IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually was 44 years and 364 days, but the timing is astonishing considering everyone I've talked to who knew them both, and it's several people, said he was especially fond of her and vice versa.

He wouldn't know, I believe, had it been solved last year given his reported condition, which sort of makes the timing of this even more interesting. Anywho, this has got me working the weekend.

Regarding similar cases, this slaying actually reminds me more of the Dr. Sam Sheppard murder case than any other. The major difference is that, in the Percy case I'm almost certain that there really was an intruder.

Indeed, and it's rather astonishing that hasn't been pointed out more often considering the TV version of the Fugitive was still on when it happened and was very well known. I'm certain none of the Percys were involved. Yet more documented evidence surfaced this year that CP called CPD no more than 20 minutes after the murder. Perhaps the best detective out of the city at the time is convinced the story is true, but as such he's convinced it was someone who knew her.

The guy dropped one of his gloves on the lawn, and pitched his weapon in the lake. I understand, as he fled the home under the wail of the Percy's ear piercing burglar alarm's siren, he knew cops would be on the way soon and he didn't want to be seen with the weapon or picked up with it but it was still pitch dark out. There's no telling for sure but his dropping this and pitching that indicates to me he was not a pro burglar or experienced rapist but some guy who killed her out of jealousy, and was in pure panic mode.

He has the answers now that he never received while on earth.
May Mr. Percy rest in peace.

Indeed, and it's rather astonishing that hasn't been pointed out more often considering the TV version of the Fugitive was still on when it happened and was very well known. I'm certain none of the Percys were involved. Yet more documented evidence surfaced this year that CP called CPD no more than 20 minutes after the murder. Perhaps the best detective out of the city at the time is convinced the story is true, but as such he's convinced it was someone who knew her.

The guy dropped one of his gloves on the lawn, and pitched his weapon in the lake. I understand, as he fled the home under the wail of the Percy's ear piercing burglar alarm's siren, he knew cops would be on the way soon and he didn't want to be seen with the weapon or picked up with it but it was still pitch dark out. There's no telling for sure but his dropping this and pitching that indicates to me he was not a pro burglar or experienced rapist but some guy who killed her out of jealousy, and was in pure panic mode.

BBM, forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered within the thread. Has the glove ever been tested for DNA and is it known if the perps dna was found on the glove?

tia

There's no telling for sure but his dropping this and pitching that indicates to me he was not a pro burglar or experienced rapist but some guy who killed her out of jealousy, and was in pure panic mode.

Yes, I see no evidence that the attacker had any other mission but to kill her.

That leaves us then with the question of motive. One that can be eliminated, I think, is financial gain. No one stood to profit in any substantial way from Valerie's death.

Probably number one would be revenge by some jilted or rejected person who had a romantic interest in her.

For number two, I'd say maybe she knew something that another wanted to keep quiet.

By the way, I got up this morning just before five. I wanted to see how dark it is at that time on this day in the area where the crime occurred. We did not have, however, overcast skies as we know were present over Kenilworth that morning because of Dr. Hohf's account. That said, it was really dark in the minutes while the killer was fleeing, and in the room that was only illuminated with the flashlight.

The only obit I saw that didn't mention the murder was in the Christian Science Monitor. I've been told the church does not have funerals. The obit referred to Percy as having "passed."

Note how they avoid "dead," or "dies" in the headline. Nothing against the religion, but one wonders, with people of a faith that does all but deny death, at the heart of a murder investigation, how that might affect an investigation:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...rles-Percy-of-Illinois-was-fervently-moderate

WTTW in Chicago is going to have a segment on Percy, including the murder, tonight. It may later be on their website.

The WTTW segment had footage of Mr. and Mrs. Percy testifying at the murder inquiry, and Bob Lamb from the State Police being interviewed in '69. It was re-run from 5 years ago, at the 40th.

Does anyone know when Charles Percy's widow Loraine was born? One source I have indicates that she is only about 82.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks