IL IL - Chicago, WhtMale UP6966, 38-55, on Lake Michigan breakwall, Apr'10

Did you call Chicago coroners office or the LE contacts listed earlier? I'm sure they could say if he was id'd or not.

I called got transfered like 6 times, then got to the right place and the guy has the day off. I am going to retry tomorrow. I will let you know.

His case is back on NamUs but without the facial photos so it doesn't sound as though he has been identified yet.

The clothes and shoes are very typical for a sailor or powerboater as found at any of the harbors in Chicago- there are multiple harbors in that area- Montrose, Belmont, Burnham, Monroe, Diversey. These are fairly pricey items- belt, shoes, pants, etc. and it is hard to believe that this guy was not ID'd on Day One? It sounds like "his boat" went down or he went overboard in Lake Michigan. The only other thing I can think of is someone "passing through" where a boat may be missing but his family may not have any idea where the boat was at the time it sank? Or he took a boat out from one of those harbors but he lives alone and no one has realized he is missing. The boats are just going into the harbors now so he may have went down last Fall based on the appearance.

This one baffles me. The shoes are expensive. Even if Pete's scenario was correct, why hasn't anyone reported him missing outside of family? Or could this be a case of LE not taking the missing persons report? or us not having access to a missing persons listing?

I am not sure if this was a case from last fall or from this spring... we hit the 80's multiple days in March and almost a full week in April before the UID was found. I looked up weather history and it was 82 degrees in Chicago the day he was found. From April 1-April 15th there were 4 days in the 80's, 5 days in the 70's, 3 days in the 60's and 3 days where the temperature was 55 or lower. Even in March there were multiple days in the 60's and one day at the end when it was 77 degrees. I guess my point is we had a NICE spring and could easily see someone taking there boat out for an afternoon spin. (I am thinking smaller a boat that goes in and out on a trailer, not on a hoist)

I guess I should also add that it would depend on how much time he spent in the water, and how much time he spent on shore. Average water temp around that day in the Chicago area of Lake Michigan are around 40F.

In October of 2009, also unseasonably warm...still a lot of 50's and 60's and the occasional 70. Same for November, didn't go below freezing until 27th of November. Then is started to cool down for December.

And that's your weather report....

I checked with family that is former LE and also a boater. He informed me the Little Calumet does NOT flow into Lake Michigan, but flows south. - which I previously posted. I'd rule out the little calumet since it flows in the opposite direction of Lake Michigan.

In October of 2009, also unseasonably warm...still a lot of 50's and 60's and the occasional 70. Same for November, didn't go below freezing until 27th of November. Then is started to cool down for December.

And that's your weather report....

We also had the warmest April on record in Chicago this year..... It is possible he could have fallen into the lake sometime this spring as well with the unseasonably warm spring we've had.

If it was not a boating accident what other possibilities are there? Jet ski accident? Any idea's anyone?

There were a few swimmers lost last summer after undertow kicked up from a storm, but I wouldn't think he would be swimming with shoes on.

Definately not swimming with shoes on..... but why can't we find a missing persons report? The only things that come to mind for me, is someone young-relatively young, financially independent who travels frequently and isn't always in routine contact with friends and family. But.... if the 6 mo' estimate for being deceased is accurate why no missing persons report after a missed holiday or event of somekind?

Even if this person wasn't close to family, if he was employed why no missing persons report when he failed to show for work?

I have a dumb question..... which, imo, is not necessarily dumb because the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. how is it determined how long someone has been deceased when they are in water? I realize the lake water is cold....

I'm just so perplexed by the expensive shoes....... and I would think with money, someone would be noticed as missing.

No, it's not a stupid question. I've wondered that about how they age skeletal remains that have been in a location for several years.

I know that entomologists can evaluate remnants of insect activity to determine approximate time of death, but you probably don't get much insect activity with someone who has been submerged.

So not trying to be argumentative here... but I really think the guy who went missing in the little Calumet is a good possibility considering they never figured out who he was. And here is a link to Indiana University which is part of a watershed project including the little Calumet river.

http://www.iun.edu/~environw/water .html

The Little Calumet-Galien:

The Little Calumet-Galien is one of the WRAS locations. The overall water quality goal for the Little Calumet-Galien Watershed is that all water bodies meet the applicable water quality standards for their designated uses as determined by the State of Indiana, under the provisions of the Clean Water Act.

The Little Calumet-Galien watershed is composed of portions of two larger watersheds within Indiana and is an eight digit or larger watershed. The Little Calumet River collects its waters from many small streams and drainage ditches in northwestern Indiana before emptying into Lake Michigan via Burns Ditch and the Calumet Harbor in Illinois. A unique feature of the Little Calumet River is that its direction of flow corresponds with the water levels in Lake Michigan. The location in the river where the direction of flow splits between Indiana and Illinois shifts, depending on the lake levels and climate conditions throughout the year. Agriculture is an important use in the Little Calumet-Galien Watershed. 40.4 percent of the land cover in the watershed is agricultural vegetation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back