Found Deceased IL - Laura A Kowal, 57, Galena, 7 Aug 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by LisaCougar, Aug 9, 2020.

1. LisaCougar

LisaCougar Well-Known Member

So her car was found about 212 miles away from Galena and her body found about 20 miles down river from there.

2. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

Very sad to read. Prayers for Kelly and her entire family.

Knox, kelsie, YaYa_521 and 1 other person like this.
  3. elframo

elframo Well-Known Member

R.I.P Laura...

kelsie and YaYa_521 like this.
  4. Luckyzmom

Luckyzmom Well-Known Member

Lots of missing info and loose ends surrounding Laura "last seen" and reported missing. Dog at home ! Alone ? Where were keys ? Handbag ? Or Wallet with ID etc ? Cell ? Just red flags to me here.
    Why then endangered missing after reported missing ? What happened here ? MOO
    Need coffee

Knox, realanastasia, WideOpen and 3 others like this.
  5. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

:( Aww, so sad to read this. I was looking at her case yesterday. I came across non-MSM/LE links with information that suggests she donated money to a breast cancer research fund. I also found that she was quite active in a golfing tournament a few years back. It seemed as though she led a somewhat active life at that time. If these are her remains, I hope she didn't suffer and that she's resting peacefully.

6. mlhenn

mlhenn Well-Known Member

Authorities identify body recovered from the Mississippi River

CONFIRMED DECEASED
    Authorities have identified the body recovered Sunday in the Mississippi River in Lewis County, Missouri.

Jo Daviess County, Illinois, Sheriff Kevin Tuner said he received a phone call on Sunday night from Missouri State Highway Patrol that a woman's body had been recovered from the river near Canton, Missouri.

Turner said the physical description and identifiers are consistent with 57-year-old Laura Kowal of Galena, Illinois, who had been reported missing.

The Jo Daviess County Sheriff said Kowal's white Honda Pilot was located in Warsaw, Illinois, 20 miles north of Canton, Missouri.

An autopsy is pending to determine the cause of death, authorities said.

YaYa_521, Luckyzmom and GuyfromCanada like this.
  7. Luckyzmom

Luckyzmom Well-Known Member

So very sorry to see this, Rest in Peace Laura. I hope family or friends can take her pup. He/she must be so confused ;( Prayers for comfort and peace

8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I wonder what drew Laura to the area her car was found? Has her family indicated whether this was an accidental death?

Iona likes this.
  9. LisaCougar

LisaCougar Well-Known Member

10. Athena12

Athena12 Well-Known Member

11. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

hawkeyefan51 and Gloomy Bear like this.
  12. Forever Young

Forever Young Well-Known Member

This case is local to my area but I don't recall hearing about it a year ago. Last night our local TV station gave an update, which was a copy of the article mentioned above.

According to the press release, the federal investigators say that Laura Kowal was the victim of an online dating scam. I find that to be pertinent and disturbing information.

I live only 5 miles from Warsaw Illinois. There is nothing there to see. I believe the population is 1800 and its a long way from Galena.

Her body could have floated down river from Warsaw, Illinois to Canton, Missouri, but it has never been stated that this is what happened.

I would think that by now investigators would have traced where the scam aspect originated. Please, everyone, be extra careful with online dating. It is still unknown if this had anything to do with the death of Laura Kowal.