Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Stock

@EricWGLT
· 1h
Replying to @WGLTNews and @RPCoalition
Mother Carmen Bolden Day says the LaSalle Co. Coroner’s autopsy was an insult, saying Jelani was an avid swimmer who couldn’t have drowned on his own. Jonathan Jackson w/ @RPCoalition calls for an apology from the coroner. Coroner Ploch was there he says to support the family.

Eric Stock

@EricWGLT

·
1h
Ploch defends the autopsy report and stresses it does not indicate how Jelani Day got in the water. He says it is up to law enforcement to investigate.

^^rsbm
Except a suspended driver's license is serious and public records show JD did not respect the law when he drove with a suspended license and continued to offend with his last citation for speeding on Aug 20, 2021.

Nobody is being disrespectful but sharing profiling evidence of what appears to be a pattern of the victim's struggle with impulse control. MOO

I think suggesting, as the OP did, that he learned disrespect for the law from his mother based on how she's responding in this case is different from what you're suggesting.

Eric Stock

@EricWGLT
· 1h
Mother Carmen Bolden Day says the LaSalle Co. Coroner’s autopsy was an insult, saying Jelani was an avid swimmer who couldn’t have drowned on his own. Jonathan Jackson w/ @RPCoalition calls for an apology from the coroner. Coroner Ploch was there he says to support the family.

Eric Stock

@EricWGLT

·
1h
Ploch defends the autopsy report and stresses it does not indicate how Jelani Day got in the water. He says it is up to law enforcement to investigate.

Really shaking my head here at the ridiculousness of these comments. It's getting out of hand.

The strongest of swimmers can drown when something goes wrong. That's just a fact.

It's not insulting that a procedure was followed and the only appropriate determination was made.

They are fighting the wrong fights here. Brother said upon seeing the remains he wasn't even sure it was Jelani (I think has backtracked), then the organ nonsense, calling the autopsy an insult.. At some point you have to trust the science.

I think suggesting, as the OP did, that he learned disrespect for the law from his mother based on how she's responding in this case is different from what you're suggesting.

Jelani was a 25-year old man responsible for his own actions.

To be clear, I suggested no such thing that CBD is anyhow responsible for Jelani's repeat violations and/or crafting his way out of legal penalty or punishment for the same.

Also, just a friendly reminder that TOS prohibits sleuthing any individual not named as a suspect or POI.

I actually was referring to something else with her disregard for the law, but my post was removed because it involves sleuthing of family. So I can’t comment.

Really shaking my head here at the ridiculousness of these comments. It's getting out of hand.

The strongest of swimmers can drown when something goes wrong. That's just a fact.

It's not insulting that a procedure was followed and the only appropriate determination was made.

They are fighting the wrong fights here. Brother said upon seeing the remains he wasn't even sure it was Jelani (I think has backtracked), then the organ nonsense, calling the autopsy an insult.. At some point you have to trust the science.

I'm disappointed to read these allegations and public defamation of the La Salle County Coroner for doing his job-- working diligently to autopsy and identify the body recovered from the river under difficult, deteriorating conditions.

IMO, the ChicagoSun columnist was responsible for purporting allegations about the autopsy proven false. This was not a fact-checking reporter but an opinion writer, pushing an agenda, not unlike the RPCoalition is doing today.

IMO, this is not what always respectful, Jelani would want.

In the meanwhile, authorities are still at work. Amidst the protests and insults, they are still working behind the scenes for Jelani, watching hours of video and turning stones to determine the manner of his death.

Facts matter. No agenda. Standing for Jelani. MOO

Autopsy findings misrepresented in grad student Jelani Day’s death

First of all, if you want to commit suicide by drowning, it doesn’t matter if you are a good swimmer, unless you change your mind, being a good swimmer is an advantage.

2nd, there was a 2nd autopsy done by a person chosen by family. I don’t recall seeing any autopsy results from that autopsy reported to the public. Is family disputing the results of that one as well? Why have they not commented on the results of that autopsy (other than to say there were discrepancies)?

MOO

Eric Stock@EricWGLT

Quote Tweet

Gw672dxy_mini.jpg

Eric Stock

@EricWGLT
· 4h

10:05 AM · Oct 26, 2021

Eric Stock@EricWGLT

A long line of vehicles joins in a trip thru LaSalle-Peru where they show the wooded path where they say Jelani Day’s car was found 50 yards off the road. The organizers of the march lead a trip to the Illinois River where Day’s body was found. They only want family to see it.

10:56 AM · Oct 26, 2021

Eric Stock@EricWGLT

Carmen Bolden Day with
@RevJJackson
waking to the site along Illinois River where Jelani Day’s clothes were recovered. They say Jelani’s body was found 3 miles from where his car was discovered. Carmen says it doesn’t add up and authorities have given little and conflicting info.

12:25 PM · Oct 26, 2021

^^bbm

Alleging authorities are providing conflicting information is just that -- allegations.

Justice means that facts matter.

Be specific, state the conflicting information. Stop withholding information -- show the world the location and the conflicting data. Do it for Jelani. Please. MOO

First of all, if you want to commit suicide, it doesn’t matter if you are a good swimmer, unless you change your mind, being a good swimmer is an advantage.

Please explain more about what you mean? Maybe his family's assumption is that if he was a strong swimmer, it would be more difficult to drown, because the survival instinct would kick in, and he'd swim his way out if possible (that the body fights to survive, no matter what.) All JMO.

Jelani Day's Mother Speaks Out After Coroner's Report Released

10/26/21

The mother of Jelani Day said that while her son's cause of death has been released, she still has questions on how he died and believes the Illinois State University grad student was killed.

"I don't care what their press releases say, my baby was killed," Carmen Bolden Day wrote in a recent Facebook post. "He did not drown himself."

The LaSalle County Coroner on Monday released the cause of death for Jelani Day, who was found dead in the Illinois River in September just days after he was reported missing, but stopped short of ruling on the manner of death.

Day's cause of death was ruled as a drowning, LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch said in a news release Monday, adding the manner in which "Mr. Day went into the Illinois River is currently unknown."

Please explain more about what you mean? Maybe his family's assumption is that if he was a strong swimmer, it would be more difficult to drown, because the survival instinct would kick in, and he'd swim his way out if possible (that the body fights to survive, no matter what.) All JMO.
Yes, I agree with what you said. I hadn’t thought of it like that. Thank you for pointing that out.

The coroner has stressed that he does not know how JJ got into the water. Only that 1) COD is drowning and 2) could find no evidence of pre-mortem injuries. How he got into the river is not known/reported yet.

The family focusing on the first one without giving the appropriate weight to second is a detriment to figuring out what happened.

Swimming (there) in the Illinois River is not safe. It is nothing like swimming in a pool. A lifeguard, in Peru, posted on Facebook that they would never swim in that section of the river, too much undercurrent. Any experienced swimmer can drown anywhere and if they want to drown, simply gulping in water or swimming to exhaustion will do it. There are so many documented drowning suicides, it's done even by experienced ocean swimmers.

Natural, accidental, homicide, and suicide are the four categories (i.e., manners) a death will fall into. ETA: Five to include "undetermined."

Unfortunately, it seems to me that we've so much as been told that science and work of professionals don't matter. In essence, IMO, this has become nothing short of a demand for a ruling of homicide -- facts be damned.

At this time, having just completed his summer semester, and receiving a job offer from the Danville NAACP elder, I'm wondering if Jelani may have scheduled an appointment with the Graduate SP Program Director to withdraw from courses or perhaps the program (JD was a no show for appt).

While I believe the Director has been forthcoming with authorities investigating Jelani's disappearance and later death, I fear that this information, if true, is being withheld for her personal safety.

Most important in my mind is knowing what exactly caused Jelani to abruptly leave campus that morning for the Dispensary, and never look back. What was his mindset that morning?

If Jelani was the victim of suicide, I believe this lovely, kind, soul accomplished, loved, and was loved-- more than some three times his age.

However, if no other evidence providing this was nothing more than an impulsive act to cool off, and/or Jelani the victim of weed-induced psychosis, causing the strong swimmer to enter the river and drown, I believe the manner of his death most likely accidental drowning.

While I'm yet to see anything causing me to believe foul play involved in Jelani's death, I'm certainly open to any factual evidence proving otherwise.

MOO

Found Deceased - IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Last edited:
Jelani was a 25-year old man responsible for his own actions.

To be clear, I suggested no such thing that CBD is anyhow responsible for Jelani's repeat violations and/or crafting his way out of legal penalty or punishment for the same.

Also, just a friendly reminder that TOS prohibits sleuthing any individual not named as a suspect or POI.

I wasn't referring to you. The post has been removed for sleuthing the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth