GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

Verdict in Cop Cover Up Trial

January 17th, 2019

"NOT GUILTY: Three Chicago police officers were found Not Guilty of attempting to cover up the fatal police shooting of Laquan McDonald. Retired Chicago Police Detective David March, Retired Officer Joseph Walsh and suspended Officer Thomas Gaffney were accused covering of up the murder of Laquan McDonald by fellow officer Jason Van Dyke, who was convicted of 2nd degree murder in October. The officers were charged with conspiracy, obstruction of justice and misconduct. (WLS) FULL STORY: Judge acquits 3 Chicago officers of Laquan McDonald cover-up "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cop Coverup Trial Verdict 01/17/19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Van Dyke was convicted in October of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery. He will likely go to prison for at least several years, if not decades, when he's sentenced Friday.

Friday's hearing will be emotional. Van Dyke's wife and young daughters, who pleaded for leniency in letters submitted to the judge, will make statements. Court officials do not know if McDonald's mother, who has remained silent ever since her son's Oct. 20, 2014, death, will speak.

The courtroom will be packed with activists worried that Judge Vincent Gaughan will impose a light sentence.

After cover-up trial, officer who shot teen to be sentenced

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...ty-covering-shooting-laquan/story?id=60451686

3 Chicago police officers found not guilty of covering up shooting of Laquan McDonald

Det. David March, 60, and patrol officers Joseph Walsh 50, and Thomas Gaffney, 45, were each charged with conspiracy, official misconduct and obstruction of justice. A Cook County judge acquitted the officers of all charges.

Cook County Judge Domenica Stephens found that prosecutors did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officers’ reports and statements about what happened that night were knowingly false or that they constituted a coordinated effort to falsify accounts of the shooting.
SMH

poor Mr. Nance
consoling-smiley.gif
......:(

They are going through the special prosecutor's witnesses for aggravating sentencing factors. I had to be in and out at certain points but here is what I have seen. Four black male adults were called to testify about complaints they made against officer Van Dyke in performing his official duties.

The first one I was saw a gentleman state he was pulled over by 4-5 cop cars after pulling out of a gas station, Van Dyke approached his window shouting profanity and racial slurs, and with his gun drawn. He said Van Dyke held the gun to his (the witness's) temple until he was made to exit his vehicle. He was ultimately arrested for a vehicle registration issue that was immediately dismissed on his first court appearance. This occurred in 2005.

The second man testified that after being pulled over and placed in the cruiser by Van Dyke, he (the witness) put a cough drop in to admittedly alter any breathalyzer test the police may administer. He testified that Van Dyke reached back and choked him for approx. 10 seconds trying to get him to spit the cough drop out. It was later pointed out that he also complained of having his arm twisted (per his written complaint). This occurred in 2011.

The third man testified that he was pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. He was also ticketed for his radio being too loud, but testifies that his radio was not even connected at the time. I missed some of his testimony but at the end he said Van Dyke deserved to be in prison clothes. I missed the exact year but I did hear that it was several years before 2014.

The fourth man just got on the stand, he is already crying. It was again a traffic stop. Van Dyke approached his vehicle and tried to open the driver's (witness's) door. He is very emotion about this incident. He describes Van Dyke throwing him onto the car multiple times after hand cuffing him, and then slamming him face down on the floor of the squad car. He describes the severe pain he felt in his arm, and that he could not move his arm, to which Van Dyke said "shut up and lay down." Van Dyke pulled him out of the squad car by his injured arm. When he was pulled out of the car his cousin (passenger) and the car were gone. He never got the car back. He had to have two surgeries for his shoulder injuries, and he needs additional surgeries. He has been on anxiety and multiple other medications since the incident. This occurred in 2007. He won a civil jury trial against CPD in 2008 for this incident. No action was ever taken against Van Dyke.

ETA: I think they lost the live feed, I am not sure if there is a break going on or lunch; they are doing some recaps of the testimony on WGN9.

Last edited:
#CopCoverupTrial
Trial Attorney Brad Micklin Weighs in on Whether the Judge was Pressured to Rule a Certain Way in Co

Jan 18, 2019

(starts @3:17)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laquan's great uncle on the stand. He is giving a victim impact statement. It is written in the first tense as if Laquan wrote it :( :(

Reconvening at 2:30 CST (45 mins from now)

Chicago Tribune‏Verified account @chicagotribune 1m1 minute ago
Jason Van Dyke wiped tears away as his oldest daughter testified at his sentencing hearing this afternoon. Follow the latest in the proceedings here:

Live updates: 'I know who he really is' ... Van Dyke wipes tear away as daughter testifies

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 3m3 minutes ago
Jason Van Dyke has a package of tissue, water bottle and note pad with him at the defense table.

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 3m3 minutes ago
The defense's next "mitigating" witness is Keith Thompson, who is Jason Van Dyke's brother-in-law. Their wives are sisters, and so he has known Van Dyke for more than 13 years.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 2m2 minutes ago
Keith Thompson, brother-in-law of Jason Van Dyke, calls the officer a "gentle giant" at Van Dyke's sentencing hearing.

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 1m1 minute ago
Jason Van Dyke's brother-in-law, Keith Thompson, says, "His girls are like my daughters. I do whatever I have to do for them."

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 47s48 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke’s friend says he does not think he is a racist.

Stacey Baca‏Verified account @StaceyBacaABC7 1m1 minute ago
OFFICER SENTENCING: Ex-officer Jason Van Dyke’s former co-workers & relatives continue to testify on his behalf. “Great father, stand up man,” says his brother-in-law. Meantime, the group of demonstrators outside court has dwindled. #VanDyke #LaquanMcDonald @ABC7Chicago

DxOVSDJVYAAdLV7.jpg

Nader Issa‏ @NaderDIssa 38s38 seconds ago
Jason Van Dyke defense attorney asks: "Do you think he's a racist?" Keith Thompson, a black man and the brother-in-law of Jason Van Dyke: "Absolutely not ... He's been portrayed that way, but in the last 13 years" I've never seen that.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 1m1 minute ago
Thompson says he is African American and has never experienced racism from Jason Van Dyke in 13 years. @cbschicago

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 1m1 minute ago
The defense tells Judge Gaughan that they have four more "mitigating" witnesses, beginning with Heidi Cauffenger, who is Jason Van Dyke's sister.

Barb Markoff‏ @BarbMarkoffABC7 1m1 minute ago
Jason Van Dyke’s sister now on the stand talking about how close they are and how he was always there for her when they were growing up.

Beth Bria‏ @BethBriaReports 1m1 minute ago
Jason Van Dyke’s sister Heidi is on the stand now. She says they were really close growing up. “He was always there whenever I needed anything.” @cbschicago

Stephen Miller‏Verified account @ssmiller 1m1 minute ago
#VanDyke sister on stand: says they were close growing up. “For me, Jason was a role model.” @WBBMNewsradio

Ward_Room‏ @Ward_Room 1m1 minute ago
Van Dyke's sister says, "for me, Jason was a role model when he became a parent. ... When something [difficult] would happen, he would just take a deep breath" and handle every situation "calmly and rationally." "Family is is number one" priority, his sister says.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back