Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, Aug 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy&Gabby

Thank you @scriabina for the link from Bloomington PD presser with JF. I recall a search warrant issued for the abandoned vehicle but I wonder if Inside Edition has misquoted JF regarding electronic devices located inside the vehicle. It would be good to know exactly what devices were located since we've been told by family that his phone was never found. MOO

Marg from Oz, scriabina and bluenoser like this.

2. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Good point. Strong people are sometimes like oak trees--they can hold up under immense loads, but when they run out of strength, they just break and crash down. I knew a guy like that in college--one morning we came in to class to the announcement he had died of self-inflicted carbon monoxide poisoning in his garage. I don't think he even knew how much he was struggling.

3. Seattle1

The 2018 suicide of Tyler Hilinski also comes to mind. :(

A family's search for why after QB's suicide

4. rkendmar

rkendmar Well-Known Member

Just before 9 a.m. Tuesday, the Peru Police announced a change in the route of the march.

“Unfortunately, the route which was posted (Monday) cannot accommodate that request and has changed to assist the family with closure. The representative (from Rainbow PUSH) stated that due to the length of the route everyone involved will be in vehicles and caravan throughout the LaSalle-Peru area,” Peru Police Chief Robert Pyszka said in a statement.

Rainbow PUSH announced late Monday that it was no longer sending a bus from Chicago to the march, citing “unforeseen circumstances, inclement weather and an impromptu schedule change concerning Reverend Jesse Jackson Sr. and staff attending the General Assembly meeting of the Illinois State University’s Black Student Union” on Monday night.

Jackson himself was in Peru on Tuesday morning ahead of the march.

Crowds begin to arrive in Peru for Jelani Day demonstration

5. Seattle1

^^rsbm
    Except a suspended driver's license is serious and public records show JD did not respect the law when he drove with a suspended license and continued to offend with his last citation for speeding on Aug 20, 2021.

Nobody is being disrespectful but sharing profiling evidence of what appears to be a pattern of the victim's struggle with impulse control. MOO

6. scmom

scmom Well-Known Member

Eric Stock

@EricWGLT
    · 1h
    Replying to @WGLTNews and @RPCoalition
    Mother Carmen Bolden Day says the LaSalle Co. Coroner’s autopsy was an insult, saying Jelani was an avid swimmer who couldn’t have drowned on his own. Jonathan Jackson w/ @RPCoalition calls for an apology from the coroner. Coroner Ploch was there he says to support the family.

Eric Stock

@EricWGLT

·
    1h
    Ploch defends the autopsy report and stresses it does not indicate how Jelani Day got in the water. He says it is up to law enforcement to investigate.

7. scmom

scmom Well-Known Member

@EricWGLT
    ·
    Carmen Bolden Day with
    @RevJJackson
    waking to the site along Illinois River where Jelani Day’s clothes were recovered. They say Jelani’s body was found 3 miles from where his car was discovered. Carmen says it doesn’t add up and authorities have given little and conflicting info.

8. SolR1

SolR1 Active Member

I think suggesting, as the OP did, that he learned disrespect for the law from his mother based on how she's responding in this case is different from what you're suggesting.

9. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

Really shaking my head here at the ridiculousness of these comments. It's getting out of hand.

The strongest of swimmers can drown when something goes wrong. That's just a fact.

It's not insulting that a procedure was followed and the only appropriate determination was made.

They are fighting the wrong fights here. Brother said upon seeing the remains he wasn't even sure it was Jelani (I think has backtracked), then the organ nonsense, calling the autopsy an insult.. At some point you have to trust the science.

10. Seattle1

Jelani was a 25-year old man responsible for his own actions.

To be clear, I suggested no such thing that CBD is anyhow responsible for Jelani's repeat violations and/or crafting his way out of legal penalty or punishment for the same.

Also, just a friendly reminder that TOS prohibits sleuthing any individual not named as a suspect or POI.

Marg from Oz likes this.
  11. rainyday412

rainyday412 Well-Known Member

I actually was referring to something else with her disregard for the law, but my post was removed because it involves sleuthing of family. So I can’t comment.

Marg from Oz and Seattle1 like this.
  12. Seattle1

I'm disappointed to read these allegations and public defamation of the La Salle County Coroner for doing his job-- working diligently to autopsy and identify the body recovered from the river under difficult, deteriorating conditions.

IMO, the ChicagoSun columnist was responsible for purporting allegations about the autopsy proven false. This was not a fact-checking reporter but an opinion writer, pushing an agenda, not unlike the RPCoalition is doing today.

IMO, this is not what always respectful, Jelani would want.

In the meanwhile, authorities are still at work. Amidst the protests and insults, they are still working behind the scenes for Jelani, watching hours of video and turning stones to determine the manner of his death.

Facts matter. No agenda. Standing for Jelani. MOO

Autopsy findings misrepresented in grad student Jelani Day’s death

13. BeckyF

BeckyF Well-Known Member

First of all, if you want to commit suicide by drowning, it doesn’t matter if you are a good swimmer, unless you change your mind, being a good swimmer is an advantage.

2nd, there was a 2nd autopsy done by a person chosen by family. I don’t recall seeing any autopsy results from that autopsy reported to the public. Is family disputing the results of that one as well? Why have they not commented on the results of that autopsy (other than to say there were discrepancies)?

MOO

14. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Wasn’t there a third autopsy done?

15. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

16. ChatteringBirds

Have they given examples of what they see as "conflicting info?"

17. Seattle1

Eric Stock@EricWGLT

Ploch defends the autopsy report and stresses it does not indicate how Jelani Day got in the water. He says it is up to law enforcement to investigate.
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Eric Stock

@EricWGLT
    · 4h
    Replying to @WGLTNews and @RPCoalition
    Mother Carmen Bolden Day says the LaSalle Co. Coroner’s autopsy was an insult, saying Jelani was an avid swimmer who couldn’t have drowned on his own. Jonathan Jackson w/ @RPCoalition calls for an apology from the coroner. Coroner Ploch was there he says to support the family.

[​IMG]

10:05 AM · Oct 26, 2021

Eric Stock@EricWGLT

A long line of vehicles joins in a trip thru LaSalle-Peru where they show the wooded path where they say Jelani Day’s car was found 50 yards off the road. The organizers of the march lead a trip to the Illinois River where Day’s body was found. They only want family to see it.

[​IMG]

10:56 AM · Oct 26, 2021

Eric Stock@EricWGLT

Carmen Bolden Day with
    @RevJJackson
    waking to the site along Illinois River where Jelani Day’s clothes were recovered. They say Jelani’s body was found 3 miles from where his car was discovered. Carmen says it doesn’t add up and authorities have given little and conflicting info.

[​IMG]

12:25 PM · Oct 26, 2021

^^bbm

Alleging authorities are providing conflicting information is just that -- allegations.

Justice means that facts matter.

Be specific, state the conflicting information. Stop withholding information -- show the world the location and the conflicting data. Do it for Jelani. Please. MOO

18. ChatteringBirds

Please explain more about what you mean? Maybe his family's assumption is that if he was a strong swimmer, it would be more difficult to drown, because the survival instinct would kick in, and he'd swim his way out if possible (that the body fights to survive, no matter what.) All JMO.

Marg from Oz likes this.
  19. Seattle1

Jelani Day's Mother Speaks Out After Coroner's Report Released

10/26/21

The mother of Jelani Day said that while her son's cause of death has been released, she still has questions on how he died and believes the Illinois State University grad student was killed.

"I don't care what their press releases say, my baby was killed," Carmen Bolden Day wrote in a recent Facebook post. "He did not drown himself."

The LaSalle County Coroner on Monday released the cause of death for Jelani Day, who was found dead in the Illinois River in September just days after he was reported missing, but stopped short of ruling on the manner of death.

Day's cause of death was ruled as a drowning, LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch said in a news release Monday, adding the manner in which "Mr. Day went into the Illinois River is currently unknown."

20. BeckyF

BeckyF Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with what you said. I hadn’t thought of it like that. Thank you for pointing that out.

Marg from Oz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.