IL IL - Mary Ann Becker, 16, Atkinson, 9 Sept 1974

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by bessie, Apr 12, 2014.

1. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

[​IMG]
    Mary Ann Becker
    Murdered in her home, September 9, 1974, Atkinson, IL

Police still looking for clues in Atkinson teen’s 1974 murder
    It's believed that the killer was someone who knew Mary Ann and/or her family.

The night she was killed, her father had returned to work after being out sick for two weeks.

In the weeks prior to the murder, the family had received phone calls inquiring if Mr. and Mrs. Becker were at home.

Four agencies including the Henry County Sheriff’s Department, Illinois State Police, Illinois State Crime Laboratory and the Atkinson Police Department worked the investigation, but the murder remains unsolved.

2. Loading...

3. bessie

[​IMG]

http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/print_display.php?id=485955

The murder of Mary Ann Becker is the oldest unsolved case on the Illinois State Police website.

Contact Information: Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact Special Agent Brian Masters, Illinois State Police, at 309-752-4915 ext. 4934, or PSA Larry Kot, Illinois State Police, at 847-608-3230.

4. Kell1

Kell1 Verified law enforcement

Thanks Bess

Not sure if they are trying to indicate she died as a result of being tied to the piano, and was strangled, by the placement of the rope, or manually strangled, by the offender.

If you were to investigate this, you would check 1st see if there were any burglaries, or break ins in the area (Possibly Home invasions, which were rare back then)

I didn't see anything indicating anything of value was taken, so it doesn't seem likely that this was a robbery or burglary

theres nothing to indicate a forced entry, which could indicate, someone familiar with the victim, however, there have been more than a few cases of criminals simply walking right through an unlocked, door .

This seems looks an upscale community so its possible doors were left unlocked.

It also doesn't say she was sexually assaulted, but she was beaten

It would be important to know whether or not she was strangled before being tied to the piano, (where the ligature furrow wouldn't match the placement of the rope around her neck), after she was tied, or if it appears her bindings caused her death, by placement

5. bessie

Rich, I interpret this statment to mean the piano was an element of the ligature strangulation.
    http://www.starcourier.com/article/20140310/News/140319882#ixzz2yjD0sOk4

Heaven have mercy on the poor mother who returned home after work to be met with such horror. Some parents spend many years tortured by questions of what happened to their missing children, and others, like Mary Ann's parents, know all too well. I can't help but wonder which is worse.

When reading about Mary Ann's murder, two details in particular jumped out at me.

1. Victim tied to a piano.

2. Two forms of ligature: rope and electrical cord.

Both are unusual, and indicate planning and forethought. The electrical cord might've been one already in use in the home, but more than likely the rope was brought to the scene by the killer. Then tying the victim to the piano, that seems very personal to me. If nothing else, the killer had to know he would have time to complete the act. It's no wonder the consensus back then was that the killer knew the family, and was aware both parents were at work. Yet, from what I've read, LE didn't turn up any strong suspects. I'd be looking at a peer acquaintance, a teacher, a co-worker of either parent, or someone who recently had done work inside the home, like a painter or a plumber.

As to the question of sexual assault, it's jmo, but what I've come to realize after researching hundreds of older cold cases, unless it's stated that no sexual assault occurred, it's safe to assume it did. It just wasn't the norm at the time to report it, especially when the victim was a minor. On the other hand, in the cases of prostitute vicitms, rape/sexual assault often was overstated to sensationalize the story. Some might disagree, but that's my impression, fwiw.

6. Kell1

Actually the use of the electrical cord seemed to indicate it wasn't a planned, event. However I believe though the origin of the rope is unknown at this point , so it may've come from the same house.

Though its entirely possible that the killer brought the rope, and didn't have enough, which would indicate unfamiliarity with that type of action. And present a mixed, scene in terms of behavior

In ANY homicide of a child PARTICULARLY one inside a home, where they reside, you investigate the family 1st . This is especially true if there's any history of the child being injured, whether they were initially cleared, or not.

Unfortunately sometimes parents & siblings, kill children.

You interview, anyone and everyone, you come across, in connection to the victim.

Next you look to see what type of crimes, were committed in the area.. any break ins, burglaries, any robberies, any sexual assaults?

Forensically, depending on how intricate her bindings, were you could speculate (I hate to use that word here) her killer was comfortable within the residence , indicating some familiarity with the residence, and the victim, OR you can make the assumption (again hate to "assume" anything) he was in a panic, and grabbed whatever he could to bind her to the piano, after beating her.

There are some elements of this crime, that seem "staged" to throw off the investigation, though without the actual reports, and crime scene photos.. again speculative

You would need to determine 1) Was she tied THEN beaten.. IE Any cast off blood, on the outside of bindings, and surrounding area, where she was found, or 2) was she beaten, THEN tied to the piano- IE blood on the inside of he bindings, but not in the immediate area in which she was found

This would show 2 very distinct, differing Offender behavior patterns

Though its possible her attacker strangled, her and then set it so it looked as if her positioning, caused, her to die of strangulation, If the report of the binding causing her death is accurate, you might even call her death "accidental" (in terms of how she actually died)

Figures, and that would be a key piece of evidence, in determining motive.

7. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

This is perhaps unlikely, but just thought I would mention that the date of this murder falls within the time Paul John Knowles was on his 'round-the-country traveling and killing spree.

Online sources for the specific dates of his crimes can be contradictory, but for convenience I'm using Wikipedia here: He killed a man in Lima, Ohio on Sept. 3, 1974. On September 18, he killed an elderly couple in Ely, Nevada. The date (Sept. 9) and state (Illinois) of Mary Ann Becker's murder are "on his way" between those known murders.

Paul John Knowles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I KNOW that there are some inaccuracies in the Wikipedia article, but I'm hoping that on the dates of the two murders mentioned, at least, it's accurate.)

I do think this is a long shot, because I don't see why Knowles, if he was the killer, would have neglected to "catalogue" this murder on the tapes he recorded -- and if he had, I assume the case would have been solved. But the date and location do "fit", so thought I'd mention him.

Knowles killed a woman in my home county by strangling her with the telephone cord cut from her phone -- in the bathtub or bathroom, I believe. I don't know whether there was any sign of forced entry to her home, but I rather think not, because, until Knowles came to light, local LE was looking almost exclusively, at least for a while, at the boyfriend with whom she lived. Thankfully, Knowles' tapes removed suspicion from him.

It would be interesting to see some of those sketches made of "people seen around town that night" mentioned in one of the articles.

8. Kell1

Excellent recall

Definitely cant be discounted, Knowles was a friggin animal, but I believe he admitted, to all his crimes, (at least ones, they could verify) , so I cant see him leaving this one out.

I also believe (if I recall correctly) there was some form of sexual aspect to Knowles crimes, (at least most of them) primarily with younger victims, and many thefts.

If it was Knowles, I don't think there would be ANY question as to whether or not the victim was manually or mechanically strangled, by her bindings, id also expect to see at least some type of sexual assault as she was definitely within the age range of the women he did rape and that she was home alone.

Id also expect some type of theft from the residence, as well

I don't think it was Knowles, though its entirely possible

9. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

FWIW, the first thing that popped into my head when I read rope was a clothes line from the yard.... I wonder if the evidence has been tested for dna.

From an above linked article:
    Page 2 of 2 - Anyone with information regarding the case is asked to contact Illinois State Police Special Agent Brian Masters at (309) 752-4915, Ext. 4934, or Illinois State Police PSA Larry Kot at (847) 608-3230.
    Callers with information also may contact Henry County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-227-2324. Calls are anonymous and rewards are offered for tips leading to an arrest and conviction

Read more: http://www.starcourier.com/article/20140310/News/140319882#ixzz3DFRMNVWe

10. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

[h=1]Illinois State Police Reopen 40-Year-Old Cold Case[/h]
    Illinois State Police officials are re-interviewing people who were questioned 40 years ago about the strangulation death of a 16-year-old western Illinois girl.
    Mary Ann Becker was found beaten and strangled on her Atkinson home's living room floor in 1974. Illinois State Police investigators started researching the cold case again in January, saying it's the oldest in the East Moline office.
    Investigators renewed their search for the suspect in January, The (Moline) Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1tu5zn9 ) reported. Since then, they have discovered several people who were never interviewed after the slaying.

<snip>

Henry County Crime Stoppers recently increased its usual $1,000 reward by $15,000 for information leading to an arrest. But investigators realize the killer may already be dead.

http://www.wsiltv.com/news/three-st...e-Reopen-40-Year-Old-Cold-Case-274619701.html

11. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.galvanews.com/article/20140910/NEWS/140919892/1316/FRONTPAGE

12. Historydetective63

Historydetective63 New Member

Hi, I have seen two different photos of the victim, Mary Ann Becker, but they appear to be photos of two different girls. One has long hair, the other very short. The noses don't look the same either. Does anyone know which photo is correct?

13. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

Yes, details about the case seem lacking. I understand why they might not report sexual assault at the time to spare her family the thought but the time for that has pretty much passed. They could at least tell us if she was still fully clothed or not. The tying her to a piano seems quite odd since robbery doesn't appear to the motive. It looks like maybe an element in some sort of sexual perversion. Did they give an estimated time of death beyond the window of when the friends left and when her mom got home? What time would she be expected to go to bed? Had she changed into her sleep clothes? Was her bed turned down?

14. jemini

jemini New Member

Not forgotten. Prayers for the family, peace and resolution.

15. PastTense

PastTense Member

http://www.qconline.com/news/crime/...cle_a43ec92c-8338-591b-8d32-c6756bc57479.html

16. bessie

:crossfingers: Hoping for answers.

17. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

This is just another news story from back a few months ago when Mary Ann's body was exhumed for further forensic tests -- much the same as other stories posted back then -- except this one does include the 1974 sketch of a young man said to have been seen in the vicinity of Mary Ann's home close to the time of her murder. I recall the sketch being mentioned in other reports, but didn't remember it actually being included, though I could have just missed it.

http://www.galvanews.com/article/20140910/News/140919892

http://www.galvanews.com/storyimage...19892/AR/0/AR-140919892.jpg&MaxW=315&MaxH=315

18. scriptgirl

scriptgirl Active Member

Creepy AF. This reminds me of that case where a girl disappeared and her parents kept getting calls from someone who said he killed her.

19. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

After 43 years, police identify likely killer of small-town teen

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20170906/after-43-years-police-identify-likely-killer-of-small-town-teen

http://wqad.com/2017/09/06/sisters-say-newly-revealed-murder-suspect-in-cold-case-lived-just-houses-away/