Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #136

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know exactly what you mean. My voice to my ear sounds nothing like my voice on the answering machine. It could very well be the reason nobody has been identified by the audio Libby recorded.

I stillxwonder if Sheriff Leazenby has ever figured out where he's heard that voice before. He seemed very sure he had.

I don't know if he was doing that for effect and to get people to really stop and listen, incase they knew him or he really did know the voice? but if he really did think he had heard the voice before, I feel very sorry for him because he would be racking his brain every single day, trying to figure out who it was and that would be so painful.. Imagine how much guilt he would have to live with, knowing he has heard that voice before and he can't remember where and then on top of that, the fact they after 4 years still haven't solved the case...

I know exactly what you mean. My voice to my ear sounds nothing like my voice on the answering machine. It could very well be the reason nobody has been identified by the audio Libby recorded.

I stillxwonder if Sheriff Leazenby has ever figured out where he's heard that voice before. He seemed very sure he had.

The interesting thing is that your voice sounds different on a recording to you, but it doesn't sound different to the people who are used to hearing you. It's nothing to do with the recording altering your voice, instead it has to do with the fact that other people are hearing your voice solely through air vibrations but when you hear your own voice normally you are also hearing it through bone vibrations (which give it a lower tone). When you hear yourself recorded, you are hearing yourself only through the air - the same way other people hear you all the time. This article explains it: Why your voice sounds weird on recordings

So BG probably thinks his own voice sounds odd on the audio that's been released but it should be fairly close to how the people who know him hear him. If there's anything odd or unrecognizable about his voice, it's probably an artifact of the phone being muffled or shoved in a pocket.

The interesting thing is that your voice sounds different on a recording to you, but it doesn't sound different to the people who are used to hearing you. It's nothing to do with the recording altering your voice, instead it has to do with the fact that other people are hearing your voice solely through air vibrations but when you hear your own voice normally you are also hearing it through bone vibrations (which give it a lower tone). When you hear yourself recorded, you are hearing yourself only through the air - the same way other people hear you all the time. This article explains it: Why your voice sounds weird on recordings

So BG probably thinks his own voice sounds odd on the audio that's been released but it should be fairly close to how the people who know him hear him. If there's anything odd or unrecognizable about his voice, it's probably an artifact of the phone being muffled or shoved in a pocket.

oh I see.. I didn't realise this.. Ok well there goes my theory :D:D:D

I'm confused by his language in response to a very direct question.

I'm not a fan of LE's presentations about this case. Too much head-scratcher mumble-mumble. Can't tell when they're being cagey and when the vagueness is unintentional. Can't tell if the intended audience is the public or the killer. It's all murky.

Wasnt it said that the guys and down the hill might not have been one sentence, but pieced together by LE?

I also thought the video they have might not be one video, but many little videos.

Wasnt it said that the guys and down the hill might not have been one sentence, but pieced together by LE?

I also thought the video they have might not be one video, but many little videos.

I think both of these things have been speculated upon by the public but LE has never confirmed anything about the editing of the phrase (other than making sure everyone understands it's just one person speaking) or how many videos exist.

Abby's mom did do an interview that was allowed here as a source as it was her first person account of LE playing audio for her that has not been heard by the public. She touched on the question of how "guys...down the hill" was said. That interview is here:

And the relevant part is this, which happens around the 20:00 minute mark:

Interviewer: So they released first the “down the hill” and then the “guys.” I’ve heard some people saying it was altogether one sentence, I’ve heard people saying it wasn’t, what do we know? Because I’ve heard all different things, I want to hear it from you.

AW: There is less than a 3 second gap in Guys down the hill…. There’s not long minutes of pause, there is seconds of pause.

Interviewer: Could the girls have been responding and they muted it out?

AW: I don’t think it was that. Rude as it sounds, it was the typical teenager, “Huh? What? Hm?” There's a brief half second pause…

Because AW is reporting that she heard the girls make a questioning utterance just between "guys" and "down the hill" this leads me to believe that it was not edited together from two different conversations or times. It seems that in the version played for the public, the girls' "huh? hm?" has been removed. AW says LE told her this was so the public would focus only on the unknown voice.

But, because LE hasn't confirmed this, we don't know for sure.

I do not understand the fascination with wether or not the girls screamed or responded or said anything..and speculation over why we cant hear it..

of course they responded, does anyone believe they were silent and did this man's bidding?

for me it is extra information, superfluous and not relevant, will not change the outcome or tell us anything..and if it does reveal anything..they aren't going to tell us.

let's just assume they screamed , resisted etc, and were eventually subdued.

mOO

I'm not a fan of LE's presentations about this case. Too much head-scratcher mumble-mumble. Can't tell when they're being cagey and when the vagueness is unintentional. Can't tell if the intended audience is the public or the killer. It's all murky.
That's what I keep bouncing around. Do they know who, have a prime suspect or a handful of suspects like Sheriff Leazenby had mentioned? Are they being vague on purpose to keep someone guessing what they know and waiting for a mistake or an alibi to change their mind? Are the being direct with purpose like the April 2019 PC or do they really have no clue at all who's responsible?

They are still looking at JBC...really the circumstantial evidence will have to stack up if they cant get a confession. In all honesty the way this guys life sort of lands on every space on the game board is down right bizarre.

I think the "personal' "speaking to you' elements of the PC conference happened due to the profile being that of a "local". mOO

I'm not a fan of LE's presentations ... Can't tell when they're being cagey and when the vagueness is unintentional. Can't tell if the intended audience is the public or the killer. It's all murky.

I agree that things aren't always clear--but I think (OMHO) that the vagueness is possibly a deliberate and wise way of handling public announcements. I tend to think (again, MOO) that a lot of very smart people in law enforcement-local, state, and federal--have worked out a strategy for keeping the public as informed as they can, without overly harming their chances of catching and convicting the bad guy(s).

Perhaps I'm too optimistic about this, but I genuinely believe LE is acting with carefully crafted aims in releasing all of what the public hears about this case. I certainly hope so, at least.

So ive been thinking about something regarding BG'S voice and why he hasn't been recognised yet..

You know how when you hear your voice on a recording and you think omg do I really sound like that? Maybe that's exactly what's happening here.. Maybe BG'S normal/everyday voice docent sound like it does on the recording? Maybe BG'S family/friends have heard the recording and they don't think it sounds like him at all or maybe they have there suspicions but they aren't 100% sure and they're not willing to wreck there loved one/friends life based on a hunch?

It's common knowledge that you don't hear yourself as others hear you because your ears are on the side of your head and half of the sound is vibration traveling thru your head. You hear your own voice much deeper tones and richer than when it's on a recording where it sounds thin and higher pitched.

On the other hand, OTHER PEOPLE sound exactly like they sound in real life when they get recorded.

Color me still confused. If two people are depicted in the two sketches, why oh why does Carter believe the suspect, when caught, will be a combination of the two?

I haven’t posted here in ages due to being busy with children and full time caretaking for my grandmother with dementia. However.... my take on this (as I do still try and read at least) is that perhaps the second sketch which is really the first sketch could also possibly be the same person portrayed younger. The only reason I have for this is perhaps sparking something in someone who may have known them years ago to remember something that stands out.

That's what I keep bouncing around. Do they know who, have a prime suspect or a handful of suspects like Sheriff Leazenby had mentioned? Are they being vague on purpose to keep someone guessing what they know and waiting for a mistake or an alibi to change their mind? Are the being direct with purpose like the April 2019 PC or do they really have no clue at all who's responsible?
MOO they have no clue.
They were heavy handed, at least at first and may have driven off their only possible leads from homeless in the area or drug associates of the perpetrator by declaring if they find wrong doing in pursuit of information, they will have to prosecute.

Last edited:
I'm also of the opinion that LE has no clue. I also still believe that the Evansdale, IA murders could be connected to Abby & Libby's murders. Been following this since the beginning. For two years now I've hoped that a new, fresh set of cold case investigators would take on the case. But there is ego involved in saying that the case has gone cold, the police are stumped, whatever. It just doesn't make sense. There is a crime scene, some sort of signatures or staging, and a video of the perp. This should have been solved and still can be. I am not one that believes that BG is a master at hiding or planning, either. There are some excellent investigative podcasts that have brought light to cold cases and aided in them being solved, but in those cases, the producers were able to get police reports, evidence, etc. LE won't give anything out in this case, and it is time for the public to start pushing, if that is at all possible. IN MY OPINION ONLY.

I'm also of the opinion that LE has no clue. I also still believe that the Evansdale, IA murders could be connected to Abby & Libby's murders. Been following this since the beginning. For two years now I've hoped that a new, fresh set of cold case investigators would take on the case. But there is ego involved in saying that the case has gone cold, the police are stumped, whatever. It just doesn't make sense. There is a crime scene, some sort of signatures or staging, and a video of the perp. This should have been solved and still can be. I am not one that believes that BG is a master at hiding or planning, either. There are some excellent investigative podcasts that have brought light to cold cases and aided in them being solved, but in those cases, the producers were able to get police reports, evidence, etc. LE won't give anything out in this case, and it is time for the public to start pushing, if that is at all possible. IN MY OPINION ONLY.
There may be embarrassing police procedure lapses. GBI took a look, time for another as well.

MOO they have no clue.
They were heavy handed, at least at first and may have driven off their only possible leads from homeless in the area or drug associates of the perpetrator by declaring if they find wrong doing in pursuit of information, they will have to prosecute.

I agree with this. This was very bad strategy on LE’s part.
Also, Robert Ives has stated that everyone thought it would be solved quickly early on. There was lots of evidence at the crime scene according to him. It was a very out of place crime, they had a video, an audio clip, it was a small town. The FBI was assisting. My own opinion has always been local LE dismissed some information early on based on personal relationships and reputations. Such as if someone brought up something they had seen and the police didn’t think much of that person, they pretty much ignored it, if someone mentioned a person doing something suspicious police would think oh that person’s just a little weird or they come from a nice family and never consider them. They did this I think because they they were overly confident in solving it...they had a video and audio clip.
Two years after the murders they realized their mistakes so we have the 2019 press conference and the “change in direction” and the ridiculous second sketch scenario.
Opportunities were lost early on that can’t be recaptured.
If JBC is not the guy, they have nothing.

I agree with this. This was very bad strategy on LE’s part.
Also, Robert Ives has stated that everyone thought it would be solved quickly early on. There was lots of evidence at the crime scene according to him. It was a very out of place crime, they had a video, an audio clip, it was a small town. The FBI was assisting. My own opinion has always been local LE dismissed some information early on based on personal relationships and reputations. Such as if someone brought up something they had seen and the police didn’t think much of that person, they pretty much ignored it, if someone mentioned a person doing something suspicious police would think oh that person’s just a little weird or they come from a nice family and never consider them. They did this I think because they they were overly confident in solving it...they had a video and audio clip.
Two years after the murders they realized their mistakes so we have the 2019 press conference and the “change in direction” and the ridiculous second sketch scenario.
Opportunities were lost early on that can’t be recaptured.
If JBC is not the guy, they have nothing.

Agree with this as well. I'd guess they had some good info in the beginning and dismissed it for the reasons you highlighted. I just cant get on board with the theory that LE knows who did it and can't make a move. The whole case is just bizarre. They have audio/video, lots of evidence (according to Ives), feel perp is local/has local connection and its this tiny town, share almost nothing with the public except a sketch which gets completely changed 2 years later... Claim a change in "investigative strategy" which I dont get how changing a sketch is changing strategy. But even if all of these moves were never aimed at informing the public and were really strategically aimed at a select few (perp/perp's family, etc) it clearly hasnt worked. Time for a new strategy perhaps... **MOO**

"Guys....down the hill" are apparently the only words spoken by him, or the only recognizable words anyway.

Here's how we know: from minute 6:00 of episode 10 of Down the Hill. You can listen to it here: Chapter 10: Four Years - Down The Hill: The Delphi Murders - Omny.fm

Reporter: Is there more audio from him on the tape other than what’s been released?

TL: Not that I am aware of.

Reporter: So, he says “guys, down the hill” and those are the only words spoken by him?

TL: Right.

Oddly contradictory to what David Bursten says (start at 7:50) in this podcast less than a month after the murders:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member