IL IL - Roberta Rinearson, 10, Brookfield, 17 Dec 1948

One piece of evidence I didnt see mentioned here, they found a mans handkerchief,bearing the initial P, near Roberta's body.

Warning graphic details at link below.

http://174.123.24.242/leagle/xmlRes...5413Ill172_1568.xml&docbase=CSLWAR1-1950-1985

Very interesting reading. I see in one section that they're still trying to pin Herlindo even though the lie detector test cleared him of the crime. That not withstanding, it seems there are a lot of other unusual circumstances and obstructions that denied Lettrich a fair trial.

The handkerchief is also very curious. However, let me just say that my family has never had anything embroidered with initials, too rich for our blood. Plus, if there was to be anything embroidered on a handkerchief, the initial would have been an "A", not a "P". In Mexican culture, the Mom's surname is used as the child's middle name, a way of keeping track of your lineage. That's why there are some ridiculously long names out there in hispanic culture. Everyone in my Dad's family had the middle name of Perez, for my grandmother's maiden name. Just as my middle name initial is "S", for my mother's maiden name.

Very interesting reading. I see in one section that they're still trying to pin Herlindo even though the lie detector test cleared him of the crime. That not withstanding, it seems there are a lot of other unusual circumstances and obstructions that denied Lettrich a fair trial. ...
You are correct in your conclusion. The appeal court decision makes it clear in their last paragraph that it was the Totality of the evidence errors in Letterich's first trial which warranted a re-trial.

In regard to the prosecutors with holding the Herlindo Perez Arias "confession", this is how the appeal court addressed that point:

The defendant further contends that the court erred in its refusal to admit into evidence the testimony of the director of the behavior clinic of Cook County to show that another person had confessed this same murder to him. The general rule, supported by the great weight of authority, is that extrajudicial declarations of a third party, not made under oath, that he committed the crime, are purely hearsay, and even though they are declarations against interest, are inadmissible.
The practicality of this rule is obvious. General admission of such statements could seriously handicap the administration of justice in tempting everyone accused of crime to introduce perjured testimony that a third party, then deceased or beyond the jurisdiction of the court, had declared that he, and not the accused, had committed the crime. The rule is sound and should not be departed from except in cases where it is obvious that justice demands a departure. But it would be absurd, and shocking to all sense of justice, to indiscriminately apply such a rule to prevent one accused of a crime from showing that another person was the real culprit merely because that other person was deceased, insane or outside the jurisdiction of the court. [Unquote]

They go on to state that an exception to the general rule to NOT admit this "confession" should be made - in light of the many other evidence errors.

Letterich was convicted in 1950 of Roberta's murder, and he was sentenced to death. In 1952, his appeal resulted in the first trial being overturned. In 1953, prosecutors declined to re-try him.
I do not believe that Herlindo Perez Arias ever took a lie detector test. And even if he had, it would neither prove nor disprove his guilt or innocence. Lie detector tests and results are not admissible as evidence.

Accounts that I have seen concerning the Perez Arias confession state that it was only made to According the the account I have seen, Perez Arias confessed to Dr. William H. Haines, director of the Behavior Clinic of Cook County, on 22 December 1948. Exactly what he said in that confession is not generally known, although it is possible that at some point police and/or prosecutors got the information secondhand (hearsay) from Dr Haines.

Six days later, on 30 December 1948, Arias committed suicide. Where this occurred is not stated in documents I have seen.

Accounts that I have seen concerning the Perez Arias confession state that it was only made to According the the account I have seen, Perez Arias confessed to Dr. William H. Haines, director of the Behavior Clinic of Cook County, on 22 December 1948. Exactly what he said in that confession is not generally known, although it is possible that at some point police and/or prosecutors got the information secondhand (hearsay) from Dr Haines.

Six days later, on 30 December 1948, Arias committed suicide. Where this occurred is not stated in documents I have seen.

Herlindo confessed first to the police on December 21st, doubting his story, he was given a lie detector test. As his account didn't add up, he was sent to Dr. Haines by the state's attorney and was examined by Haines who in turn, deemed Herlindo to be insane. So, the police already knew about the confession, but had to disregard it because of Herlindo's official mental state.

Here's the article that details why he was sent to Dr. Haines.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19481222&id=do0hAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_ZcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4326,1812604

Here's a photo of Roberta that was given to the press (Or police) by the family. It is obviously a school photo that was taken in her uniform.

Attachments

• ai968.jpg
    ai968.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 78
Well, here's the article that details about Herlindo taking the lie detector test. They gave it to him because his details on the crime were not consistant with the evidence.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...9xXAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zvUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1883,2849003

From the above link:

"Chicago, Dec 22. (UP) - A lie test showed today that Herlindo Perez Arias, 31, lied when he confessed the rape-murder of a 10 year-old girl, but authorities said the test was inconclusive unless later examinations show Perez is normal mentally."

So does this mean that if he is normal mentally, he is telling the truth about killing Roberta, but if he is insane then he is lying? Or does it mean that they just don't know one way or the other UNLESS he is proven to be normal?

The statement does not make much sense to me. A person could be insane and still be telling the truth.

What would seem to be obvious is that this information was in the newspapers early on. As a United Press release, it was available to all newspapers across the country by 22 December 1948. It was public knowledge.

Therefore, how could Letterich's attorneys later claim that they did not know of this alleged confession? It seems that those defense attorneys should have demanded that confession and info on the lie detector test be available to them long before Letterich's trial.

None of this makes much sense. Did police actually take his confession and have him sign it? Or did they have such a strong feeling that Arias was insane that they just referred him immediately to Dr. Haines? The way the Appeal decision is worded, it sounds like the "confession" existed only in the mind or notes of Dr. Haines.

How long to police departments keep cold case evidence? Would they still have the records, notes and photos in their files?

I don't suppose the public would have access to that, would they?

I don't think George did it either. In one of the articles I found, an eye witness says he saw Roberta with a blond man the evening she was murdered in his bar. I found this photo on Ebay with the caption that would have accompanied the photo when printed.

Bartender Joseph Talafous couldn't identify,George Lettrich as one of his customers or as being in the tavern the night the Rinearson girl was killed.Sept 13 1950

Attachments

• cg380.jpg
    cg380.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 62
One of my aunts passed away and I attended the wake Friday night. There were many of my Dad's contemporaries in attendence, mostly cousins. I quizzed them on what they knew of Herlindo.

A few had never heard of him, didn't even realize my Dad had an older brother by that name. Of the two who did know of him, only one actually has memories of him. She said that he was drunk all time and went "a bit looney towards the end". She said, "I know that he missed his son, and that he was sad all the time. Sometimes I wouldn't see him for days, we lived in the same apartment building. But mostly I remember him sitting on the stoop in front of the house, drinking. Then he got arrested and I never saw him again. My parents told me he killed himself in jail."

She was 11 at the time. I found that most of my aunts and uncles were young children at the time, ranging in age from 9 to 13 years. My one uncle who was 13 at the time, hadn't met my Dad until he hooked up with my mother, in 1954. So, they either had no personal knowledge of my uncle Herlindo, or had been told a story by the adults to explain his death without implicating him of the crime to which he had confessed.

She was able to give me information to my Dad's best friend, who is still alive and living in Texas. I plan to contact him soon, to pick his brain on any memories he might have of Herlindo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back