Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, Aug 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Nah, seems they're all like this these days. Between reporters who can't read, reporters who can't write, victims/spokespeople who can't do either, it gets to be a huge mess.

2. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Sadly, I'm getting the definite impression that he was interested in changing his career path, or trying to do both at once, but there was a lot of pressure on him to push on and become a doctor.

3. rkendmar

rkendmar Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  4. GuyfromCanada

GuyfromCanada Well-Known Member

The LaSalle County Coroner on Monday released the cause of death for Jelani Day, the Illinois State University graduate student who was found dead in the Illinois River in September just days after he was reported missing.

Day's cause of death was ruled as a drowning, LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch said in a news release Monday, adding the manner in which "Mr. Day went into the Illinois River is currently unknown."

More at Jelani Day's Cause of Death Released by LaSalle County Coroner

5. rkendmar

“There was no evidence of any antemortem (pre-death) injury, such as manual strangulation, an assault or altercation, sharp, blunt or gunshot injury, infection, tumor, natural disease, congenital abnormality, or significant drug intoxication,” Ploch said.
    "The cause of death opinion was based upon “review of the extensive available investigation, medical and dental information, and after postmortem examination with multiple ancillary and special studies,” Ploch said."
    Coroner says Jelani Day drowned, with no evidence of trauma before his death

6. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

“Unfortunately, there is no specific test at autopsy for drowning,” Ploch said. “Drowning is considered a diagnosis of exclusion with supporting investigation circumstances when a person is found deceased in a body of water.”

Examination of Day’s body was made difficult because of how badly it was decomposed and other organisms in the water eating away at it, Ploch said.

(from the link above)

7. rkendmar

Updated: October 25, 2021 at 5:39 PM CDT
    This story was updated Monday night after the LaSalle County coroner released Day's cause of death: drowning.

"However, Rainbow PUSH appears to be spreading information about the case that is untrue.

During an interview Friday, Rainbow PUSH national field director Bishop Tavis Grant told WGLT two pieces of information purportedly about Day’s death (including the state of his body) that other reporting has shown to be false. WGLT is not going to repeat them here. WGLT has reported previously on how the lack of updates early on in the investigation allowed the online rumor mill to go into overdrive. At times Day’s family has had to debunk false information."
    Rev. Jesse Jackson invited to ISU student meeting ahead of Jelani Day march in Peru

8. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

10/25/21

Former Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day died from drowning, with no evidence of other injuries suffered before his death, authorities said Monday.

Day, 25, was found Sept. 4 in the Illinois River in Peru, about an hour north of Bloomington-Normal. He had been missing for over a week.

LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch said Monday the cause of death has been determined as drowning. But authorities still don’t know how Day ended up in the river.

9. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Emmett Hill was beaten, shot in the head, and thrown in the river with a cotton gin fan tied to his body.

How exactly does this compare to Jelani?

Emmett Till is murdered

10. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Autopsy findings misrepresented in grad student Jelani Day’s death

10/15/21

CLAIM: Coroner’s report says missing graduate student Jelani Day was found with his organs missing, including his teeth, eyeballs and spleen. His jawbone was “sawed out.”

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The LaSalle County coroner who first examined Jelani Day’s recovered body said it was severely decomposed, but no body parts were missing. The coroner said the jaw was removed to assist with identification and that all parts of the body were returned to the family.

[..]

more at the link above...

11. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

GOOD FOR WGLT, not even giving it life.

It's pathetic when a news organization deserves praise for doing what they should (all) be doing.

12. BeckyF

BeckyF Well-Known Member

Drowning is the cause of death but not the manner of death. It’s yet to be determined how JJ ended up in the river.

13. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Jelani Day's Cause of Death Released by LaSalle County Coroner

10/25/21

The LaSalle County Coroner on Monday released the cause of death for Jelani Day, the Illinois State University graduate student who was found dead in the Illinois River in September just days after he was reported missing.

Day's cause of death was ruled as a drowning, LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch said in a news release Monday, adding the manner in which "Mr. Day went into the Illinois River is currently unknown."

I trust the combined agencies working this case can professionally conclude the manner of death expeditiously, and false information and accusations not be given any opportunity to exploit Jelani. MOO

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Marg from Oz, BeckyF and rkendmar like this.
  14. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Jelani Day update: ISU graduate student drowned, LaSalle Co. coroner says

10/22/21

The LaSalle County coroner said a forensic autopsy did not reveal any evidence of injury before Day's death, "such as manual strangulation, an assault or altercation, sharp, blunt or gunshot injury, infection, tumor, natural disease, congenital abnormality, or significant drug intoxication."

It is still not known how Day ended up in the Illinois River.

[..]

Day's mother also said his phone has not been found, and is asking Apple to release phone records that may help investigators.

So far, investigators have only called the circumstances surrounding the disappearance "unusual."

Police are still investigating the case, along with the FBI.

His funeral was held last week.

Probable cause is required for a search warrant to be served on Apple. This is true for all investigations.

Jelani's body, however, was located very quickly and information already provided by his carrier (by subpoena) confirmed that Jelani powered off his phone at the Dispensary.

I don't believe phone records are impeding this investigation.

Supreme Court rules that police generally need a warrant to access cell phone data

15. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Jelani Day cause of death: Illinois coroner releases new information

10/22/21

[..]

The Peru Police Department is handling the investigation, but Illinois State Representative Kam Buckner wants that to change. He wrote a letter to the police chief asking him to hand over the entire investigation to the Illinois State Police or the FBI.

[..]

Peru police did acknowledge they received Buckner’s letter.

Day was last seen on security footage on Aug. 24. He was reported missing on Aug. 25. On *September 5, his body was found in the Illinois River.

The family is upset that the FBI is looking at whether he might have committed suicide.

ETA: *OP Disputes Fox32 Chicago report - Body was recovered on Sept 4, not Sept 5 as reported here.

16. bombardier

bombardier Well-Known Member

As this case continues to unfold, it's just really, really sad. Very smart young man, handsome, strong family connections, family members who thought very highly of him, I know he would have had a great future, even if he didn't complete this specific program.
    I had reservations regarding why he chose this not-very-tall bridge, but my reservations is not enough for me to discount this being self-inflicted. If he hadn't skipped expected meetings that day, I might be more reluctant, but missing academic appointments does lead me to believe that he was not worried about the consequences.
    Stress and isolation for people in their 20s during the pandemic has been a killer :( I feel it, my friends feel it, everyone I speak has noticed their mental health worsening. It's really really suffocating to be spending the so-called "best years of your life" and most academically-challenging years inside your dorm, behind a computer screen, not knowing if things will ever improve.

17. mewmew

mewmew Well-Known Member

Not trying to be petty but I keep seeing quotes (mostly from his mom) about how he was going to become a doctor. He was in a masters program right? Not PhD? Were they expecting him to continue on after the masters program and THEN go get a PhD? Or even MD? Just curious, cause a masters degree in anything does not make you a doctor, yet I keep seeing that referenced. Just trying to gauge exactly how much pressure he was being put under (or putting on himself).

18. scriabina

scriabina Well-Known Member

It's hard to imagine how a tall, strong swimmer like Jelani could be murdered by drowning when there's no evidence of intoxication or any other injuries.

While I started out strongly believing that Jelani was a victim of foul play, I'm now leaning toward Jelani being a victim of mental illness. And I fear the family will never be convinced or get closure if the investigation concludes the same.

I wonder if that last speeding ticket he got just a few days before his disappearance could have been the last straw. Seems Jelani was very convincing in getting his other driving violations tossed out. Maybe he knew he wouldn't be able to get out of this one and feared it would ruin his career dreams (I highly doubt it would)? If I had to guess, I'd say he was speeding not due to irresponsibility but due to a hypomanic or manic state. I think Jelani was a genuinely good person who really cared and wanted to help so many people, but he was plagued by mental health problems which others merely interpreted as amusing personality quirks. The speeding ticket plus the shock/challenges of grad school may have plunged him from a manic to a depressive state.

I'd like clarity about Jelani's career aspirations. His mom and many articles and reports have stated Jelani was going to be a doctor. What kind of doctor? His graduate program was a masters program, not a doctoral program. Was he using the speech path program as a stepping stone to med school or a PhD program? Or is term word "doctor" just an exaggeration? Saying he was "going to be" a doctor is making a lot of assumptions/putting on lots of pressure. Edited to add, I see @mewmew just asked the same question!

19. rkendmar

I don't know what to make of the "doctor" thing.
    In order to practice as a speech-language pathologist you have to have a MS, MA or MEd in Communication Disorders or Speech & Hearing Science, etc.
    If you want to teach and do research in academia you get a PhD in Communication Disorders or a related field which will take you at least 3 more years in the academic grind.
    In an interview with Jelani's mother, she mentioned Jelani wanted to be a doctor so she wouldn't have to work anymore.
    I'm thinking Jelani's mother may not have had a clear understanding of what we do professionally and, especially, how much money we make.

20. scriabina

scriabina Well-Known Member

Wow, this is the first time I've seen that information presented as fact and not just based on rumor/assumption.

Still would like it confirmed that Jelani left the dispensary alone and of his own volition. We don't know for sure if he powered off his phone or if someone else did. Knowing that he turned off his phone and left on his own would point toward a voluntary departure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.