Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

I was able to view part of Jelani's report and under ELISA it shows Benzodiazepines as 400 ng/g.

This article is a bit long but very interesting. I have no idea if this is relevant to JD's toxicology report, as I have not seen what Silver Spring is referring to.

Here are two different articles, it's a lot of reading.
In my opinion, it seems that due to not knowing the specific drug taken, it can't be said if the detected levels would be elevated OR diminished postmortem. The 2nd factor could be the postmortem redistribution of the drug (below) As one writer noted, it is more important to know why the drug was being taken, than what the level was postmortem, if not lethal.

Alterations in concentrations after death

Bacterial invasion of the body commences almost immediately after death and metabolizes numerous sulfur-containing antipsychotics such as chlorpromazine, nitrobenzodiazepines such as clonazepam, and the benzisoxazole derivative risperidone at times, with only metabolites of the parent drugs being detected

Postmortem redistribution (PMR) is a term used to describe a complex array of variables that can lead to the redistribution of drugs after death, which in turn can result in quantitative concentration discrepancies.

Last edited:
Years ago, I suffered from intense panic attacks. My GP prescribed me clonazepam which is a benzodiazepine. I was instructed to take it if I felt a panic attack coming on. Ultimately, it didn't really work for me that way since a lot of people, me included, can eventually calm down over a period of an hour or so. So in essence, I was taking a drug that wasn't actually reducing or eliminating the attacks. Even though the attacks dissapated, I started associating panic attacks with locations where I had them so I would avoid them. To this day, I have never seen the last half of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves since I experienced a panic attack in the theatre. That is the beginning of agarophobia.

I eventually went to another doctor who prescribed me the same drug but her process was outside the norm. She prescribed me the drugs to take once in the morning and again 12 hours later. She advised me I would become addicted to them over the course of the treatment but I needed to be in a headspace where I wasn't always obsessing about having a panic attack; they can become a self fulfilling prophecy. I was worried I'd have one in a theatre, in the subway (that was terrifying to me because I felt I had no control of my body), in a business meeting (happened several times, it was embarrassing and I was worried it affected how others viewed my ability to do my job), any random location or event. However unconventional her methods were, she did cure my panic attacks. I took clonazepam for a period of about a 24 months which went against the medical viewpoint on taking benzodiazapines at the time. It took about 10 months to wean me off the meds. I can't say I never had one again, but they were sporadic, months and months apart, rather than days apart.

I bring all this up because it's possible that Jelani was taking some form of benzodiazepine after experiencing extreme anxiety over the pressure from his family to be a doctor, the pressure of being a match for his father's transplant and the presumed expectation it was a done deal, and the added pressure of knowing if he went through the drug screening process for the transplant his drug use would be exposed as well as the possibility he had psychological problems he did not disclose to his family. I can't imagine the turmoil Jelani was going through, being a paragon of virtue in the eyes of his family, when in reality he was cutting classes, using drugs and leaving the campus for parts unknown to deal with the pressure of the dichotomy.

Years ago, I suffered from intense panic attacks. My GP prescribed me clonazepam which is a benzodiazepine. I was instructed to take it if I felt a panic attack coming on. Ultimately, it didn't really work for me that way since a lot of people, me included, can eventually calm down over a period of an hour or so. So in essence, I was taking a drug that wasn't actually reducing or eliminating the attacks. Even though the attacks dissapated, I started associating panic attacks with locations where I had them so I would avoid them. To this day, I have never seen the last half of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves since I experienced a panic attack in the theatre. That is the beginning of agarophobia.

I eventually went to another doctor who prescribed me the same drug but her process was outside the norm. She prescribed me the drugs to take once in the morning and again 12 hours later. She advised me I would become addicted to them over the course of the treatment but I needed to be in a headspace where I wasn't always obsessing about having a panic attack; they can become a self fulfilling prophecy. I was worried I'd have one in a theatre, in the subway (that was terrifying to me because I felt I had no control of my body), in a business meeting (happened several times, it was embarrassing and I was worried it affected how others viewed my ability to do my job), any random location or event. However unconventional her methods were, she did cure my panic attacks. I took clonazepam for a period of about a 24 months which went against the medical viewpoint on taking benzodiazapines at the time. It took about 10 months to wean me off the meds. I can't say I never had one again, but they were sporadic, months and months apart, rather than days apart.

I bring all this up because it's possible that Jelani was taking some form of benzodiazepine after experiencing extreme anxiety over the pressure from his family to be a doctor, the pressure of being a match for his father's transplant and the presumed expectation it was a done deal, and the added pressure of knowing if he went through the drug screening process for the transplant his drug use would be exposed as well as the possibility he had psychological problems he did not disclose to his family. I can't imagine the turmoil Jelani was going through, being a paragon of virtue in the eyes of his family, when in reality he was cutting classes, using drugs and leaving the campus for parts unknown to deal with the pressure of the dichotomy.

I won’t comment on why JD used benzodiazepines, because I simply don’t know. However, several times I saw/heard about withdrawal seizures from benzodiazepines. They are scary and might be harming or fatal. Postictal state is also not too lucid. Just throwing my 2 pence here. Not the issue of using benzodiazepines, but rapidly stopping might be a huge problem.

There is already a website devoted to shining the spotlight on black and minority missing persons called Black and Missing. Here's the link:

I think it's true that many minorities are underreported. Unfortunately, that sometimes has to do with the fact that some minorities live marginalized lives and fall through the cracks. The reality, though, is that many people of all races live marginalized lives perhaps because they grew up in poverty and engaged in high risk lifestyles like prostitution and drug addiction.

In Canada, instead of black people who are underreported it's indigenous people, mostly women, who weren't reported missing or if they were, they already had records for prostitution or other charges and were treated callously by LE. It could be a defeatist attitude by family members who feel their voices are never heard and think, based on experience, that a drug addicted daughter is going to be low on the list of priorities.

There is a section of highway in British Columbia, about 700 km which is called the Highway of Tears because of the number of women found brutally murdered since 1970, with a disproportionate amount of indigenous women who were already estranged from family.

It's a fact that here on WS, almost every UID I have followed or been interested in were never reported missing by family members or even people who they were close to. If family did report them missing they were told the missing person was an adult free to disappear. The police did not take their concerns seriously and refused to follow up or dragged their feet entering them as bona fide missing persons.

So my personal opinion is, if you are someone like Gabby Petito who was plastered all over the media people take notice. Many people who go missing are dismissed subconsciously when the only image available is a mug shot. I think Gabby having such a high profile had less to do with her being white, and more to do with the fact that she appeared to have a stable homelife, a long term boyfriend, good relations with family with healthy goals and no criminal offenses in her life. Basically the girl next door. Whereas the reality is, she stayed with an abusive individual who basically programmed her to be submissive and defer to his outbursts. And we all know the way that ended.
People commented on being drawn to the case of GP because she was a “cute chick”, not mentioning specifics. But I would agree, some cases where women were gorgeous but of mixed ethnicity, never attracted public opinion. My example would be Angela Tramonte. And not only was Angela drop-dead gorgeous, but very educated, too. That case sounded hellish, but no one ever discussed it.

The report that was posted does not state that he had 400 ng/mL of benzos (or any benzos for that matter) in his system. That picture shows the method parameter for the limit of quantitation. If at least that amount was present, they could say how much. Lower than that would show up and they could say it was present, but an amount would not be reported. ELISA is a screening method used to tell us if a class of drugs (example benzos) are present. LC/MS or GC/MS is then used to determine the specific drug and amounts. Again, the posted photo DID NOT say anything about benzos being in JD’s system.

Oxazepam is one of the less potent benzodiazepines. Some, such as lorazepam (Ativan) and alprazolam (Xanax), are more than 10x more potent. An ELISA test typically wouldn't be able to discriminate between them. Whereas the mass spec method (LC/MS/MS) cited by @Seattle1 would have indicated which one it was. But apparently the detected amount was considered an insignificant amount for following up with more specific tests.

Was there a specific link to the autopsy report? The linked article by the OP about this didn't have details.
Sorry, there was no link to the autopsy report. I sent a screenshot privately to another member and who was able to explain to me what Elisa and the numbers meant.

The report that was posted does not state that he had 400 ng/mL of benzos (or any benzos for that matter) in his system. That picture shows the method parameter for the limit of quantitation. If at least that amount was present, they could say how much. Lower than that would show up and they could say it was present, but an amount would not be reported. ELISA is a screening method used to tell us if a class of drugs (example benzos) are present. LC/MS or GC/MS is then used to determine the specific drug and amounts. Again, the posted photo DID NOT say anything about benzos being in JD’s system.
Thank you again for clarifying.

As far as we know he was only using marijuana, the amount that can be given by the cannibas shop he was last at. And that is mild the concentration or on the lower end I have a post about this earlier in this thread. It has an article about legal consumtion and the amount of THC in it.

I don’t know what to make of all the statements in this article. I don’t know what is new or what may be previously known details. I just thought I’d post the link in case someone can point something out.

I did notice where it said investigators did not find much on his phone due to software constraints. Also, Jelani’s wallet was found by someone looking for a lost drone. That has been a ? for me.

I don’t know what to make of all the statements in this article. I don’t know what is new or what may be previously known details. I just thought I’d post the link in case someone can point something out.

I did notice where it said investigators did not find much on his phone due to software constraints. Also, Jelani’s wallet was found by someone looking for a lost drone. That has been a ? for me.

From the link:

New answers​

An email thread included in the released documents contains a long list of questions submitted by a news organization along with several answers, many of which have never been confirmed or released to the public.

Among the information obtained from LaSalle County, The Pantagraph found details about the circumstances under which Day's belongings were found, including:
  • His car, found by a high school student on his way to work at the Illinois Valley YMCA;
  • His wallet, found by a person searching for their lost drone;
  • His phone, found along Interstate 74 by a driver who had pulled over to secure a load;
  • His clothes, found by two ISU students on the bank of the Illinois River.

Sarah Raymond, deputy chief for the Peru Police Department, told The Pantagraph those emails should have been redacted from The Pantagraph's FOIA request and not released.

“The Jelani Day Joint Task Force collectively decided that the information contained in that email not be disseminated as it’s an integral part of our investigation, which is ongoing,” she said earlier this month.

Fortunately, many here following know exactly why the agency would want the emails redacted which include the protection of the witnesses!

This is no conspiracy -- instead, a situation where it seemed every witness or good samaritan that tried to do the right thing was harassed and/or threatened if they did not support an opinion contrary to investigators and/or not supported by the facts! MOO

From the link:

New answers​

An email thread included in the released documents contains a long list of questions submitted by a news organization along with several answers, many of which have never been confirmed or released to the public.

Among the information obtained from LaSalle County, The Pantagraph found details about the circumstances under which Day's belongings were found, including:
  • His car, found by a high school student on his way to work at the Illinois Valley YMCA;
  • His wallet, found by a person searching for their lost drone;
  • His phone, found along Interstate 74 by a driver who had pulled over to secure a load;
  • His clothes, found by two ISU students on the bank of the Illinois River.

Sarah Raymond, deputy chief for the Peru Police Department, told The Pantagraph those emails should have been redacted from The Pantagraph's FOIA request and not released.

“The Jelani Day Joint Task Force collectively decided that the information contained in that email not be disseminated as it’s an integral part of our investigation, which is ongoing,” she said earlier this month.

Fortunately, many here following know exactly why the agency would want the emails redacted which include the protection of the witnesses!

This is no conspiracy -- instead, a situation where it seemed every witness or good samaritan that tried to do the right thing was harassed and/or threatened if they did not support an opinion contrary to investigators and/or not supported by the facts! MOO
Thank You for sorting it out! I was in a bit of a brain fog.

So the wallet was found by a kid looking for their drone.
Police "scanned the area" where wallet was found.
Police "spoke to a person who claimed they saw a black male walking in the area".

Huh? I'm hoping the police were given much more specific info than that.
I wonder if the person is lying about what they saw, to throw police off the trail.

Police "spoke to a person who claimed they saw a black male walking in the area".

I wonder if the person is lying about what they saw, to throw police off the trail.
No, nobody was lying to the police here.

I recall the black male seen walking in the area -- he was captured on ring camera. He voluntarily came forward and Police determined he was in the area for a legitimate purpose, unrelated to JD disappearing.

I recall the black male seen walking in the area -- he was captured on ring camera. He voluntarily came forward and Police determined he was in the area for a legitimate purpose, unrelated to JD disappearing.
This is the incident near/on Canal St where a person was knocking on a door. He came forward and had legitimate business there (but that didn't stop him from being accused in SM of being a suspect). The wallet was a different circumstance.

The wallet was found in the residential area only a few blocks east of where JD's car was found. I don't see this as throwing the police "off the trail" as it actually led away from the already searched park and woods where the car was parked, along a logical walking route to get to the river.
I had not heard about a drone being looked for as what led to the finding of the wallet, but it doesn't contradict what was disclosed earlier. When the wallet was found, apparently a resident of a home was contacted by LE and they reported that they had seen a person walking by, drop/toss something there, but they hadn't bothered to look yet.
In JD's mother's tour video, "See it for Yourself", she stated that LE told her that a black man described as Jelani, dropped the wallet there.
The finding of the wallet doesn't appear to have had any effect on the investigation or its outcome.
It would have been more impactful if the wallet had never been found or was found somewhere that couldn't have possibly fit in with him having walked from his car to the river.
JD's family is adamant that he knew no one in Peru and there is no evidence he did. In my opinion, the resident and drone operator are complete strangers to the victim, and similarly to other witnesses, they are staying anonymous as they do not want to be sleuthed, accused, or harassed.

Thank you for the correction. I can't go back and edit my post, but I'm glad the police found, correctly identified, and vetted this person.

The ring guy was found or came forward (that was specifically in the area where the car was found), BUT the police were also asking about a black male walking up airport rd (if you look at a map ... Chartres Street going north, which is a block east of where the car was found, jogs at 11th street and d@mn near turns into Aiport road (also known as north Chartres). That is a different individual and that man was seen in the middle of the night (the ring guy was not). I remember having a discussion early on, before he was found, because that road leads up to a frontage type road that has truck stops going east and west, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Either they figured out who that guy was, didn't care after Jelani was found to follow up anymore, or they knew it had nothing to do with the case.

This is a podunk area (I've lived here my whole life) - the cops should not have done anything on their own and at the very least should been followed up on in their investigation. We just don't have missing persons/murders here that are unsolvable - they are almost always domestic issues. Jelani being from out of the area and ending up here alone, being a suicide, still blows my mind....but I don't think this is necessarily the end of his story.

I really need to go do a drive and record it for you all, I think you'd be surprised at how off the beaten path his car was found, how odd of a drive to by the high school and an odd walk back to the 251 bridge, and how it's a known spot to locals, but you'd have trouble finding it using google maps if you were trying to get there yourself. It's not "wooded" how you would think ...it's maybe 2 blocks of trees SURROUNDED by houses that have been there for years, it's an older part of town. If he honestly drove there by himself, I'm really not sure how he found his way back to the bridge in a distressed state without his phone. He also could have jumped off the ramp onto 251, but he chose to walk back down the ramp, across the river ....only to not jump in the water, but into the rocks?! I still have so many questions honestly. I also can completely understand suicide with his story though, so I try not to go too far, because Occam's razor, but I find more questions than answers still.

The ring guy was found or came forward (that was specifically in the area where the car was found), BUT the police were also asking about a black male walking up airport rd (if you look at a map ... Chartres Street going north, which is a block east of where the car was found, jogs at 11th street and d@mn near turns into Aiport road (also known as north Chartres). That is a different individual and that man was seen in the middle of the night (the ring guy was not). I remember having a discussion early on, before he was found, because that road leads up to a frontage type road that has truck stops going east and west, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Either they figured out who that guy was, didn't care after Jelani was found to follow up anymore, or they knew it had nothing to do with the case.

This is a podunk area (I've lived here my whole life) - the cops should not have done anything on their own and at the very least should been followed up on in their investigation. We just don't have missing persons/murders here that are unsolvable - they are almost always domestic issues. Jelani being from out of the area and ending up here alone, being a suicide, still blows my mind....but I don't think this is necessarily the end of his story.

I really need to go do a drive and record it for you all, I think you'd be surprised at how off the beaten path his car was found, how odd of a drive to by the high school and an odd walk back to the 251 bridge, and how it's a known spot to locals, but you'd have trouble finding it using google maps if you were trying to get there yourself. It's not "wooded" how you would think ...it's maybe 2 blocks of trees SURROUNDED by houses that have been there for years, it's an older part of town. If he honestly drove there by himself, I'm really not sure how he found his way back to the bridge in a distressed state without his phone. He also could have jumped off the ramp onto 251, but he chose to walk back down the ramp, across the river ....only to not jump in the water, but into the rocks?! I still have so many questions honestly. I also can completely understand suicide with his story though, so I try not to go too far, because Occam's razor, but I find more questions than answers still.
Its always good to see a local person's perspective. I have so many questions myself of course I'm not local, But ya I was thinking why would he end up where he was found. That rocky area of the river on the banks always makes me wonder, what?

Just a correction... The guy spotted on the ring camera footage that was said to be in the area for work was on Canal Street closer to where Jelani's clothes were found (approximately .2 miles if Carmen was right about the clothing location). The house he was at is just a few blocks from the route 351 bridge which IMO is more likely where he went into the water (whether it was suicide, an accident, or foul play).

251 is downstream from 351 so it would make sense that his body would be taken that way. Since the river is narrow and barges are constantly traveling through, his body would likely be pushed, pulled, and dragged until it hit shore, rocks, or a tree/log. 351 is also even further of a walk from where his car was found and the complete opposite direction of the Chartres/Airport RD location.

You are absolutely correct that nearly all (if not all) missing persons/murders are domestics in the area. (I'm also local and have lived here my whole life).

The location the car was found is the most suspicious part to me. It's only known to locals, primarily highschool-aged locals that walk to the YMCA from LP as it's a shortcut. If Jelani was alone, the chances of him finding that location are so small. At one point, I thought maybe Jelani could have parked his car beneath 351 down that mostly hidden construction road or in the canal parking lot and possibly some kids/teens found it and took it for a joy ride to the YMCA. But if that were the case, I doubt they'd successfully get rid of fingerprints. I just keep getting stuck on the car location and clothing location being locations only locals (or people who grew up in Lasalle/Peru) would really know about to find easily. I've driven over the 351 bridge hundreds-if not thousands- of times and I didn't actually even know about that pull off that went down to the river until this case. I thought it was just a slight pull-off where cops would hide, not an actual gravel road to the river.

JAN 30, 2023

Jelani Day’s mother pleads for answers from elected leaders

[...]

Monday night, Carmen Bolden-Day spoke before Peru City Council, the mayor and police chief to ask for accountability and justice for Jelani Day.

[...]

”I do not know why you all think that I should settle for the minimum. I do not know why you think that I should accept knowing that you have over 500 hours plus of video, he isn’t found on any of your cameras, and all of the leads point to nowhere. I don’t know why my family has to endure this emotionally draining nightmare,” said Bolden Day.

Bolden-Day says she has not been contacted by the Jelani Day Task Force in two months, regarding any updates or progress in the investigation.

Per meeting standards, the council did not respond to her comments, but thanked her for speaking.

[...]

Jelani Day’s mother demanding action from Peru City Officials

“I ask you tonight, have you enabled the lack of accountability? Have you looked into this case yourselves? What questions have you raised to the Peru Police Department,” she asked. “What accountability meetings have you set up? Do you know the details of this case? Have you asked questions about what is being done?”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back