IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

How has he evaded law enforcement all these years? IMO, this case is out of sight and out of mind. It's rarely talked about anymore. There has been very little news coverage since the initial stuff 8 years ago. TP Police have not provided any real updates in years. I think this guy is long gone and they will find DB Cooper before they find him .

Greetings all. I was looking through the Cold Case threads and had no idea this was still unsolved!! I remember it quite clearly. It seems like they have a great deal of evidence but have gotten nowhere. Like some have speculated, perhaps the shooter is deceased? If they were unstable, perhaps they killed themselves shortly after. However, the church connections are interesting indeed but I guess they went nowhere either. I'm not sure whether I think it was a botched robbery or a targeted hit of one of the victims.

So very sad. Praying for justice for the victims and their families.

Greetings all. I was looking through the Cold Case threads and had no idea this was still unsolved!! I remember it quite clearly. It seems like they have a great deal of evidence but have gotten nowhere. Like some have speculated, perhaps the shooter is deceased? If they were unstable, perhaps they killed themselves shortly after. However, the church connections are interesting indeed but I guess they went nowhere either. I'm not sure whether I think it was a botched robbery or a targeted hit of one of the victims.

So very sad. Praying for justice for the victims and their families.

I go back and forth with robbery and hit job. If a robbery, why spend over a half hour in the store. Most robberies are in and out. Perhaps he was greedy and wanted more than he was getting. Perhaps this was a hit job, although why not go after your target in a more secluded place where detection is less likely as well as collateral damage. Nothing makes sense about this case. I have new hope after the superbike case was just solved.

During the 911 recording you can hear 4 different voices. The 911 dispatcher, the woman who called 911 and two distinct male voices. One says "something to do huh" "the other says "I am losing it".
I believe although there is one shooter but there is more than one person involved in this crime. The survivor was shot in the head and i question her ability to really recall accurately what happened? I have a hunch that shooter was later killed.

Actually, she was shot in the neck. The bullet grazed her. I've listened to that 911 call close to 100 times, including listening to it for about ten minutes straight one time to the point where it is almost ingrained in my mind. It's possible there is someone else there, something prompted RM to call 911, she wouldn't have called if she thought this was a simple robbery and the perp was going to leave. It sounds to me on the call that it is one man saying "yo, do not.....Get over here, your such a hero right, you gonna die, you're lucky, I'm losing it, foolishness" and something at the end I can not figure out. When the call is played out in real time, there are long pauses in between where they edited out the victims voices.

True Crime Garage ( a very good podcast by the way) brought up some interesting points.

It was the practice at all Lane Bryants to keep all receipts for the day in a safe and then count and deposit them the next morning. The shop opened at 10:00AM. The assailant arrived soon after 10:00AM posing as a deliveryman. He claimed to have a delivery and was convincing enough that he was invited back to the Mangers office while she called to head office to try to figure out what it was all about.

Since the store was already open and customers had started coming in, there was no need for a rouse. He could just as well pretended to be a customer. While there is no information available about the disposition of the safe or the prior days receipts, the reported loss, less than $300, suggests that this was just the days’ operating cash and the prior days receipts had already been deposited.

The guys at the Garage speculated that the plan was to get to the store before it opened while the cash from the safe was being processed. The delivery pretense was planned in hopes of getting the manager to open the door. The assailant messed up by not knowing when the store opened.

That still doesn’t explain why everyone was shot. Presumably his plan was to let everyone see his face without killing anyone. He probably panicked when he heard the 911 operator and shot everyone without thinking when the obvious thing to do was to get out of there fast. He was a incompetent criminal who got very lucky. It happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He killed them to not leave any witnesses, but he ended up leaving a witness. There are so many reasons why he could have done what he did. The one thing they brought up on this podcast is DNA. I'm not sure if they actually have his DNA profile, I hear differing accounts of this. If they do have his DNA, I would be interested if they take a page from the Sacramento Sheriff's Office and use the DNA website and see if this guy has any family that has submitted DNA. If they can catch the Golden State Killer, they can catch this low life coward.

Is there any 100% confirmation that the DNA does belong to the perp? How was it collected? Was it put in CODIS?

I asked the question because I have seen the theory about the perpetrator being a woman. To me, that is an interesting possibility. The person in the sketch seems to have more feminine features, plus the back pocket of their jeans being embroidered with a cursive letter seems to be more feminine.

I have yet to see any official statement from TP Police that they have DNA. Only posters on Reddit. I have seen where they have his fingerprints. I'm just thinking they have his DNA put are keeping it quiet so as not to tip off this perp. I don't believe the talk of the perp being female as the voice on the 911 call sounds male to me. Yes, I agree the original image looks somewhat female, but the updated image looks much more masculine. If anyone can find a link regarding DNA in this case please share.

True Crime Garage ( a very good podcast by the way) brought up some interesting points.

It was the practice at all Lane Bryants to keep all receipts for the day in a safe and then count and deposit them the next morning. The shop opened at 10:00AM. The assailant arrived soon after 10:00AM posing as a deliveryman. He claimed to have a delivery and was convincing enough that he was invited back to the Mangers office while she called to head office to try to figure out what it was all about.

Since the store was already open and customers had started coming in, there was no need for a rouse. He could just as well pretended to be a customer. While there is no information available about the disposition of the safe or the prior days receipts, the reported loss, less than $300, suggests that this was just the days’ operating cash and the prior days receipts had already been deposited.

The guys at the Garage speculated that the plan was to get to the store before it opened while the cash from the safe was being processed. The delivery pretense was planned in hopes of getting the manager to open the door. The assailant messed up by not knowing when the store opened.

That still doesn’t explain why everyone was shot. Presumably his plan was to let everyone see his face without killing anyone. He probably panicked when he heard the 911 operator and shot everyone without thinking when the obvious thing to do was to get out of there fast. He was a incompetent criminal who got very lucky. It happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also listened to the "True Crime Garage" podcast. I heard about this case years ago, but I wasn't aware it was unsolved till I listened to the podcast. Amazing that we have a witness, maybe ballistics (bullets and empty cases?) and possible DNA. And still unsolved. I would hope there is something in the media and possible billboards to keep this on everyone's minds.

He didn't know what time the store opened? I find it hard to believe that this guy planned this thing out, with false paper work, duct tape, etc., and did not know what time the store opened. Could he not read the sign on the door? This case makes no sense to me. Soft target for sure, but not much money to be had, primarily credit card transactions. Robberies should be in and out, fast. This guy is in the store for 40 minutes. Killing five people to prevent witnesses to a simple robbery, that tells me he has a previous record, maybe looking at a third strike. I think one has to start looking into the insurance angle on this one.

There is so much about this that is baffling to me: the choice of target; the timing; the devolution into mass murder; the seeming planning that went into this contrasted with the clear lack of forethought when things went off the rails.

I'm curious if ISP or Tinley Park police have looked into the possibility that the perpetrator was someone with a history of mental illness & periodic institutionalization. Given that the offender had a weapon, they likely had ties to criminality but may not have had a criminal record or had one that was minor enough to escape notice in Illinois or NW Indiana. Perhaps the perp ran into money trouble and sought what he thought would be an easy target (small store, only women present, little to no security) only to panic and snap when things went wrong due to underlying instability. It would certainly explain the bizarre plan & inability to improvise.

The hairstyle is something that's been noted before, and I think it could play into this as well: if you're getting cornrows done, that takes time and money (or at least did back when all my friends had them before it went out of style). The hair the offender had says to me that this person didn't have the means to get their hair done properly for one reason or another, and got this done at home. The braid may have be a touch of personal flair, or have some other significance. But this was not a person who could get their hair done properly.

There is so much about this that is baffling to me: the choice of target; the timing; the devolution into mass murder; the seeming planning that went into this contrasted with the clear lack of forethought when things went off the rails.

I'm curious if ISP or Tinley Park police have looked into the possibility that the perpetrator was someone with a history of mental illness & periodic institutionalization. Given that the offender had a weapon, they likely had ties to criminality but may not have had a criminal record or had one that was minor enough to escape notice in Illinois or NW Indiana. Perhaps the perp ran into money trouble and sought what he thought would be an easy target (small store, only women present, little to no security) only to panic and snap when things went wrong due to underlying instability. It would certainly explain the bizarre plan & inability to improvise.

The hairstyle is something that's been noted before, and I think it could play into this as well: if you're getting cornrows done, that takes time and money (or at least did back when all my friends had them before it went out of style). The hair the offender had says to me that this person didn't have the means to get their hair done properly for one reason or another, and got this done at home. The braid may have be a touch of personal flair, or have some other significance. But this was not a person who could get their hair done properly.

A lot of times people get their hair done like that by a friend or relative, doubtful anyone would do that themselves, or could. Which means, somebody knows who this was. Not sure if police hammered that message at the time or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back