GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Tricia, Nov 24, 2015.

1. PeregrineFaulkner

PeregrineFaulkner New Member

It's so weird to me that we are still debating whether there was cause to murder this child victim.

Hraefn likes this.

2. mikeysmommom

mikeysmommom "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you

If you have a weapon , no matter the size and you refuse to throw down your weapon when told to the officer has the right to stop you. Simple , if you obey the law you won't gets shot ! In stead of defiance listening to police will save you, should be taught to kids. I taught my son to respect police, he was in trouble and stopped hundreds of times but he survived because he was respectful. Not dropping a weapon will get you shot ! Not excusing so many shots but I can understand it. Police want to go home at the end of their shift, can you blame them? Honestly, Chicago needs the national guard with all the gangs and shootings. I have been more upset with the adults killing a 9 yr old in an alley way. No one does anything about black on black crime and seriously they need to. JMO

3. fizzypop

fizzypop Member

What is weird about it? That he was technically a minor (I wouldn't really say child but that's just me)? How about the fact that he was committing a crime and not following officers orders? That's what people are now debating. He had his own choice to make and he chose to not listen. Again that doesn't necessarily justify it but it does give us reason to debate it. If he had just done what he was told to do there would be no debate at all. It's that simple.

4. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

Especially considering his murderer has been charged.

Hraefn likes this.
  5. fizzypop

fizzypop Member

With all due respect charged doesn't mean guilty. Even though I think he was (of 2nd degree, not first), that's not exactly what we're debating, at least I'm not. My point is that if the kid had done what the cops told him to and dropped the knife he either would have not been shot or still have been shot but it would be 100% clear cut that it was not justified with nothing to debate about. People need to learn to not do anything that can even give that tiny possibility of doubt about what their intentions are. Sad and maybe unfair but true. Sorry, I just don't think expecting people to drop a weapon when ordered to by the police such a horrible thing, and don't understand why they don't just do it.

6. karen in New York

karen in New York Well-Known Member

Disagree respectfully with you. In many communities across the county, a community policing model is being used to better protect the public, police officers and non-law abiding individuals including those in a mental health crisis or under the influence of drugs etc.

The Memphis Model was developed by law enforcement and has made great strides in the communities that adopt it or a similar program. The DOJ offers technical support and financing to transform police agencies into a more current model of policing.

The principles of the model do not embrace shooting to kill as the first intervention selected. Some of the models use teams of better trained officers who can communicate verbally and deescalate the scene. There are teams of officers who are chosen to respond to specific situations based on their skill sets and training and experience.

The costs of police using fire power rather than other communication tools and interventions seems awful costly - as a tax payer I would be awfully upset if settlements and law suits were a by-product of my community's police officer's behavior. And as a parent, I would be concerned that young adults might not understand the significance of their behavior and the risks they face.

Just hope that a solution that respects many different points of view is arrived at soon.

7. PeregrineFaulkner

PeregrineFaulkner New Member

The police serve the community, not the other way around. The people give them authority, and the people can choose to collectively limit their authority. We are a democracy, not a dictatorship or a police state. If we the people say no, police don't just get to be judge, jury, and executioner, then the police must respect that. They have the ability to take armed gunmen alive, they can take a kid with a pocket knife alive if they want to. Charging police who choose to shoot non-threats is a really good way, IMO, to ensure that they want to.

8. bluesneakers

Bail Set At $1.5M For Officer Jason Van Dyke In Fatal Shooting Of Laquan McDonald

Hraefn likes this.
  9. night train

night train Active Member

BBM-

It is not acceptable to shoot and kill someone because it's getting near the end of your work shift.

10. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

Two questions for those who follow here more closely than me. A ) What is the criteria for using a taser vs a firearm when it comes to LE responding to incidents ? Does that vary from department to department ? Because he did have a weapon but not a weapon that can hurt anyone until he's within arms reach , so I cannot understand why no taser or shoot him in the FOOT for pete's sake, so they can get the weapon safely. B ) I saw several days ago that this officer had many prior ' complaints' filed against him ( something in the 20s ? ) Does anyone have a list of them or was that speculative ? TIA

Hraefn likes this.
  11. inthedark14

inthedark14 Well-Known Member

FWIW Chicago cops do not carry tasers. The supervisors (Sargents IIRC) are the only ones who have them which is why it is reported that LE was waiting for a taser to arrive.

MOO known from friends who are CPD.

Hraefn likes this.
  12. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

The blade didn't need to be open to reflect glints of light, ever see a silver knife? Nail clippers are silver and could reflect light. A closed silver knife could reflect light.

Hraefn likes this.
  13. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

In this day and age it is inexcusable, imo, for Chicago cops not to have tasers. I wonder how many tasers 5 million could buy. It's time to equip LEO with current technology and training instead of paying out these multi million dollar payouts due to police incompetency.

Hraefn likes this.
  14. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Van Dyke posted bond and was released from jail earlier this evening

http://abc7chicago.com/news/jason-van-dyke-bail-set-at-$15-million-/1103665/

Hraefn likes this.
  15. magnolia

magnolia War Eagle

Do you have an explanation for why McDonald was holding a closed knife away from him, in an upright position?

16. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

The Mayor has fired the Police Chief.

ETA: Correction, the Mayor has asked the Police Chief to resign.

Hraefn likes this.
  17. bluesneakers

Do we know when Emanuel first saw the video?

Chicago Police Superintendent Is Fired

Hraefn likes this.
  18. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

We don't know when he saw the video. Either way, if he saw it shortly after the killing happened, or he didn't see it until it was released to the public, he failed in his duty as a leader in Chicago. In the end, he should be the next to go, imo. Then, the State's attorney, who according to Lyn Sweet is up for reelection early next year, so the voters themselves can dump her.

I have never been particularly fond of Rahm Emanuel. He has never struck me as a "leader" type person. He is more like a little dictator, in my eyes. He is not an "idea" person, he is more of a "spin" person. Not likeable, not a leader, and not trustworthy, imo.

Now he has put together a "Task Force" to do essentially what has already been done by the 21st Century Task Force.

Brilliant!!! (sarcastic).

And, there is another case that sounds similiar that is rising to the forefront. Keep an eye on it!

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/54054772-story

Chicago mom wants city to see video of her son being shot by police

As anger grows over the Laquan McDonald case, FOX 32 has learned there's another police shooting captured on dash cam video that the city is refusing to release. This one occurred just days before McDonald’s murder in October of 2014.
    By: Dane Placko
    POSTED:NOV 25 2015 09:27AM CST
    UPDATED:NOV 27 2015 06:44AM CST
    CHICAGO (FOX 32 News)

On Wednesday, Aldertrack broke the story that there is another dashcam video that's been held in limbo of a shooting that happened just eight days before the death of McDonald.

On Monday, Ald. David Moore and Ald. Michael Scott Jr. asked the Mayor Rahm Emanuel if there were any other videos of police involved shootings floating out there and he said he didn’t know.​

Hraefn and GarAndTeed like this.
  19. bluesneakers

I have a feeling we'll be starting another thread soon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...icago-police-shooting-met-20151201-story.html

(This is about the other dashcam video mentioned above.)

Hraefn likes this.
  20. Woodland

Woodland Well-Known Member

It's getting a little warm behind the scenes in Chicago.