Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very well stated, IMO:
“Bolden Day said in pointing out the differences between Day and Petito’s cases, she isn’t arguing that Petito deserves less, but that Day deserves more. As a mother, Bolden Day said, she understands what Petito’s family is going through and would never minimize their pain.

‘But do you not see us? Do you not see me? Do you not see my son?’

‘He is loved,’ Bolden Day said. ‘He is wanted. He is important.’”

As far as “the state lab [not having] the chemical that is needed to process the DNA,” what kind of BS is that? I mean, c’mon, seriously. It has been well over two weeks since the body was found. I want to know where this came from (State Police Division of Forensic Services declined to comment citing its policy on open cases although the question has nothing to do with Jelani’s case specifically … duh).
My heart just breaks for Jelani's mother and family. This must be devastating for them.

From link, just to keep details handy.. rbbm.
''Day, 25, is a graduate student in speech-language pathology at Illinois State University. His family last heard from him on August 23rd. The following morning, security cameras captured him on campus in a button-down shirt and black pants around 7:20 am. His bank account showed he’d bought Starbucks coffee there, but he didn’t show up for a meeting with a faculty member and missed class after that. Instead, security cameras captured him just after 9 a.m. entering a nearby cannabis dispensary wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The faculty member he was supposed to meet with notified the police, because Day’s absence was uncharacteristic and he was not responding to calls or texts. His family filed a missing persons report after failing to reach him within a day; his mother has said he typically calls her several times a day. On August 26th, police found Day’s car abandoned in a wooded area of Peru, Illinois. Inside were the shorts and t-shirt he’d been wearing in the most recent security footage.''

Possible he was watched entering the dispensary and then robbed when he left? Suspects hiding in or near the car? They want his stash. They didn't intend to seriously hurt him but things got out of hand? Drive his car out to the woods and take the plates so it takes a little longer to identify? I don't see this being a self-harm situation. Also..WTF is taking so long to identify that body? I get it. Backlogged. Does that include cold cases? Something that can wait so that Jelani's parents can get some answers instead of being stuck in the hell they currently are in not knowing?

From link, just to keep details handy.. rbbm.
''Day, 25, is a graduate student in speech-language pathology at Illinois State University. His family last heard from him on August 23rd. The following morning, security cameras captured him on campus in a button-down shirt and black pants around 7:20 am. His bank account showed he’d bought Starbucks coffee there, but he didn’t show up for a meeting with a faculty member and missed class after that. Instead, security cameras captured him just after 9 a.m. entering a nearby cannabis dispensary wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The faculty member he was supposed to meet with notified the police, because Day’s absence was uncharacteristic and he was not responding to calls or texts. His family filed a missing persons report after failing to reach him within a day; his mother has said he typically calls her several times a day. On August 26th, police found Day’s car abandoned in a wooded area of Peru, Illinois. Inside were the shorts and t-shirt he’d been wearing in the most recent security footage.''
It's interesting that Jelani missed a meeting with a faculty member and that prompted the faculty member to contact police. ??
Also, the info about the clothing. Is that new or did I miss that?

Possible he was watched entering the dispensary and then robbed when he left? Suspects hiding in or near the car? They want his stash. They didn't intend to seriously hurt him but things got out of hand? Drive his car out to the woods and take the plates so it takes a little longer to identify? I don't see this being a self-harm situation. Also..WTF is taking so long to identify that body? I get it. Backlogged. Does that include cold cases? Something that can wait so that Jelani's parents can get some answers instead of being stuck in the hell they currently are in not knowing?
I agree. I wonder why they can't use dental records?

I can't help but think the fact he did not go to the meeting on campus that morning has something to do with his disappearance. I just don't know what though.......
I mean, he went to campus, seemingly dressed for a meeting with faculty, bought coffee, then didn't show up to the meeting. Maybe too much pressure and he cracked? I know family strongly denies the possibility of self-harm but you really never know.....

My question on the possible robbery would be: do we know how much JJ spent at the dispensary? It would be surprising to me if the average customer left the store with enough product to make it worth a thief’s while to commit a personal crime (e.g., “force” someone to give up their stash).

Let’s say I’m wrong and a thief wants his stash - why take the risk to get in his car or get near JJ?

Possible, for sure - but wouldn’t be my guess.

I can't help but think the fact he did not go to the meeting on campus that morning has something to do with his disappearance. I just don't know what though.......
I mean, he went to campus, seemingly dressed for a meeting with faculty, bought coffee, then didn't show up to the meeting. Maybe too much pressure and he cracked? I know family strongly denies the possibility of self-harm but you really never know.....
New to the thread, so just my first impression, but i think JJ may have thrown his old identity behind and is symbolically trying on a new one...ie
-Conservatively dressed in black pants and button down shirt for a meeting in an
educational setting, which he does not attend..
-Nearly 2 hours later, JJ changes into casual t shirt and jeans and does enter the pot shop.
-JJ's car is abandoned along with his ''pot shop'' clothing.

-So is JJ now naked and stripped of his ''possessions'' like his family, education, a car, even his clothing!
Did he change again?
speculation, imo.

It's interesting that Jelani missed a meeting with a faculty member and that prompted the faculty member to contact police. ??
Also, the info about the clothing. Is that new or did I miss that?
I also find it interesting that the faculty member called the police after missing a meeting and not answering the phone. Did they mean campus police? That seems more likely to me - to call campus police and ask them to check on him. But if it’s local law enforcement that was called, that seems….odd. I don’t know if a single one of my college professors who would’ve done that, for me or anyone else.

My question on the possible robbery would be: do we know how much JJ spent at the dispensary? It would be surprising to me if the average customer left the store with enough product to make it worth a thief’s while to commit a personal crime (e.g., “force” someone to give up their stash).

Let’s say I’m wrong and a thief wants his stash - why take the risk to get in his car or get near JJ?

Possible, for sure - but wouldn’t be my guess.

Same thought. Dispensaries are pretty much all over IL. You also have a limit as to how much you can purchase at one time. So if it was a robbery, it would most likely be for Jelani's money or personal belongings, not for his weed. I understand it might be different in other areas of the country but here in IL it really is not a big deal in the slightest. This makes me think it might have been personal in nature, whoever did this.

Same thought. Dispensaries are pretty much all over IL. You also have a limit as to how much you can purchase at one time. So if it was a robbery, it would most likely be for Jelani's money or personal belongings, not for his weed. I understand it might be different in other areas of the country but here in IL it really is not a big deal in the slightest. This makes me think it might have been personal in nature, whoever did this.

I've been to dispensaries in Boston and it's pretty much the same thing - not a big deal, but there is usually some security out front to screen. I apologize if this has been stated elsewhere, but did the dispensary have security? I think that could help with the timeline, as a robbery outside the dispensary would seem less likely IMO

I also wanted to point out that graduate programs can have small cohorts with advisors in a very tight-knit group. It doesn't strike me as unusual that a professor became concerned about him and reported it to authorities - especially if that professor was a mentor and/or working closely with him.

We don't know if the shorts were or were not car. The shirt and hat help ID him. This is coming from his mom, so she may not have recognized the shorts or just didn't want to mention it.

The fact that a license plate is missing is quite concerning. I don't think he would have removed a plate to go jogging or swimming...MOO.

Sept 22, 2021 rbbm.
jelanie-day.jpg

Find Jelani Day Facebook Page
Day Was Last Seen August 24, 2021, Walking Into a Store & His Vehicle Was Found in a Wooded Area
On the afternoon of Thursday, August 26, the Peru Police Department located Day’s white 2010 Chrysler 300 in a wooded area south of the Illinois Valley YMCA, police said. Police said the clothes he was wearing at the retail store were found in his car.

“Jelani is described as a male black, 25 year of age, 6 feet, two inches tall, 180 pounds with short black hair, brown eyes, and some facial hair,” police said.

After the vehicle was located, police and fire departments conducted a ground and aerial search with drones and K-9s, the statement said.

“Anyone who has contact with Jelani Day is asked to contact the Bloomington Police Department at (309) 820-8888. If anyone has information about Day is also asked to contact Detective Paul Jones at 309-434-2548 or Pjones@cityblm.org,” the statement said.''
''A Body Was Found, Which Has Not Been Identified, & Carmen Bolden Day Said She Wants Answers
Carmen Bolden Day told WGLT that after an unidentified body was found September 4, the resources dedicated to her son’s case seem to have been sapped. She has not received any answers about the body that was found, and investigators told the news outlet that they do not have a chemical needed to process DNA after samples were collected from the Day family.

Is there a limit a
Person can buy at a dispensary?
Not sure about Illinois, but here in AZ there is. Also, the amount of THC differs from medical to recreational. Jumping off that thought though, does anyone know how much/what he bought at the dispensary? I know the couple of times I've gone I find myself looking over my shoulder. Of course I'm a short, old lady not a big strapping young man.

You can only buy an ounce of weed at one time from a dispo. This is not an amount someone is going to rob you for. I go to dispos weekly in Seattle and never have I felt uncomfortable, even going in the middle of the night. They are not getting robbed constantly. They have good security systems.

That's a thought. Too much pressure=cracked. Just went through that with my daughter finishing her undergrad and she was a basketcase. "I just want to be done." filled our house. It sounded like he was eager to get on with the next phase of schooling, but maybe it was pretty overwhelming for him too. Children don't always let us in for fear of worrying us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆