Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #138

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tricia, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JnRyan

JnRyan Well-Known Member

THANKS! I had forgotten about those. I do know a tree stand was out there, but I didn't know if it was on RL's or Mears. It seemed to be too far west to be RL's so Mears makes sense. However that photo appears to be what we called a "portable" tree stand - that is, one that can be moved from tree to tree. Usually secured to the tree with straps and/or chains. When I hunted we had one that could be broken down into 3 sections to facilitate mobility. If that is the case these photos appear to be taken AFTER the murders, so I wouldn't be sure if that stand was up at the time of the murders or if it was in that same spot.

For example Rivers Edge makes portable ladder stands (there are other brands as well).
    Rivers Edge: 1-Man Ladder Stands

(Edited to add example of stands.)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    superbee, watcher9 and AC4RD like this.

2. MollyDDD

MollyDDD The Geator with the Heater.

Did he mean a “couple” of girls or a couple as in two adults??

3. MollyDDD

Ohhhh, okay and thanks. I think I’ll stay put.:oops:

Marzipan likes this.
  4. IronyDetective

IronyDetective Well-Known Member

I have ALWAYS wondered this @MollyDDD;
    And is the word “couple” commonly used in Rural Indiana or is it an unusual choice of phrase, the way someone from the UK or Australia would say a fortnight for two weeks? Which is not so common in the US I believe ... just MOO
    Great sleuthing everyone, I enjoy reading Everyone's theories and am glad we are all still here for the girls...

superbee, My2Boys, denise_109 and 7 others like this.
  5. JnRyan

JnRyan Well-Known Member

My original thought was a guy and gal, adults. Now, I'm not so sure. An adult and an adolescent? Two girls? Now I'm trying to keep an open mind since I don't believe we've heard from the originator, FSG.

6. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

Never been quite clear to the public but I'm sure that LE knows the absolute answer to that question.

7. iamnotagolem

iamnotagolem Well-Known Member

I’ve wondered this so many times and we never hear from the FSG who mentions the “couple” only 2nd and 3rd hand accounts. So a lot depends on the inflection on whether he when asked if he’d seen the girls and says he’s seen “a couple…” (and debated location). So it’s super unclear if he saw a couple of girls or a couple. I’m more inclined to think it’s a couple of girls because if you’re looking for two girls, why would someone offer up a guy/girl couple that the searcher wasn’t looking for?

If someone is looking for dog, you don’t say, no haven’t seen it but saw a cat over yonder. So I’m inclined to lean more towards it being a couple girls.

slippers, WillieMac, JnRyan and 9 others like this.
  8. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

What about a regular camera? They are still sold around. The trend to use cellphones for photos and movies has formed during the last 10-12 years, but 10 years ago, I also used a Sony photo with a camera, as cellphones had bad cameras. Maybe he did the same? They didn't have GPS, I think.

superbee, JnRyan, watcher9 and 2 others like this.
  9. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

I think there are some "hidden crevices" around, and he had the time to smarten himself up.

superbee, Marzipan, watcher9 and 2 others like this.
  10. FromGermany1

FromGermany1 Formerly FromGermany

If a pedestrian was seen after the crime with a duffle bag, it makes sense to have been BG. BUT: nobody saw a man carrying a duffle bag before the crime. That's strange. IF it was BG on the road side: did he prepare the crime scene with his filled bag in advance?? Are there witnesses, who saw him (a man with a bag) on Friday/Saturday/Sunday?

11. AC4RD

AC4RD Well-Known Member

My first reaction is "no, would have been digital if at all." Because it's very likely that if BG did have exposed film, he would NOT want the clerk at the photo desk looking at the photos. So if he did shoot real film, it is pretty likely he would have had to develop it himself.

Doing it himself would almost certainly be black-and-white photos, then. There are a lot of us eccentric hobby photographers still shooting film, but developing color film is much more complicated and delicate than B&W film.

So I'd say a film camera is a good thought but very unlikely. It DOES fit perfectly with the thought that BG didn't bring a cellphone--so it couldn't be traced. But by 2017, there had been good point-and-shoot digital cameras for a dozen years. I'm guessing it's much more likely he would have used a P&S if he wanted photos. (signed) --The Hasselblad Kid

e_eunhye, superbee and Marzipan like this.
  12. IronyDetective

IronyDetective Well-Known Member

You’re so right!
    I’ve also just clicked that if someone asked you if you’d seen two girls you wouldn’t say you’d seen a couple under the bridge - meaning a ‘man and woman who are together’ couple - because how would you know? They could be brother and sister !

13. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, the word "couple" is commonly used in both standard American English and in regional variations including Indiana.

As a side note, Indiana was settled "from the bottom up". This brought southern accents further north than in other areas. Other posters from Indiana have mentioned that today, rural Indiana is a mismash of speech accents ranging from "6:00 news", to "Kentucky light" to "Chicago light" with Delphi being mainly "6:00 news" with some "Kentucky light".

Getting back to the point...

The word "couple" is generic to the extent in the USA that sadly, I dont think much can be inferred from it. In contrast, "a pair of..." could indicate an older speaker, or perhaps a speaker using a regional variation.

But... "couple" is far more common in the USA and used it in different ways depending on the context of the conversation:

- "Couple" Male and female with a presumed romantic attachment
    -"Couple" Two people exactly.
    - "Couple" A small number of people (or anything). The exact number does not need to be two per se.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  14. MollyDDD

I agree.o_O

15. ShamelessObserver

ShamelessObserver Well-Known Member

16. StarryStarryNight

StarryStarryNight Well-Known Member

That’s a good point. If the killer walked away from the crime scene with a duffle bag, he must have come with a duffle bag. Did anyone see that? That’s a very good question.
    LE was asking people early on if they saw a guy with a duffle bag walking maybe along Hoosier Heartland Hwy. They were really pushing that, a pedestrian, the killer walking away from the crime scene.
    But then two years later, at the April 2019 press conference, they’re wanting info on a vehicle at the CPS building, and this year there have been hints of walking away again. I’m not sure what information LE has about this.
    Just another example of them muddying things up. Maybe if they would be upfront with the public about what they actually have regarding this type of information, somebody might actually be able to help.

17. MollyDDD

I am sorry to say this, but I don’t think they have much at all. IMO:(

18. FromGermany1

FromGermany1 Formerly FromGermany

I think, maybe the "man with duffle bag" walked up to his parked vehicle at CPS and was seen, before he reached it.

19. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

I just can't fathom the thought of a killer grabbing two victims, marching them to a kill site and them getting away as fast as he could. Why not just kill them on the bridge and be done with it? Or kill one and take the other one?

I do think he was trying to corral them to his vehicle where he could carry them away but he lost control when the girls made a break for it and had to change his plans.

20. heartgoesout

heartgoesout Well-Known Member

Possibly. Depending on where a vehicle was parked making or breaking that theory for me.

superbee, watcher9, Marzipan and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.