IL IL - Lacey Gaines, 22, Justice, 7 Dec 2009

ChaCha, one of the hardest things for family members to accept is that LE has a strong suspect, but not enough evidence to make an arrest. That is just hard to accept. But perhaps these things will help.

First, there is no statute of limitation on murder. If LE is ever able to get enough evidence, they will be able to prosecute. Sometimes it does take a while. Sometimes later the suspect gets careless, he may talk to someone or maybe some testing will come back or someone who knew something important will talk. So don't ever give up hope.

Nobody exists in a vaccum. Which means that someone knows the suspect well, may suspect him or even know what happened. Sometimes those persons will get to feeling guilty later. Or maybe they get mad at him. Or maybe he talks when he gets drunk.

LE many times appear to be doing nothing. But often they are working behind the scenes, unable or unwilling to tell the family unless, or until they are ready to make an arrest. Because their priority is the murder investigation, and they will protect that over the family. So don't give up hope on them. And LE does have their ways to get info, some ways I have never understood.

No murder investigation is quick, but some do take longer than others. Some murderers leave a lot of evidence and don't try to hide what they did. But in Lacey's case, this murderer didn't leave a clear trail. But that doesn't mean no trail is there, it just means that it will take more time to follow it.

Things for the family to watch for. Watch for involved persons who seem to know more than the family is being told. Or persons who seem to be giving out a lot of wrong info about the case. Also persons who seem to want to talk more about the investigation than about missing Lacey. Also watch for once removed persons (like a person that you suspect- their wife or girlfriend or best friend/someone the person might talk to) to be especially different. Maybe more interested in the case, or more distant, or giving out wrong info. Also anybody's family or friends who seemed to talk bad about Lacey a lot. (Sometimes the things might even be true, but seem to be made worse or distorted by the way they say them.)

I am hoping that LE will be able to solve this quickly, but more important is that LE gets it right and gets enough evidence to secure a conviction. The only thing worse than never solving a murder, is to make an arrest and take it to court and be unable to get a conviction. Because they only get one try.

I wanted to send my love and prayers to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. May God hold and comfort you during this time.

Picture3.png
Original link to story Please feel free to share and repost.

(March 17) -- On the evening of Dec. 7, Lacey Claire Gaines, a 20-year-old mother of one, was found slain inside her Justice, Ill., apartment. Evidence found at the scene suggests that Gaines knew her assailant, but so far no arrests have been made.

Ever since, Gaines' aunt, Cherry Simpson, has devoted every waking hour to her niece's case in an effort to ensure that justice is served.

"I miss her," Simpson told AOL News. "I liked hearing her sweet voice say, 'Hi, Aunt Cherry. It's me. Lacey.' I wish I could hear that voice again."

According to Simpson, Gaines was a sweet and polite girl who grew up in a lavish country home. During her teen years, her parents enrolled her in a private Lutheran day school. Through an exchange program at the school, Gaines was one of a select few students allowed to travel to France to help teach students there. According to Simpson, the following year, at the age of 15, Gaines made a return trip to France, after which she began to exhibit some semirebellious traits.

"She had come home with a tattoo of a large cross on her back," Simpson said, "Not long after that, she began dating a man who was 10 years her senior. Her new boyfriend had spiked hair, plugs in his ears that you could put quarters through and tattoos on his neck. They were a bizarre match for each other."

In 2007, Simpson's father died. When she saw Gaines at the funeral, she saw that she was pregnant.

"We felt my brother should have thrown [her boyfriend's] *advertiser censored* in jail for statutory rape, but her parents said they could not pick who she loved," Simpson said. "From there, it went from bad to worse. I sensed something was wrong, and not two months later, she called me up and told me that she was being abused. I asked her to talk to a pastor, which she did, and then she sought an order of protection."

Simpson said the ups and downs in the relationship continued. In 2008, Gaines transferred from the Lutheran school to suburban Grant Park High School. Then, on Jan. 2, 2008, she gave birth to a baby boy. Not long thereafter, she started to date a new boyfriend.

"He was a Hispanic guy, so he spoke little English," Simpson said. "She would put him on the phone to talk and would translate for me. She said they were in love."

In March 2009, the father of Gaines' child petitioned the court for parentage and took a DNA test to determine whether he was the father. It was during this time period that Gaines moved into a Hickory Trace apartment.

"After she moved, I would only hear from her sporadically," Simpson said. "I was hopeful things were better for her."

On Dec. 1, Gaines celebrated her 20th birthday. Six days later, she was found brutally slain inside her apartment.

"My mother called and told me she was murdered," Simpson said. "Her current boyfriend found her covered in blood, with an electrical cord around her neck and a 4-inch gash across her throat."

At the time of the killing, family members were baby-sitting Gaines' son. Simpson said Gaines last spoke to her grandmother at about 3:30 that afternoon.

"She was supposed to go to the doctor and have an appointment," Simpson said. "She was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital at 7:19 p.m., so she was murdered sometime between 3:30 and 7."

Calls for comment to the Justice Police Department were not returned; however, Chief Robert Gedville has told Desplaines Valley News that there was no sign of forced entry into the apartment, no evidence of sexual assault and no evidence of robbery, suggesting that Gaines knew her attacker. Gedville said it was an "isolated incident" and that neighbors should not be concerned.

"We have interviewed everyone we can and our (Southwest Major Crimes) task force has 30 to 40 detectives working around the clock to get this solved," Gedville said.

In an effort to bring in new leads, Simpson has taken it upon herself to run a campaign for justice in Gaines' case. She has set up a Web site and a Facebook page devoted to the case, given national media interviews and reached out to several television shows, including "America's Most Wanted" and MSNBC's "The Squeeze," a true-crime reality show.

"The investigators told the producers of 'America's Most Wanted' that they are waiting on DNA test results," Simpson said. "The detectives told me the same thing when I spoke to them in February. They also said that they have a strong suspect, but they were waiting on evidence because the DA said they didn't have enough to prosecute."

It remains unclear on whom the police are focusing. Investigators are not talking, and family members have their own theories. Gaines' parents have not commented on the case to the media; however, detectives have allegedly told them that they are "as sure as they could possibly be" that the father of Gaines' child had "nothing to do with this crime."

Regardless of who is responsible, Simpson remains dedicated to her niece's case and will continue her search for justice.

"I love my niece very much," Simpson said. "I feel I am speaking for Lacey. She would want the killer found and the truth to come out. She would want her baby and family to be safe and to have peace. I may be the only one who is capable and not afraid to speak out and ask for help in solving Lacey's murder."

Cook County Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information about Lacey Gaines' killing. To report information, call the Crime Stoppers' hot line at 800-535-7867.

From a friend of Lacey's:
I have a degree in crime scene investigations an associates degree and it really bothers me that they have yet to find the person who has done this to Lacey. I went to school with her and she was a very nice girl. I hope that maybe this will help in some way.
Jessica Ladner

It may not be like a very great source of information but I was looking for apartments in Illinois and Sunset Lake Apartments was one of the links that I came across under the persons first review a woman commented saying this: Bernita - 01/30/10

oh and lets not forget the murder that occured almost 2 months ago. A young lady was killed in her own apartment by the maintenance man......
http://local.yahoo.com/info-17305521-sunset-lake-apartments-justice?tab=reviews#reviews

Scroll down and look at the post by anitalacey82 on 12/2/2009 could that be Lacey? I heard she wanted to move desperately from family.

What do you think?

I'm quickly acquiring a bad taste for Sunset Lakes Apt complex in Justice, Il ... did you read this?
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/parents-engaged-over-school-bus-ban.html

School Buses No Longer Allowed on Apartment Grounds:
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chi...s-no-longer-allowed-on-apartment-grounds.html

In a complaint filed today in the Circuit Court of Cook County, the Boards of Education of Argo Community High School and Indian Springs School District are seeking an injunction against Sunset Lake Apartments so that the districts' buses may be allowed access to the roadways within the apartment complex to pick up and drop off students, which the school districts assert had been the case for over twenty years without objection.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/document-preview.aspx?doc_id=10336392

Manager: Joe Getto
Name: Sunset Lake Apartments
Street: 8301 South 88th Avenue
Justice, il 60458-1747
Phone: (708) 458-7043

Chacha I am so very sorry for the lose of your beautiful niece. You and your family are in my prayers. I am so very saddened that her precious son who she seemed to adore will grow up without his mom. Have there been any new developments? It seems that the police have a solid suspect in mind so what is taking so long for an arrest?

Chacha I am so very sorry for the lose of your beautiful niece. You and your family are in my prayers. I am so very saddened that her precious son who she seemed to adore will grow up without his mom. Have there been any new developments? It seems that the police have a solid suspect in mind so what is taking so long for an arrest?

Thank you Bama Beauty. I don't know what's taking so long. I wish something would happen. They say they've been waiting for evidence but then won't say when they expect it or when they sent for it.

It's tough just waiting. They haven't returned any calls from people offering to help like John Douglas and AMW. They say no to free billboards or flyers. They say you only do that if it's a cold case. When is a case officially cold?
They said they had a strong suspect but not enough to make it stick.

So why not get some help from the public who seemingly think it's the maintenance man. It bothers me.

Thank you for your prayers.

My husband and I are going to be on ************* tomorrow night with Dana Pretzer and Robin Sax if you'd care to listen in.

don't give up...it sounds as though LE is actively working on the case and although it must be endlessly frustrating and horrible for you and other family members, in most cases it seems that an arrest is eventually made and to do it right takes a lot of time...I know it is easy for me to say, but I do believe in most cases the police do the right thing. Just keep after them...it is a sad fact about the squeaky wheel getting most attention in this world, even when it comes to crime...

ChaCha - My deepest regrets for the loss of your beautiful niece. It does seem like the police are on top of it. It's frustrating that it is taking so much time to get an arrest, but hopefully they are dotting all the i's and when they do, it will stick. Hopefully, the fact that they have a solid suspect will help lead them to the evidence they need.

http://murphymilanojournal.blogspot.com/2010/06/crime-wire-team-live-tune-in-tuesday.html

Join co-hosts Denny Griffin retired Police Investigator and Author, Susan Murphy-Milano Violence Expert and Author and Vito Colucci Jr.Private Eve and Author.

I'm in the 2nd 30 mins of the show. The first part of the show is also very interesting. LISTEN

Lacey Gaines was found dead in her home on December 7, 2009, and no one has been named a suspect or a person of interest in her brutal murder. National advocate and family member, Cherry Simpson, will provide information and a time-line leading up to her neice's homicide.

Crime Wire Team Consultants Peter Hyatt and Al Dressler will also join us and weigh in on the cases.

It is quickly approaching the one-year anniversary of Lacey's death, it is a great time for the Police, in conjunction with the South Suburban Major Crimes task force, to have a major surge in the investigation, and review the entire case file, re-interview people, use multile suspect elimination techniques/statement analysis etc to help focus interviews, etc. - PLEASE PRAY THEY FIND LACEY"S KILLER

http://murphymilanojournal.blogspot.com/2010/12/lacey-gaines-cases-deserves.html

Lacey Gaines Case Deserves an Investigation in Cook County Illinois
by Susan Murphy-Milano

who+murderd+lacey.jpg

Lacey Gaines was barely 20 years of age when her body was discovered on the kitchen floor of her apartment one year ago today. Two years before she gave birth to a healthy baby boy.

Lacey left the baby with a relative that day because she felt something in her "gut" was wrong. At 7 p.m. the evening of December 7, 2009 Lacey was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

I realize there is a backlog of cases, but this one deserves the attention of Investigators and the current States Attorney in Cook County, IL.

In early 2009, she sought direction and support from various family members because she was a victim of domestic violence. Like many women, Lacey worked two jobs to support she and her child. She was an excellent mother.

On March 18, 2009, in a Cook County, Illinois court, a petition to establish parentage was filed by the baby's father, SANCHEZ REGELIO [Sanchez has used several alias in the past and I am not sure what legal name he is currently using]. The case link is HERE. Everyone called him "Daniel" including Lacey. Sanchez took the paternity test and was proven to be the baby's father sometime in May of 2009.

Briefly in 2009, I spoke with Lacey on the phone and she was terrified of Daniel, the child's father. At that time, Lacey indicated she needed more time to think about the best plan of action for her safety, which is very common for any woman being abused, and I did not hear back from her.

A huge red flag, at least in my opinion, is the fact that Sanchez allowed the paternity case to go off the court call on September 25, 2009. Indicating to me that he was up to no good.

Lacey had begun a new life for herself by moving to a new residence and beginning a relationship with a man who did not abuse her. He was good for she and her son. Lacey hoped one day in the near future, after the couple married, he could adopt the child as his own.

Sanchez, according to sources, grew increasingly violent over the new relationship, abused Lacey each time he saw her or picked up the child during visitation, fitting the profile of "if I can't have her no one can." Remember, Lacey ended the relationship and Sanchez was enraged over her decision to go on with her life minus this coward. Most abusers cannot handle rejection, this includes Sanchez.

Now, 12 month's after Lacey Gaines murder, police in the town of Justice, Illinois still do no have a person in custody. Why does it take so long for justice in cases of intimate family homicide?

Lacey Gaines did not deserve to die. In my opinion she stood up to the abuser and for that her life was taken away. Her son will never know the courage and warmth of this amazing woman.
abuse+lacey.jpg

Please, if you have information about this murder please call:

Justice Police Department
Thomas C Bockmann, Deputy Chief of Police
7800 S Archer Rd, Justice, IL 60458
Ph: 708 458-2191

Or as always you can email me at murphymilano@gmail.com and I will forward the information.

http://murphymilanojournal.blogspot.com/2010/12/lacey-gaines-cases-deserves.html

Lacey Gaines Case Deserves an Investigation in Cook County Illinois
by Susan Murphy-Milano

who+murderd+lacey.jpg

Lacey Gaines was barely 20 years of age when her body was discovered on the kitchen floor of her apartment one year ago today. Two years before she gave birth to a healthy baby boy.

Lacey left the baby with a relative that day because she felt something in her "gut" was wrong. At 7 p.m. the evening of December 7, 2009 Lacey was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

I realize there is a backlog of cases, but this one deserves the attention of Investigators and the current States Attorney in Cook County, IL.

In early 2009, she sought direction and support from various family members because she was a victim of domestic violence. Like many women, Lacey worked two jobs to support she and her child. She was an excellent mother.

On March 18, 2009, in a Cook County, Illinois court, a petition to establish parentage was filed by the baby's father, SANCHEZ REGELIO [Sanchez has used several alias in the past and I am not sure what legal name he is currently using]. The case link is HERE. Everyone called him "Daniel" including Lacey. Sanchez took the paternity test and was proven to be the baby's father sometime in May of 2009.

Briefly in 2009, I spoke with Lacey on the phone and she was terrified of Daniel, the child's father. At that time, Lacey indicated she needed more time to think about the best plan of action for her safety, which is very common for any woman being abused, and I did not hear back from her.

A huge red flag, at least in my opinion, is the fact that Sanchez allowed the paternity case to go off the court call on September 25, 2009. Indicating to me that he was up to no good.

Lacey had begun a new life for herself by moving to a new residence and beginning a relationship with a man who did not abuse her. He was good for she and her son. Lacey hoped one day in the near future, after the couple married, he could adopt the child as his own.

Sanchez, according to sources, grew increasingly violent over the new relationship, abused Lacey each time he saw her or picked up the child during visitation, fitting the profile of "if I can't have her no one can." Remember, Lacey ended the relationship and Sanchez was enraged over her decision to go on with her life minus this coward. Most abusers cannot handle rejection, this includes Sanchez.

Now, 12 month's after Lacey Gaines murder, police in the town of Justice, Illinois still do no have a person in custody. Why does it take so long for justice in cases of intimate family homicide?

Lacey Gaines did not deserve to die. In my opinion she stood up to the abuser and for that her life was taken away. Her son will never know the courage and warmth of this amazing woman.
abuse+lacey.jpg

Please, if you have information about this murder please call:

Justice Police Department
Thomas C Bockmann, Deputy Chief of Police
7800 S Archer Rd, Justice, IL 60458
Ph: 708 458-2191

Or as always you can email me at murphymilano@gmail.com and I will forward the information.

I too am so sorry for your loss and also hope that Lacey's son is well loved and looked after, as I am sure he will be. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back