GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 *new trial request 2023* #3

Real bad news for Todd.
Rot, Todd.

http://www.rrstar.com/article/20160418/NEWS/160419552
ROCKFORD — Todd Smith killed his wife Katrina Smith because he was jealous of her affair with a co-worker and desperate to prevent her from divorcing him.

That's what Judge John Truitt determined today after a rare evidentiary hearing that unfolded over five court dates since January. Truitt ruled that by a "preponderance of evidence," Smith was responsible for the death and disappearance of Katrina Smith.

"The burden of proof is lower (than at trial)," Truitt said today inside a Winnebago County Criminal Justice Center courtroom. "The court believes, when you look at the totality of the evidence, there is enough in the court's opinion, circumstantial evidence to find the state met its burden, and the defendant is responsible for the homicide of Katrina Smith and did so to prevent her from testifying in a divorce proceeding."

This article also talks about the flier released at Katrina's work.

Todd thought he had a huge brain. But his life is headed down the drain. Goodbye, Todd! (sound of flushing)

If the murder trial ever happens. It's been 3 1/2 years. I'm sending patience and positive thoughts to her family and friends.

Todd's business partner in the investment scam just received 51 months in federal prison.

(I don't have the link handy, but it was on RR Star)

Here's your link to the RR Star article:

California man with ties to Machesney Park homicide suspect gets federal prison time for fraud
By Jeff Kolkey Staff writer
Posted Sep. 20, 2016 at 8:36 AM / Updated Sep 20, 2016 at 6:43 PM

ROCKFORD — A California man with business ties to homicide defendant Todd C. Smith was sentenced this week to 51 months in prison by U.S. District Judge Philip G. Reinhard for wire fraud and was ordered to pay $983,654 in restitution to his victims.

Travis Oliver, 39, of Temecula, California, pleaded guilty in May to defrauding investors between July 15, 2009, and March 2012. He operated the business with Smith, 48, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder in the 2012 killing of his wife, Katrina Smith, 30.

Katrina was killed while Todd Smith's and Oliver's business, Electus Asset Holdings, was under investigation. Her body was found Nov. 20, 2012, in the Rock River near Byron.

Thank you for everything you do, AmandaReckonwith. I appreciate you. :)

Todd Smith trial begins Monday 11/28/16. It's been 4 years now since he killed Katrina.

Finally! Her poor family, it's ridiculous the length of time these crimes take to come to trial!!

Man set for trial in wife’s death
January 04, 2017 at 4:00 pm | By Zac Bellman

ROCKFORD — A Machesney Park man accused of the 2012 murder of his wife is set to stand trial starting Monday.

After nearly a dozen hearings since his initial appearance in court in 2012, Todd C. Smith's trial on four counts of homicide and one count of concealing a body is set. . . .

Todd Smith faces a possible sentence of 20 to 100 years in prison for the first two counts of homicide, if convicted, and 20 to 60 years in prison for the third and fourth counts of homicide. The count for concealing a homicide carries a possible prison sentence of two to five years.

How can he be charged with four counts of homicide when only one woman was killed? It's been so long since he was charged that I can't even remember if that was ever explained.
Thanks for keeping the thread updated. Hoping for a guilty verdict and justice for Katrina.

Obviously, it is only one murder. But the charges accuse him of different things. I'm sure they hope to convict him of aggravated murder because he planned it and hid the body. Some charges also may be second degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today and Tuesday are jury selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murder Trial for Todd Smith, Accused of Wife's Death, Postponed

Friday’s hearing for the judge to decide what evidence and testimony will be allowed during the trial. This hearing will continue on February 1st. A new date for the trial has not been set.

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/...cused-of-Wifes-Death-Postponed-364677231.html

Is the Trial going on or postponed as this article states????

Never mind that was posted in 2016!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back