Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #159

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which begs the obvious question, if the RA interview was misfiled and unavailable 6 years ago, how was it suddenly there when "police went back to the very beginning of the investigation"?

I think of the word “misfiled” and I see images of tall stacks of paper files overflowing filing cabinets, images from yesteryear. Looking for something that may’ve been misfiled became a matter of searching through a lot of file folders.

The FBI took over the Delphi tips using a data system referred to as “Pyramid”. It’s a data storage system, useful because of the mountainous volume of tips, reportedly 70,000 at last count is way too much paper to manually manage.

It’s said the tip from DNR was misfiled by an FBI civilian clerk. Various possibilities - the tip was input to a different case entirely and eventually another unit working on that file alerted the error. Or as action related codes might be utilized to identify the value of each tip, perhaps this one was recorded with something such as “unfounded” in error. Or possibly a different key word search finally located it, rather than a search through tips received in chronological order. The best comparison I can think of is how google searches will sometimes yield different possibilities depending on what key word search is entered.

Regardless the misfiling could’ve occurred in countless ways and I doubt the exact details will ever be shared, without being accompanied by an explanation of the inner-workings of Pyramid which would bore most people to tears. Short story - Inaccurate input of data poses a far greater challenge than misfiled paper, but it can happen.

JMO

Last edited:
I need help indentifying the innsiginia on this hat RA was seen wearing in several photos.
"Heritage Highway / Route 66 / Arizona"
It's a souvenir cap from a truckstop or something--every year there's a "Route 66" event with people driving it, IIRC. It's a big deal in some circles--old muscle-car fans, I think. There can't be many of us old enough to remember Kookie's comb and the old TV show. :)

It’s harrowing to think of how much evidence has been lost because of a simple filing mistake
JMO.

Thousands of people have died due to medical transcription errors, which is why there’s a robust market for digital assets that catch and correct (or flag to correct) errors ranging from medication types and dosages to surgery procedures.

The FBI has best-in-class digital forensics teams and database management systems. We don’t have real details yet, but — if this was indeed a clerical error — I have confidence they will incorporate lessons learned from this.

I’m an optimist at heart or WS cases would be too much for me to follow. The silver lining here is that DESPITE THE ERROR, the evidence — the 2017 RA narrative — was maintained and eventually “re-discovered.”

They fumbled, but they recovered.

The recovery will also be incorporated as a lesson learned for future efforts.

JMO.

JMO.

Thousands of people have died due to medical transcription errors, which is why there’s a robust market for digital assets that catch and correct (or flag to correct) errors ranging from medication types and dosages to surgery procedures.

The FBI has best-in-class digital forensics teams and database management systems. We don’t have real details yet, but — if this was indeed a clerical error — I have confidence they will incorporate lessons learned from this.

I’m an optimist at heart or WS cases would be too much for me to follow. The silver lining here is that DESPITE THE ERROR, the evidence — the 2017 RA narrative — was maintained and eventually “re-discovered.”

They fumbled, but they recovered.

The recovery will also be incorporated as a lesson learned for future efforts.

JMO.
It's amazing to me in NFL a fumble recovery is a huge deal for a million dollar player with entertainment value.

But a cop that isn't paid near their worth? Let's just pound them into the ground from our sofas.

JMO

"A civilian FBI employee mislabeled or misfiled tip information in the system, which means it didn’t show up in the correct location during a data search. As the case stalled, police went back to the very beginning of the investigation. That’s when they discovered the interview with Allen that prompted them to take a closer look."
Such a shame that an error led to this defendant escaping questioning and judgment for so long. God knows what he could have been doing in the interim.

I wonder what happened after they found this mislabeled info? What were the steps that enabled them to get access to his guns? To determine the unspent round had cycled through his gun? They re-interviewed him, right?

Did they match his voice to the recording? Did they match his DNA at all?

It’s a shame because people’s memories were so much fresher then.

I just wanted to clarify - when I noted the kids did not fight, and I asked why not - I was NOT implying that they should have! I was not placing ANY blame on them AT ALL!

Context is everything, and I should have mentioned (again) that the RL warrant stated there were no signs of a fight on the girls. I was only wondering with that in mind, if perhaps he drugged them. Of course if they were controlled via a gun or otherwise scared stiff, I totally understand that! I cannot imagine the terror they felt, nor how I'd have reacted as an adult faced with the same circumstances.

I wonder too if we're yet to find out that actually, there were signs of a struggle of some sort. Maybe when they wrote no signs of a struggle they meant no visible bruises or scratches on the kids?

I think of the word “misfiled” and I see images of tall stacks of paper files overflowing filing cabinets, images from yesteryear. Looking for something that may’ve been misfiled became a matter of searching through a lot of file folders.

The FBI took over the Delphi tips using a data system referred to as “Pyramid”. It’s a data storage system, useful because of the mountainous volume of tips, reportedly 70,000 at last count is way too much paper to manually manage.

It’s said the tip from DNR was misfiled by an FBI civilian clerk. Various possibilities - the tip was input to a different case entirely and eventually another unit working on that file alerted the error. Or as action related codes might be utilized to identify the value of each tip, perhaps this one was recorded with something such as “unfounded” in error. Or possibly a different key word search finally located it, rather than a search through tips received in chronological order. The best comparison I can think of is how google searches will sometimes yield different possibilities depending on what key word search is entered.

Regardless the misfiling could’ve occurred in countless ways and I doubt the exact details will ever be shared, without being accompanied by an explanation of the inner-workings of Pyramid which would bore most people to tears. Short story - Inaccurate input of data poses a far greater challenge than misfiled paper, but it can happen.

JMO
What’s weird is why wouldn’t the law enforcement who interviewed him ask about him later? Wouldn’t they have thought- over the months and even years- “Wow. That guy was there during the time of the crime. He matches the description. Has he been eliminated?” And maybe follow up? “What about this guy I interviewed.”

I don’t know how the process works.

Robert Ives said he thought this case could have been solved decades ago with the evidence they had at the scene - I wonder if he was talking about the bullet? I wonder if that is *all* that could have been matched decades ago?

I just wanted to clarify - when I noted the kids did not fight, and I asked why not - I was NOT implying that they should have! I was not placing ANY blame on them AT ALL!

Context is everything, and I should have mentioned (again) that the RL warrant stated there were no signs of a fight on the girls. I was only wondering with that in mind, if perhaps he drugged them. Of course if they were controlled via a gun or otherwise scared stiff, I totally understand that! I cannot imagine the terror they felt, nor how I'd have reacted as an adult faced with the same circumstances.

I wonder too if we're yet to find out that actually, there were signs of a struggle of some sort. Maybe when they wrote no signs of a struggle they meant no visible bruises or scratches on the kids?

He apparently had a gun. And they were pretty well-behaved kids facing an adult. I think that’s our answer.

What’s weird is why wouldn’t the law enforcement who interviewed him ask about him later? Wouldn’t they have thought- over the months and even years- “Wow. That guy was there during the time of the crime. He matches the description. Has he been eliminated?” And maybe follow up? “What about this guy I interviewed.”

I don’t know how the process works.
I've wondered that, too. But I bet the officer who took the statement from RA in 2017 didn't even remember it.

I have a good memory, especially details. But I've found that is not common. I have been discussing cases with co-workers/superiors and they barely remember the person much less anything about them or their case. Even here people keep asking the same questions over and over. I think people being able to remember details is not common at all.

Wait, what? He's on audio and video kidnapping the girls at gunpoint?
At a minimum, he's on video approaching the kids on the bridge and there is an audio included wherein he says, "guys, down the hill". That video / audio is apparently 43 seconds in length and I'd wager we've seen / heard about 3 seconds or so of it. MOOOO

I've wondered that, too. But I bet the officer who took the statement from RA in 2017 didn't even remember it.

I have a good memory, especially details. But I've found that is not common. I have been discussing cases with co-workers/superiors and they barely remember the person much less anything about them or their case. Even here people keep asking the same questions over and over. I think people being able to remember details is not common at all.
I guess I would think that memory would be sharper in a case of this magnitude. It is such a horrible and rare case in a place like that. It seems it would be on everyone’s minds a lot.

Something that troubles me quite a bit is how come RA never came forward in the 5+ years his tip was ignored ...

Surely he would have told his story to quite a few people?

He was there on minutes apart from a famous murder!? He must have only just missed seeing Bridge Guy?

I’ve missed a lot. Who is RA [EDITED TO ADD-I’m an idiot] and what was the tip?

Last edited:
Apologize if this has already been stated in the last 18 pages which I'm trying to catch up on but...

I looked up last the night the stock market activity for February 13, 2017
Dow Jones Close 2/13/17 Stock Market Closing Prices
Apparently the Dow Jones/markets set an all-time high that day (though way surpassed since). Common knowledge that people check their portfolios on days when market is up way more often than when market is down. He may not have owned individual stocks but he/wife could have maintained a market-indexed Union pension plan account or similar. Aside from owning a middle-class house outright, and owning a gun(s) that wasn't cheap, could be clues that perhaps the family asset wealth was fairly high if they also had some Investments. All that to say there would be some validity that he was interested in the stock ticker that day if all-time highs were reached and their account values were increasing to unbeforeseen balances - and that years later he would remember doing that on that day while walking between bridges. (No way he was looking at his phone while in the midst of crossing the dilapidated High Bridge, but on the way there, maybe so.)

Offset of course by the premise that if you were on your way to commit a double-murder which could result in the death penalty, what would it really matter if your investment balance was increasing but you couldn't use the $$ for anything?
Viewing stocks is a pastime. Especially if you are checking a 401k etc. Not going to move anything, just enjoy the climb in value. And who knows if it’s true. He could have been viewing anything.

i still have a question about how this went down, but i'm having trouble explaining it and i'm hoping a picture might be worth a thousand words. Can anyone answer this or is it still unknown?(note: i don't know the exact body location point on my map is the general area so don't flip out on me lol)

delphi map.JPG

JMO
Didn’t happen. Not is this case. The Conservation officer is sworn poloce not a civilian calling in a tip
line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member