GUILTY IL - Melissa Best, 37, Round Lake Park, 15 April 2011

Yep. I am just horrified....

I agree; it is truly horrifying.

We found out yesterday that single mother Krista Dittmeiyer was likely killed by an associate of her boyfriend who was supposed to be her "protector" in a drug deal; this "protector" allegedly helped to brutally murder the mother and dump her in a pond. We found out today that Melissa Best OD'd, with no assistance from her present family members who then chose to leave her dead and alone in a parking lot (thus leaving her family, and indeed their own family, panicked and now grief-stricken).

Heart-breaking and maddening state of affairs, imo... :no:

May Melissa RIP; wishing her loved ones strength...

Oh my God, her husband's brother and sister-in-law? :(

It hurts your heart doesn't it. Especially the way they tried to hide the body. She OD'd obviously, but whether she was injected, or she did it herself is another story. I hope they find the needle.

Bless her - I had hoped she had gotten the help she needed. Oh, if you're a heroin addict, isn't that noticable? track marks, etc? Seems like a difficult addiction to hide - especially around children.

Thanks.

Mel

I am just horrified...

Missing Round Lake Park woman’s in-laws charged in her death: police

<snip>

Sherry Best and her husband, Charles — the brother of Melissa’s husband, Clinton — were charged Thursday with concealing a homicide, officials announced said. Sherry Best was also charged with drug-induced homicide, a felony which carries a minimum of 15 years in prison for allegedly providing the heroin that authorities believe killed Melissa.

After dropping off one of her children with a friend on April 15, Melissa Best drove herself to an extended-stay Waukegan motel where her in-laws lived. There, she injected herself with heroin, police said. She almost immediately fell unconscious, Round Lake Park Police Chief George Filenko said.

Sherry Best, who had earlier taken heroin, allegedly did nothing at that point to help her sister-in-law, police said.

“No attempt was made to call for emergency services,’’ Filenko said.

Charles Best came home about a half-hour later and immediately tried to resuscitate his sister-in-law but was unable to, police said.

Later that day, the Bests carried her body down the stairs from the third floor room and put the body in the backseat of Melissa Best’s minivan — which Charles Best then drove to a condominium complex in unincorporated Grayslake, police said. Sherry Best followed him in her car and picked up her husband, leaving the minivan behind.

<snip>

http://www.suntimes.com/news/534440...mans-in-laws-charged-in-her-death-police.html

:(

Oh my god!!!

I am just horrified...

Missing Round Lake Park woman’s in-laws charged in her death: police

<snip>

Sherry Best and her husband, Charles — the brother of Melissa’s husband, Clinton — were charged Thursday with concealing a homicide, officials announced said. Sherry Best was also charged with drug-induced homicide, a felony which carries a minimum of 15 years in prison for allegedly providing the heroin that authorities believe killed Melissa.
(

Though Clinton Best and his brother worked a few feet apart at the same Waukegan tool manufacturing plant, Charles Best never disclosed what had happened to Melissa, police said.

WOW! Did not see that one coming - at all.

(Glad to know just once I was right and the husband didn't do it.)

Though Clinton Best and his brother worked a few feet apart at the same Waukegan tool manufacturing plant, Charles Best never disclosed what had happened to Melissa, police said.

WOW! Did not see that one coming - at all.

(Glad to know just once I was right and the husband didn't do it.)

I feel terrible for the husband. Apparently, in the dark about his wife's struggles and therefore unable to help her. Betrayed by his own brother and sister-in-law. Grieving the loss of his wife and having to explain to his children how family members were involved. Huge burdens to bear. Wishing him strength...

I feel terrible for the husband. Apparently, in the dark about his wife's struggles and therefore unable to help her. Betrayed by his own brother and sister-in-law. Grieving the loss of his wife and having to explain to his children how family members were involved. Huge burdens to bear. Wishing him strength...

I agree.

The losses, on so many levels, that husband seems now to inevitably facing are almost unimaginable.

What kind of monsters could see family members in this kind of grief and pain and not speak up.

I'm having a really hard time digesting that her husband didn't have an inkling that she was using heroin? I'm trying to understand under what scenario that might be possible and I can't think of one unless they were separated, but it doesn't sound that way. Very odd. Won't save her now, of course, just thinking aloud.

I'm having a really hard time digesting that her husband didn't have an inkling that she was using heroin? I'm trying to understand under what scenario that might be possible and I can't think of one unless they were separated, but it doesn't sound that way. Very odd. Won't save her now, of course, just thinking aloud.

I've read a few articles recently that stated many narcotic addicts are turning to heroin when they can't get their vicodin/percocet/oxy's/whatever. My instinct is that is what happened here - Melissa and her SIL purchased some for the first or second time and Melissa accidentally OD'd. Whatever the scenario, my heart goes out to Melissa's husband and children. :(

I met with The Illinois States Atornnies office and the prosicutre in charge of Melissas case and although it seems like there is not alot going on they are hard at work trying to get some justice for melissa.They recently arested the peice of crap scrumbag drug dealer that sold sherry the herion she used to kill melissa and charged them with drug induced homicid also.They sold heroin to a 19 year old kid and he died from useing it.So they are working all three cases at the same time.

More at link: http://www.facebook.com/notes/clint-best/update/265316196814319

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/99...-melissa-best-case.html#.Tw5JXITGjyc.facebook

Negotiations are underway for a possible plea deal for the woman with an alleged role in the drug-induced death of her sister-in-law, lawyers said Tuesday.

Sherry Best faces drug-induced homicide and concealment of a homicide charges for allegedly giving Melissa Best heroin and then doing nothing to help the Round Lake Park woman after she lost consciousness.

Reading on the updates from Melissa's husband on this FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/FIND-Melissa-Best/211956618832124

They arrested the drug dealer that sold the heroin to Sherry (Melissa's sister-in-law). There were other deaths related to the drugs sold by this dealer.

A deal was offered to Sherry's husband to testify against her. From the FB updated posted by Melissa's husband:
Charles was in court today.He accepted the plea bargan and was released this afternoon.He plead guilty to the charge of conceling a homicide and wat sentanced to time served 6 months,2 years probation,drug counceling as to be decided by his probation officer,and no contact with sherry,Me or my childeren.
In return for the plea bargan he was sworn in and his testamoney will be used to convict sherry.This is a good thing i guess because it looks like sherries case may go to trial.I will keep you all posted on her case as it comes along.They are looking at a possible trial sometime just after the 1st of the year.

A Waukegan woman who hid her sister-in-law&#8217;s body for 10 days after the woman died of a heroin overdose was sentenced Friday to seven years in prison.

Sherry Best &#8212; who said nothing about her relative&#8217;s death even as other family members frantically searched for her &#8212; received the prison term after pleading guilty to drug-induced homicide in the April 15 death of 34-year-old Melissa Best.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/10126798-418/woman-gets-7-years-in-prison-for-heroin-overdose-death-of-sister-in-law.html#.TxnBSSrizDw.facebook

OMG:

Charles Best briefly tried to revive Melissa, but when his efforts failed, he and his wife loaded her body in her own minivan, then dumped the vehicle in the parking lot of a Grayslake apartment complex. On the way back to their transient hotel in Waukegan, the Bests stopped at a Denny&#8217;s Restaurant to buy milkshakes, Lake County officials have said.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/10126798-418/woman-gets-7-years-in-prison-for-heroin-overdose-death-of-sister-in-law.html#.TxnBSSrizDw.facebook

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back