IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #103

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tricia, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCJD

CCJD Well-Known Member

This is actually about Androids but Mr Hickman is working to crack the code on iPhones.

"But apparently Snapchat doesn't actually delete the photos. It just buries them deep inside a device.* A digital forensics examiner named Richard Hickman has found a way to resurface the private pictures on Androids. The finding is similar to a flaw Buzzfeed uncovered in December."
    BBM

Actually, Snapchat Doesn't Delete Your Private Pictures And Someone Found A Way To Resurface Them

Wells, ShHolmz, 8paws and 11 others like this.

2. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

They had absolutely no way of knowing that “it was looking like a bad situation.”

They had two missing girls in the woods, and the last thing on their mind would be that they had been murdered.

Even in a high crime area the homicide scenario would be unlikely.

Them calling off the search is completely standard, and the news coverage of that night paints the picture as to why.

That’s not an easy area to navigate.

Let’s say they somehow knew this was a homicide. The killer would have been long gone.

Murderers don’t hang around in the woods with their victims for several hours, especially when a search is underway.

I take their decision at face value.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    ShHolmz, Angelcat13, 8paws and 14 others like this.
  3. Jaclin

Jaclin Well-Known Member

yes, do we know the legality of using familial dna to track down a suspect in Indiana? Because that might be why they are able to have DNA but aren't able to find a match. They obviously don't want to go down the GEDMatch route and then find all their evidence stemming from those discoveries tossed out.

4. MassGuy

It is currently legal in all states.

Some states prohibit using criminal databases to analyze familial DNA matches, but the GEDMatch angle is fine.

Wells, ShHolmz, 8paws and 4 others like this.
  5. tresir2012

tresir2012 Oh! What a tangled web we weave....

Interesting, so it looked like it was at 3/4 (from my memory) time gone, and the time on the left said 7 hours so does that presumably mean 7 hours already gone so about an hour was left?

SeattleStew and DancingMuse like this.
  6. Ursamajr

Ursamajr haunter of the woods

"7h ago" means that Libby took the picture or posted the picture 7 hours ago from when the viewer opens the snap. If the friend had opened Libby's snap an hour later you would be seeing "8h ago".

ETA: I'm not sure what you mean by hours left. The timer can be set from 1 second to 10 seconds.

7. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Yes. My opinion only.
    Here is one protocol outlined. Our city has hiking trails and occasionally hikers are lost. The search once initiated doesn't stop until found or called off. The sheriff department of course may have their own modified protocol.

Inside the Art of Backcountry Search and Rescue

8. Cutiekitty

Cutiekitty Well-Known Member

It was posted seven hours prior to the recipient looking at it. It’s all info you see when you use Snapchat.

9. MassGuy

Yeah, I’ve seen both.

I’ve seen searches that go through the night, and ones that are called off at sunset.

I imagine that it comes down to the terrain, the weather, the age of those missing, the circumstances of their disappearance, and the standard protocol of the organization conducting the search.

With these circumstances, I completely understand why they called it off.

It wouldn’t have changed much anyways, as they were long since dead.

10. BigTexas

BigTexas Well-Known Member

When choosing to give a solid tip, the first reason is because it is the right and moral thing to do. There are $econdary rea$on$. If anyone reading this is debating in giving a solid tip, I urge you to do the right thing.

Wells, Tripod, FromGermany and 4 others like this.
  11. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

Isn't that a loading circle?

SeattleStew and DancingMuse like this.
  12. tresir2012

tresir2012 Oh! What a tangled web we weave....

Oh so the pic is only on the screen for so many seconds? IIRC the timer was at the 9 p.m. position ( if it was a clock ) so 6pm would be 5 seconds (halfway round) and 9 p.m. would be about 7 seconds I guess. Can it be viewed several times and/or saved? I just wondered how the person was able to show a reporter the SC photo if it can only be viewed the once for a certain number of seconds, that's all.

edit. I am talking about the circular icon in the top right of Libby's SC pic of Abbey, that the OP is also discussing, that looks a bit like a stopwatch that has gone 3/4 of a minute around the clockface.

DancingMuse and Cutiekitty like this.
  13. Cutiekitty

I wonder if they do have a match, but the person can justify or explain the presence of their DNA at the crime scene - someone known to the girls, family friend who can by recently, a searcher, someone involved with securing the scene, etc... This could explain the length of the investigation, confidence LE has that the community is safe even though we now know LE suspects someone with close ties to Delphi, the info being released about the car, and some of the weirder statements in the PC.

I am, of course, assuming that the DNA profile isn’t from semen.

Not accusing anyone at all JMO

Wells, alj65 and DancingMuse like this.
  14. Ursamajr

Ursamajr haunter of the woods

It is a timer icon. Not a loading circle.

Alisajo, Me123, SeattleStew and 2 others like this.
  15. nwmouse

nwmouse Verified cheese addict.

Add to that the speculation that the killer had a baby goat or dog under his jacket, was wearing a respirator or mask of some kind, and might have had a congenital defect due to his prominent chin.

He should have stood out quite spectacularly...

Time for me to go to Specsavers, because for the life of me I can't see any of these things, just a blurry image of an average Joe wearing lumberjack boots, a hat, jeans and a jacket. o_O

moo

Bluepopsicle, wary, JDough and 13 others like this.
  16. kc1023

kc1023 Well-Known Member

Well I'm a few pages behind but to me BG shoes look like black boots, higher than a shoe but more like a "booty" just come up to the ankle, squared off in the front, probably a zipper on the side, look kind of 70s ish style

Actually I found a pic of what I am trying to describe

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/af...0d_5699133330/Tom-Ford-black-boots-perfil.jpg

Attached Files:

Moonracer, Boxer and DancingMuse like this.
  17. Cutiekitty

You can screen shot it and save it.

Edit: It was on her story so anyone she added would’ve been able to see it.

ShHolmz, 8paws, kate2931 and 2 others like this.
  18. wary

wary Well-Known Member

Matter of principle. Afraid LE will frame you. Afraid your insurance company will get hold of it and start charging you more because you have a genetic susceptibility to something. Afraid they’ll take your DNA and use it to clone more of you. Afraid they’ll take your DNA, patent it, and charge you to use it.

Note that some of these reasons are more valid than others.

19. nwmouse

nwmouse Verified cheese addict.

I get what you're saying but could you clarify?

- How is it a matter of principle not to give DNA when two young girls were murdered and LE is trying to find the killer?
    Anyone with principles and morals would do their best to help LE.

-Why in the world would LE try to frame someone innocent?

-Why would an insurance company get hold of DNA and charge higher premiums? Surely LE would keep that info strictly private and insurance companies would not be allowed access? LE would be comparing DNA to the DNA found on the girls. I don't think they'd be testing for Lou Gehrig's ALS.

moo and EBM for spelling.

alj65, kate2931, JaneEyre and 3 others like this.
  20. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

I don't see a beer belly or a definitive age when I look at it. I see someone wearing a baggie jacket, loose fit jeans, hat obstructing his hair, a possible fanny pack around his waist, possible knife sheath on his left side hip, hands not visable, chin tucked down. All in all, kind of hard to distinguish features let along age. AJMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.