IN - 3 year old found locked in box, North Judson, 14 Dec 2016

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by LostOldUserName, Dec 21, 2016.

1. MzOpinion8d

MzOpinion8d Former Member

They're people who knew of the situation. They can still be charged with failure to report even if they're not mandated reporters.

It's a LOT different than being kept in a crib! It's a box with a lid and a lock! The child could have suffocated in there!

2. JeannaT

JeannaT Former Member

The official LE quote stated she was "located" in the box, not "locked". In the pic, there is no lock apparent.

I don't know what to think - LE arrived in the wee hours, when everyone was asleep and the child was located asleep in the box, and there are MANY MANY other people in this house. It does seem to me that she may have preferred to sleep in the wooden box, to have some privacy. One of my children preferred to sleep in a closet at that age.

I don't know if there will be any other coverage on this - and whether other abuses were uncovered (lack of food, injuries to the children, etc.). I am always open in cases like this to hearing more.

Interesting, for some reason the children apparently weren't given to the maternal grandfather, although he publicly asked to have them. Wonder why not.

3. JeannaT

JeannaT Former Member

Do you know that for a fact, or are you guessing that? (I mean that respectfully).

Edited to add: I researched it, and you're right - in the State of Indiana, every person is a mandatory reporter.

http://www.indianalegalservices.org/node/20/do-i-have-report-suspected-child-abuse

Unlike in Texas, where I am a mandatory reporter but most people aren't.

4. LostOldUserName

LostOldUserName Well-Known Member

That is common naming for country roads in Indiana

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. JeannaT

JeannaT Former Member

6. Vail

Vail Justice for Kara & Jessica

If she was going in it willingly, there are other things going on that still point to abuse or neglect. This made me think of a book I read years ago called Suffer the Child. She was also locked in a box often by her satanic mother and ended up with MPD.

7. JeannaT

JeannaT Former Member

I volunteer with kids in foster care, and her situation may be just filth and over crowding (not that that's a good thing) and not some horrific abuse. For the sheriff to call this "the worst case of child abuse he'd ever seen" seems . . . kind of shocking to me. I've been in numerous houses where I think "how can people stand to live like this", and this case seems to fall into that category to me. Looking around on social media you can find a long standing rift in the family, and a lot of people who seem to be living on the edge. I think there's a good chance this case will end up being a substandard level of care for children to grow up in, but I doubt it will turn out to be the "worst case of child abuse" the court there has seen.

8. Rayemonde

Rayemonde Well-Known Member

Jan 2018:

Warrant issued for suspect in Pulaski Co. child abuse case

March 2018:

Pulaski father charged with neglect pleads not guilty

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    bluesneakers likes this.
  9. Rayemonde

Rayemonde Well-Known Member

May 2018:

Four Accused of Failure to Report Child Abuse Have Charges Dismissed, Due to ‘Administrative Problem’

bluesneakers likes this.