Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Authorities in the west and southwest suburbs are searching for a United Airlines executive who has not been seen in more than a week.

Jake Cefolia, senior vice president of worldwide sales for the Chicago-based airline, was last seen Aug. 6, according to United.

The Elmhurst Police Department is leading the missing person investigation. A representative for the DuPage County Forest Preserve Police said Cefolia’s vehicle was found at the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve near Lemont.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-14-at-3.18.53-PM.jpg

Search underway in west, southwest suburbs for missing United Airlines executive

Jake Cefolia, United Airlines Executive, Missing: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

United Airlines executive missing, search underway in Lemont forest preserve
"He commonly ran, we have 9 or 10-mile loop here at the forest preserve, so he's an athletic 49-year-old gentleman," said Chief David Peterson, with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County. "We don't know for sure he's still at the forest preserve, but at this point there's been no contact with family or friends."

Welcome to WS, @sleuth782! I had a whole different thought that related to another recent MP case when I saw Jake's thread pop up. You make a very good point. I hadn't considered his disappearance being associated with his career. Where ever he is I hope he's safe and healthy.

Welcome to WS, @sleuth782! I had a whole different thought that related to another recent MP case when I saw Jake's thread pop up. You make a very good point. I hadn't considered his disappearance being associated with his career. Where ever he is I hope he's safe and healthy.
Thanks for the welcome. Which case were you thinking?

There are various avenues related to career. The first that comes to mind is high number of layoffs/furloughs at United. According to one of linked articles, his position was quite senior, with many employees under his command. A disgruntled worker....?

The second relates to stress he might have been feeling personally. This relates both to layoffs (it'd be stressful to fire lots of people, including some who may have become work friends), and also to compensation. Senior level managers are often compensated largely in the form of stock or stock options. With the stock price of United Airlines (UAL) tanking recently, he may have encountered a significant unexpected loss of income.

Also, I've not researched the area in detail yet, but I wonder if a robbery gone bad is likely scenario?

There are various avenues related to career. The first that comes to mind is high number of layoffs/furloughs at United. According to one of linked articles, his position was quite senior, with many employees under his command. A disgruntled worker....?

The second relates to stress he might have been feeling personally. This relates both to layoffs (it'd be stressful to fire lots of people, including some who may have become work friends), and also to compensation. Senior level managers are often compensated largely in the form of stock or stock options. With the stock price of United Airlines (UAL) tanking recently, he may have encountered a significant unexpected loss of income.

Also, I've not researched the area in detail yet, but I wonder if a robbery gone bad is likely scenario?
I think at this point, anything is possible (i.e., voluntary disappearance, robbery, accident, revenge, etc.) . Those are good points you bring up regarding reasons he could have voluntarily disappeared. It's been a stressful year economically for many which also adds weight to the theory that he could have met with foul play. imo. I think your theories are most likely on the right track in explaining his disappearance. I'd prefer not to name the case I suspect could be associated with Jake's disappearance. There's absolutely no evidence in either case to confirm my suspicion. It was just a thought that popped in my mind.

I live on the West side of Chicago. This is a park I and women friends frequently visit to bike ride or walk. I've never heard of a robbery happening there - it's quite a ways from the city itself. There are some areas with modest drop-offs near the water (It's still Illinois so not high terrain), but if one sticks to the 11 miles of maintained trails it's a safe place to get some exercise.

With google streetview you can pretty much travel the whole loop. Except for a section in the south-east corner. In some areas its quite open, with a good view. There are some spots where, its densely wooded, with some steep drop offs to the side.

The first thing that comes to mind is that United Airlines has been under significant financial pressure lately. No clue if it is related, but that was my first instinctive thought anyway...

BBM
This report speaks a bit to what you've said in terms of the financial state of United and expected layoffs. Jake recently distributed an internal memo announcing a re-organization/layoffs coming in the next few weeks. There's much more in the article, including names of employees who have new roles.

United Airlines Reorganizes, Trims Corporate And Agency Sales Team
JUNE 30, 2020
United Airlines is reducing the size of its salesforce and restructuring it. According to an internal memo from SVP of worldwide sales Jake Cefolia, the changes include promotions for some and “saying goodbye” to others.

“Though we are seeing very gradual signs of recovery, the truth of the matter remains that demand is a long way from normal, and we must become a smaller airline as a result,” according to Cefolia’s memo, obtained by The Company Dime. “We still have to make some tough decisions about our workforce and our future.

Snip

...the carrier was “abiding by the CARES Act in paying folks through the end of September unless they chose to take an unpaid leave of absence from the company.”

I live on the West side of Chicago. This is a park I and women friends frequently visit to bike ride or walk. I've never heard of a robbery happening there - it's quite a ways from the city itself. There are some areas with modest drop-offs near the water (It's still Illinois so not high terrain), but if one sticks to the 11 miles of maintained trails it's a safe place to get some exercise.
Thank you for describing the area. It's good to know that odds are he most likely wasn't harmed at the hands of a robber. Sounds like he could have had an accident. I wonder whether he usually stayed on the trails or had a tendency to roam.

First post here, so fingers crossed I do everything right.

Oddly enough, I hadn’t heard of this man missing yet. I live about 10 minutes away from Waterfall Glen. I’ve walked & jogged there numerous times, during rain, sun, & snow. Argonne National Laboratory is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the preserve, & portions of it (namely the areas closer to the Lemont Rd entrance) have office buildings, houses, & apartments nearby. It’s not particularly isolated, so nothing fishy really goes on there. In fact, the trails right off Lemont Rd are actually in some wide open areas. We also haven’t had much rain this summer, so many ponds, lakes, streams are quite low, so I’d be pretty surprised if he was found in one of the ponds there. I haven’t gone to the preserve this year because it’s been crowded with people due to Covid restrictions, to a point where they have closed off some other entrances in an effort to lower the amount of people on the trails. I can’t really see anyone trying to rob him on congested trails. The entrance to I-55 is right there at the Lemont Rd preserve parking, with 355 not too far off.

Hopefully this helps give everyone a better idea of the area in question.

ETA: There are also train tracks right off the trail closer to Lemont Rd, & they are active.

Last edited:
United Airlines Executive Missing For Over A Week | One Mile at a Time

I didn't see it mentioned here so I just wanted to say his car was found at the preserve, which is near his house. He frequented the preserve for running purposes

United Airlines issued the following statement regarding this situation:

“Our friend and colleague, Jake Cefolia, SVP of Worldwide Sales, was last seen Thursday evening, August 6th. We’re concerned about his well-being and have been in touch with Jake’s family over the last couple of days to offer them our support. At the request of the family, we won’t be releasing any additional details at this time.

We have also been in touch with law enforcement and expressed our desire to do everything we can to help them as they lead the effort to find Jake. If you have any information that could be helpful in locating Jake, please contact the Elmhurst Police Department at (630) 530-3050.”

His home in Elmhurst was listed for sale 64 days ago and sale was pending on August 5, 2020. He went missing the following day. (you can find the address through whitepages, and then type it in google to get the Redfin and Zillow listings).

So self harm or voluntary disappearance seem like strong possibilities. Injury/illness while in the park could also be the case but, after a week and a half and not found, that seems less likely. Unless he fell and is hidden in some way (like down a ravine). Even more less likely is being harmed by someone else. All are possible but I'd go with my 1st 2 possibilities as strongest contenders in this. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGS3030
Back