IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the reports were 50 yards and the Lt was reportedly chasing the suspects into the swamp. I used google map's scale to clock of 50 yards and it's pretty much what SteelMan has outlined. I don't know why he (and I) put it at 500 feet. It should have been closer to 1500 feet (as Google's Scale shows.)

Just a few things I wanted to mention. Yes, instead of watching the Cowboys. I find myself listening again to scanner from that day. Not going to mention anything significant in the sense of these things have been released public outside of one observation I have made.

Re-read what he said at 7:56:08:"I’m off thee (stretch the “the" gravel road that runs between the cement plant and honing road"
Then he pipes back in hurriedly at 7:56:22 with "plants off Rollins"
I am not sure if it is significant or not in the wording. He didn't say he was off "honing" He said he is off the gravel road that runs between the plant and honing. If he was off honing, wouldn't he have said that? Is there another gravel road in that area behind the trees? Can anyone else see what I am saying or am I mistaken?

Additionally, I wanted to add that someone did come on the radio but nothing came through but dead air
7:59:45 Dead air (someone turned on radio but nothing came through)

Yes, the reports were 50 yards and the Lt was reportedly chasing the suspects into the swamp. I used google map's scale to clock of 50 yards and it's pretty much what SteelMan has outlined. I don't know why he (and I) put it at 500 feet. It should have been closer to 1500 feet (as Google's Scale shows.)[/QUOTE50 yards is equal to 150 feet, a track traileris roughly 53' so that would be three (3) trailers. Below is the site at honing rd. The long rectangle white things at the top of the picture are trailers, three of those is the distance that his body was found from the cruiser. jmo idk
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3879463,-88.1742327,140m/data=!3m1!1e3

Do we know? or is that info available? How accurate is this gps as far as saying that the unit moved 10 feet from one minute to the next, is it that accurate that if he or the vehicle moved 100 feet that gps would pick this up/know this? Idk jmo

I'm using the info as Filenko released it to reporters himself.

Just a few things I wanted to mention. Yes, instead of watching the Cowboys. I find myself listening again to scanner from that day. Not going to mention anything significant in the sense of these things have been released public outside of one observation I have made.

Re-read what he said at 7:56:08:"I’m off thee (stretch the “the" gravel road that runs between the cement plant and honing road"
I am not sure if it is significant or not in the wording. He didn't say he was off "honing" He said he is off the gravel road that runs between the plant and honing. If he was off honing, wouldn't he have said that? Is there another gravel road in that area behind the trees? Can anyone else see what I am saying or am I mistaken?

Additionally, I wanted to add that someone did come on the radio but nothing came through but dead air

Google maps shows only one gravel road (the one in my attachment) and it is shown as part of Honing Road.

bbm

7:52 a.m. Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz calls dispatch, reports three men acting “suspicious.”
7:55 a.m. Gliniewicz calls in for backup. (At some point, the three suspects ran into a swamp.)
8:01 a.m. Additional officers arrive.
8:09 a.m. The officers find Gliniewicz’s body.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09...h-fox-lake-officer-charles-joseph-gliniewicz/

Walker, I wouldn't advise you to watch the Cowboys game tonight. They are getting massacred. :pillowfight:

1500 feet? 1 yard = 3 feet. 50 yards = 150 feet. So was he 50 yards from his vehicle or 500 yards from his vehicle?

For any suspect to get out of there on foot they would need to go to either Rollins or 12. They would not know which direction on either road a police cruiser would be coming in response.

If they had a vehicle it was probably parked off Honing before the gate. So they would have eventually headed back that direction. That was the only direction for first responders to get their vehicles in so the suspects would have been likely to have been seen by first responders.

If I was them there's no way I'd leave the vechicle off Honing,that's literally announcing your presence in an area known for nefarious activity and has no trespassing signs clearly posted.

Fox Lake Animal Hospital's parking lot and a few secluded parking areas just off it is not only just off Route 12,it is approximately only 350 yards from where Lt.Gliniewicz's body was found.

That's only one scenario,they had ample time to distance themselves from the crime scene itself and excellent terrain to enable them to exfiltrate the area well before a perimeter was established.

Given the time line/head start...guys on foot escaping from a location like the abandoned cement plant is one of the easiest things to believe.

Link to my Facebook page for uploading photos I took yesterday. It took forever to upload them from my phone, you have to do one photo at a time when you upload in a browser as opposed to the Facebook app. The Facebook app wants access to all of your phone info and I am not doing that. Also, the page is for registered Websleuths members, therefore, it is set to private. (I am tired of my photos being taken and used on the net without permission).
Sorry, but it is what it is.

If you want a certain shot in the area taken, let me know and I will take it and upload it on Facebook for you. I also have a lot more photos that I had taken prior to yesterday that I have not uploaded. thora.jay.3

I have doing a lot of thinking about the map I posted earlier and the timeline we have from the GPS information and the LT's radio traffic.

We know from the GPS in his vehicle that the LT was on site (parked at the gate on Honing Road for 20 Minutes before he first radioed in to report the three suspects.

If you look at the map and imagine him sitting in his car, you can also imagine his field of view from that perspective. (I'll try to illustrate it - see attached)

It is obvious, looking that the map and the outline of the Lt's likely field of vision, that the three suspects that he described would have either had to walk into his field of view AFTER he had been parked there for some time. Or, they were there for as much as 20 Minutes and they would have been completely able to see him and his car - before he finally radioed in that he was going to check them out.

Bottom Line: Knowing that the Lt's car was at that gate for 20 minutes before he first radioed in, the map and the outline of his most likely field of vision does not support the Lt's report that the three suspects were there.

If they were there and if they were up to no good, they could easily see him and his car from that area. Then to consider the Lt's claim that "THEY headed towards the swamp?" It's highly unlikely, since the swamp area is so close to the road there.

There is no logical reason for why they would wait 20 minutes for the LT to exit his car, before they would then flee from

That's a really sharp curve in the road just past where Lt.JG's body was found.If they were approaching from the plant's open area,they wouldn't see each other until they were fairly close to each other.Both them and Lt.Joe would then suddenly and almost simultaneously be in each other's line of sight.

A 70 degree morning sitting in his patrol car since around 7:30 with the motor off sipping a long tall coffee when he and the trio become aware of each other's presence.Lt.Joe radios description,the trio stay calm,hoping the situation doesn't escalate.Lt.Joe exits his patrol car,sees they're going to flee,uses radio to initiate backup to start rolling.....

Yeah, there are so many details missing in this saga....if his last day was Aug 31, but he was asked to stay through September, when did that request happen? Was it on Aug 31 at his meeting with the Mayor? So, OK he took the patrol car home, because he was going to work Sept 1. But then the Mayor, who had asked him to stay on through September, texted him on Sept1 to ask him to go to work because there was an officer shooting (and he did not know that the officer down was Gliniewicz) ????? Since he expected CG to work thru September, did it ever occur to him that Gliniewicz would know before HE did that an officer was down, unless the officer was Gliniewicz, himself.??? If the 31 st was his last day, did anyone plan to throw a party for him? Mel G. made a remark later, something to the effect of "why didn't he just walk away"... that to me, meant that SHE expected his last day to be Aug 31, also. What am I missing,here? JMO
BBM

I'm not sure if it was ever stated that his last day was August 31st. After the shooting, the Tribune reported that Fox Lake Mayor Donn Scmidt, a close friend of Lt G, said "He'd recently discussed retiring as soon as this month, said Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-fox-lake-school-lockdown-20150901-story.html

So we know that in Arpril 2015 he reached 30 years of service and the corresponding 75% maximum pension. He has also been applying for several police chief positions. There was probably a lot of informal discussion and speculation regarding his retirement which is typically for employees with 30+ years. Lt G probably had not made a concrete decision on a retirement date because he would like to have another job lined up before he formally submitted his retirement papers.

The selection process the position of police chief involves several rounds of interviews and background/reference checks and candidates do not know when a final decision will be announced. So I believe that Lt G's statement that he may retire as early as September was related to his hope that he would get the Antioch job. That did not happen and Antioch swore in their new Chief on August 17. Shortly thereafter, Fox Lake Chief Behan was suspended and days after that he chose to retire. Days later, the mayor meets with Lt G and reportedly asks him to continue working until the end of September while they seek a replacement for the Chief. Because he did not state the following, I am assuming that the Mayor did not ask Lt G to serve as interim chief or encourage him to stay and apply for the position of chief. This despite their professional relationship and close friendship of 30 years.

It is likely that Mel G knew that her husband was not being considered for the position of chief by Fox Lake and was understandably unhappy. I think her comment reflected that, with the benefit of hindsight, she wished that he had just walked away from Fox Lake and collected his 75% pension while continuing to search for a police chief position.

I have no real theory regarding the text message that the mayor reportedly sent. That doesn't make sense to me on several levels.

I have a question. Did I miss where it said that he (The Lt.) was not being considered for the Fox Lake police chief job? I was under the impression that no decisions were made as the Chief decided to retire in light of him being put on administrative leave. You can read the Chief's remarks about his retirement in the Village Agenda that I have linked numerous times.

I just want to make sure we clarify if we are speculating because a lot of times this information gets thrown around as if it's been verified as fact and it gets confusing.

Considering he was planning on retiring and planning for a Chief job elsewhere. Would the process be the same if he was also up for consideration for Fox Lake Chief? Would he retire and then take his position as Chief? As far as we know the interim Chief was named after the LT. passed away. How are we to assume that he didn't meet with the Mayor because he was being considered for Chief? He was after all present at the last Village Agenda meeting.

1500 feet? 1 yard = 3 feet. 50 yards = 150 feet. So was he 50 yards from his vehicle or 500 yards from his vehicle?

Duh.

Thanks for the correction.

That's what I get for multi-tasking.

I think I'm gonna slow down and check multiple sources. When I think I have it about right, I'll update the location on my version of SteelMan's map.

Well he or anyone else could probably hear the dispatcher directing back up on where to go. So suspects would have to be super quick to get his gun and shoot him. Then let him get 30 yards or 100ft away and shoot him again. Then quickly drop the weapon without making sure he was dead. And then run the opposite direction of possible incoming backup.

OMG, It never even occurred to me to think about the alleged suspects hearing the dispatcher. Now I'm laughing that I didn't think of that earlier. I am such a dufus sometimes, lol.

I like your scenario DexterMorgan, it's a definite possibility!

That's a really sharp curve in the road just past where Lt.JG's body was found.If they were approaching from the plant's open area,they wouldn't see each other until they were fairly close to each other.Both them and Lt.Joe would then suddenly and almost simultaneously be in each other's line of sight.

A 70 degree morning sitting in his patrol car since around 7:30 with the motor off sipping a long tall coffee when he and the trio become aware of each other's presence.Lt.Joe radios description,the trio stay calm,hoping the situation doesn't escalate.Lt.Joe exits his patrol car,sees they're going to flee,uses radio to initiate backup to start rolling.....

Got any foot prints on that dirt/ gravel road?

According to the structure of the FLPD, a Lt is the rank immediately below the chief. He would be the highest ranking officer and in charge of his entire shift. I can't imagine he would miss roll call & the standard meeting with the previous Lt to exchange pertinent information. It is even harder to understand why he would miss this for a routine patrol and then spend 20 minutes on scene.

This also reminds me of a question I have had for a while. Has anyone noticed that on the map made by Steelman (or just use Google Earth), it appears that there is a worn vehicle path through a grassy area between the water treatment plant and the abandoned cement factory. It looks like this would allow vehicles to access the entire area beyond the locked gate where Lt. G's car was found. Who would be driving this area frequently enough to wear this path? If this path would allow vehicle access andI the Lt was routinely patrolling this area, did he know about this access and why did he park and go around the fence on foot?

Is there an area around the former cement plant that is routinely mowed? Could a trailer carrying riding lawn mowers have made the tracks you are talking about?

I can't stop wondering why GI Joe apparently would not be involved with the Explorers anymore. Were the kids aware of that? No send-off party? It seems to be, that his association with it was to end rather abruptly. I can't see why his retirement would not allow him to continue volunteering...........if he had secured a new job where he would have to move,OK, but he had not. Don't Explorer parents wonder what the deal is? JMO

He likely felt terribly hurt,perhaps depressed about being rejected for the Fox Lake C.O.P position and decided to sever all ties with the community.

Yeah, there are so many details missing in this saga....if his last day was Aug 31, but he was asked to stay through September, when did that request happen? Was it on Aug 31 at his meeting with the Mayor? So, OK he took the patrol car home, because he was going to work Sept 1. But then the Mayor, who had asked him to stay on through September, texted him on Sept1 to ask him to go to work because there was an officer shooting (and he did not know that the officer down was Gliniewicz) ????? Since he expected CG to work thru September, did it ever occur to him that Gliniewicz would know before HE did that an officer was down, unless the officer was Gliniewicz, himself.??? If the 31 st was his last day, did anyone plan to throw a party for him? Mel G. made a remark later, something to the effect of "why didn't he just walk away"... that to me, meant that SHE expected his last day to be Aug 31, also. What am I missing,here? JMO

IDK that there was an official last day since it has been mentioned in msm that he had not filled out any official paperwork to retire. Still, all the various dates, September, end of the year, stay later, move it up........ is hinky. It's almost as weird as Bob Harrod's daughters and the rotating time their father was last seen....... Anyhoo, I hope the mayor is being interviewed intensely. I seriously doubt the 90 minute meeting was entirely about the Explorer group.

What source is there noting that the body was found in the trees as indicated in the picture? In my mind, I have him on Honing/road or the cement plant lot.

I had him closer to the former cement plant. We know he wasn't on the road, because if he was on the road it wouldn't have taken several minutes to find him and they wouldn't have had to use machetes to cut away at the brush at the crime scene.

Got any foot prints on that dirt/ gravel road?

That would be helpful,I don't know the composition of the road.

That would depend on the on the material used,gravel size,ratio of dirt to gravel and possibly the weather conditions around that time.I'm not far from the location,but maybe one of the locals who've been there recently can describe the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member