IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by imstilla.grandma, Oct 9, 2019.

1. mickey2942

mickey2942 On Time Out

Why is the child, who had no intent, and isn't exactly the brightest bulb on the tree, even having to go through the trial?

Plead it out. Counseling. Done.

2. casesensitive

casesensitive Well-Known Member

I managed to find specifics on prior media articles, and you are correct...Kyle had to escape from inside the trailer. I did recall that he ran to alert his grandparents.

3. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I don't understand why they are doing this.

4. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Yes, @Lusitana, and of your previous post, I agree completely.
    This was a horror indeed, but charging, blaming and trying this boy is also IMO a horror. SMH.

5. mickey2942

mickey2942 On Time Out

There is no option for incarceration for a child this young. I am not really sure what the reasoning is behind this...if they have the evidence for trial, why doesn't his lawyer plead it out? Or do they think that a jury may completely exonerate him?

Either way, the charges can be expunged from his record at age 18.

6. Lusitana

I just don't understand how they can even prove that he had homicidal intent. He was 8 at the time of the fire, how many kids set up fires by accident? It's unfortunate but it does happen and those kids surely didn't want to kill anyone. I don't believe this kid wanted anyone dead, it was a stupid mistake.

7. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Has anyone seen an article - maybe with the next court date - about what happened at the hearing on 5/11?

TIA!

8. casesensitive

casesensitive Well-Known Member

This is also what I don't understand. It took them 5 months before they charged Kyle with arson and intentional murder. If he confessed to starting the fire and stated he wanted to kill everybody, why would he be allowed to live with his grandparents? If child psychologists were involved and assessed that his motive was murder, wouldn't they recommend that he be admitted to a child mental health facility? We will have to wait for the justification on his charges, but actually taking this child to court is a travesty.

9. Lusitana

I believe he got nailed down by his own mother, and ultimately by his cousin. If I'm recalling correctly, his mother claimed he had several mental health issues, and his cousin was very public and, to be 100% honest, quite cruel, about getting "justice" for her daughter. I get that she's hurting, she lost her baby but what does anyone get from a 9-year-old boy that clearly had no intent to murder 5 people being put through something like this? He does not understand his chrages, he does not understand the court procedings AT ALL, he cries in court. I don't understand why they keep going with this. It's so cruel. We know that children as young as 8/9 have commited horrible crimes and had evil intentions, and we know that several younger children do have the capability of grasping the court procedings and everything that it entails, but I think it's clear as day that Kyle is not mature enough to really get what's happening to him. And if he doesn't understand, is it really doing anyone any good? I think this child is just being even more victimized than he already has been since the day he was born. Just make arrangements for him to stay in a loving, caring and healthy environment, get him into therapy and counseling, teach him the tools he needs to deal with the issues he might have, make him do some age appropriate community service, let him be a kid. This boy is innocent, even if he caused the fire, he is innocent.
    I don't want to get into conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't be super surprised if he wasn't even the one who started the fire. Something feels really off about this whole story.

10. Marg from Oz

Marg from Oz Well-Known Member

I agree. Never heard it before. Paramedics would have been working on her if she was still alive. I read that they found the father and rose dead next to each other on the floor. She's making things up as she goes along.

11. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

She has a been wildly inconsistent, if not deceitful, in her various versions of events. If they are relying upon her word, to charge this poor child with murder, it is a travesty.

12. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

well, a private investigator can only be a good thing in this case, right? They can’t be meaning to investigate Kyle, as it’d be a really shallow dive.

13. Niner

I tried googling updates but just getting old articles back in Oct. of 2019.

@borndem - I see you here! [​IMG] Can you see if you can find something? TIA! :)

Subiechik21, Marg from Oz and MyBelle like this.
  14. Niner

bumping for @borndem - any updates in the court site? TIA! :)

Subiechik21 and Sweetsbeach like this.
  15. Marg from Oz

Marg from Oz Well-Known Member

This had gone very quiet. I hope Kyle is getting all the professional help he needs and normality is coming back into his life.

16. Lusitana

Does anyone know his dob?

Marg from Oz and Subiechik21 like this.
  17. Niner

all I know is he was 9 on 10/7/19 when he was arrested - if you find it - please post, so I can have that in my notes. TIA! :)

Marg from Oz and Subiechik21 like this.
  18. Lusitana

Can't seem to find anything.

19. Niner

Bumping up for @borndem - can you access Woodford County? Oh - wait probably won't be in there since he's a minor... :rolleyes:

Well - than just bumping up to see if anyone has heard anything "new" - ?

TIA! [​IMG]

20. Lusitana

It's a bummer that we don't have any locals in this thread, I bet the people that live around the family know what's going on.