Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #127

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something on the definition of signatures. A signature is something the offender did at the crime scene that was entirely unnecessary to actually commit the crime, but served a psychological or emotional need that the offender had. A lot of people confuse aspects of the MO, like the weapon used or time of day the crime occurred, with a signature because they are thinking a signature is defined just as something an offender did that was unusual or unique to him. Not so.

Signatures at crime scenes are almost always linked to the psychosexual fantasies of the offender. Signatures are usually actions done directly to the victim and they typically involve sexual elements or elements of power, domination and control. The most common signatures are sexually posing victims, mutilation, insertion of objects, specific types/patterns of bindings and ligatures. I would also add the removal of "trophies" that could serve to allow the offender to relive his fantasies of the crime later on.

Notice "staging" is a not a signature. Staging is when the crime scene is altered by the offender in order to confuse or redirect LE from the true motive of the crime. This doesn't serve a deep psychological need or sexual fantasy. Instead it's a practical decision by the offender designed to help him escape responsibility for the crime. Quite different.

All MOO.

Offender’s Signature vs. Modus Operandi
Posted on June 22, 2011by jchasenovelist
Sometimes it’s confusing for people to differentiate between a criminal’s signature versus the criminal’s modus operandi when they commit a specific crime.

Are they the same?

No, they are distinctly different because one feeds on emotional needs, while the other is a procedure.

Modus operandi is the method that is used to commit the crime and signature behavior is what helps to serve the criminal’s emotional and psychological needs.

A modus operandi or MO refers to the method or procedure that a criminal uses when committing a crime. It comes from the Latin phrase meaning “mode of operation”. Basically, all criminals have a method of operation that encompasses the habits, techniques, and any peculiarities of behavior. The method can stay the same, but it will often grow and change over time as the criminal becomes more skillful at committing a specific crime.

If an investigator or detective establishes the MO in a homicide case, they would refer to the forensic analysis of the crime scene.

Here are a few examples of a criminal’s MO:

• The type of restraints used on the victim, wound patterns, and type of fiber of the restraints.
  • Type of weapon used, such as knife, blunt object, or gun.
  • Tape found on victim that was used to bind hands and cover mouth.
  • Tools used to gain entry to victim’s home.
  • Attack could be from when the victim exits their vehicle or walks through a dark parking garage.
  • Time of day that the offender chooses to commit the crime, such as nighttime or early morning.
  • Lack of fingerprints that would indicate the offender used gloves.
All of these examples constitute a criminal’s MO in committing a crime.

A signature refers to the distinctive behaviors that help to serve the criminal’s psychological and emotional needs. Physical evidence helps to establish the signature behaviors of the criminal who committed the specific crime.

Again, the investigator or detective for a homicide case would refer to the forensic analysis for this type of evidence in regard to the signature behaviors at the crime scene.

Here are a few examples of criminal signatures:

• Level of injury to the victim, minimal or excessive.
  • Specific location or sequence to the criminal act.
  • Ejaculation, urination, and/or defecation at the crime scene.
  • Specific type of weapon used.
  • Personal items taken from victim.
  • Specific type of victim targeted that refers to age, race, occupation, or other physical characteristics.
  • Anything specifically left at the crime scene, such as a note or object.
An easy way to remember the difference is that a criminal’s MO refers to the way the crime is committed and the signature is what is beyond that it takes to commit the specific crime.

Due to the emphasis on sweatshirts/jackets (coats), in this case, it’s a logical avenue of inquiry, in my opinion.
I recall an interview with Abbys mom stating that when they were searching for the girls ( not sure if the 13th or 14th that she brought Abbys coat with her knowing she was without it and thought she would be needing it when found.she may have asked BP to bring it to her

I believe neither girl took a coat when they left the house due to the unseasonably warm weather that day

If you could ask ONE thing to be released to the public that could truly help the investigation, what would you ask?

I would want to know WHAT, if anything, was missing from the CS?

In my mind, if the killer took possession of one of the girls items, there is a HUGE possibility that someone would remember seeing said item.

I dunno.. Thoughts?

AMOO JMO MOO
I think, I would like to know the car, in detail, please.

they don't know where he was .. I think you mean the le guy in the show standing there and theorising
Then my memory failed. Thought, they know, BG was standing there himself and they are waiting for tips.

LM was excluded as a possible suspect following the West BB Rd search warrant. There was likely a tip received that he'd been on the trails that same day. LE took several bags of evidence while searching the shed at the address, according to Mainstream video.

One signature would be the heinous crimes were committed in broad daylight. Wouldn't it? Perhaps the precious girls were posed in a particular manner. Heartbreaking to consider, really.

Odd thing for the CPS bldg to be torn down while suspecting a dangerous killer may have parked a vehicle in that location.

Dee!! Where have you been the last year and a half??? Been worried sick about you. Please email me or PM . ❤️

If you could ask ONE thing to be released to the public that could truly help the investigation, what would you ask?

In my mind, if the killer took possession of one of the girls items, there is a HUGE possibility that someone would remember seeing said item.

I dunno.. Thoughts?

AMOO JMO MOO

Was there evidence of SA? If so, the motive is clear. If not, that’s a different story, and opens up other possibilities. jmo.

Of course, very interested in COD.

Dee!! Where have you been the last year and a half??? Been worried sick about you. Please email me or PM . ❤️

(Um, where have yoooooooou been?)

LM was excluded as a possible suspect following the West BB Rd search warrant. There was likely a tip received that he'd been on the trails that same day. LE took several bags of evidence while searching the shed at the address, according to Mainstream video.

One signature would be the heinous crimes were committed in broad daylight. Wouldn't it? Perhaps the precious girls were posed in a particular manner. Heartbreaking to consider, really.

Odd thing for the CPS bldg to be torn down while suspecting a dangerous killer may have parked a vehicle in that location.
The McCain brothers associated with the canal and bridge restoration pursued the building for years but apparently demolition was the better option...
INDOT decides to demolish old social services building | Carroll County Comet

I dunno.. Thoughts?

AMOO JMO MOO

Release the rest of "Down the hill". No one can visualize a person from just a couple of words. Manner of speech, inflection, structure and tone, etc are all important in identifying someone you cannot see but may know well IMO.

I dunno.. Thoughts?

AMOO JMO MOO
The car at the CPS building for me, too. Unfortunately, I'm starting to believe that LE doesn't know enough about it either - except that it is a vehicle that hasn't been accounted for that day. At least one person on here that has been to the area noted the security camera at the storage facility. But the vehicle could have been too far away to ID a make and model and if the security camera is black and white it might be difficult to know the actual color. I would have thought if it was caught on that camera, LE should at least know whether it was an SUV, sedan, 4door/2door, etc. If it was seen on the camera, then LE would also know when it arrived and left per the time stamp on the video.

I do find it interesting that it is possible that a half dozen to 10 vehicles could have been parked at all of the available parking areas between noon and 5PM that day and this is the ONLY one LE is interested in almost 4 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304