Found Deceased IL - Brittany Battaglia, 33, last seen at new boyfriend’s house, missed business trip, Chicago, 2 June 2023

Silva is a registered sex offender, according to state records and court documents. He had been previously charged with attempted murder and sexual assault using a weapon back in 2009, around the same time he was added to the registry.

Silva is expected in court Thursday.
Suspect charged with concealing death of woman whose body was found in Logan Square

I would like to know what time he is expected to appear in court but unfortunately Cook County doesn't make criminal court records, not even the docket, publicly available.

Sex Offender Detail
Name:SILVA, GENESIS BAlias Name(s):Date of Birth:5/9/1989Alias DoB(s):Height:6'00"Weight:190 lbs.Sex:MRace:BAddress:2033 N KIMBALL AVE 2FCHICAGO, IL 60647

Crime Information​

• VICTIM WAS 20 YEARS OF AGE
  • OFFENDER WAS 19 AT THE TIME OF THE OFFENSE
Crimes:
  • CRIMINAL SEXUAL ABUSE FORCE
County of Conviction:Cook
Photo of SILVA, GENESIS

New details:

A missing woman found dead in a Logan Square apartment earlier this week had been repeatedly stabbed and her neck nearly severed, Cook County prosecutors said in court Thursday.

<snip>

Battaglia’s body was found stuffed into a duffle bag on Sunday when detectives searched Silva’s home, prosecutors said. Trace amounts of suspected blood were found in the apartment, as well as on a machete that Silva had in his possession, they said.

Additional:

Also in the home, police found a tarp in the kitchen with two garbage bags on it. Inside the bags were shoes, a bucket, paint suit, black gloves, Clorox and a Swifter, prosecutors said. Blood was not visible on the items but BlueStar technology indicated the presence of blood on several of them.

There were three crumbled pieces of paper with lists that included cleaning supplies and chemicals, paint suits and boots. Written on one piece of paper was "Can you ask avg. time until smell etc."

<snip>

A machete was found in the red and black backpack Silva had earlier that day and a second machete was recovered from Silva's car, prosecutors said.

DNA testing is underway on both machetes and other items in the home.

And:

Silva was seen trying to sneak back into his apartment via a rear interior stairwell and he was taken into custody, according to the bond proffer.

<snip>

Police recovered two cellphones, two smaller pocketknives and an ice pick off his person.

Battaglia’s body was found stuffed into a duffle bag on Sunday when detectives searched Silva’s home, prosecutors said. Trace amounts of suspected blood were found in the apartment, as well as on a machete that Silva had in his possession, they said.

On Sunday, detectives monitoring the area saw Silva drive off in a car and conducted a traffic stop, prosecutors said.

Silva got out of the car with a red and black backpack and walked back to his apartment with detectives, where a large duffle bag was discovered in his bedroom, prosecutors said.

Hello everyone, here is what we know/I can post about the case. Everything I've posted can be followed up though public news articles. I am not breaking any rules.

Genesis's ex wife has been in contact with Law Enforcement since Brittany's murder. According to her, he got 2 months probation for the attempt at taking her life in 2009. He was not allowed to have those weapons that were found at the crime scene/in backpack because he is on the Sex Offender Registry. Other women whom are anonymous in news sources are also coming out with violent stories. I know who these women are but for safety reasons, I am asking if anyone finds out their names not to post them here. My opinion if he is convicted of my friend Brittany's murder is the state let him fall through the cracks. He should have been put away YEARS AGO.

Brittany moved to Chicago and I hadn't seen her in person for a while, I never met her boyfriend nor have any of her suburb friends. We had no idea who this guy was, aside from her roommate and her other group of friends in the city. Her one flaw was giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, and seeing the good in everyone. That flaw took her from us, because this monster *ALLEGEDLY* took her life.

Brittany's services are tomorrow and Wednesday. Thank you all for condolences and keeping her case updated.

I can't find a single article stating this yet, but it appears Genesis is now charged with 1st degree murder also.

It now shows:

GENESIS SILVA 34 720 ILCS 5.0/9-1-A-1: MURDER - FIRST DEGRE

And that is the code for first degree murder is 5/9-1-A-1:

Sec. 9-1. First degree murder; death penalties; exceptions; separate hearings; proof; findings; appellate procedures; reversals.
(a) A person who kills an individual without lawful justification commits first degree murder if, in performing the acts which cause the death:
(1) he or she either intends to kill or do great​
bodily harm to that individual or another, or knows that such acts will cause death to that individual or another;​

Although if you expand his record it's still not yet showing the murder 1 charge there also, though the main page shows the murder 1 charge as first charge of multiple, so I do think it's probably an actual murder charge he's finally also facing.

I can't find a single article stating this yet, but it appears Genesis is now charged with 1st degree murder also.

It now shows:

GENESIS SILVA 34 720 ILCS 5.0/9-1-A-1: MURDER - FIRST DEGRE

And that is the code for first degree murder is 5/9-1-A-1:

Sec. 9-1. First degree murder; death penalties; exceptions; separate hearings; proof; findings; appellate procedures; reversals.
(a) A person who kills an individual without lawful justification commits first degree murder if, in performing the acts which cause the death:
(1) he or she either intends to kill or do great​
bodily harm to that individual or another, or knows that such acts will cause death to that individual or another;​

Although if you expand his record it's still not yet showing the murder 1 charge there also, though the main page shows the murder 1 charge as first charge of multiple, so I do think it's probably an actual murder charge he's finally also facing.
He was in Court on the 20th, court ordered to take samples of his DNA to test. He returns to court tomorrow June 28th. Hoping to find out more then.

If anyone is interested, the next court case is on 9/11. (It is public if you do an inmate search. It just hasn't been said on the news. Just wanted to clarify in case any mods see this.) Other then that there hasn't been any new updates. He's still held with no bond.
At this point its just a matter of him going through the court system. He still has not been publicly charged with her murder either. Anything said in the media is still alleged.

Never a good idea to date a sex offender, folks. The fact that that even needs saying is... wow. She did not deserve this, no victim ever does. Seeing the good in people can get you killed, especially when you're a woman.

Very informative article and worth the read. Thank you for posting, AubrieC!

One unsettling note in the article…

“Concealing a homicidal death is not a detainable offense under Illinois’ newly enacted Pretrial Fairness Act.”

It also says apparently a machete isn't classified as a weapon? wtf

“Concealing a homicidal death is not a detainable offense under Illinois’ newly enacted Pretrial Fairness Act.”

Per Illinois laws, he is at home with an ankle monitor, so he isn't off the hook completely. But its still shocking he isn't behind bars.

Never a good idea to date a sex offender, folks. The fact that that even needs saying is... wow. She did not deserve this, no victim ever does. Seeing the good in people can get you killed, especially when you're a woman.
As her friend, I agree. However, we do not know if she knew he was one or not. If she did, her only flaw was loving everyone. If she didn't we need to promote background checking our dates more. I will not deny her lack of judgement. However, this should have never happened. I'll never know what she knew. However, I never met either suspect. Nor did a lot of her friends. The only one who did was her roommate. Brittany moved to the city, an hour away so we lost touch after the move and didn't see each other as much anymore.

The main suspect Genesis Silva is in court again today. (Public info on the Cook County Inmate Search.)
We'll see what happens from here. Or if another court date will be arranged.

Hes being monitored tightly, why is it unsettling? He's going to face justice.

Per Illinois laws, he is at home with an ankle monitor, so he isn't off the hook completely. But its still shocking he isn't behind bars.

As her friend, I agree. However, we do not know if she knew he was one or not. If she did, her only flaw was loving everyone. If she didn't we need to promote background checking our dates more. I will not deny her lack of judgement. However, this should have never happened. I'll never know what she knew. However, I never met either suspect. Nor did a lot of her friends. The only one who did was her roommate. Brittany moved to the city, an hour away so we lost touch after the move and didn't see each other as much anymore.

The main suspect Genesis Silva is in court again today. (Public info on the Cook County Inmate Search.)
Are there any updates in this case????

just read this case today- his prior offenses were when he was 19 and he just got probation so a lot of people would have believed that he had changed or that the young marital situation was a one off...IMO....really disturbing.

Are there any updates in this case????
Nothing I can state publicly because I don't want to break any site rules. I can say they both are working through the court system. Genesis' next court date is today. (1/16). Peter's next court date is tomorrow (1/17). Both of these dates can be found on their public inmate search records for any admins curious about my information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back