IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #103

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tricia, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miya

Miya Well-Known Member

This is more of a question than a comment, or maybe both and if somebody knows how all this actually works, I'd be happy about an explanation.

This, of course, only works if they know the phone number. Or at least the phone's IMEI number (which stays the same even with a different SIM card, it's unique for every cell phone, like the DNA of the cell phone, if I understand correctly).

What about WiFi? Not saying that there is WiFi in the park, but probably in other places and people also have it at home (I don't, so that's why I don't really know how this works). But if you know what phone or phone number you are looking for and someone is moving with the phone, the phone will also log in and out and back in again at different WiFi's along the way. Which basically shows exactly where the phone is (or was). Just thinking that this might have been another way that they could have checked cell phones that were in or near the area at around the time of the crime, before and after. Or even the next day.

Plus, police can send silent SMS and track a phone that way (but again, you need to know which phone/number you are looking for, that is more something that they could have used to track Libby's phone, but I guess they just found it near her somewhere - but they could have tracked it with this if the monster would have taken her phone with him).

All MOO and as I understand it.

2. Backstroke10

Backstroke10 Well-Known Member

I think people are just speculating that BG could be some form of LE or tied to state/federal work, etc. No connection just speculating.

IQuestion, MsBetsy, TL4S and 4 others like this.
  3. SilentRogue

SilentRogue On Time Out

A judge would not issue a warrant to the cell tower owner(s) for the entirety of their user information. A particular person? Sure. Everyone? No.

4. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

The population of Delphi is only about 3000. So it would be unlikely it requires a high volume and close placement of cell towers as would, say a urban environment consisting of not only homes and businesses but high density multi family housing including highrise apartment buildings and condos concentrated in a much smaller area.

Early on these threads a poster here located cell tower coverage for Delphi and iirc it was served by only two towers. That would suggest at best, cell tower data would pinpoint cellphone locations to be within the town and immediate surrounding areas including the trail. At the time iirc this was also the possible explanation for Libby’s grandfather’s comment regarding her cellphone “pinging around town”.

5. Backstroke10

Yes and city owned vehicles may be much harder to track because I think most city owned vehicles are used by multiple people and not assigned to a specific person. MOO

DancingMuse and Rocky1 like this.
  6. HockeyMom330

HockeyMom330 Well-Known Member

Snipped by me for brevity.

Thank you to those posters who have taken the time to transcribe. Every time I re-read the interviews I key in on differnt information.

In the above I was very disappointed in the interviewer. He tacked too many very important questions together which made DC get off track in answering. DC did answer the first question, confirming that he believes its likely that LE has questioned BG but he never responded to the second question regarding how it did not lead to an arrest. I would have loved to have heard that answer and to understand how, if BG was on their radar at the beginning, the sketch got shelved and they went in a different direction.

Wells, IQuestion, 8paws and 12 others like this.
  7. Backstroke10

Exactly and every truck/car on that highway would be pinging off the towers. MOO

8. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

Even if a Judge did, then what? LE contacts every person, questioning them on why they or their cellphone was in Delphi on the afternoon of Feb 13, 2017? Although we’d all like this case to be solved, I think that’d be an incredibly futile task.

Besides, just because a cellphone was in Delphi doesn’t prove the account holder was.

9. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

Very likely, they don’t have him in CODIS. They need a match of his DNA with the DNA they have. If they suspect someone, they can rule the person in, or out.

For old unsolved killers, they use CODIS or GEDMATCH.

Paula, you probably did testing in a commercial system, and that is all. Your husband’s relatives either did not get tested, or could have tested in another system. I downloaded our DNA results from the commercial systems to Gedmatch, to Geni, to MyHeritage, transferred DNA from a relative to FTDNA, and with time, closer relatives did appear. Also, there is a system, DNA.land, Columbia University asks to download DNAs there as they are studying genetics of breast cancer. Asians tested in one of our commercial systems can transfer the results to WeGene. It is not hopeless.
    Commercial testing companies say that for West Europeans, especially of British origin, they can tell what county the ancestors were from.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  10. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Well-Known Member

Yes, but:

Phones in cars traveling the roads: Pinging and moving on, pinging and moving on, pinging and moving on.

VS

Phone in car (or on the ground, or on a person not moving): Pinging and not moving, pinging and not moving, pinging and not moving.

You get the picture.

IQuestion, x_files, alj65 and 9 others like this.
  11. Charlot123

True. And maybe her boyfriend took the phone. But the story about the cellphone could be of interest.

12. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

The “pinging around town” can be caused from the cell towers “load balancing” and not due to the geographic location of the phone.
    Some apps, if you opt in, will geo-locate you, and indicate where you are at the time of an interaction with the app.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Wells, wary, IQuestion and 11 others like this.
  13. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

BBM
    DC: That's correct, but remember, the sketch is not a photograph. It's something similar to a resemblance. And the likelihood of this being
    something between the two (sketches), is probably pretty strong. But again, that's a subjective opinion, based on what I believe.

Interesting....

14. Charlot123

Can they tell that at a certain moment, someone’s phone was close to Libby’s one?

IQuestion, x_files, CarolynV and 9 others like this.
  15. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

If they know who the Perp is, if they get a warrant to look at their phone data, and especially if they have “find my phone” or something similar activated. So, yes, but it’s complicated. Lots of ducks to line up on that.

Amateur opinion and speculation

16. Miya

Miya Well-Known Member

I had to google the details now because what made me think about what I posted in my post above was the case "Mirco" in Germany, a 10 year old boy who was killed in 2010. I can't find any links in English, but a witness saw a certain type of car near the crime scene. And then they looked through 240,000 cell phone data protocols and after 133 days found one phone that moved in the same way that they thought the perp would have moved with his car. And it fit with the car that the witness saw. And that's how they caught him.

I think I remembered that case now because there was a car involved as well that the police knew about.

Fall Mirco: Handy-Daten führten laut Chefermittler zum Mörder - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Panorama

(link in German)

Wells, MrsM, IQuestion and 18 others like this.
  17. MDATCA

MDATCA Well-Known Member

Skibaboo's map shows 6

Abigail Williams & Liberty German. Delphi, IN. 2/13/17 - Google My Maps

IQuestion, bluenoser, Rocky1 and 3 others like this.
  18. Mind your biscuits

Mind your biscuits Well-Known Member

I went back to the media thread to look for something yesterday. (Didn't find it yet).

I read the first six pages, and interestingly LE stated that they had many people who lied to them in the beginning. Probably for reasons related to drugs, cheaters, warrants etc.

Maybe BG was one of them, and copped to a trivial lie for whatever reason and LE bought it and just moved on.

I imagine many of Delphi's secrets came to light in 2017. I wonder if the divorce rate went up? Lol moo.

Wells, IQuestion, 8paws and 20 others like this.
  19. Charlot123

1) only Libby’s phone was found. Abby did not have a phone with her.

2) no one can be sure unless an arrest is made and there is a trial. If this person was a witness, you’d expect him to come forward as the witness, because nobody in his right mind would forget being parked in the vicinity of the crime, having heard on TV about the girls’ disappearance, and next day, killed. If he is an innocent witness, he should behave this way.

20. Cutiekitty

Cutiekitty Well-Known Member

The actual owner of the tower (the physical structure) wouldn’t necessarily have the info. The various carriers would. If LE asked a Judge to issue a warrant to them I’m pretty sure the judge would be ok with that in this case.

We may be talking about 2 totally different things. I was doing that earlier. I think I need either caffeine or sleep, not sure which.

21. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

MOO Carter personally believes two witnesses saw a single man.
    MOO one saw him in old clothes maybe a distance, and saw him as older, one saw him dressed normally for a young man.

Wells, IQuestion, x_files and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.