Found Safe IL - Matthew Fryslie, 62, English teacher, was supped to catch a flight to IA, Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, 14 Sept 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
A central Iowa woman is desperately hoping to find her adult son, a teacher who was last seen at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, where he was supposed to board a flight to see family last week.

Matthew Fryslie, 62, an English teacher residing in Taiwan, was seen on security video Wednesday at O'Hare, where he was expected to catch a flight to Iowa.

But that never happened.

"Mom and my son were waiting to pick him up, and he never got off the plane,” explained Matthew's brother, Paul Fryslie. “The video techs at O’Hare have identified him as being there, and they are still trying to track his movement through the airport."

matthew-fryslie.png

More at Mother Searching for Missing Teacher Last Seen in Surveillance Video at O'Hare Airport

Very concerning that Matthew's passport has been found in the area of Broadway and Montrose, according to the article above.

The airport is located at 10000 W. Baltimoral Ave. We don't know where his passport was found, but the distance from the airport to Broadway is about 15 miles.

General overview of Broadway & Montrose

What could have happened?

His FB

And

What time was his flight? Is there a video of him leaving the airport?

Last edited:
It would be useful to know where his passport was found. Was it left behind at a cafe? Found in the street? Found in the pocket of someone arrested for a crime? Each of those has very different implications.

This is always perplexing and concerning when people disappear from an airport.
I hope and pray no foul play is responsible for MF missing.

The fact that he was returning from what seems to be an extended stay abroad has me wondering if that was a major stressor for him. Perhaps he impulsively decided to detour from the original plan, maybe just to get a clearer head about his re-entering his US life and family.
Whatever the reason, may MF be well and cognizant enough to contact his family to allay their fears and worries about his whereabouts.

Very concerning that Matthew's passport has been found in the area of Broadway and Montrose, according to the article above.

The airport is located at 10000 W. Baltimoral Ave. We don't know where his passport was found, but the distance from the airport to Broadway is about 15 miles.

General overview of Broadway & Montrose

What could have happened?
The articles on him missing don't say where he flew into Chicago from. IF he came directly from Taiwan he would have flown into Terminal 5, which is the international terminal (not terminal #1 where the train to Broadway originates) and would have then gone through customs and immigration (think that's still required even if connecting to another flight to Iowa). The steps in the process are at the airport's link here. I don't see how he could have accidentally boarded transit to Uptown Chicago during part of this process but maybe I'm missing something. International Traveler | Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD

This article from ABC 7 says Matthew was picked up by Chicago Police on Sunday and taken to Swedish Hospital and then released Monday morning. Swedish Hospital is located on Chicago's Northwest side near Lincoln Square.

"Then, on Sunday night, they found out he was picked up by police and taken to Swedish Hospital, but was released early Monday morning."

I don't think he has been found. The previous article continues:

Then, on Sunday night, they found out he was picked up by police and taken to Swedish Hospital, but was released early Monday morning.

"All we can do is hope and pray that we find him before anything bad does happen," Paul Fryslie said.

Passing out flyers Tuesday near the hospital and surrounding Uptown, the family hopes they find him soon.

He's still missing...He was discharged from the hospital, but his family still doesn't know where he is and are desperately searching.
This is concerning. Swedish hospital has a well-known psych unit but if he had been admitted due to a mental health crisis they would have kept him for 72 hours, not released him the next morning. If he was on meds long-term for a physiological health issue the long flight, jet lag, and possible dehydration could throw his body out of synch which could be addressed by medical help a lot more quickly, but why not let his family know? Hope he reaches out to his Mom soon.

So thankful to hear Matthew has been found. Wishing him and his family all the best.
Two hospital visits & no self-initiated contact with family expecting him home from Taiwan? I hope he is able to get a proper health evaluation, care & oversight so he doesn't go "missing" again. Definitely a number of red flags on this situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back