Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #11 *GUILTY*

I really wish we could get the transcript of that call. They have not posted it.
it's not gonna make any difference
i wish we could get a map of the street as it was at the time she was abducted. a street scene type map.. but wishing for that for 2 years to no avail

Gazette ran the story of the notes which will probably go down in history...
Jury asked one final question before deciding Christensen's fate

The jurors were selected during a lengthy process in Peoria, where they were brought in one by one to the judge’s chambers and questioned about their views on the death penalty.

To qualify to serve, they had to be open both to a life sentence and a death sentence.

While they all ended up agreeing that seven of the prosecution’s eight aggravating factors existed, they did not unanimously agree that Christensen “is likely to commit criminal acts of violence in the future,” according to the completed verdict form.

I actually just saw a thing on cbs news that is exactly whats happening. What with a 2 year clown trial. Many foreign families are leary now

It dipped a bit after the kidnapping, but rebounded the following year.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it does dip some again. Not so much because of danger, but because of the perceived insult of not sentencing him to death, especially in light of the fact that he refuses to divulge her remains.

Most Chinese families would want exactly what the Zhangs wanted: death and a body to return. They got neither (although the jury is still out -pun not intended, but noticed and is appropriate- on the last one). That will be perceived as a huge insult; it will be perceived as the jury thinking that BC forfeiting his life is too high a price to pay for YY’s death and her family’s suffering. It won’t much be liked, either, that BC got “credit” via sympathy at his own drug and alcohol use, and for his mom being a damn drunk while he was growing up. I hope people will continually point out to them that the vote was 10-2 in favor of death, and that 2 over-sympathetic saps don’t represent the majority opinion on matters like this.

+=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
It dipped a bit after the kidnapping, but rebounded the following year.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it does dip some again. Not so much because of danger, but because of the perceived insult of not sentencing him to death, especially in light of the fact that he refuses to divulge her remains.

Most Chinese families would want exactly what the Zhangs wanted: death and a body to return. They got neither (although the jury is still out -pun not intended, but noticed and is appropriate- on the last one). That will be perceived as a huge insult; it will be perceived as the jury thinking that BC forfeiting his life is too high a price to pay for YY’s death and her family’s suffering. It won’t much be liked, either, that BC got “credit” via sympathy at his own drug and alcohol use, and for his mom being a damn drunk while he was growing up. I hope people will continually point out to them that the vote was 10-2 in favor of death, and that 2 over-sympathetic saps don’t represent the majority opinion on matters like this.
Maybe they were not over-sympathetic...
Maybe the case was not laid out sufficiently clearly for them...
Look at the case that was presented
It was utter minimalism!
The prosecution just presented barely enough ... absolute minimal information and evidence. They padded it with lots of irrelevant low-budget, minimal-effort 'witnesses'.
They did not analyse forensically all the knives for chrissakes!
and that was after they heard him say he had decapitated YingYing.

They gambled and they lost and everybody lost.-+*

I remember @altojack made a post when the evidence started coming on-stream.
The question was somethng like 'Well what was he doing online for the past 10 years?
Exactly.

wE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO SINGLE NEW DETAIL UPON WHICH TO BEGIN A SEARCH!
We know nothing about his habits, his dark-web contacts, any of his contacts..

Not a single new thing.
All we're left with is a large number of 'IF's'
where did he put her body?
I have it in writing that the search is open and I posted it earlier.

WHERE IS SHE?

+=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
It was utter minimalism!
The prosecution just presented barely enough ... absolute minimal information and evidence. They padded it with lots of irrelevant low-budget, minimal-effort 'witnesses'.

The question was somethng like 'Well what was he doing online for the past 10 years?
Exactly.

Not a single new thing.

WHERE IS SHE?

All twelve found ALL of the aggravators were proved beyond a reasonable doubt by the government. So, the two sad-sack saps with enlarged hearts and soft-spots for a guy growing up with an alcoholic mother completely agreed that he killed her in a heinous, cruel and depraved manner, showed no remorse, obstructed justice by refusing to divulge the location of -or what was done with- her remains, and that there was significant victim impact and loss to her family, fiancee, and friends.

They just wanted to cut him a break because alcohol and drugs, and because he wouldn't be a threat to do this again. It's all there in the additional mitigating factors they "found." Those are key. If they took the time to include them, then you can be assured that they were integral in the decision of the two to let him live.

+=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
It was utter minimalism!

Exactly.

Not a single new thing.

WHERE IS SHE?

I might be wrong, but I believe that Melville testified that they treated the knife found in the utility room with luminol and it gave no reaction.

The putz may well have thought to get rid of the knife he used on her -and was just an idiot when it came to the baseball bat.......

Also -remember that just like tile and porcelain surfaces, metal surfaces will be much, much easier to clean completely than fabric and porous surfaces will.

I'm home after a trip away to see a sick friend. Wow there been loads going on here, well done to you volunteers. Sorry for the underuse of thanks button but I needed a rapid catch-up.

Kitty has come up with some brilliant starters for those able to take part in the future plans all being well. Well done kitty, you are a great people person, a superb motivator.

See you all later, the need for a nap is tremendous.

This verdict did not happen in a vacuum. I don’t see it as a failure on the part of the prosecution. First, we had no body, but they convicted him anyway. Second, the death penalty here in the US is going the way of the rest of the civilized world- out the door. While it’s still legal in some states and federally, and there are still many people who believe in it theoretically, juries are rejecting it more and more often anyway - even in Texas.

Why Jurors Are Rejecting the Death Penalty

And even if he had gotten the DP, odds are that it would not have resulted in his execution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tences-are-overturned-heres-why-that-matters/

This verdict did not happen in a vacuum. I don’t see it as a failure on the part of the prosecution. First, we had no body, but they convicted him anyway. Second, the death penalty here in the US is going the way of the rest of the civilized world- out the door. While it’s still legal in some states and federally, and there are still many people who believe in it theoretically, juries are rejecting it more and more often anyway - even in Texas.

Why Jurors Are Rejecting the Death Penalty

And even if he had gotten the DP, odds are that it would not have resulted in his execution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tences-are-overturned-heres-why-that-matters/
And if “muscle memory” is a thing for jurors as the first article suggests, we must remember that this case was tried in a state that abolished the death penalty, and so surely that had an effect. But from my research, it seems that even had this case been tried in Texas, there’s still a high likelihood the outcome would have been the same.

It is easy for us here, behind our keyboards, to bemoan this outcome and blame the prosecution and the jury as somehow weak, but we are dealing in the theoretical to a degree when we see ourselves as jurors who would have automatically imposed the DP. As I mentioned before in this thread, lots of people believe they would act a certain way on a jury but quite possibly would do the opposite that we believe we would once we are in the actual situation.

All twelve found ALL of the aggravators were proved beyond a reasonable doubt by the government. So, the two sad-sack saps with enlarged hearts and soft-spots for a guy growing up with an alcoholic mother completely agreed that he killed her in a heinous, cruel and depraved manner, showed no remorse, obstructed justice by refusing to divulge the location of -or what was done with- her remains, and that there was significant victim impact and loss to her family, fiancee, and friends.

They just wanted to cut him a break because alcohol and drugs, and because he wouldn't be a threat to do this again. It's all there in the additional mitigating factors they "found." Those are key. If they took the time to include them, then you can be assured that they were integral in the decision of the two to let him live.
Did you not read it?
They didn't agree on future dangerousness.
That was all.
They could not see how he could be dangerous if in prison.
Gazette yesterday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back