Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #135

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tricia, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M. Kay

M. Kay Member

This map is useful. So simply graphic that I see for the first time why many theorize that murderer left scene of crime through the cemetery. I've seen videos of walking through, and "down the hill", and it's more daunting and distanced than in the mind's eye. (sorr

2. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

I think this is also what you are saying, but to clarify....let's say they have an item of one girl's clothing with a very tiny spot on it that contains a sample of DNA that is potentially the offender's DNA. The concern in years past would be that the sample would be "used up" in the first round of testing and there would not be enough of the sample left to do other types of analysis, should other technology become available in the future. This is not such a big concern today as there are amplification methods that will give you "enough" DNA to work with. Once that unknown profile is digitized and in the criminal database, you don't need to keep going back to the original sample to perform other rounds of STR matching (which is what CODIS and state databases use).

The only area of question would be, no matter the physical size of the sample being worked with, was it deteriorated/degraded, or was it complete? Were the STR loci that are used in CODIS represented in the sample that LE have, or had some of them dropped out through degradation? If all 20 aren't there then you are dealing with partial DNA and in the future you may want to look at how the original analysis was done, see if it can be done again at some point (perhaps by a private lab that uses different algorithms), look into partial matching IF it's legal, etc.

Nowadays there is, of course, genetic genealogy which doesn't use STR genetic segments, it uses SNPs. It's different than what CODIS uses and the labs that analyze these would need their own sample to work from, from my understanding. Nevertheless, they can also work with very small sample amounts due to aforementioned DNA amplification techniques.

All MOO.

Woodberry, AC4RD, Seenit and 9 others like this.
  3. M. Kay

M. Kay Member

This map is useful. So simply graphic that I see for the first time why many theorize that murderer left scene of crime through the cemetery. I've seen videos of walking through, and "down the hill", and it's more daunting and distanced than in the mind's eye. (Sorry I cut this off as I was posting it previously.)

JnRyan, Seenit and Deerrun like this.
  4. Barbieshell

Barbieshell Always be kind folks YOLO

Very interesting post, thank you :D.

Seenit, Sunny123, Yemelyan and 2 others like this.
  5. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

I think any announcement will be 1) when they are ready to make an arrest and 2) after the trial regarding the 9yo.

He's behind bars, so no reason to rush to an arrest. They can wait for the trial to end, imo. There is no clock ticking for them, no urgency to protect the public.

If he's BG, that is.

jmo

BuckeyeGal, Seenit, JDough and 6 others like this.
  6. Inthedetails

I won't be surprised either.

jmo

Seenit, minazoe, Maradentro and 4 others like this.
  7. Pennysmom1

Pennysmom1 Well-Known Member

8. SMK777

SMK777 Well-Known Member

@minazoe

At least from the article it does appear that Indiana is still seriously investigating him as a potential suspect.: ( the accompanying mugshot gives interesting perspective on Chadwell’s face)

Chadwell is in jail, currently awaiting trial after a nine-year-old girl was found naked and covered in dog bites in his Indiana basement last month.

Investigators there say they are trying to determine if Chadwell is connected to the Delphi murders in 2017.

The Indiana prosecutor’s office recently requested details on Chadwell’s record here in South Dakota.

Man accused of Indiana child kidnapping, attempted murder has long South Dakota criminal history | KELOLAND.com

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  9. SMK777

SMK777 Well-Known Member

10. minazoe

minazoe Well-Known Member

child abuse drunk driving with kids in the car..

JnRyan, Seenit and SMK777 like this.
  11. Inthedetails

What was the make and model of the car?!

Seenit likes this.
  12. SMK777

SMK777 Well-Known Member

Would you agree it’s a positive sign that the article states Indiana LE are still investigating JBC in connection with Delphi, and have requested his records from South Dakota?

Seenit, Tealgrove, Pennysmom1 and 5 others like this.
  13. Turkeytrot

Turkeytrot Well-Known Member

I personally feel like that's very encouraging...imo..

Seenit, Slawsb, Schatz and 2 others like this.
  14. minazoe

minazoe Well-Known Member

they are gonna have their ducks in a row. period.. no mistakes.

mOO

JnRyan, Seenit, Slawsb and 3 others like this.
  15. SMK777

SMK777 Well-Known Member

My own feeling, as well.

Seenit, Slawsb and Turkeytrot like this.
  16. CrimeAway

CrimeAway Well-Known Member

@Yemelyan what is the difference between STR segments/loci and SNPs?

Are STR specific places LE look at in the DNA profile?
    Are SNPs known places of genetic variation?

Seenit and Sunny123 like this.
  17. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

Both can be used for human identification and for establishing relatedness.

STRs are "short tandem repeats" - specific, known genetic segments of high, calculable variance in the population. Variations between individuals are in how many times these short segments are repeated in tandem. These are what are used as established markers in CODIS.

SNPs are "single nucleotide polymorphisms" - where a single nucleotide is swapped out or mutated. Once one of these changes occurs, it is heritable and is passed down in a stable fashion from generation to generation. Frequencies of these changes can be calculated or predicted for ethnic groups, for lack of a better word, thus predicting ancestry. Some SNPs encode phenotypic traits - the visual part you see of genetically encoded traits like eye or hair color, or freckling (which is why this technology is used by Parabon, for example, to predict some offender characteristics).

They are just two different pieces of genetic information but looking at each of them requires different sequencing techniques.

There is much, much more to the science of it but that's a bare bones explanation. MOO.

Woodberry, AC4RD, Seenit and 8 others like this.
  18. SMK777

SMK777 Well-Known Member

I’m assuming that will be in the records they sent for.

Seenit likes this.
  19. Caylee Advocate

Caylee Advocate My Give A Damn's Busted

Article says he lived in Rapid City SD, I wonder when?

Seenit and SMK777 like this.
  20. OverTheRhine

OverTheRhine Well-Known Member

I think the records request would be more for his current trial to show a pattern of behavior and criminal activity to use for prosecution, since it was requested by the prosecutor. I still think it's a positive sign that they haven't ruled him out yet though. This is such a high profile, high publicity crime and I'd expect them to have their ducks in a row. I understand the families have been waiting, but if they know it's him and he's already in jail, then I'd say it's worth waiting if it means a conviction and an end to a 4 year search. I still have a good feeling about this. Too many things just add up. He could end up being linked to more than just Delphi.

JnRyan, Seenit, Becky Starkey and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.