IL - July 4 Parade, Highland Park, at least 6 fatally shot, 4 July 2022 *son charged, dad guilty*

Reading this makes me feel like the blame is being shifted to the parents, seems the other 2 kids are ok.

Jmo

IMO the blame isn't being "shifted" per se, it's just that the blame most likely doesn't lie with just one person alone. Robert Crimo planned this attack, pulled the trigger and killed innocent people out enjoying the Fourth of July. He is obviously to blame.

However IMO it's important to understand the upbringing of these mass shooters. Hopefully it will help friends, neighbors, school teachers and administrators to identify these kids and get them help before they get to the point of doing something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the blame isn't being "shifted" per se, it's just that the blame most likely doesn't lie with just one person alone. Robert Crimo planned this attack, pulled the trigger and killed innocent people out enjoying the Fourth of July. He is obviously to blame.

However IMO it's important to understand the upbringing of these mass shooters. Hopefully it will help friends, neighbors, school teachers and administrators to identify these kids and get them help before they get to the point of doing something like this.
I totally agree.

Having children means responsibility towards them.
They need loving care and safe home environment.

Not drunken arguments at home and neglect.

Why did RC drop out from school?
Did he attend any therapy?

He was described as a depressed drug addict at 16!
Self harming and trying to commit suicide several times.

Was he given help by parents?

As for other kids - we know nothing about their mental health.
If a sister called Police and was afraid to come home, I don't think we can say she was OK.

Let's not pity and justify irresponsibility!
MOO

Last edited:
Reading this makes me feel like the blame is being shifted to the parents, seems the other 2 kids are ok.

Jmo

Yes, it seems that way, though I'm not sure if that will accomplish much. JMO

The shooter is 100% to blame. Period.

As a society, community, the very next thing you say is "Why?". Its the "why" that has led us now to "are others to blame as well?"

There are thousands of young, adult children that have grown up in conditions like this and go on to live, happy, healthy, successful lives. So, the "parents / up-bringing (or lack of)" becomes only a part of the why.

I believe (and this is JMHO - you all know how I feel about this) that those violent FPS video games, blogging - internet, social media is also to blame - so its another part of the why.

And, in a lot of these tragedies LE (or the authorities) played a part of the why. Parkland - NC had been reported to the FBI; Crumbley - the school TRIED to send him home - had him in the office with the backpack - and just returned him to class when parents refused to take him home; Uvalde - really? do I really even need to go there? Complete incompetence;

With these shooters its almost a perfect storm that all the conditions fall into place to - IDK what word - mold? create? or even activate? - them to carry out the crime.

Blaming the parents (now, this doesn't count for him signing that FOID card - that's a whole different legal situation) but blaming the parents because of the "parenting" is only giving the shooter an excuse. Like, "well, he did it because................" He still did it - 100% - no excuses.

And I don't think we are ever going to be able to predict who will do what and when. We just have to be more vigilant within our communities. Put down the phones, pay attention when you are out - look at people, talk to people - "SEE" things that just don't seem right. Get to know your kids' friends. Get to know (or at least meet) those friends parents. Pay attention. I really think that would help.

Ok - I'm done now - sorry, just had to.

JMHO

He didn’t ‘see it’ because he was in denial or he is lying-he saw it and didn’t care. Probably both.

How can an engaged parent miss the warning signs after just the 2 recent incidents alone?? There is no good reason for ignoring that, it’s negligence. His parents were so wrapped up in their own drama, RC was an afterthought.

What has he been doing since the deli closed?
The father ran for mayor a few years ago. He had some really crackpot ideas and lost.

I also can't be the only person who believes that the only reason this is still big news is because it happened in a wealthy, mostly white suburb. What if it had happened about 25 miles to the SSE, in a mostly black or Hispanic, poverty-stricken community? I can answer that - crickets.

I also can't be the only person who believes that the only reason this is still big news is because it happened in a wealthy, mostly white suburb. What if it had happened about 25 miles to the SSE, in a mostly black or Hispanic, poverty-stricken community? I can answer that - crickets.
It's true that there are murders everywhere that are underreported, particularly in poorer communities.

However, Uvalve was a working-class, mainly Hispanic town, and it has gotten as much attention as Sandy Hook and Parkland.

The victims in the recent mass shooting in the Buffalo supermarket were all black except for one white victim.

IMO the Tree Of Life Synagogue shooting did not garner as much long-lasting attention as these situations.

I think it has to do with factors that scare the general public who can see themselves or their families in these situations---schools, supermarkets--- and also the high number of victims is another distinguishing factor that draws in the media.

Jmo

As a society, community, the very next thing you say is "Why?". Its the "why" that has led us now to "are others to blame as well?"

There are thousands of young, adult children that have grown up in conditions like this and go on to live, happy, healthy, successful lives. So, the "parents / up-bringing (or lack of)" becomes only a part of the why.

I believe (and this is JMHO - you all know how I feel about this) that those violent FPS video games, blogging - internet, social media is also to blame - so its another part of the why.

And, in a lot of these tragedies LE (or the authorities) played a part of the why. Parkland - NC had been reported to the FBI; Crumbley - the school TRIED to send him home - had him in the office with the backpack - and just returned him to class when parents refused to take him home; Uvalde - really? do I really even need to go there? Complete incompetence;

With these shooters its almost a perfect storm that all the conditions fall into place to - IDK what word - mold? create? or even activate? - them to carry out the crime.

Blaming the parents (now, this doesn't count for him signing that FOID card - that's a whole different legal situation) but blaming the parents because of the "parenting" is only giving the shooter an excuse. Like, "well, he did it because................" He still did it - 100% - no excuses.

And I don't think we are ever going to be able to predict who will do what and when. We just have to be more vigilant within our communities. Put down the phones, pay attention when you are out - look at people, talk to people - "SEE" things that just don't seem right. Get to know your kids' friends. Get to know (or at least meet) those friends parents. Pay attention. I really think that would help.

JMHO

Yes, yes, yes! We are a society, a civilization -- we do have a responsibility to each other.

Agree completely about first person shooter games. Improves aim, timing, and provides low-cost practice firing at a target depicted as fully human.

100% the shooter's fault -- with some caveats. We can talk access to behavioral health/mental health services all day. Access and use could make a huge difference. I'll leave out the details, but inadequate mental health services are part of most of these notorious acts.

<modsnip>

We are a society, a civilization -- we do have a responsibility to each other.

jmho ymmv lrr

Yes, yes, yes! We are a society, a civilization -- we do have a responsibility to each other.

Agree completely about first person shooter games. Improves aim, timing, and provides low-cost practice firing at a target depicted as fully human.

100% the shooter's fault -- with some caveats. We can talk access to behavioral health/mental health services all day. Access and use could make a huge difference. I'll leave out the details, but inadequate mental health services are part of most of these notorious acts.

<modsnip>

jmho ymmv lrr
Well spoken!!!!!!

"The uncle of confessed Highland Park mass shooter Robert Crimo III insisted Friday that his brother “did the right thing” when he helped his son buy guns — while conceding that he would not have done so himself.

“I support him 100% — I think he did the right thing,” Paul Crimo told CNN of his brother, the gunman’s dad, Robert Crimo Jr."

JMHO
Tbh, I agree with a large amount of what you're saying however, i need to stress that every person is different and I don't want to just put a blanket expression on the nature of those who have had poor upbringings. Not everyone that has gone through emotionally burdensome circumstances will end up living a normal and functional life within society. Childhood is a very important phase for everyone, its basically what decides the adulthood years of the person and what some can excel through, others will find it challenging and this will affect their adulthood, from their relationships to the way they handle situations.

Look at Ed Gein for example, his mother was a complete psychopath with a firm grip which is what led to his tumultuous lifestyle and ultimately, his final abode. His brother although raised in the same household lived a normal life, he however did not and his upbringing was the reason for his mental incompetence.

"8-year-old boy left paralyzed from being shot in the #HighlandPark mass shooting on July 4 is in critical condition with a collapsed lung."

And now, they're reporting that he is "very critical" with fluid buildup in his chest and abdomen, and high fevers, after his esophagus was repaired on Wednesday. This does not look good at all.

This is awful! I pray that he makes it, he sure has endured so much in a short period of time.

This is awful! I pray that he makes it, he sure has endured so much in a short period of time.
According to the family spokesperson he is now off the ventilator and has been without a fever for 48 hours. He's still in critical condition but they are hopeful he will be moved out of Intensive Care this week! I hope so too.

It's true that there are murders everywhere that are underreported, particularly in poorer communities.

However, Uvalve was a working-class, mainly Hispanic town, and it has gotten as much attention as Sandy Hook and Parkland.

The victims in the recent mass shooting in the Buffalo supermarket were all black except for one white victim.

IMO the Tree Of Life Synagogue shooting did not garner as much long-lasting attention as these situations.

I think it has to do with factors that scare the general public who can see themselves or their families in these situations---schools, supermarkets--- and also the high number of victims is another distinguishing factor that draws in the media.

Jmo

Schools are the places where we send our kids daily, so I'd venture to assume, the reaction is the same regardless of the area, class or ethnicity of the kids. The tragedy of Uvalde has an additional dimension - many parents are immigrants who moved to the US hoping for a better life for their children, and instead, these children died a horrible death.

The Tree of Life Synagogue got very little attention, but so did the Charleston Church shooting. The shooting in the Buddhist church is all but forgotten. Perhaps, the fact that people have the choice whether to attend places of worship, or not, that minimizes the shock? Some of these shootings are pretty tragic, but seldom mentioned.

Before Covid, malls had very high traffic, so mall shootings generate a lot of response. Hard to avoid them.

Tbh, I agree with a large amount of what you're saying however, i need to stress that every person is different and I don't want to just put a blanket expression on the nature of those who have had poor upbringings. Not everyone that has gone through emotionally burdensome circumstances will end up living a normal and functional life within society. Childhood is a very important phase for everyone, its basically what decides the adulthood years of the person and what some can excel through, others will find it challenging and this will affect their adulthood, from their relationships to the way they handle situations.

Look at Ed Gein for example, his mother was a complete psychopath with a firm grip which is what led to his tumultuous lifestyle and ultimately, his final abode. His brother although raised in the same household lived a normal life, he however did not and his upbringing was the reason for his mental incompetence.

Regarding this shooter, Crimo, I have a specific question. If there were reports of alcohol-fueled domestic quarrels when the boy was two years of age, might prenatal exposure to this toxin also be the factor?

"LAKE COUNTY, Ill. — The alleged Highland Park Fourth of July parade shooter has been indicted on 117 counts.

Robert Crimo III, 21, faces 21 counts of first-degree murder — three counts for each of the deceased victims, according to the Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office.

Crimo III is additionally facing 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm for each parade victim who was struck by a bullet or shrapnel."

JMO

ETA his next court date is August 3rd @Niner

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie