IL IL - Lucy Burbank, 1892-1894 - Alleged murder victim?

Jinx LOL! :D

I found this girl's marriage certificate too btw, attaching. She married a Frank Mallory December 18th 1878. She was 22. Not sure if this would be the bank book Lucy, as she would have been using her maiden name, unless he died and she changed it back or something?

Attachments

• familysearch2.jpg
    familysearch2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 35
From Ancestry obit: Tracy Burbank died at home of William and Lillie Goss, it was in 13 Dec 1892 paper. Lillie died 14 Nov 1898. Both were buried at Rosehill.

Lillie married Goss 30 March 1876 at her parents' home-388 W Indiana St.

Sister Annie died at home of sister, Mrs. P Kimmey, 413 Walnut Ave and mother, Eliza was still alive. This was early June 1904.

The only record I can find that may be Eliza, Elizabeth, is a death recorded 23 March 1923. If her, she lived to 102!

Dinner's done, more tomorrow if I can find it.

If this is the Lucy Burbank with the bank book, HH Holmes did not kill her. Found Lucy Mallory and Frank Mallory living in Nebraska in 1900. Somehow, we need to find a news article about this bank book, if another one was ever written. I am starting to think Burbank was the woman's married name.

To me, it looked like her occupation might be Domestic Servant in the censes form.

VB

I found a passenger list with a Lucy Burbank married to David Burbank (age 30). She was 21 in Nov 1877 and they were arriving in NY from Aspinwall, Panama but both were American. Her occupation is "Lady" and his says either Clock or Clerk with what looks like Merchant written in above it like after the fact. I will keep looking.

I attached the image. They are at the very top.

Attachments

• imageLucyBurbank.x.jpg
    imageLucyBurbank.x.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 33
I wonder if clocks were a lucrative business? I would imagine for that time they were.

This could be something, I am not a member of ancestry.com but the first image that highlights her name after an archive search mentions a bank (First National Bank of an unidentified city) and also that she made deposits on daily basis. It sounds like they are talking about the record book that was found with HH Creeper.

The quote is "It belonged to Lucy Burbank and was the property of the First National Bank of this city" it is an Atlanta newspaper so maybe First National Bank of Atlanta? It goes on.... "It showed that....Burbank was a heavy depositor, putting money in the bank every day and sometimes (?) as high as 3000 (I think)".

Mentions also a Detective Fitzpatrick, I think it says "Detectives Fitzpatrick and Norton" but that is only a guess.

Also says something about being found in a building at 63rd and Wallace (?) streets.

This was published July 22 1895 in The Atlanta Constitution.
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=histnews&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=ms_f-76&gsfn=lucy&gsln=burbank&gskw=missing&uidh=000

CONFIRMATION ON ADDRESS

This is about the right Lucy Burbank. Google "63rd and Wallace Streets" and all kinds of hits about Chicago and the book "Devil in the White City" pop up!
http://www.google.com/search?q=63rd+and+wallace+streets&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

I just saw the post about this in the Genealogy thread, so popped in to see what you've found. I went to the Atlanta Constitution's link, and the first thing I saw was the title and the words "Making Eight Murders Traceable to the Fiend". We don't see bold headlines like that much these days. In today's news it would read something like, "Making Eight Murders Traceable to the Alleged Fiend". :rolleyes: I can think of a certain defense attorney or two who would have been all over this case like white on rice. Think of the publicity!

I see you guys have done quite a bit of research for Lucy. Very impressive.

She may have been daughter of Tracy and Eliza(beth) Burbank of Chicago born about 1857. In limited searching I found that while eliza had 7 children, only 3 were alive in 1900. Those, I assume where Jessie, Annie and a daughter married to a Goss. I found an obit for Tracy and their only son on Ancestry.

Lucy was at 13 working as a book binder in 1880 census, then no further record I can find.

Maybe a correction or typo, at Newspaperarchive.com 1904, think it was, article said Lucy's depsoits were up to $300.00, not 3,000.00. Either way, good $$.

All accounts I've seen say her deposits were as high as $300.

I found Lucy's family on the 1880 census but I can't find her. Where did you see it? Maybe my eyes are tired. Can you point me in the right direction, please?

Eliza Marshall Burbank died 4 June 1911 in Whitehall, Muskegon, Michigan, where she was living with son-in-law Peter Kimmey and his second wife on the 1910 Census. She was 90 at her death. She was born in 1821 in Ireland.

It's very difficult to link Lucy with this Burbank family because all Chicago's vital records prior to 1871 were destroyed in the big fire of that year. Records began again in 1872. Don't know what kind of church records are still in existence from that time and if any were burned.

This could be something, I am not a member of ancestry.com but the first image that highlights her name after an archive search mentions a bank (First National Bank of an unidentified city) and also that she made deposits on daily basis. It sounds like they are talking about the record book that was found with HH Creeper.

The quote is "It belonged to Lucy Burbank and was the property of the First National Bank of this city" it is an Atlanta newspaper so maybe First National Bank of Atlanta? It goes on.... "It showed that....Burbank was a heavy depositor, putting money in the bank every day and sometimes (?) as high as 3000 (I think)".

I've found similar articles from several newspapers around the country and they say "First National Bank of this city". Well, of course, the police probably didn't find bank books from many cities, so obviously it was collected from wire sources and just printed without much fact checking or proofreading by the newspapers. You know, like they do today with items from Reuters or Associated Press. :wink:

I can post them if you like. I'm currently checking them because some are continued to another page and I have to search for those additional pages.

The InterOcean newspaper in Illinois said Holmes was in jail in Philadelphia. Interesting.

If this is the Lucy Burbank with the bank book, HH Holmes did not kill her. Found Lucy Mallory and Frank Mallory living in Nebraska in 1900. Somehow, we need to find a news article about this bank book, if another one was ever written. I am starting to think Burbank was the woman's married name.

I saw in the newspaper reports where it said MISS Lucy Burbank, but of course, that could have been a guess without knowing who she was at the time. The marriage of Lucy Burbank and Frank Mallory took place around the time the other Lucy Burbank was born. It would have been nice if these newspapers had followed up on the bank book story.

Story from InterOcean (Illinois) newspaper attached (21 July 1895) in two files.

Attachments

• HolmesMurders_21July1895_InterOcean_Illinois.pdf
    445.4 KB · Views: 7
  • HolmesMurders_21July1895_InterOcean_Illinois_p4.pdf
    779.1 KB · Views: 4
Herman W. Mudgett
I just wanted to put his real name someplace. What a monster. Unbelievable.
He was hung in Philadelphia.

Yes, I saw his real name in the Genforums at Genealogy.com. Thanks.

Eliza Marshall Burbank died 4 June 1911 in Whitehall, Muskegon, Michigan, where she was living with son-in-law Peter Kimmey and his second wife on the 1910 Census. She was 90 at her death. She was born in 1821 in Ireland.

On closer look at the 1910 census, it is Jessie listed as Peter's wife. There was no new wife. It was transcribed incorrectly. I found Jessie and Peter living in Santa Monica, California in 1930. She died in 1947, he died in 1948, both in Los Angeles County.

Their son Horace lived in Los Angeles for a time and ultimately died in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1975.

A downloadable copy of Detective Frank P. Geyer's book about the crime and his search for the victim can be found here:

The Holmes-Pitezel case; a history of the greatest crime of the century and of the search for the missing Pitezel children (1896)

http://www.worldcat.org/title/the-h...ac4a291133e8933e680630&linktype=digitalObject

I've search a bit more for Lucy Burbank, and there's nothing. :shakehead: I do know that Lucy's family did have some wealth. Her father had done well with land in Wisconsin and then moved to Chicago. I'm assuming the younger Lucy is the one in question, not the married older Lucy, as Holmes/Mudgett seemed to prey on the young and vulnerable.

I read the book, The Devil in The White City, and at times found it distracting. I would have preferred one book about the fair and another book about Holmes. I found the way it was written, chapters about the fair, a chapter on Holmes, more about the fair, then something about Holmes, a bit much for one novel. I was interested in both subjects, but with the amount of names being tossed at me, I kept forgetting who was doing what! If I read it again, I'll read only the fair chapters first, then do another read of only the Holmes chapters. Maybe it would be better that way.

In all, the hero of the whole deal with Holmes is Detective Frank P. Geyer of the Philadelphia police force, who took on the task of searching for the missing/the bodies by doggedly visiting numerous cities, towns, states, and into Canada. He's my hero. Definitely the Chicago police failed in their duties big time and it took a Philadelphia man to do their job.

An interesting note was how the fair in Chicago, 1893, introduced to the world things like Shredded Wheat, Aunt Jemima's Pancake Mix, Juicy Fruit gum, Cracker Jack, Pabst Blue Ribbon beer (named so because it won the top brew award), and of course, the Ferris Wheel, among many other things. Stuff we take for granted today. :woohoo:

While reading the newspapers reports of the trial, I learned Holmes/Mudgett buried at least one victim in the same cemetery when my ancestors were buried in Philadelphia! Also, the guy even questioned witnesses during his own trial. He had an attorney but must have wanted in on the action. :eek:

Cleveland Plain Dealer
1 November 1895

In this article, it says the judge presiding over the trial refused to allow evidence of the murdered children of the victim (Pitezel/Pietzel) because it had no bearing in the trial against Holmes for the murder of their father.

Attachments

• HolmesBrokeDown_1Nov1895_ClevelandPlainDealer.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I find this so interesting. All of you are amazing at digging up information.

Slightly off topic from Lucy, but I just read an article that they are making a movie about the book "The Devil in the White City" starring Leaonardo DiCaprio as Holmes. Sounds like it might be good one.

Leonardo DiCaprio to play Chicago serial killer Dr. H.H. Holmes in "Devil in the White City" movie!

If DiCaprio and company stay faithful to the book, this is going to be a HUGE movie - not only creating Holmes's disgusting surroundings, but the entire White City. Exciting, historical, incredible characters - it has Best Picture written all over it......

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/les...il-in-the-white-city-movie.html#ixzz15t1zOc00

Whoa!!! Thanks for the heads up on the flick.

The book has lots of detail about the planning of the fair, the mayor's murder, but as usual, I'm sure the movie people will cut it down somewhat. I suggest they focus more on Holmes because, we all know, blood and gore are what the young movie-going audience wants, plus an explosion or two. :rolleyes:

I found all elements fascinating, I just would have liked to have two separate books for easier reading. :blushing:

First off THANK YOU for all of that amazing information.

I will add my $0.02 next week as it is 11pm for me, I get up at 5am for work and it is Thanksgiving week. Just wanted to let you all know I saw the awesome info you took the time to dig up. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back