IL/TX/OR+ - ROBERT BEN RHOADES, "The Truck Stop Killer", 1970's-90's

Just what criminals want to know. I wonder when he learned to read people and if that is why he was a successful poker player.

"The fact is that those tools have so far not yielded one single solution to any problem in criminology. Researchers might therefore be better off discarding the old methods and tackling the problem freshly. Until Cops & Robbers is accepted not merely as an interesting anomaly, but as the very heart of the matter in a significant percentage of cases, much research in criminology will continue to deal with trivialities, doctrines, peripheral issues or irrelevancies."​

http://rrt2.neostrada.pl/mioduszewska/course_2643_reading_3.pdf

but the FBI never confirmed it was her correct?
the two photos do not look alike to me ... aside from the angle of the head

the article linked in the first post is difficult to follow

Agreed. The photo is on the end of a role and isn't there a time gap? I would like to see police confirmation that the photo has been identified.

It's a very interesting connection to a way of thinking, such as the book, that isn't often exposed - in my humble opinion - one that seems insightful to the criminal mind.

Hoping in due time ( soon, now, fast!) there will be an update as to whether or not the photo has been confirmed by LE to be Ms Milliken.
If it turns out not to be her, then the hunt should be on to determine the true identity of the woman in the photo.. imo.rbbm.
Alberta woman recognizes herself in photo found in U.S. serial killer’s truck - APTN News
“I knew it was me but I didn’t have a photo of myself from that time to prove it to anyone,” she said. “But then I was at my niece’s a few months back and she had one on the wall.”

Milliken has reached out to the FBI at their toll-free number in the US. The dispatcher said she would research it and suggested she phone the RCMP in St Paul where she is currently enrolled in a camp preparation program.

RCMP K division confirmed Miliken’s call to APTN Investigates. Miliken said they are sending out a constable to speak with her tonight and confirm her identity.

“I was pretty freaked out when I saw it but I just want them to know I am OK,” she said.

APTN reached out to the FBI in Houston, former FBI investigator Mark Young and Milliken’s niece.

More to come.

Last edited:
Hoping in due time ( soon, now, fast!) there will be an update as to whether or not the photo has been confirmed by LE to be Ms Milliken.
If it turns out not to be her, then the hunt should be on to determine the true identity of the woman in the photo.. imo.rbbm.
Alberta woman recognizes herself in photo found in U.S. serial killer’s truck - APTN News
“I knew it was me but I didn’t have a photo of myself from that time to prove it to anyone,” she said. “But then I was at my niece’s a few months back and she had one on the wall.”

Milliken has reached out to the FBI at their toll-free number in the US. The dispatcher said she would research it and suggested she phone the RCMP in St Paul where she is currently enrolled in a camp preparation program.

RCMP K division confirmed Miliken’s call to APTN Investigates. Miliken said they are sending out a constable to speak with her tonight and confirm her identity.

“I was pretty freaked out when I saw it but I just want them to know I am OK,” she said.

APTN reached out to the FBI in Houston, former FBI investigator Mark Young and Milliken’s niece.

More to come.

Wow, dotr. Thanks for posting all these articles. Any updates?

The Texas Killing Fields was numerous serial killers killing independently - William Lewis Reece, Edward Harold Bell, Knoppa & Lanham, etc.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Henry Lee Lucas (and possibly Ottis Toole) killed a couple.

It's possible Rhoades murdered a few of the girls.

It seems it could have been a known place for a lot of people, whispered among those who are like minded and frequent the same routes. I think when they feel perfectly comfortable with each other they share tips and locations.

Any idea if Rhoades ever drove the 1-35 north? There are a few cases in MN of young women just vanishing in the years he was active.

i am glad for this site and for what it trys to do and has done my spelling sucks so please for give me for that my name is will my brothers name was ricky lee jones most wont know who he is but they would most likely know who is girlfriend was her name was Regina Kay Walters she was one of robert ben rhoades victims one of the last and saddest of a long line i never really knew my brother his father raised him and my half sister the only time i ever talk to him was maybe days or weeks before it all happened on the phone he was planning to come see me so we could get to know each other and that was the first and last time we ever talk im sad for lose of the young lady but im even sadder for ricky he is forgotten in all this shot in the head from behind and left in a ditch i life cut so short he never got to be laid to rest by his family he lay forgotten in some lab from1991 till 2008 when the dna my mother gave help them figger out who he was and then he was forgotten again im glad rhoades was put away and can never hurt any more people or destory any more familys but the pain he and so many like him leave behind can never be fixed i can only hope that these other killers are stopped to so no more people have to suffer for thier sick pleasure thank you all for your time
I am so sorry that happened to your brother. I met him summer of 1977. I was sitting in a truck stop by myself drinking a glass of tea. The waitress came over and told me this man wanted to buy my dinner and asked me to join him. The waitress convinced me to go telling me what a nice guy he seemed to be. He did come across as a nice guy. Easy to talk about nothing. He did try to get me to go to his truck. His glasses stood out. I remember him promising me what ever I wanted if I would go to his truck. He told me it was a white truck maybe peterbilt. I thought it had triangles around so easy to spot. I declined his request. I was one of the few who made it I guess.

The victim that survived and was found by LE was Lisa Pennal. "she had accepted a ride with Rhoades at a coffee shop in Buckeye, Arizona." so he approaches people that aren't just hitchhiking. It gets graphic as to what he did so I won't post but "During this ordeal, Rhoades told Pennal that he had been doing this to girls and women for 15 years."
Best Law Products and Services – ArticlesBase.com
He approached me in a truck stop. I was minding my business sitting alone drinking a glass of iced tea. He sent the waitress over for him.

suziesuzie,

I am thankful that you declined his request and are here and able to tell your story.
Thank you. It's been many years ago I expect he wasn't quite as experienced. I didn't go to his truck but he did attack me and then tell me that wasn't his intention. I was young and nieve. I believed he wanted to help me. I stood up to him and screamed in his face telling him to leave. He then offered me whatever I wanted if I would go to his truck. He even described his truck like I might think about it and go. I guess he thought I was really stupid/desperate. I remember him shaking his head at me sort of like he did during his police interview like I was being ridiculous or something. Those glasses and his mannerisms have haunted me for 45+ years. I didn't figure out who he was until recently. I always knew he was evil but when I searched before I just found his old man pictures. But that younger face with glasses is definitely him. I will never forget him. Glad he is in prison where he should be.

Robert Ben Rhoades is an American serial killer who killed two couples in Illinois and Texas in 1989 and 1990. However, he is suspected of killing more than 50 women between 1975 and 1990. He was a truck driver who would pick up his victims along Interstate 80. He became known by the moniker “The Truck Stop Killer.

Rhoades was convicted in 1994 of the first-degree murder of Regina Kay Waltersand was sentenced to life without parole. Walters had been found nude and badly decomposed, on the 29th of September, 1990, in the loft of an abandoned barn. She had been missing since the 3rd of February 1990, when she ran away from her home. An autopsy discovered she’d been strangled to death in early March. A photograph of Walters being tortured was found in Rhoades’ home.

Rhoades was extradited to Utah in 2005 to face charges in the deaths of Candace Walsh and Douglas Zyskowski. However, the charges were dropped at the request of the victims’ families in 2006, as they didn’t want to testify more than once (for both states) and he was sent back to prison

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back