IL IL - Elsie Paroubek, 10, Chicago, 7 May 1911

I read about Albert Fish. He makes Jeffrey Dahmer look like a saint. From how Elsie Paroubek was killed, I don't think Fish killed her.

Not Fish's M.O., not his style, nothing about this suggests Fish at all.

I wonder why (Frank Paroubek) would commit suicide.

I admit it's a wild guess on my part, based on the fact that he died on the anniversary of Elsie's funeral.

I was thinking about the fact that he was getting those anonymous threatening letters, and the futility of the police in tracking down the killer despite their best efforts. He'd traveled all over Illinois and Wisconsin hunting down those gypsy wagons. He must have continued the search for the truth long after the police told him to forget it. It must have negatively affected his work, whether he was an independent contractor or worked for a company.

I wish I had access to the Chicago Daily News, as I'm betting they followed this story for a lot longer than the Tribune did and maybe they reported on what happened with the police dragnet and the Paroubeks' boarder. Not like he did it, more like maybe he saw or heard something they could follow up.

I'm probably wrong. The odds against suicide are pretty high. He was a Catholic and they had all those other kids to support. But maybe that's part of it, maybe he worked himself to exhaustion. The family was left destitute after the search, they couldn't even afford to bury her. Even with all the donations coming in, it must have been pretty hard.

Not Fish's M.O., not his style, nothing about this suggests Fish at all.
From what I recall about Albert Fish, he would torture is victims and mutilate them.

I admit it's a wild guess on my part, based on the fact that he died on the anniversary of Elsie's funeral.

I was thinking about the fact that he was getting those anonymous threatening letters, and the futility of the police in tracking down the killer despite their best efforts. He'd traveled all over Illinois and Wisconsin hunting down those gypsy wagons. He must have continued the search for the truth long after the police told him to forget it. It must have negatively affected his work, whether he was an independent contractor or worked for a company.

I wish I had access to the Chicago Daily News, as I'm betting they followed this story for a lot longer than the Tribune did and maybe they reported on what happened with the police dragnet and the Paroubeks' boarder. Not like he did it, more like maybe he saw or heard something they could follow up.

I'm probably wrong. The odds against suicide are pretty high. He was a Catholic and they had all those other kids to support. But maybe that's part of it, maybe he worked himself to exhaustion. The family was left destitute after the search, they couldn't even afford to bury her. Even with all the donations coming in, it must have been pretty hard.

Perhaps, he could of been so grief stricken. I know a parent losing a child is the worst.

Loss of a Child
http://www.allpsychologycareers.com/topics/loss-of-a-child.html

This looks like the Paroubek home where the funeral was held on the front lawn (now concrete) it was a 3min walk to her aunts house.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3082014276-2320-S-Albany-Ave-Chicago-IL-60623

Thanks! When I was writing the Elsie article for Wikipedia, I used Google street views to look for the house. I "walked" around the neighborhood for a bit.

I still want to see if I can get permission to use a picture of the house and a map showing Elsie's route to her aunt's place.

I agree it was the organ grinder. Not sure if this was posted yet. Elsie was 4 according to the article and told her mom she was going to her auntie's. Became distracted by the organ grinder, joined a group of girls to follow him (including a cousin) and they all left her alone with him.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=f7RSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZTcNAAAAIBAJ&pg=4594,5320618&dq=elsie+paroubek&hl=en

Her funeral was attended by 3,000 people.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Uk4oAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gAUGAAAAIBAJ&pg=1336,4945044&dq=elsie+paroubek&hl=en

There are a ton of pay per view articles.

I agree it was the organ grinder. Not sure if this was posted yet. Elsie was 4 according to the article and told her mom she was going to her auntie's. Became distracted by the organ grinder, joined a group of girls to follow him (including a cousin) and they all left her alone with him.

The reason I wonder about the organ grinder is actually something from A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, which is closely based on Betty Smith's real life. In chapter 13, Francie along with other children follow street musicians and Mary warns her children to stay away from Sicilian ones. She says they're in the "Black Hand" and lure kids with their performances, then kidnap them and hold them for ransom.

That scene flashed into my head the first time I read that Elsie had been following an organ grinder. I have never been able to satisfy my curiosity about that. In researching for the Wikipedia article, I read all the newspaper articles you mentioned, including the pay-per-view ones (yes, I too spent $25 to find Elsie), and none of them said whether he had been found and questioned. I can't believe Inspector Healey and Capt. Mahoney would pass a thing like that up or fail to question Josie and the other kids about what they remembered about him. Must have been in the Daily News.

I finally managed to acquire several articles on Elsie from the Chicago Daily News, April and May 1911. I am not sure I have every article but there are plenty of details in these microfilm prints.

The Elsie Paroubek article on Wikipedia now reflects what is in those articles for the most part. The early ones, where Frank and Det. Komouros were chasing around after every gypsy wagon in the Midwest, are really tragic. They're also frustrating and the police were getting frustrated too. They clearly believed the gypsies had nothing to do with it, but Frank kept insisting they did. The police thought she either fell in the canal or was dead somewhere closer to home, but were having to waste manpower on false leads.

It also seems that Frank may have had prosopagnosia. Several times they found little girls in the gypsy camps that he would swear were Elsie, and it never was -- the descriptions didn't match up, and the cops would have to persuade him.

The really bizarre part of all this is the anonymous letters Frank received. First there was a report in the Daily News that Karolina had gotten a ransom note -- I think for $500 - which the police would neither confirm nor deny. Then Frank started getting "insulting" letters, one of which threatened him with "ill treatment". The detectives sought the letter writer thinking he had witnessed Elsie falling into the canal. On the 14th they were saying in the Trib that it was "a matter of hours" before this guy was arrested. But he never was. In fact that's the next to the last article about Elsie, ever.

You haven't really seen Elsie if all you've seen is the faded print online or in Bonesteel's book or the Darger film. That spooky look is the print and does no justice to her beautiful blue eyes.

220px-Elsie_-_lg.jpg

Elsie Paroubek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I don't know how to keep it from printing the link twice.)

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2013/229/19844142_137683446302.jpg

Contributed by cemetery photographer Elliott Mason. I'd have posted the actual picture here, but it's pretty big and I'm not sure of the rules on larger size images.

I don't read Czech, but I puzzled it out with Google Translate, and it says just about what you'd expect it to:

Here rests Eliska Paroubek, tragic victim in Chicago. Safe and [loved? this is the part where it gets blurry]. Died at age 5 years. Year 1911.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2013/229/19844142_137683446302.jpg

Contributed by cemetery photographer Elliott Mason. I'd have posted the actual picture here, but it's pretty big and I'm not sure of the rules on larger size images.

I don't read Czech, but I puzzled it out with Google Translate, and it says just about what you'd expect it to:

Here rests Eliska Paroubek, tragic victim in Chicago. Safe and [loved? this is the part where it gets blurry]. Died at age 5 years. Year 1911.

I am Czech and actually the tombstone says: Here rests Eliška Paroubek, tragic victim of Chicago safety and human urges. Died at the age of 4 years in 1911.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/elsie_zpsaoeaoon0.jpg

According to the Bloomington Weekly Pantagraph, May 12, 1911, the coroner's jury said Elsie was murdered. Another article stated that gypsies, who had camping alongside the canal where Elsie was found, may have been responsible for her death.

Another article in the Centralia Evening Sentinel, May 13, 1911 states a posse of detectives are hot after Mark Kinsella in the vicinity of Stickney, IL. He was taken into custody yesterday and questioned closely concerning the murder of Elsie Paroubek. The article goes on to say he was allowed to return to his cabin for the night but then disappeared. I couldn't find any follow up to that Centralia article.

Photos of Elsie and her parents (New Castle News, May 16, 1911...

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/elsie2_zpsiyknjdsu.jpg

I am Czech and actually the tombstone says: Here rests Eliška Paroubek, tragic victim of Chicago safety and human urges. Died at the age of 4 years in 1911.

Thank you. I have submitted this to Findagrave so it'll appear on her listing.

I wonder if Jaromír Pšenka wrote that. The money for such a large, expensive stone may have come from the contributions that poured in, or maybe from Pšenka himself.

Why do you assert that "Elsie was apparently their only child."

Wikipedia, Reddit, and the podcast "Insolved Murders - True Crime Stories" all indicate that, "She was the youngest of five siblings and was the Paroubek’s seventh child (two had died in infancy)."

Even Find-a-Grave indicates that she had at least one sister who is buried in the family plot.

Why do you assert that "Elsie was apparently their only child."

Wikipedia, Reddit, and the podcast "Insolved Murders - True Crime Stories" all indicate that, "She was the youngest of five siblings and was the Paroubek’s seventh child (two had died in infancy)."

Even Find-a-Grave indicates that she had at least one sister who is buried in the family plot.

When I wrote that, I didn't know about the rest of the children. Then I found out about them and put them in the Wikipedia article. They were brought to my attention by "Dogmama08" from Find-a-Grave.

Doing some thread necromancy here

They weren't Catholic, and from what info I can find it seems like the date of Frank's death was a coincidence (or perhaps indirectly caused by the stress).

Also, I'm going to straight up repudiate some of the earlier posts in this thread, particularly by jerseylily who has since gone inactive it seems- the anti-Rromani (g*psy) speculation has no basis in reality. The whole idea of Rromani people kidnapping children, particularly "blue-eyed, yellow-haired children" to quote the investigators at the time, is on the level of blood libel in terms of dangerous and untrue. Frank's insistence that the "g*psies" had taken his daughter was more based on a) cultural attitudes- both what he likely brought with him from Europe (specifically, the area that is now the Czech Republic) where anti-Rromani attitudes are unfortunately still quite prevalent and the general view of Rromani as inherently criminal, deceptive, and threatening to 'white' people that was commonplace at the time (not to say that America doesn't have anti-Rromani ideas and stereotypes today- it's more that there's a distance to it because there isn't a huge population that many Americans interact with and thus base their attitudes off of pop culture rather than actual malicious intent); and b) a lack of knowledge that could be perhaps called a degree of "innocence" or naïveté. Child murders, particularly 'stranger' non-familial murders and sexual abuse, were not something that 'happened' (obviously they did, but it wasn't something that was accepted as 'happening', so to speak, compared to today where we know and acknowledge that this happens). Nowadays we can understand the psychology and potential inner workings of such a murderer; at the time it was likely harder to think about someone, perhaps a neighbor or passer-by, being the murderer than a member of an 'out' group, like the Rromani people. Overall, it seems that there is no evidence to actually point towards the "g*psies", and in fact the single-minded focus on them may have caused the investigators to miss clues or suspects.

I personally think that it was perhaps someone, local but perhaps from the next neighborhood over who Elsie may have vaguely recognized. He likely lured Elsie in, took her to his apartment where he would have lived alone without much interaction with his neighbors, and assaulted her. Her death may have been an accident from the killer trying to stop her from crying out, or intentional.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back