Illegal/Underground Adoption Theories and leads

There is an interesting Facebook discussion about a Gladney adoptions. A poster googled six flags and adoption and this popped up (Six flags Arlington supports the Gladney Adoption center). Logan's aunt is going to call it into Logan.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=feed&story_fbid=306550777296&gid=251236072296

Anyways, the FAQ section is interesting wrt father's rights (snipped and BBM):
"Reader Questions and Answers
Q: The mother and father had already broken up before she knew she was pregnant. The father wants to raise the baby with shared custody, but the mother wants to give the baby up for adoption. Can the father stop the birth mom from giving the baby for adoption?
A: Each case is handled on an individual basis. If the birth mother is interested in adoption, she would need to call us so we can get more information to make a better assessment.

Q: If pregnant and considering adoption, does Gladney pay for doctors and delivery?
A: Gladney will reimburse for all medical costs after the adoption takes place.

Q: What do I do about school while I'm pregnant?
A: If you are in middle school or high school, you are able to continue your education while living in our dorm.

Q: Do I have to tell the dad before I give my baby up for adoption?
A: Gladney would need more information about your situation before an assessment can be made. Please feel free to call 1-800-GLADNEY (800.452.3639) and ask for an admissions counselor so we can learn more details about your specific situation.

Q: I have two other children and I am pregnant. Can I still live there?
A: Unfortunately, our residential program is not licensed for other children so it sounds like our community service program would be best for you. To get more information on our community service program and how you can move forward, please call 1-800-GLADNEY (800.452.3639) and ask for an admissions counselor.

Q: I want to put my baby up for adoption. Where do I start?
A: The first step in planning adoption is to fill out a background information packet. Call 1-800-GLADNEY (800.452.3639) and ask for the admission department and they will guide you through the process.

Q: Is it legal for someone to adopt a child, then place that child up for adoption?
A: Please contact an attorney in your area and make an inquiry with more information being provided. If you live in Texas, please call 1-800-GLADNEY (800.452.3639) and we would be happy to talk about your situation.

Q: Can you place your child up for adoption if your child is over 6 months?
A: Yes, we can help you plan adoption if your child has already been born. You'll need to call 1-800-GLADNEY (800.452.3639) and ask to speak with an admissions counselor so they can explain your first step in making an adoption plan."

Edit: Something else I read on their site, they are licensed to do home studies in :Gladney is licensed to complete home studies for families in Texas, Arizona, Kentucky, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. POssible TS connection?

http://adoptionsbygladney.com/html/pregnant/faq.php

LAST EDIT: I don't see much connection to San Antonio, but definitely the FAQs show they have some flexibility with father's rights.

One last question on the Father's FAQ: http://adoptionsbygladney.com/html/pregnant/faqFather.php

Q: I want to consider placing my baby for adoption but I don't think the father will let me. He will want the baby but I can't do that because he was abusive. What can I do?
A: We would need to know more information about your individual situation. An admissions counselor can better answer your question once we have more details about your specific situation. Please call 1-800-GLADNEY (800.452.3639) and ask to speak with the admissions department.

It looks like they have quite a few adoption agencies/people to check out IMO --

I am not seeing anything on this company much different than the other adoption agency sites I have checked out over the last month or so -- seems like they all have similar ways of operation

The company mentioned on Gabriel's facebook is long-established in Fort Worth, TX

Their inspections seem to have the average deficiencies compared to the other agencies in TX --from the poking around other agencies that I have done IMO

Here's the link I have posted before to where you can check on the inspections of adoption agencies in TX

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/Search_Texas_Child_Care/ppFacilitySearchAdoption.asp

It looks like they have quite a few adoption agencies/people to check out IMO --

I am not seeing anything on this company much different than the other adoption agency sites I have checked out over the last month or so -- seems like they all have similar ways of operation

The company mentioned on Gabriel's facebook is long-established in Fort Worth, TX

Their inspections seem to have the average deficiencies compared to the other agencies in TX --from the poking around other agencies that I have done IMO

Here's the link I have posted before to where you can check on the inspections of adoption agencies in TX

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/Search_Texas_Child_Care/ppFacilitySearchAdoption.asp

Totally agree. ANd, I didn't see much of a tie to San Antonio for this one. But, I think it's interesting that a fairly well established agency would publish on their website those FAQs regarding father's rights. I think JJ's experience in underground adoptions will help out a lot.

I wanted to understand more about this and so I've read up as much as possible on the Texas Family Law statutes. While I agree that if possible Logan should register, under Texas adoption law he would be entitled to a notice of proceeding (notification of the potential adoption) even if he is not registered as long as:

Paraphrasing: a father-child relationship had been established previously under TX Family law or another law or he has taken court action to claim his paternity before the TX court terminates his parental rights.

I've read more and this post would be very long if I tried to put all of this information here, but all of these statutes are available online. I do see how a father's parental rights could be terminated in TX, but I do not see how this could be a legal adoption in this timeframe. There are many adoption steps that have to happen.

I am unsure what you mean by "this timeframe" I am not sure that anyone has stated a legal adoption has already taken place ---
Assuming that whomever had Gabriel is going the legal way about this, we did have a discussion on thread #6 -- JM in TN knows the ins and outs of this father notification -- basically placing a few vague ads in random newspapers takes care of it -- There was one newer law in Florida that regulated the content of the ad to include mother's full description --lots of controversy over that one -- http://www.glennsacks.com/fathers_deserve_proper.htm

I think Momtective noted that a child needs to live with adoptive parents for six months? I am not sure anyway that there would be any need to rush to court?

My only thought about underground adoption is, if EJ went this route then why doesn't the organization anonymously provide a 'proof-of-life' photo of Gabriel? Rather than leave EJ in jail and even risk more severe charges - why not provide something that shows Gabriel is safe BUT does not reveal anything to trace back to them? Makes sense to me.

Some interesting posts from Thread Six, and more info on TX Putative Father Registery

Momtective’s list of questions on illegal adoption for the next TS lie detector test is worth bumping
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4667156&postcount=46"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - AZ-Gabriel Johnson, 8 months, missing since 12-26-09 thread #6[/ame]

Mum’s post on the adoption laws and father’s rights in Texas
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4667235&postcount=67"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - AZ-Gabriel Johnson, 8 months, missing since 12-26-09 thread #6[/ame]

and her brief summary of what this might mean to the Gabriel case
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4667241&postcount=69"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - AZ-Gabriel Johnson, 8 months, missing since 12-26-09 thread #6[/ame]

Momtective’s and Mum’s discussion of the TN link
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4667274&postcount=78"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - AZ-Gabriel Johnson, 8 months, missing since 12-26-09 thread #6[/ame]

How father’s can register on the Putative Father Registry in TX

“Paternity Registry” Statutes: Tex. Fam. Code Ann. sec. 160.251 et seq.Forms are available from hospitals, birthing centers, licensed child-placing agencies, county and district clerks, and the Bureau of Vital Statistics. (See following address)
Return the form to:
Bureau of Vital Statistics;
Texas Department of Health;
1100 West 49th,
Austin, TX, 78756
Tel: 1-888-963-7111 Ext 7782 or 512-458-7782

Here are links to all of the other states Putative Father Registries
http://adoption.about.com/cs/adoptionrights/a/putative_list.htm

http://www.babyselling.com/

The letter toward the bottom of the page from the attorney to the father is interesting

I am unsure what you mean by "this timeframe" I am not sure that anyone has stated a legal adoption has already taken place ---
Assuming that whomever had Gabriel is going the legal way about this, we did have a discussion on thread #6 -- JM in TN knows the ins and outs of this father notification -- basically placing a few vague ads in random newspapers takes care of it -- There was one newer law in Florida that regulated the content of the ad to include mother's full description --lots of controversy over that one -- http://www.glennsacks.com/fathers_deserve_proper.htm

I think Momtective noted that a child needs to live with adoptive parents for six months? I am not sure anyway that there would be any need to rush to court?

Thank you Prof for catching me on that. I was getting at the 6-month requirement. That a legal adoption could not take place unless the child lived with the adoptive parents for 6 months. There are some other prerequisites and such that would need to be met as well, but I agree with you that there wouldn't be a need to rush to court; indeed, if they were trying to have a legal adoption in the future they would need to wait to go to court.

If this was an illegal adoption...or baby selling....where is the money?

My only thought about underground adoption is, if EJ went this route then why doesn't the organization anonymously provide a 'proof-of-life' photo of Gabriel? Rather than leave EJ in jail and even risk more severe charges - why not provide something that shows Gabriel is safe BUT does not reveal anything to trace back to them? Makes sense to me.

Why? They send a picture or a letter, they lose their scapegoat. An underground group would most certainly not bring attention to themselves...especially when a picture like that would be seen as taunting and there would be huge public outcry to find him now. I highly doubt that any agency that operates like that would take that risk and change the focus now. They also may have altered Gabriels looks, making it impossible to send a picture without telling the public what to look for to find him, which they definitely wouldn't want.

If this was an illegal adoption...or baby selling....where is the money?

Maybe EJ was in south Florida with the intent to take one of those super cheap cruises or flights to the Caymans to claim a deposit in an offshore bank account there?

IIRC, the "international" hostel she was at required that guests have plans to travel to another country? I don't remember details, but maybe someone else does.

ETA: We have a well-respected, local couple with a well-known and successful business who have just been sentenced to serve time in prison for doing shady transactions through a Cayman bank in order to conceal income. It made me think of Gabriel and illegal adoption theory.

Why? They send a picture or a letter, they lose their scapegoat. An underground group would most certainly not bring attention to themselves...especially when a picture like that would be seen as taunting and there would be huge public outcry to find him now. I highly doubt that any agency that operates like that would take that risk and change the focus now. They also may have altered Gabriels looks, making it impossible to send a picture without telling the public what to look for to find him, which they definitely wouldn't want.

ITA. If Gabriel was adopted out through the "underground", all people involved are most likely patting themselves on the back right now and thinking how perfectly this has all worked out. They got their baby, and the mom is in jail and suspected of murdering him.
This "underground" group is NOT going to draw attention to themselves or do ANYTHING to cause LE or the public to believe this is really what happened to Gabriel. IMO

<snip>
http://www.babyselling.com/

The letter toward the bottom of the page from the attorney to the father is interesting

Well, that letter is frightening ... In Utah, the father only has 20 days to come forward? And, I think (without looking back) it said the father was notified that the mom was temporarily living in Utah? WTH?

I hope after Gabriel is found, more light will be shed on the rights of fathers in this country

The 'setup', regardless of who set it up, seems to be an underground adoption operation. Famous private investigator Jay J. Armes thought underground adoption was a possibility when he took on the Baby Gabriel case. Armes has saved 100+ children from underground adoption in Mexico. He thinks Baby Gabriel also was taken south of the border. In a phone interview on February 3, he told me that after debriefing McQueary in the morning, he spent the afternoon in Mexico. Based on some credible leads, he has since sent 'some agents' into Mexico, according to CBS5 interview on February 7.

About whoever might be hiding Baby Gabriel, Jay J. Armes said, "We'll find them. I have forty years experience and we have 175 years experience working on this." As he told me regarding Baby Gabriel, "I will find him.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2679297/baby_gabriel_johnson_mexico_underground.html?cat=9

I wonder how many states require unmarried fathers sign up on the registry soon after birth. That may also be a timeframe that allows them around the birth father. jmo

Maybe EJ was in south Florida with the intent to take one of those super cheap cruises or flights to the Caymans to claim a deposit in an offshore bank account there?

IIRC, the "international" hostel she was at required that guests have plans to travel to another country? I don't remember details, but maybe someone else does.

ETA: We have a well-respected, local couple with a well-known and successful business who have just been sentenced to serve time in prison for doing shady transactions through a Cayman bank in order to conceal income. It made me think of Gabriel and illegal adoption theory.

I think from your post, a good place for LM to inquire is that hostel EJ was staying when located in Florida. Maybe he can get some info from them about what her future plans were. I do recall they required proof of travel plans. I wonder if they stick to it?

JMHO
fran

I think from your post, a good place for LM to inquire is that hostel EJ was staying when located in Florida. Maybe he can get some info from them about what her future plans were. I do recall they required proof of travel plans. I wonder if they stick to it?

JMHO
fran

Great point, Fran. You should post that in the tips for the family thread.

I love how that blogger twists the quotes to make it sound like Jay talked to them. Lovely. AC isn't helping matters with the info their writers put out.

It does give me hope, though. The actual KPHO articles, not the blogger's representation of them. I'm glad the MX angle is being checked out in person.

Are you saying that site is not reputable? Please let me know because I like to only link to reputable sites. I was not aware it was a blog, otherwise I would not have posted it. TIA

Are you saying that site is not reputable? Please let me know because I like to only link to reputable sites. I was not aware it was a blog, otherwise I would not have posted it. TIA
Just so you know, I wasn't making fun of you, I was making fun of AC. They are a blog, not in the traditional sense, it's the blogging for cash type. They pay their writers (bloggers) by how many views they get, they don't have to be honest or accurate.
I think they intentionally named it Associated Content, so that people would think they were the Associated Press. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back