IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

Discussion in 'Currently Awaiting Trial' started by imstilla.grandma, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

YaYa_521, Betty P, Kakidoll and 4 others like this.

2. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Thanks for this informative post, @imstilla.grandma. So glad to hear that the boy's interest is being supported. Even if he may have been at the scene when the fire was started -- which I doubt -- I'll never believe he planned and performed it by himself. Never.
    Hoping LE will truly get to the bottom of this, but I'm not betting on it... Also hoping he is in a supportive and positive situation now.

3. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

I wonder what this "new evidence" is. And I sure hope this child is okay. It seems like he does have people that actually care about him.

4. Niner

Monday, Sept. 13th:
    *Status Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
    Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 11/19/20 reference post #924 here:
    IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019

12/23/20 Update: Woodford County Circuit Judge Charles Feeney held a pre-trial hearing Wednesday afternoon; Judge Feeney issued a subpoena to the defense team requesting paperwork for the State's Attorney's Office. The brief hearing lasted all of 3 minutes, most of that time spent on scheduling the next conference. January 7th at 11:00am legal teams will reconvene for a case management conference.
    8/24/21 Update: Defense attorney Peter Dluski critized the police investigation into the incident in a hearing on 8/12/21. Describing the police investigation as “extremely terrible in this case,” defense lawyer Dluski asked Judge Charles Feeney for more time to prepare for a hearing on a defense motion to bar certain evidence from the boy’s trial. According to Dluski, new information about the handling of the case was disclosed on Monday in a deposition of Woodford County sheriff’s deputy Robert Gillson. The lawyer said he wants to look into allegations that the state’s attorney’s office may have overstepped its bounds by appointing a guardian ad litem, a lawyer who would represent the interests of the child. The judge asked Dluski to focus his arguments for a continuance on specific allegations of violations of the child’s constitutional rights. Defense questions about search warrants & how the mobile home was released after the fire meet the standard for constitutional claims, said Feeney, in granting a delay. The defense also is waiting on additional mental health records from authorities. State’s Attorney Greg Minger said the state was ready to move forward with the hearing. If convicted, the boy faces probation & court-ordered counseling. A 9/13/21 hearing is scheduled to review the status of the case.

LaborDayRN, Lynetta, borndem and 7 others like this.
  5. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

Thanks @Niner. This case still stinks to me.

6. Kiranerys

Kiranerys #LiveLikeLizzy

Me too!

7. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

A half-day hearing is set for Dec. 3 for a 10-year-old boy charged with murder and arson in connection to a 2019 fire that killed five people near Goodfield.

December’s hearing, set Monday by Judge Charles Feeney, will argue a defense motion that aims to bar Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger from bringing certain evidence to court.

The boy did not appear in Monday’s brief hearing through Zoom, which came about a month after defense lawyer Peter Dluski criticized the police investigation for the case.

A court-appointed childhood trauma expert last year found the boy unfit to stand trial.

If convicted, the boy could be placed on probation for up to five years, as well as be ordered to complete counseling and therapy.
    Hearing set for boy charged in Goodfield fire that killed 5

8. Niner

Just a bump up - was wondering what might have happened to the case against Katrina? I have her last hearing on Jan. 8, 2021.

@MsMarple ? TIA! [​IMG]

9. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

Sorry Niner, I tried but can't help on this one.
    [​IMG]

Marg from Oz and Niner like this.
  10. Lusitana

I think about K. a lot. Hope he's doing well.

11. HilaryHormone

HilaryHormone Well-Known Member

Accidentally clicked on the latest update for this case and just had to go back to the beginning to read through. What a mess.

My hope is that KA has been receiving intensive therapeutic support in the time his case has slowly progressing through the system.

Devastating that his lawyer appears to be one of very few adults in his life who holds him in positive regard.

12. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

Did her case have anything to do with violating a gag order in place after she was interviewed on CBS? Or did we ever know what protective order she had violated?

Attorney requests gag order for mother of child charged with murder | CIProud.com

9 year-old boy charged with murder back in court | WCIA.com
    It was also confirmed on Monday that the Department of Child and Family Services requested a gag order to be placed on all parties involved.

State’s Attorney Greg Minger confirmed a gag order has been placed on all parties, which was requested by the Department of Child and Family Services.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021 at 3:11 AM
  13. Niner

To my knowledge - I believe she tried to talk with her son - which was against the gag order. I "could" be wrong though....

14. Lilibet

Thanks. I wondered if she had talked to the press again, but didn’t find anything. So you’re probably right about her trying to talk to her son. Her interview was disgusting and handed the prosecutor added info for his case against her son on a silver platter, in addition to publicly identifying him. :mad:

15. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

She should be arrested if she tries to contact that poor child again. She his his biggest threat. I also have way more suspicions abut HER involvement in that fire than his.

That's why she is always talking about his 'faults' and his issues because she wants the spotlight to be on him instead of her. I sure hope the defense attorney can get the judge to privately view all those old videos this sweet boy made at home. It may give the judge some important background information.

16. Lusitana

I'm actually VERY surprised that his mother doesn't have a new man and a baby already.

He was EIGHT years old at the time of the fire. He obviously didn't have any intentions of killing anyone, he can't even grasp the court proceedings about his own case. This child has been victimized his own life. She's a crappy mother, and if she knew he liked to mess with fire like she has stated, it was her responsability to make sure that nothing that could cause a fire was within his reach.

I wish this case could be over and done already. He needs therapy and actual help, going to court over and over again until he can understand the proceedings is not going to help anyone.

17. Lilibet

I totally agree with you @katydid23. I hope she hasn’t already convinced him that he did things he didn’t.

18. JayWill

JayWill Well-Known Member

Snipped by me. It may not be a violation of his constitutional rights, but to charge a nine year old with murder is a violation of his human rights IMO.

19. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

Is this the case where the mom was clearly high as a kite in her son's YouTube videos?

20. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Yes, sounds like you saw his you tubes. He is young and naive, but very well meaning and enthusiastic. She is high, sarcastic and lazy. JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.