IL IL - Grundy Co, BlkFem UP17621, 18-23, body in ditch at U.S. Rte 6, Oct'76

Someone finally made a page (since I've been busy) for Unidentified Murder Victims in Illinois, and I've moved Carl's reconstruction of GCJD front and center as a 'featured' case. Hopefully this will lead to more exposure.

Are you talking about FB page, website page, Wiki or Wikipedia page? When you find a time do you mind to post link to it so we can all check it out?

Thank you.

The Vanished Podcast:
EPISODE 261: Case Update- Grundy County Jane Doe

48182251_710442546005886_1639428981553889280_n.jpg

If you have any information about Jane Doe’s identity or her murder, please contact Grundy County Deputy Coroner Brandon Johnson at 815-941-3359 or email him at bjohnson@grundyco.org.

You can follow Jane Doe’s story on Facebook at facebook.com/grundycountycoldcase

Link to article and the podcast - EPISODE 261: Case Update- Grundy County Jane Doe — The Vanished Podcast

It looks like Davenport is her maiden name, and in theory that should bring us to some parents, even if that's her adopted last name. But I'm not finding anything. I wonder if she had siblings that went to that same school that pops up with her picture in it.
I’ve still been researching Carola. I have NO clue how I didn’t see this before, but thought I’d share with you in case you missed it too...this is on her NamUs profile: DAVENPORT reported missing to P.P.D. 02/23/1976 by bio brother (located/interviewed/DNA). DAVENPORT was last seen in the company of her boyfriend Robert WILKINS (deceased) at 7201 Devon Street, 19119. DAVENPORT left behind clothing, a vehicle and 11 month old twins - male (deceased) and female (located/interviewed/DNA).

I’ve still been researching Carola. I have NO clue how I didn’t see this before, but thought I’d share with you in case you missed it too...this is on her NamUs profile: DAVENPORT reported missing to P.P.D. 02/23/1976 by bio brother (located/interviewed/DNA). DAVENPORT was last seen in the company of her boyfriend Robert WILKINS (deceased) at 7201 Devon Street, 19119. DAVENPORT left behind clothing, a vehicle and 11 month old twins - male (deceased) and female (located/interviewed/DNA).
I can't help but feel like their DNA would have been compared already, but she's not on the rule out list.

I can't help but feel like their DNA would have been compared already, but she's not on the rule out list.
I think Carola’s DNA is recent. Certainly within the last year, but I suspect more recent than that. I imagine you’re probably right though. I’m glad they were able to do that for her!

I think Carola’s DNA is recent. Certainly within the last year, but I suspect more recent than that. I imagine you’re probably right though. I’m glad they were able to do that for her!
It still wouldn't hurt to submit though, since there's no definitive ruleout yet.

It still wouldn't hurt to submit though, since there's no definitive ruleout yet.
Oh, yes! I submitted her several months ago. The ME said she was on his list of possible matches and that they were waiting for comparison of the two. I haven’t heard anything since then. That’s what makes me think Carola’s familial DNA has only recently been entered. Now it’s just a waiting game!

Looks like the recent changes in GedMatch have been extremely beneficial for her highest matches. I was worried because there was a drop in her highest match just a week ago and now her highest is 253.9 cM with 3 trees now. It was a full year ago this month that DNA Doe Project had reached out to the public to help try to identify her. Hoping that this year they are finally able to find out who she was and perhaps who had killed her.

Another article

Investigative genetic genealogy offers new clues about ‘Jane Seneca Doe’ 45 years after her murder

“In our Jane Doe’s case, her family tree is very large and complicated,” Johnson said, adding that she may have had siblings who were unaware of her existence. “We’ve discovered the highest DNA match is a close relative on her father’s side. But unfortunately, he has little knowledge about the family.”

According to the most recent report that Johnson released, the genealogy suggests that Jane Doe’s grandparents or possibly great-grandparents had a very large family and raised them primarily in Dallas County, Alabama. They may have also lived in Wilcox County, Alabama.

Some family members stayed in Alabama, while others moved to Cincinnati, Ohio and Detroit, Michigan. He said it’s also possible that Jane Doe’s parents might have lived in Selma, Alabama. The surnames Calhoun and Harris are prominent in Jane Doe’s family tree.

“I’ve always wondered how she could vanish without anybody missing her,” Johnson said. “But now knowing how complicated her family tree is, it makes a little more sense. The family dynamics were all over the place. There's a good chance that a lot of her family members never knew about her."

After getting results of the woman’s family in Selma, Johnson sent information to churches in the area, hoping someone would recognize a name from the family tree. Johnson doesn’t have a name for his murder victim yet, but said he believes he’s close.

Last edited:
She’s known to searchers as Jane Seneca Doe.

But now, she might have a few other names as clues. Calhoun. Harris.

For years, Grundy County, Illinois, Deputy Chief Coroner Brandon Johnson has been trying to find out what happened to a young woman found dumped in a ditch decades ago. Thought to be between 15 and 27 years old, the African American victim was found shot in the head off a highway in Seneca on Oct. 2, 1976.

By using DNA genealogy, Johnson has gathered some new leads. But he also faces more questions.

Through the help of genealogical researchers, Johnson knows her family might have been from Selma, Alabama, and surnames could have included Calhoun or Harris. One branch of the family lived in Ohio, another in Michigan.

And she may have had siblings who did not know she even existed.

In trying to find out more about her story decades after her death, the investigation has revealed just how little she may have been known in life.

“Nobody’s aware of her existence,” he said.
Coroner, buoyed by recent DNA identification of John Wayne Gacy victim, perseveres in trying to identify young Black woman found slain in Illinois in 1976

“I think everybody deserves closure, justice and absolutely deserves their name," deputy coroner Brandon Johnson told NBC 5. "To be buried somewhere without any of that is just very sad---that could take place and you could be forgotten about for almost 44 years."

Johnson had the woman's body exhumed in December of 2018 and obtained a full DNA profile. Armed with that information, he sent her case to the California-based DNA Doe project, which scours genealogical databases in an effort to match unknown victims from the past with living family members.

"We've solved cases based on third cousins, or even more distant," DNA Doe co-founder Colleen Fitzpatrick told NBC 5 last fall. "It's a whole network of relatives that you try to piece together, and find how they connect, and then, how they connect to your John and Jane Doe." <modsnip: copyright>

The Quest to Identify ‘Jane Seneca Doe' in Grundy County

Last edited by a moderator:
1401UFIL7.jpg
1401UFIL6.jpg
1401UFIL5.jpg
1401UFIL3.jpg
1401UFIL4.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim by Kim Parkhurst, Carl Koppelman, NCMEC and Beth Buchholtz; images of sweater.

Date of Discovery: October 2, 1976
Location of Discovery: Erienna Township, Seneca, Grundy County, Illinois
Estimated Date of Death: 1 day prior
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 15-27 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Female
Height: 5'7" to 5'9"
Weight: 130 to 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar on right hip, lower right abdomen, which could be a birthmark.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back