IL - Kelli O'Laughlin, 14, stabbed to death, Indian Head Park, 27 Oct 2011

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by peeples, Oct 28, 2011.

1. peeples

peeples New Member

2. Loading...

3. SuziQ

SuziQ Active Member

4. SuziQ

SuziQ Active Member

Police have released a composite sketch of a man they are seeking in the stabbing death of 14-year-old Kelli O'Laughlin in what may be a burglary gone wrong. But officials may already have a man in custody that they're questioning.
    According to unnamed sources cited in the Chicago Tribune, police took a man into custody in Chicago late Thursday and were still questioning him. No charges have been filed, but prosecutors allegedly are in contact with the investigators.
    It's unknown if it's the same man in the composite sketch.

More and composite sketch at the below link:
    http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/itasc.../Indian-Head-Park-girl-found-stabbed-to-death

5. tlcya

tlcya Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Prayers for this beautiful girl's family and friends as they mourn her untimely passing. Such a waste, it sounds as if she was well loved and had a promising future. Prayers for the LE involved in finding the animal who did this awful thing. May they leave no stone unturned.

6. pinkfly

pinkfly New Member

So sad. Terrible.

7. BigFatMommyDog

BigFatMommyDog New Member

8. twinkiesmom

twinkiesmom New Member

I grew up down the street (went to both of Kelli's schools) and was just down there this evening...It's really sad...mixed in with the Halloween decorations are white ribbons tied everywhere.

I really think they need to tighten security on that neighborhood...It is too "easy access" to the expressway...too wooded....too much temptation for robbery. These daytime burglaries are really scary....Really increase the chances of someone getting hurt of killed.

The neighborhood I live in now... we have a lot of stay-at-home moms and telecommuters. There are people in and out all day long. Still, they have a sketch, so someone must have seen something.

9. Melanie

Melanie Inactive

Bless you Kelli O'Laughlin. My thoughts are with the family.

10. BigFatMommyDog

I know what you mean Twinkiesmom - but I have no idea how to accomplish it - one of the great sell-points of the neighborhood is it's wooded splendor - after all - it's a former Pottawatomie camp on an old pony express route - 294 not withstanding. As kids I know there was a way (cannot remember it now) to get to the Oasis from there. I cannot help but wonder if that wasn't the "get away" route.

White ribbons down the streets (my streets) - names I know in the paper. Same high school for myself, friends, family - nephews still at the high school - they went to the vigil (though as jrs, not personally acquainted.) Our whole community is just devastated.

P.S. I went to both of Kelli's schools. ((((hugs)))) friend

11. BrownRice

BrownRice Active Member

This is a horrible story. If it is a burglary gone wrong - why? Why on earth would a burglar violently stab a child? Just leave the house. To imagine what she went through and her mother having to find her like that is just beyond comprehension.

12. twinkiesmom

twinkiesmom New Member

I was thinking of gating it, not tearing down the trees....But you probably don't have an association to make that happen, given the age of the neighborhood. I babysat there a few times, and it was really scary with the trees in the back and the French doors. I thought for sure someone would be coming in.

Am I right in thinking they didn't have a security system, given the fact that the Mom stumbled onto the scene rather than being notified?

I know there are some residents who are extremely wealthy (vs. doing well)...I heard one of my Highlands classmates 30+ years ago brought in Picassos for show and tell. That was pretty extreme.

I was surprised when I went on Mapquest that the neighborhood extended to Plainfield...I always thought that was a different neighborhood, as I believe that end goes to Hinsdale Central. There is a bike path that will take you to the Hindsale Oasis...but they likely just came out on to Wolf Road and went back on the tollway (or Joliet Road to 55).

It bugs me how stupid are these crooks to rob a neighborhood in broad daylight after school hours. It's reckless enough to make me think they're looking for money for drugs rather than a well organized robbery gang. Do you think they're stupid enough to use I-Pass?

Is IHP well-staffed enough police-wise to deal with this situation?

13. BigFatMommyDog

No, not alone, but some time ago, a number of suburbs formed a task force to deal with major crimes - pooled resources, etc., and it is this task force that is "in charge" .

14. colette

colette Active Member

15. twinkiesmom

twinkiesmom New Member

I thought Acacia was always IHP...I thought they annexed the little patch of LGH between Acacia and Gilbert. I had many classmates who lived in Acacia...families that started out in IHP or WS Ridgewood but divorced and needed smaller digs in the same school district.

My mom lives in LGH, one block over from the new neighborhood (Ash-something) they built next to Acacia on the old 3-par golf course. I'm surprised my mom's neighborhood is still unincorporated as it was always on the list to be annexed to IHP.

16. tiredblondy

tiredblondy New Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...bing-death-as-homicide-20111027,0,50133.story

Alonzo did say police believe Kelli came home from school between 4:45 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Thursday and "confronted what we believe was a burglary." She was later found by her mother.

Wow that's a strange time for a burglary? I mean I thought everyone in general comes home around that time???? My question is how did he know about the coins?

17. tiredblondy

tiredblondy New Member

Coins like that would be better sold at a coin shop or online. Just my opinion. Does anyone have any idea how someone else would know about these coins?? Were they trying to sell them maybe through Craigslist?

18. BigFatMommyDog

The Acacia annex wasn't all that recent, but IIRC it was still unincorporated when my classmates lived there (I'm about 10 or so years older than you :) We have very good friends living in Ash (brook, I think- haha we still call it Par 3-loved that course!). Sounds like your mom lives in my old neck of the woods (we moved from that home in the late 70s).

19. BigFatMommyDog

The timing is extremely disturbing. As is the degree of violence. I understand daylight burglaries - everybody is out of the house, but it seems odd that it was during the "after school" time - when it starts filling up again. I don't know what the coin connection is. I have a feeling there is a good deal that is not being said. I don't want to over sleuth this or post here too much. I want this sick bastard caught.

20. tiredblondy

tiredblondy New Member

21. BigFatMommyDog