IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #103

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tricia, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

This is such a mishmash (the bolded part)...did LE actually say that? Why not just say a white male under 50 at this rate...

2. cluciano63

My phone is a Tracfone...it only makes calls and sends texts. Does this mean I have a “burner” phone lol

3. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

SABBMFF:

Interviewer: The sketch, and to be clear, and you did clarify this after, in case folks didn't hear it, you don't want them to look at both sketches anymore. You only want them to look at the newly-released sketch, correct?

DC: That's correct, but remember, the sketch is not a photograph. It's something similar to a resemblance. And the likelihood of this being something between the two, is probably pretty strong. But again, that's a subjective opinion, based on what I believe.

Okay.

LE does not want the public to look at both sketches any more.
    Focus on Sketch #2.

Got it.

But DC thinks there's a pretty strong likelihood that BG's appearance is something "between the two."

Got it.

Wait.
    Hold up.

Between the 2 whats, exactly?

Is he talking about the 2 Sketches?

Because, if so, why would LE tell the public to disregard Sketch #1 and to focus solely on Sketch #2, if there's a strong likelihood that BG's actual appearance is some kind of amalgamation of 1 and 2 combined?

I really wish the interviewer had clarified what DC meant by "this being something between the two."

JMO.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. Miya

Miya Well-Known Member

They could have phone evidence but just phone evidence is not enough. But it would mean they probably know who he is but need more evidence. MOO.

5. bradfordsleuth

bradfordsleuth Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100% and made a similar comment a few days ago.

I believe that the person transcribing (thank you very much for all of your efforts, @crhedBngr ) inserted the word 'sketches' in brackets as part of his/her interpretation.

Snipped and bolded by me. My quoting is acting up....

"Interviewer: The sketch, and to be clear, and you did clarify this after, in case folks didn't hear it, you don't want them to look at both
    sketches anymore. You only want them to look at the newly-release sketch, correct?

DC: That's correct, but remember, the sketch is not a photograph. It's something similar to a resemblance. And the likelihood of this being
    something between the two (sketches), is probably pretty strong.
    But again, that's a subjective opinion, based on what I believe."

JMO

8paws, alj65, Mo Thuairim and 10 others like this.
  6. BlueShoe

BlueShoe Well-Known Member

I agree that the bolded part sounds odd. If exact words, why is "(sketches)" in parentheses. This was not a written statement was it? If he actually said it, "sketches" would not be in parentheses. MOO

7. bradfordsleuth

I don't think he said the word sketches. JMO

8. cluciano63

I doubt they could have obtained a warrant for phone if they did not evidence against a specific person.

I am at a loss as to how anyone can think they know who the killer is, based on what has been said by LE. They sound more confused than I am. And my confidence level that the newly shown sketch is a better representation is zero. Jmo

9. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

Same here. I technically have a burner phone. I have a Go Phone and only put money on it when I travel. The rest of the time I live without a phone.

Burner phones are simply pay as you go. They are contractless. They're not secret government entities that can only be purchased on the Silk Road. Not sure why it's unbelievable that BG would have one. The majority of people who have them are not killers. You buy them because you don't want to be tied to a contract month after month, because you don't want an expensive cell phone bills, because you don't want someone to run a credit check on you (each time someone outside of yourself does it, your score drops)...You can pick them up at any Walmart, Dollar General, or Rite Aid (along with a plethora of other stores).

8paws, Jaclin, MeadowMuffin and 13 others like this.
  10. SilentRogue

SilentRogue On Time Out

This speaks to the larger issue of probable cause - which is necessary to foe the cops to get a warrant for any PII, including account information.

The police couldn't get John Snow's name and information simply because he pinged off a cellphone tower along a highway between 12-5 PM on 13 February, 2017.

Unless they had reason to believe (and could provide some evidence) John Snow could be their murderer.

If they could, then why not get a warrant for every Male in Delphi, Indiana's DNA.

11. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

12. mtnlites

I'm really confused now. I'm seeing all these quotes about how Carter said the truth is somewhere between the two sketches, but that's not the way I understood it at all. I understood it as being somewhere between the NewBG sketch and the picture/video Libby took of BG on the bridge.

8paws, BlueShoe, Mo Thuairim and 12 others like this.
  13. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

We seem to be split about half and half on how we understand it. I linked it again, so everyone can decide for themselves.

ETA: As noted earlier, I believe he was referring to the two sketches.

14. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yes, at least that's the way I have always read quotes. The word in parenthesis is not part of the direct quote, but implies what is assumed. It may have been assumed by whoever wrote the article. Imo

8paws, BlueShoe, Mo Thuairim and 7 others like this.
  15. MsBetsy

Yes, I think that is what he meant, too. Imo

8paws, BlueShoe, Mo Thuairim and 5 others like this.
  16. bradfordsleuth

It's very interesting how we all interpret what we hear and read in so many different ways.

The following is just my interpretation and JMO.

It is my understanding, that the original sketch was compiled from several different witnesses who saw that person on or near the trail on February 13th, and was finalized back in July 2017 when a final witness came forward to contribute to the sketch.

The second sketch was done a few days after the murders and I believe that there was only one contributor to that sketch.

This is the sketch that LE wants us to focus on. Sketch #2.
    Disregard sketch #1.

I do not believe that LE wants us to try to figure out who this is by trying to combine the two sketches together with a subjective result to come up with the right person.

JMO

17. mtnlites

I just re-listened. The interviewer said, "The sketch, and to be clear you did clarify this after for folks who didn't hear it, you don't want them to look at both sketches anymore? You only want the newly released sketch, correct?"

To which Carter replies, "Correct. But remember, a sketch is not a photograph. It's something similar to a resemblance. And the likelihood of this being something that, uh, between the two is probably pretty strong. But again, that's a subjective opinion based upon what I believe."

So I can understand why it's subjective. In the same sentence Carter is both agreeing that he doesn't want people to look at the first sketch while also saying that it could be a combination of both. However, Carter does NOT use the word "sketch". He just says "between the two" without specifying what two things he's talking about. Within the context of that exchange it does sound like he could mean both sketches. However, since they'd just finished showing the video clip, he could also mean that.

IMO he's not referring to both sketches since the last question is the interviewer asking if people should disregard the first sketch and Carter answers in the affirmative. This would also back up similar things that's been stated in the past 2-3 weeks.

8paws, BlueShoe, Mo Thuairim and 11 others like this.
  18. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

Agreed. Listened to the video...DC said, "between the two" without identifying what two things he was talking about.

DC may have meant between the 2 sketches, or he may may have meant something else entirely.

The interviewer really should have done some f/u questioning to have DC clarify what he meant by that statement.

JMO.

Wells, Sunny123, Mo Thuairim and 8 others like this.
  19. MsBetsy

He is talking about the sketches, but he also mentions how pictures and sketches differ. He says, "but remember, a sketch is not a photograph, it's something similar to a resemblance, and the likelyhood of it being somewhere between the two is probably pretty strong." I believe he was saying that the guy looks somewhere in between the picture of him and the sketch, since he made it clear that the old sketch no longer applies. Imo

20. PaulaDC

PaulaDC Well-Known Member

We put him in Gedmatch too. Same results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.