IL IL - Grundy Co, BlkFem UP17621, 18-23, body in ditch at U.S. Rte 6, Oct'76

By the way Carl congratulations on her sketch and getting your art image displayed on billboard.

43951351_679618495754958_5112749667821551616_n.jpg
Murder Victim Billboard For Jane Doe Now On Jefferson Street
"One of the latest artist sketches made of Jane Doe was provided by Carl Koppelman. He depicts the young woman wearing the color of the sweater found near the crime scene."

"We hope that these new images may help jog someone's memory from what this female possibly looked like back then. Maybe a friend or family member will recognize her and we hope they call us with any information that could be of help," said Johnson, who has been working on the cold case with Coroner John Callahan and Chief Deputy Coroner Christina Hintze-Symoniak, since it was reopened this year.

Anyone with any helpful information about Jane Doe is asked to contact the Grundy County Coroner's Office at 815-942-3792 or by email: bjohnson@grundyco.org
Jane Doe sweater-1539568357-849.jpg

Murder victim's sweater. Image via Grundy County Coroner's Office.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I have a list of 17 females. Of those 17, I feel like four or five of them are potential matches. Two are from Texas. One from Kentucky. One from Washington state," says Grundy County Deputy Coroner Brandon Johnson. "So right now, the DNA is being tested in Texas. Once that's completed they're going to compare our individual from the rest of them and tell us whether or not it's an exclusion or indeed is a match."

Barbara Jolly?

There are only three other black girls missing from WA c. 1976. Susan Redding, who disappeared on her 16th birthday in April 1975; 19-year-old Gladys Williams, who disappeared at age 19 in 1970; and 14-year-old Alisa Watson, who apparently ran away in 1972. All would have been within -- or just slightly outside -- Jane Doe's age range in 1976. But Barbara makes the most sense considering she disappeared just six weeks before Jane Doe was found.

I guess the pm on nameus is only available for crew members not the general public. It was quite graphic so perhaps that's the reason it's been removed. With Carls scetch they probably don't need to show it anyway. Can nameus members view alot of more pms? Sometimes it would be useful if they were available though cause some of their scethes are terrible and others would be identified alot easier too.

rbbm.
Illinois investigators believe 1976 murder victim may have had Columbus ties
October 19, 2018
"Investigators in Grundy County, Illinois believe a woman killed in 1976 may have had ties to Columbus and Lowndes County, according to a Columbus Police Department press release. The investigators reached out to CPD, provided a sketch of what the victim may have looked like and requested CPD circulate it in case anyone still in the Columbus area recognizes the victim".

"This unidentified black female was found in a ditch in a rural part of Grundy County and we hope that someone in Columbus and Lowndes County can identify her," Shelton said in the press release."
"Anyone with information on the case is asked to call Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151."

a038a5b2-1617-4233-8664-28cad67194ed.jpg

Grundy County Coroner’s Office
1320 Union St.
John W. Callahan, Coroner

Morris, IL 60450
Phone – 815-942-3792
Fax – 815-941-3355

Grundy County Coroner John W. Callahan is releasing details regarding a death investigation of a cold case of an unidentified female. The body was found on October 2, 1976 in a farm field in western Grundy County. Investigators from the Grundy County Sheriff’s Department and Illinois State Police in conjunction with the Coroner, worked the case for a period of time. After several weeks of not being able to make any identification, the body was buried under the authority of the Grundy County Coroner. Not only were there no identification leads, but also the fact that the death was ruled a Homicide from a gunshot wound to the head.

Coroner Callahan states that at the time in 1976, authorities exhausted all possibilities with the investigative tools of that time. Today, there is so much more in the way of DNA, advanced fingerprinting, facial sketch artists just to name a few that my office felt it was an opportune time to look further into the death. Coroner Callahan also states, “I’ve known about this unidentified female since I started in the Coroner’s office in 1994 and it has troubled me that someone’s loved one is buried here and was never identified.” Coroner Callahan states that he understands that this is a “long shot” in hopes of identification and even further of any hope of finding the killer. I do believe my office has put together a very solid case presentation with the help of evidence that was kept by the Grundy County Sheriff’s Department and assistance from the Illinois State Police Crime Lab, along with NamUs.

The following is a current news release, along with the sketch and two articles from 1976, when she was found:

Grundy County, Illinois-The Grundy County Coroner’s Office is seeking the public’s assistance in helping to identify a victim from a 1976 cold case. On October 2, 1976, the body of a Female was found in a ditch, located on the Western edge of rural Grundy County. The victim was described as a Female Black, between 18-23 years of age, with black hair, brown eyes, 5’7” and 150 lbs. With so much advancement in Forensic Science over the years, our office is taking a fresh look at this case. With the help of an illustrator, who was able to design this image to help depict how the victim may have looked at the time of her death. We understand that this is someone’s daughter and loved one. Please help us in bringing closure to her family after forty-two years. Anyone with information that can lead us to the identity of this female is asked to contact Deputy Coroner Brandon Johnson at the Grundy County Coroner’s Office at 815-942-3792 or bjohnson@grundyco.org

I never saw the PM picture but I go along with Carl's sketch. Great work...again..!

Is there anything known about pierced ears? Carl when you did the reconstruction did you notice something about that?

Thinking about this girl
Have you seen this child? ILA MAYNARD
Ila Mynard, missing since dec. 4 1974 from Greensboro NC when she was 17. She looks to have a broader nose and IMO she would never have grown so much in two years (from 5'3 to 5'7) especially considering her age. Also she has pierced ears according to other pictures. But still....

NCMC1231505c1.jpg

Last edited:
Woman thinks Grundy County cold case victim may be missing sister

from ABC7Chicago tried looking more into it, but there's not much info on her missing sister.

This is the missing woman whom they are looking at in connection with this uid.
Missing: A Columbus family's search for a missing sister spans five decades
"Lyrian Wyvonne Barry is pictured in her Hunt High School graduation photo, circa 1956. Barry disappeared in the summer of 1960. Photo by: Carmen K. Sisson/Dispatch St."

"April 6, 2013
Everything was going to be OK, she said. Better than OK. The past few years had been tough, but she was tough, too, and she was going to make it. Wronged in so many ways, she was going to finally set things right. Build a new life for herself and her eight-month-old daughter."

"She left her clothes on the back porch. She left her gold, Hunt High School Class of '56 ring on the dresser. She left her baby, Gloria, in her sister Betsy's arms.

And then, on a hot summer day in 1960, Lyrian Wyvonne Barry boarded a Greyhound bus bound for St. Louis and disappeared behind a cloud of Mississippi dust."

This is the missing woman whom they are looking at in connection with this uid.
"Lyrian Wyvonne Barry is pictured in her Hunt High School graduation photo, circa 1956. Barry disappeared in the summer of 1960. Photo by: Carmen K. Sisson/Dispatch St."

"April 6, 2013
Everything was going to be OK, she said. Better than OK. The past few years had been tough, but she was tough, too, and she was going to make it. Wronged in so many ways, she was going to finally set things right. Build a new life for herself and her eight-month-old daughter."

"She left her clothes on the back porch. She left her gold, Hunt High School Class of '56 ring on the dresser. She left her baby, Gloria, in her sister Betsy's arms.

And then, on a hot summer day in 1960, Lyrian Wyvonne Barry boarded a Greyhound bus bound for St. Louis and disappeared behind a cloud of Mississippi dust."

This could be her, but it's not consistent with the stats of this UID, surely LE would have noticed that already. Lyrian went missing in 1960 in her early twenties. This UID was found in 1976 (probably killed in 1976) In 1976 Lyrian would be approx. 36 and not like this UID (estimated) between 18 - 23 years old.

Age estimates are only estimates and we've seen them be wildly off.

I remember from the forensics class I took that for estimating the age of a young person or an older person, there are lots of markers like growth plates and teeth for young people and arthritis, wear and tear, skull plate fusion, etc. for older people. In between, there's just "adult person." So it wouldn't surprise me if a decedent thought to be in her 20's turned out to be in her 30's.

Very kind and thoughtful!
Investigators lay wreath at grave of victim in reopened cold case from 1976
Nov 22 2018
“Today, myself and other members of our office visited her grave and decorated it for the holidays, probably the first time anyone has ever put anything on that grave in all forty-two years,” Deputy Coroner Brandon Johnson said in a statement.

Anyone with any information about this case is asked to contact the Grundy County Coroner at 815-942-3792."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back