GUILTY IL - Kristine Gilford, 35, pregnant, murdered, Villa Park, 26 May 2010

I'm going to call my bil and ask him how and if he could get to Canada from Fargo. I'll be back.

My bil said, why are you asking me this? :waitasec: LOL

He said it's easy to get to Canada from Fargo.
Leave your car in Fargo and take a bus straight to Winnipeg. He thinks it would cost about $20.
Or, go to Grand Forks (hitchhike or bus) and take another bus from there.
He thinks it's about 200 miles on Interstate 29 from Fargo.
He hasn't made the trip in a few years so he's not certain about what identification would be necessary.
I mentioned I thought passports are required now - bil thinks only an I.D.
He pointed out that if you take a bus into Canada, you may not be required to show your identification to the Canadian officials.
I think they've tightened that up but I'm not sure.
We discussed that one could go straight to the airport in Winnipeg. But if one were to fly out of the country one would need a passport - but what about Alaska?
BIL pointed out that EG would need a lot of money, etc.

He ended by saying, "He'll get caught because the Canadian authorities are on the lookout for him." We discussed the airport angle a little and then I said "goodbye".
Bil is thinking wth?

Today's payday for the military. I wonder if it went into his bank account or if they're withholding it or diverting it to an account for the little girl (if he made her a dependent.) I bet he took off too recently for the paperwork to go through to stop his automatic deposit this time. Hopefully he'll be stupid or desperate enough to use an ATM.

Today's payday for the military. I wonder if it went into his bank account or if they're withholding it or diverting it to an account for the little girl (if he made her a dependent.) I bet he took off too recently for the paperwork to go through to stop his automatic deposit this time. Hopefully he'll be stupid or desperate enough to use an ATM.

Plus, if he's still using his cell phone the police aren't reporting it to the public because they don't want him to know they know they're tracking him.
You'd think he'd be aware of that though but he used it in WI and ND. Is he still using it or did it die or he turned it off?

I'd be mighty surprised if a payroll change could be accomplished this quickly within the Navy system. Unless he adobted the little girl, I doubt any money would be directed her way. Once he gets caught, he won't be seeing the light of day again so imo he owes her big time. Unless he's reached 20 years (he's only 31), he's not entitled to anything anyway - it will all go bye-bye. What in the wide world are people thinking when they commit atrocities like this?

Plus, if he's still using his cell phone the police aren't reporting it to the public because they don't want him to know they know they're tracking him.
You'd think he'd be aware of that though but he used it in WI and ND. Is he still using it or did it die or he turned it off?

I'd be mighty surprised if a payroll change could be accomplished this quickly within the Navy system. Unless he adobted the little girl, I doubt any money would be directed her way. Once he gets caught, he won't be seeing the light of day again so imo he owes her big time. Unless he's reached 20 years (he's only 31), he's not entitled to anything anyway - it will all go bye-bye. What in the wide world are people thinking when they commit atrocities like this?

She can be a military dependent even if her sponsor doesn't adopt her. My children were dependents of my husband (their stepfather) because they lived with us. The Navy will likely keep his pay going until he has used up all his leave pay and separation pay (which, since he is UA at this time, are running now.) I believe they divert that money to dependents when the military member is jailed, and I suppose they do when he or she is on the run from the law. I'll ask my husband later when he gets home. He's active duty Navy and has worked in their LE system.

Two Villa Park investigators are in the Fargo, N.D. area continuing the search for Eric A. Gilford, the 31-year-old U.S. Navy sailor authorities call "the sole person of interest" in the stabbing death of his pregnant wife, Kristine Gilford, on Wednesday in Villa Park. "We're looking into whether he has any contacts in that state," Villa Park Police Detective Sgt. Dan McCann said Friday. "We're assuming he knows somebody there or he's trying to get to Canada."
Authorities have alerted the U.S. Border Patrol, McCann said.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...s-in-fargo-for-villa-park-murder-suspect.html

She can be a military dependent even if her sponsor doesn't adopt her. My children were dependents of my husband (their stepfather) because they lived with us. The Navy will likely keep his pay going until he has used up all his leave pay and separation pay (which, since he is UA at this time, are running now.) I believe they divert that money to dependents when the military member is jailed, and I suppose they do when he or she is on the run from the law. I'll ask my husband later when he gets home. He's active duty Navy and has worked in their LE system.

Oh I'm kind of surprised but then, I never paid that much attention to that stuff as h was not on the admin end (Army). He had a lot of situations come up with troops that got turned over to the appropriate office. I'm recalling issues regarding mil's living in housing along with the Mil family, etc. I'm pretty sure you have to specify with names though - like, wife, then son, on the paperwork, have a Will etc. But he was dealing with deployments a lot.

I just thought of a scenario. If a service member does not change his information officially and divorces and remarries and forgets about it, when he dies, it will go to the original spouse. So he has to make sure his eggs are in a row. Not sure how it works with children. Isn't the service member stripped of rank and pay once they dishonor themselves, aren't they discharged dishonorably?

Oh I'm kind of surprised but then, I never paid that much attention to that stuff as h was not on the admin end (Army). He had a lot of situations come up with troops that got turned over to the appropriate office. I'm recalling issues regarding mil's living in housing along with the Mil family, etc. I'm pretty sure you have to specify with names though - like, wife, then son, on the paperwork, have a Will etc. But he was dealing with deployments a lot.

I just thought of a scenario. If a service member does not change his information officially and divorces and remarries and forgets about it, when he dies, it will go to the original spouse. So he has to make sure his eggs are in a row. Not sure how it works with children. Isn't the service member stripped of rank and pay once they dishonor themselves, aren't they discharged dishonorably?

Yes, the military member has to make the people in his household dependents by doing paperwork, whether they are spouses, newborns, adopted children or stepchildren (even parents in some cases.) Now, if one died and his true spouse living with him was not on the paperwork, I think she'd still be able to get the benefits, since she has a right to them. It would be a huge hassle, though.
Service members aren't stripped of rank and discharged until they are found guilty of a crime. If they end up going to a military detention center, they're still in the military, though stripped of rank and pay. However, if some dirtbag is sitting in pre-trial detention, arrangements are made to direct his pay to his dependents, who otherwise might be destitute, but only until his trial is over, though there may be some residual benefits going to them after that in some cases.

If someone is UA, his leave pay and separation pay are allowed to run out, so that when he's caught and eventually kicked out, he won't be owed any money.

ETA Just ran across this, which makes me think he could be separated from the military before he is found guilty in this case. But I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly,
NAVPERS 15560D MILPERSMAN Section 1910-142 (10 Nov 2009)
SEPARATION BY REASON OF MISCONDUCT - COMMISSION OF A SERIOUS OFFENSE
2. Policy
a. Members may be separated based on commission of a serious military or civilian offense when
(1) specific circumstances of offense warrant separation; and
(2) offense would warrant a punitive discharge per reference (a), appendix 12 for same or closely related offense.
b. Commission of a serious offense does not require adjudication by non-judicial or judicial proceedings; however, offense must be substantiated by a preponderance of evidence (e.g., copy of police record, Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) investigation, etc.).
3. Mandatory Processing. Processing is mandatory for
a. violent misconduct which resulted in, or had potential to result in, death or serious bodily injury (e.g., homicide, arson, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, etc.).
b. illicit use of inhalants (huffing) and excessive use (beyond what is normal, sufficient, or prescribed) of prescription and/or over-the-counter drugs and medications.
c. deviant sexual behavior (lewd and lascivious acts; forcible heterosexual sodomy; indecent assault, acts, and/or exposure; or any child sexual abuse, possession of child *advertiser censored*, or incestuous relationships).
http://www.girightshotline.org/discharges/misconduct/navy/index.shtml

Thank you. I am trying to follow and understand the military stuff... with zero military background.

Should I call Winnipeg PD? I copied a tip early this year on another case out of DuPage-and wouldn't mnd an excuse to call ... and I have free LD to Canada..... This would give me a oppty to follow up on that tip and ask about this case?

But that would likely not happen until the weekend is over?

I just had a thought. What if this guy intentionally left his car up north to throw people off and make them think he was going to Canada? If everyone is looking for him up north it would make it easier for him to travel in any other direction.

Another thought I had earlier was what if that "abusive ex-boyfriend" comment was intentionally posted. Maybe he had plans on framing the ex for her murder but that fell apart with K's last words to the neighbor.

One more thing I noticed is that he has 3 new friends since yesterday on FB. I'm sure the logical explanation is that he requested them at some point and they just finally accepted him... but it would be great if he was dumb enough to actually log on FB at some point, doubt it though.

Thank you. I am trying to follow and understand the military stuff... with zero military background.

Should I call Winnipeg PD? I copied a tip early this year on another case out of DuPage-and wouldn't mnd an excuse to call ... and I have free LD to Canada..... This would give me a oppty to follow up on that tip and ask about this case?

But that would likely not happen until the weekend is over?

I'm thinking they've already been alerted - all of Canada, no?
It's more of a discussion we're having imo. Also, even though I didn't know how easily one could get to Canada from Fargo, I'm sure Fargo LE along with the LE that went to Fargo from Lake Villa have thought of what we're posting. Don't let me stop you from calling though.

The post above, about diversion tactics, is worth consideration. I'd never think of that. Anything is possible. I hope his picture is out - has anyone seen it being shown on TV? I haven't, not even locally but I've been on the computer most of the day. That stinks if his picture isn't out there.

P.S. Re understanding military stuff ~ there's a handbook for spouses about 500 pages thick! Mainly the serviceperson has to know and when you PCS, you're assigned to a new unit and your Command goes over a lot of the stuff with you until you are the Command and then everyone is sol - lol!

So, I pick up my DH at the ship today, and immediately start with, "Okay, there's this SW1 recruiting in Chicago who got married in February and he stabbed his pregnant wife to death at her boyfriend's house in front of her 3-year-old. Will they stop his pay immediately, or will some of it go to the little girl?" And his first reaction is to get all defensive, "You know they're not going to stop someone's pay just because they think maybe he did something." So I go, "They know he did it." And he goes, "I think the boyfriend is framing him." And I go, "She lived long enough to tell the police her husband did it." And he's all, "Maybe she's protecting her boyfriend." :banghead: So I go, "Then wouldn't you expect him to be at the recruiting station all 'What?? My wife is dead??!!' instead of driving to Fargo and abandoning his car?" And he goes, "Hmmm. Okay. Well, as far as the pay goes, it depends. They'll definitely let it run for 30 days."

He wasn't much help on the pay thing, but look at the attitude. And he doesn't even know this guy. (I checked.) It's just commonly a knee-jerk reaction to think that it's the military member who is being conned or taken advantage of. (This is because of how many military members are conned and taken advantage of.) But the point is, I bet it wouldn't be hard for Gilford to get a military friend to help him if he slanted the story the right way and cast doubt on the circumstances as reported.

STEADFAST - Just curious, had your husband been away for awhile? Just tell him you get a little carried away with your sleuthing when he's gone and remind him it keeps you out of trouble. :crazy:

It does hurt when 'one of your own' does something this horrendous. Since he didn't know the details that we think we know so far, he was giving EG the benefit of doubt.

Personally, I think EG's pay should be cut off immediately. He's run away - something one in service to their country should never do.

About getting a friend to help him - I'll say this with 100 percent certainty, anyone who is serious about their career would not help this guy cover something of a serious nature such as this - you'd be hanging yourself. Most people would never understand the actions this guy has 'allegedly' taken let alone cover for him unless they're nuts too imo.

STEADFAST - Just curious, had your husband been away for awhile? Just tell him you get a little carried away with your sleuthing when he's gone and remind him it keeps you out of trouble. :crazy:

It does hurt when 'one of your own' does something this horrendous. Since he didn't know the details that we think we know so far, he was giving EG the benefit of doubt.

Personally, I think EG's pay should be cut off immediately. He's run away - something one in service to their country should never do.

About getting a friend to help him - I'll say this with 100 percent certainty, anyone who is serious about their career would not help this guy cover something of a serious nature such as this - you'd be hanging yourself. Most people would never understand the actions this guy has 'allegedly' taken let alone cover for him unless they're nuts too imo.

He was gone a week, but confronting him with a sleuthing problem the minute he gets in the car is pretty much par for the course around here. He's probably just glad it had some relevance to him.

I'm with you on the pay, except you've got to remember that some of these dirtbags have innocent wives and children at home that can't be left suddenly penniless, and their situation has to be investigated before pay is stopped. Also, leave pay has already been earned; he'd get the pay when he's separated if he didn't take the leave, so that's why they let it run out while he's UA.

Of course anyone serious about their life as they know it wouldn't help him, but some sailors are just as likely as some civilians to do stupid things for their friends. Look at all the obviously guilty people who have friends rabidly supporting them on Topix boards. I have a feeling, though, that between LE in Chicago and military LE, any possible helper is being broken down.

I'm just thinking someone must be helping him because Fargo is so random. On the other hand, there is that short bus ride to Canada.

I was in the Navy as a Personnelman (PN). Which means I was in human resources. He will be separated from the Navy with a dishonorable discharge. However, he is UA right now and will not be thrown out until he is found. Pay generally stops once they've been UA long enough. Depends on his command. It is just a few key strokes to start or stop someones pay through DFAS. Considering the civilian police have a warrant for his arrest his pay has stopped. (I know at my former commands it would have. )

Generally commands have a grace period with the that are UA because they have families and they have usually taken off on the wife and kids. Once they are declared UA the families are thrown out of base housing and the pay stops. It can be really hard on the families.

Was he a recruiter or RDC?

The second link has a picture of Gilford showing his tattoos. I think his expression gives us another, more sinister, aspect to his personality.
29185_1402569099066_1077494648_3115.jpg

I have friend near me whose husband was doing a tour as a Navy recruiter. She said he was under enormous stress. The military says there is no quota but if you aren't bringing in enough new recruits a month they come down on you. It's not just the getting papers signed. It's going to their homes, other events, keeping in contact and this can go on for a year if someone is a member of the Delayed Entry Program. My friends husband worked 14 to 16 hours a day, some days.

The above however is not an excuse it is just the facts at some if not most recruiting commands.

Downers Grove, IL — Law enforcement authorities have seen no further signs of Eric Gilford around Fargo, N.D., after conducting a massive search over the past few days.

“Right now, we don’t have anything to show that he’s here, but we’ll continue to operate under the assumption he’s here until he gets caught someplace else,” Fargo Police Lt. Pat Claus told the Fargo Forum newspaper. He was referring to the 31-year-old man from Downers Grove who is wanted in connection with the stabbing death Wednesday of his pregnant wife, Kristine Gilford.

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lisle...ove-after-Villa-Park-slaying-of-pregnant-wife

Another thought. 'School starts tomorrow' could have meant he was going to teach Kristine a lesson, hence his plan went into action including putting their home up for sale yesterday. Especially if it was listed with a realtor and not a FSBO.

JMO
I'm glad I scrolled down, this was going to be my suggestion as well. School doesn't necessarily mean a place of learning, especially in the mind of someone who might be close to the edge already.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back