IL IL - Dermot Kelly, 16, Oglesby, Jan 1972

Ok I had a blonde moment...The Illinois River is the river that borders Oglesbury. Sorry about that was being very spacey...

Shamrock5374

Ok was having a serious blonde moment...the major river by Oglesby is the Illinois River. Sorry I spaced on that one...

Shamrock5374

How would it be possible to find out if Dermot's Social Security Number has been used since his disappearance? This may give us some clues as to his whereabouts, especially if this number was used within a reasonable time frame.

I would also like to know what the two psychics that his father hired to help find him may have found.

Satch

Bumping up for Dermot,

Thank you for staying strong and supporting his case, everyone!

Satch

Bumping up for any updates,

Thinking and caring about you Dermot. You will never be forgotten.

Satch

Timeline might be a little off, unless the run-off-with-hippies theory was true. UID boy found in LA after a suicide and a note was found. From my pov the personalities of both Dermot and the UID are quite similar.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32202

Yes,

The philosophical nature of Dermot Kelly COULD be something that may be reflected in those writings. I wonder what evidence LE may have collected in this case concerning notes, journal writings, wilderness survival skills that Dermot may have planned? Any clues that may have indicated where he might have gone, and why?

Has anyone contacted the detective or agency associated with Dermot's case for any new news, evidence, or information? Anyone who might be out there that might be able to provide further clues as to Dermot's whereabouts after almost forty years of unknowns and dead-ends would be of great help.

I want to thank everyone for their kindness and support in advance.

Satch

Originally Posted by Cubby
A call to the LaSalle County sheriffs office led to the following info.

The detective I spoke with believes Dermot was ruled out as one of the remaining unidentified victims of Gacy. He didn't have the file in front of him, but his recollection was that Dermot was compared and ruled out.

He also let me know Dermot was compared to a then unidentified man who was involved in a train wreck in Wisconsin. I could not find a still unidentified male who matched that description at Doenetwork, so perhaps there is no file online -or- that person has since been identified.

There is a possibility Dermot drowned as LE's investigation led to finding some foot prints that led to a river area - he did not indicate which river.

I have a call into the Cook County medical examiners office to inquire if there is a list of rule outs for the unidentified victims of Gacy. I'm hoping for a call back, if not I will try again in a few days.

Thought about Dermot's case last night and could not sleep because of it. Has anyone been able to contact LE detective about at what River the footprints were found, and why does this evidence lead the detective to believe that Dermot may have drowned in a river? How were these footprints compared and analyzed? At what river where the footprints found?

And the other thing from the detective we might hope to find out. What characteristics of the UID man in the Wisconsin train wreck led LE to believe it could have been Dermot? When did this train-wreck occur in relation to Dermot's disappearance?

Other lingering questions:

1.) If Dermot may have drowned according to LE and if they know the river, was the river searched? Wouldn't Dermot's body be found had he drowned? What about the wooded areas around where Dermot lived?

2.) How much time passed between when Dermot left home and when the Kelly's began their investigation? When did they contract LE?

3.) Where any notes, clothes, other personal belongings of Dermot used that may have helped find him? If Dermot sadly has passed away, what would be needed in terms of DNA samples to verify this?

4.) If Dermot is still out there alive, why hasn't he contacted anyone? Maybe he doesn't want to do that. However, if so he certainly "covered his tracks" with great intelligence in the process.

Be safe Dermot. Wherever you may be.

Satch

Bumping up for Dermot,

Also inquiring if anyone ever was able to find out more information from the detective who found footprints near a river and sadly theorized that Dermot may have drowned? (From the quoted post above.) What river was near the footprints? Why does the detective think that the footprints may have been Dermot's?

Satch

I have not made contact with the detective since that initial inquiry some time ago. Real life has me a bit busy these days so if you wish to make contact to ask those questions, perhaps getting an email for the detective and passing along a list of those questions please do so!

I have not made contact with the detective since that initial inquiry some time ago. Real life has me a bit busy these days so if you wish to make contact to ask those questions, perhaps getting an email for the detective and passing along a list of those questions please do so!

Thanks Cubby!

Hope you are not TOO OVERWORKED! I realize that Dermot's case is old, and hope that it has not been tossed away or something like that. We have to get some closure for what might have happened to him.

Yes, if anyone has any forwarding contacts for those who could help answer our questions above, I share your view, Cubby! Submit them to whoever might be able to help.

Or if anyone has any NEW questions or thoughts about Dermot's case, please post! Dermot needs to know that wherever he is, it are sites like these that will seek to make sure that he is never forgotten!

Thanks to everyone in advance who might have updates on our forums for this case.

Satch

Thinking about Dermot tonight and praying for his peace and happiness, wherever he may be.

Satch

A call to the LaSalle County sheriffs office led to the following info.

The detective I spoke with believes Dermot was ruled out as one of the remaining unidentified victims of Gacy. He didn't have the file in front of him, but his recollection was that Dermot was compared and ruled out.

He also let me know Dermot was compared to a then unidentified man who was involved in a train wreck in Wisconsin. I could not find a still unidentified male who matched that description at Doenetwork, so perhaps there is no file online -or- that person has since been identified.

There is a possibility Dermot drowned as LE's investigation led to finding some foot prints that led to a river area - he did not indicate which river.

I have a call into the Cook County medical examiners office to inquire if there is a list of rule outs for the unidentified victims of Gacy. I'm hoping for a call back, if not I will try again in a few days.

It would be interesting to know the year of the Wisconsin train wreck that had Dermot compared to a UID. The footprints near the river keep coming back in my mind. Would be interesting to know what river, and what about Dermot's case led LE to believe they might have been his shoe prints. Would it be the size of Dermot's shows, or something else?

The other element would be any writings, in journals, or friends, and classmates at the time to whom Dermot may have talked about his plans to leave home, and where he went? If Dermot actually committed suicide, and the "moving away to start a new life" was just a ploy to distance himself from his family, it is somewhat surprising that his body was not found, or if it might have been found, remains UID. That is so sad.

It's also sad that if Demot is still alive and out there that he has chosen not to contact anyone to bring closure to his case after almost forty years!

Satch

Satch, the Illinois river is the closest to where Dermot went missing. If you do a google map, street view not satellite view, of Oglesby you'll see there are three State Parks in the area. The most popular being Starved Rock state park. Non satellite view will give you an idea of the enormity of the state parks in the area and how much undeveloped land, and area's that people might not travel. Now granted in January there would be no leaves on the trees, but they are so heavy I don't know if that would have impaired a search in any way....

A few weeks ago I took my son and a friend of his to a waterpark very near Starved Rock. We hiked a few miles along the marked trail. There were numerous signs everywhere indicating how dangerous it could be to not stay on the trail. Having been there finally for the first time, gave me a much better idea of just how much area a search would have encompassed and how someone could be missed during a search.

I do hope the answers to Dermots disappearance come one day, hopefully sooner than later. If he is out there somewhere I hope he knows it's never too late to come forward. Even if it is just letting LE know he is alive and well, his location and current information can remain private if he so wishes.

Search, the Illinois river is the closest to where Dermot went missing. If you do a goggle map, street view not satellite view, of Ogles by you'll see there are three State Parks in the area. The most popular being Starved Rock state park. Non satellite view will give you an idea of the enormity of the state parks in the area and how much undeveloped land, and area's that people might not travel. Now granted in January there would be no leaves on the trees, but they are so heavy I don't know if that would have impaired a search in any way....

A few weeks ago I took my son and a friend of his to a water park very near Starved Rock. We hiked a few miles along the marked trail. There were numerous signs everywhere indicating how dangerous it could be to not stay on the trail. Having been there finally for the first time, gave me a much better idea of just how much area a search would have encompassed and how someone could be missed during a search.

I do hope the answers to Dermot's disappearance come one day, hopefully sooner than later. If he is out there somewhere I hope he knows it's never too late to come forward. Even if it is just letting LE know he is alive and well, his location and current information can remain private if he so wishes.

Thanks Cobby for your kindness and thoughts about Dermot's case.

Every time I think about that very sad day that Dermot left home with no clues to his whereabouts, about a month ago, I was thinking about the weather on that day. Below is a link to a weather history almanac, and I remember typing in the zip code for Ogelsby and getting some weather information.

I got this weather data from the site below:

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/

On January 30th, 1972, the closest available weather station to Ogles by, IL (PEORIA GREATER PEORIA AP, IL), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 12.9F
Low Temp: 0F
Average Temp: 7.2F
Dewpoint: -1.4F
Wind Speed: 8.3 Knots
Precipitation Amount: 0 Inches
Snow Depth: n/a
Observations: n/a

See more historical weather results for Ogles by, IL

With a high temp of just over 12 degrees and only a jacket and a rifle, (assuming the weather data is correct) I just could not see Dermot surviving for very long with no food, extra clothing, weather, or lodgings. A freezing temp is 32 degrees. And we know he had a gun. If Dermot hitchhiked, who would pick up a hitchhiker with a gun? If Dermot bought bus fare, to anywhere, he wouldn't be allowed on a bus with a rifle.

Was carrying the rifle a ploy? In which case he hid it somewhere? Than hitchhiked or boarded a bus to let's say go to California to join the hippie movement. About a year and a half ago, a relative of Dermot's did post here saying that they believe Dermot may have left home to join the hippie movement. If he had planned to do that, where were his food, clothes, other belongings that he would have needed for such a long journey? The family claimed that Dermot could have done this, because they said he had friends who did the same thing, or maybe talked about doing the same thing. Who were those people? Where are they now? How well did they know Dermot? I think someone out there knows or knew Dermot's plans. I am not saying they know where he might have gone. Although, they certainly COULD have known. Dermot may not have had many friends as a loner-type, philosophical person. However, he was reported to be a great listener. He must of had SOMEONE with whom he confided before he left home.

This is a very intelligent kid. This does not strike me as someone who would leave home on the spur of the moment. I think Dermot thought about this for a very, very, long time. Months, to perhaps years. What about phone records as evidence? Were there any calls made to say California, or other out of state areas on the Kelly's phone bill for the previous month, or the month of January? If the family did not know other people out of state, but those calls appeared, Dermot would have likely made those calls to perhaps plan his new life.

However, even under all these sets of circumstances, we still have a gentlemen who left home with no explanation, without any traveling necessities, or means of survival in cold weather over the long haul. There are many painful pieces of the puzzle in the Dermot Kelly case that have been missing for years!

Satch

Thanks Cobby for your kindness and thoughts about Dermot's case.

Every time I think about that very sad day that Dermot left home with no clues to his whereabouts, about a month ago, I was thinking about the weather on that day. Below is a link to a weather history almanac, and I remember typing in the zip code for Ogelsby and getting some weather information.

I got this weather data from the site below:

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/

On January 30th, 1972, the closest available weather station to Ogles by, IL (PEORIA GREATER PEORIA AP, IL), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 12.9F
Low Temp: 0F
Average Temp: 7.2F
Dewpoint: -1.4F
Wind Speed: 8.3 Knots
Precipitation Amount: 0 Inches
Snow Depth: n/a
Observations: n/a

See more historical weather results for Ogles by, IL

With a high temp of just over 12 degrees and only a jacket and a rifle, (assuming the weather data is correct) I just could not see Dermot surviving for very long with no food, extra clothing, weather, or lodgings. A freezing temp is 32 degrees. And we know he had a gun. If Dermot hitchhiked, who would pick up a hitchhiker with a gun? If Dermot bought bus fare, to anywhere, he wouldn't be allowed on a bus with a rifle.

Was carrying the rifle a ploy? In which case he hid it somewhere? Than hitchhiked or boarded a bus to let's say go to California to join the hippie movement. About a year and a half ago, a relative of Dermot's did post here saying that they believe Dermot may have left home to join the hippie movement. If he had planned to do that, where were his food, clothes, other belongings that he would have needed for such a long journey? The family claimed that Dermot could have done this, because they said he had friends who did the same thing, or maybe talked about doing the same thing. Who were those people? Where are they now? How well did they know Dermot? I think someone out there knows or knew Dermot's plans. I am not saying they know where he might have gone. Although, they certainly COULD have known. Dermot may not have had many friends as a loner-type, philosophical person. However, he was reported to be a great listener. He must of had SOMEONE with whom he confided before he left home.

This is a very intelligent kid. This does not strike me as someone who would leave home on the spur of the moment. I think Dermot thought about this for a very, very, long time. Months, to perhaps years. What about phone records as evidence? Were there any calls made to say California, or other out of state areas on the Kelly's phone bill for the previous month, or the month of January? If the family did not know other people out of state, but those calls appeared, Dermot would have likely made those calls to perhaps plan his new life.

However, even under all these sets of circumstances, we still have a gentlemen who left home with no explanation, without any traveling necessities, or means of survival in cold weather over the long haul. There are many painful pieces of the puzzle in the Dermot Kelly case that have been missing for years!

Satch

A connection, if any exists, could be to also study any other missing children from the vicinity of Ogelsby, or say Chicago, who may have left home without explanation on or about the same time as Dermot. For example:

Richard Griener disappeared while out sledding two weeks before Dermot left home. Note that I do not know how far Pekin Il, is from Ogelsby. Richard's case is here:

IL IL - Richard William Griener, 13, Pekin, 17 Jan 1972 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

There is no evidence of a connection between the cases. However, establishing a connection between one or more people in the same area, or within reasonable proximity, might give some new evidence in the Kelly case. If investigators could talk to someone, anyone who knew Dermot, or new of others who left home at or about the same time as Dermot, this could give some new clues to the investigation.

Satch

Thinking of Dermot and bumping up for any updates or leads.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back