IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, it's very creepy! The coroner seems solid though. You should check out some of the other cases that were total hack jobs. I mean we all know that there is corruption- but this seems so blatant- and went unchecked for so long- its hard to believe some of the things are just now getting corrected.

I feel the need to chime in since you keep saying how "solid" Rudd seems since I live in Lake County. He is not well-liked by many people who work with him, and that is coming from a very good source (read on). One of those people is my dad, who has to work with Rudd at times in a related field and does not like him AT ALL. He feels he is a very self-serving and self-promoting person. Just putting that out there that the power struggle taking place here is not all to be blamed on the task force necessarily. Not saying he does not do his job though.

I do agree with you several cases have been botched in this county, but the state's attorney at the time, Michael Waller, was to blame for some of those after prosecuting cases with false confessions.

I was being sarcastic with that last line.

But just to clarify: you believe it actually was suicide?

At this point it looks that way to many of us, not just 2. I'm flexible, though, and if forensic evidence among others can take suicide off the table, then, so be it. Just tell us the TRUTH. I want to know what happened, all the details and WHY. JMO

I feel the need to chime in since you keep saying how "solid" Rudd seems since I live in Lake County. He is not well-liked by many people who work with him, and that is coming from a very good source (read on). One of those people is my dad, who has to work with Rudd in a related field and does not like him AT ALL. He feels he is a very self-serving and self-promoting person. Just putting that out there that the power struggle taking place here is not all to be blamed on the task force necessarily.

I do agree with you several cases have been botched in this county, but the state's attorney at the time, Michael Waller, was to blame for some of those after prosecuting cases with false confessions.

Thanks for the insight- it's really helpful to get a little perspective on the dynamics at play. What does your dad think about all of this? Just curious.

At this point it looks that way to many of us, not just 2. I'm flexible, though, and if forensic evidence among others can take suicide off the table, then, so be it. Just tell us the TRUTH. I want to know what happened, all the details and WHY. JMO

Hrm, I get that. I also was very curious when I saw the initial speculation about suicide - then I asked my hubby- and just went on what his view of that is.... which could totally be wrong.

I am very leery of the players in this investigation in light of other cases that have been in the news in the past.

And either way, its very sad what happened. I truly hope he didn't take his own life, it would really really put his family in a terrible spot if it was indeed the MOD. Which IMO is very hard to wrap my head around, infuriating, sad, etc.

Thanks for the insight- it's really helpful to get a little perspective on the dynamics at play. What does your dad think about all of this? Just curious.

No problem! He has actually not given me his theory on the death yet. I am actually leaning more toward suicide the more this plays out, which I know is not your position. After reading every article on the case so far, even though it seems like something out of a movie, I think he had the desire to stage it like a murder for the financial gain to his family. It would take me too long to go over how I started leaning this way, but that is where I am at, sadly. It is just an awful case.

I am really not sure why the suicide theory is still floating around- I think it's a small vocal minority of posters (like two) that really feel it is suicide.

I really think its homicide but it didn't go down the way it seems like it did now- like much more information that we don't have yet.

My first thought wasn't suicide it was actually he got out there, got into it with three people and someone didn't like being questioned and possibly manhandled by a cop and one thing lead to another and before he knew it he was dead.

Then the news couldn't make up their mind if it was two men or three men. Two men and a woman. Black white or Hispanic. And LEO weren't helping with descriptions but were sure quick with locking down airspace and schools and going house to house like storm troopers requesting DNA and house searches.

Then after the entire 400 LEO manhunt found nothing at all it had me scratching my head and rethinking if these three even existed at all. Add to that that LEO offered no rewards and again that had me thinking they knew something wasn't right.
Then they act coy about whether the gun was found or not and right before a big holiday weekend they come out and say "we have a cop killer out there but don't worry enjoy your weekend." Um okay... Yeah that doesn't make sense.

So then I got to thinking he probably killed himself because the suicide actually makes more sense at this point than does the three people homicide scenario. Things could change again with more info.

I also tend to think from a different perspective than many people so what some people see as automatic I see from another angle and for me isn't necessarily a slam dunk. I can find reasoning why DNA would be where it was. Or the gun was at that angle etc. I don't believe what a lawyer or LEO says was the scenario just because they said it. KWIM? I can interpret info myself.

I feel the need to chime in since you keep saying how "solid" Rudd seems since I live in Lake County. He is not well-liked by many people who work with him, and that is coming from a very good source (read on). One of those people is my dad, who has to work with Rudd in a related field and does not like him AT ALL. He feels he is a very self-serving and self-promoting person. Just putting that out there that the power struggle taking place here is not all to be blamed on the task force necessarily. Not saying he does not do his job though.

Question? Is the coroner position elected? Or is it appointed? And if appointed who appointed Rudd?

^Elected. I remember my parents telling me to be sure to vote for the other candidate during that election!

Wow, thank-you, for this article.

"How could ANYONE possibly think that way" "How irresponsible" " The poster should crawl back in the box" " Apologies are in order".............................(.Good investigators, consider ALL possibilities, no matter how unpalatable they are. The goal is to find the truth, not a particular outcome.) JMO

I am really not sure why the suicide theory is still floating around- I think it's a small vocal minority of posters (like two) that really feel it is suicide.

I really think its homicide but it didn't go down the way it seems like it did now- like much more information that we don't have yet.

I truly believed it was a homicide at first. It was pretty scary with all the neighboring schools on lockdown. 3 dangerous men on the run. I thought they were going to catch them. I thought they would at least have descriptions. After the dust had settled, and discovering that the police have absolutely nothing to go by when it came to proving that someone else was there besides Gliniewicz, I changed my mind.

I know that my opinion is not an easy one to swallow for everyone. But I need to see more proof after all these resources were put into this investigation.

I truly believed it was a homicide at first. It was pretty scary with all the neighboring schools on lockdown. 3 dangerous men on the run. I thought they were going to catch them. I thought they would at least have descriptions. After the dust had settled, and discovering that the police have absolutely nothing to go by when it came to proving that someone else was there besides Gliniewicz, I changed my mind.

I know that my opinion is not an easy one to swallow for everyone. But I need to see more proof after all these resources were put into this investigation.

My position on it followed the same path, and it hit close to home, since we live due east of Fox Lake, had kids under soft lockdown at school, and even had the helicopters over our house at times. It was very scary the first couple days. There really is no happy outcome to this case, no matter what the final ruling is.

Authorities investigating possibility of suicide in death of Ill. police officer

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/1...-shooting-death-ill-police/?intcmp=latestnews

Sources tell Fox News two shell casings were found about 100 feet apart from each other near Gliniewicz’s body, which was discovered face down. His hand was in a gun position, the firearm “dropped at his body.”

Add to this that there were no defensive wounds, no signs of a struggle; the three people initially suspected were cleared.

I have got to think that suicide has become the most likely explanation.

If, and this is a big if, this does turn out to be a suicide, I'm still very sad for the officer and his family. But I'm also a bit upset, thinking about all of the wasted resources, the chance that someone wrongly suspected could have been prosecuted or even convicted, etc.

Suicide is one thing, but I would have to take issue with all of the mischief that the cover-up has created. It is a serious problem.

Authorities investigating possibility of suicide in death of Ill. police officer

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/1...-shooting-death-ill-police/?intcmp=latestnews

Sources tell Fox News two shell casings were found about 100 feet apart from each other near Gliniewicz’s body, which was discovered face down. His hand was in a gun position, the firearm “dropped at his body.”

Thanks! Can you dredge up that bullet proof vest video? I couldn't find it. If it's a pain, don't bother. There was discussion of the shot to the vest. C

Yes, I did know about the prevalence of suicide in law enforcement profession. Interesting (shocking) fact: 34% of LEOs suffer from PTSD compared to 14% of military veterans. The risk of suicide in LEO is 39% higher than all other professions combined. Scary, right?

That said, committing suicide and covering it up to look like an ambush, hypothetical cover-up involving others, it's just not logical

In many departments the death benefits from death in the line of duty whether suicide or homicide is the same. Not only is the profession high risk in a physical sense, but also a mental and emotional sense.

So yeah, still, IMO, suicide is not even plausible.

There is always a remote (.00000001%) possibility that I am wrong.

Police from Fox Lake suffer PTSD?
I don't doubt inner city police have good reasons to develop ptsd.
But, Fox Lake LE, not as likely imo.

ABC is covering Joe Battaglia's court appearance.
His attorney claims he has no knowledge of or direct connection to the investigation. JB was just trying to provoke (my word) more information about the case (typical lawyer comment).

Filenko was in court today but didn't talk to reporters.
Investigators he leads do not have results from ballistics, gun shot residue, or "significant dna" recovered from the scene of CJG's death.
All theories being discussed are still open.

Judge refused a bond reduction for JB.

Add to this that there were no defensive wounds, no signs of a struggle; the three people initially suspected were cleared.

I have got to think that suicide has become the most likely explanation.

If, and this is a big if, this does turn out to be a suicide, I'm still very sad for the officer and his family. But I'm also a bit upset, thinking about all of the wasted resources, the chance that someone wrongly suspected could have been prosecuted or even convicted, etc.

Suicide is one thing, but I would have to take issue with all of the mischief that the cover-up has created. It is a serious problem.
BBM, do you have a source where there has been a clear statement that there were no defensive wounds and no signs of a struggle?

Thanks!

Edit: I see, it was in the Fox News article, attributed to "sources". I'm very interested in the coroner's report now.

BBM, do you have a source where there has been a clear statement that there were no defensive wounds and no signs of a struggle?

Thanks!

Yes -- this post was initially linked by KEVINinTO --

"There was no sign of a struggle or defensive wounds—especially one to save his own life."

eta -- I think it's impossible that a veteran LEO, and a military vet with (if memory serves) experience in close-quarters combat, would have surrendered his sidearm without a heck of a struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member