Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #146

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the search warrant, this is my speculation:

In the early weeks of the case, RL was a viable POI given where the girls were found, and his history and evasiveness. The warrant was written in a way that utilized the facts at hand but emphasized just those that would make RL look like a possible suspect.

My guess is that LE’s theory at the time was that RL and the Klines were collaborating and/or that they suspected RL of photographing the scene.

After the search and subsequent investigation, LE decided that RL was not directly involved with the deaths.

IMHO, RL is certainly a creep. Probably with some things to hide. But his offenses don’t include these killings. Mid-70s isn’t the age at which an offender commits a first-time double-homicide of children with ‘odd signatures’ and a complex crime scene. I also speculate that if he was collaborating with the Klines, he would not allow the crime to take place on his property.

One fact that’s troubling is RL trying to manufacture an alibi. It doesn’t quite fit with my theory. My best explanation is that he distrusted LE given his background, had some (unrelated) things to hide, and tried to manufacture the alibi to simply avoid scrutiny.

I also agree with an earlier poster (forgive me for not remembering who!) that if RL was the killer, this case would have been solved within the first year.
What did RL know that we don't? There is no way a guy decides that "oh crap! Two kids are missing in my area, and I have a criminal record, so I better get an alibi together!" before they're even found, let alone found dead on his property!!

So what did he know that we don't? RL may not have been the killer, or involved at all. Was someone looking to frame him? Did someone taunt him with evidence of what they'd done before the girls were found by searchers? What happened that RL needed an alibi for the specific time when the girls went missing to when he called his cousin to alibi him?? I'm not buying that this guy didn't know anything about the murders. Are you?

The bridge is 850 feet long. I'd imagine someone not afraid of heights too much could make it across in under 6 minutes.

Of note, the bridge was not part of the Monon trail, in fact ownership transferred from CSX to the preservation group later on that same week.

Good post.

JMO
The FBI agent used "Monon High Bridge Trail" two other times. Since we always separate the bridge from the trail, it stuck out to me that she didn't. I wonder why. Quotes from the doc:

5. Logan's physical build is consistent with that of the male suspect videoed by LG on the Monon High Bridge Trail.

22. Although his exact location cannot be confirmed, the tower data shows that Logan's cell phone was in the Delphi area in the area of the Monon High Bridge Trail.

The alibi seems like a smoking gun that he knew about the murders until you realize that RL told the police he was picked up at 3. With that, it looks like the timing of the alibi didn't really matter to him. It was seemingly just a coincidence that he picked 2-2:30 to begin with.
When he called the cousin, I'd like to know:
-> How did he sound? Was he calm or stressed?
-> What specifically did he say to the cousin?
-> What was reason did he give to the cousin for needing an alibi at all?
-> What was the entire conversation between the cousins?

I'm going to have to have hope that the police know more than we do because this whole alibi thing does not seem coincidental to me.

When he called the cousin, I'd like to know:
-> How did he sound? Was he calm or stressed?
-> What specifically did he say to the cousin?
-> What was reason did he give to the cousin for needing an alibi at all?
-> What was the entire conversation between the cousins?

I'm going to have to have hope that the police know more than we do because this whole alibi thing does not seem coincidental to me.
True. But the question remains: Why then was LE never able to point to RL as playing a role in the crime, even as a peripheral accomplice in some sense?

What did RL know that we don't? There is no way a guy decides that "oh crap! Two kids are missing in my area, and I have a criminal record, so I better get an alibi together!" before they're even found, let alone found dead on his property!!

So what did he know that we don't? RL may not have been the killer, or involved at all. Was someone looking to frame him? Did someone taunt him with evidence of what they'd done before the girls were found by searchers? What happened that RL needed an alibi for the specific time when the girls went missing to when he called his cousin to alibi him?? I'm not buying that this guy didn't know anything about the murders. Are you?
The thing with the alibi is that he asked the cousin to cover for 2-2:30, but told police he left at 3. The time argument doesn't really hold much water to me. It's clear he just wanted coverage for the afternoon, probably because he figured if police started asking questions about witnesses and who was doing what at what time, he'd need to be able to explain things without violating his probation. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there are people searching is property, the girls disappeared right next to his property, so police might come asking if he knew anything and he needed to have an answer as to why he wasn't around.

Actually, typing this out and thinking about it from that perspective, I think it better indicates he had no idea when the crime actually occurred. It was just easier to say he was gone from 2-3 to 5-6 and just wash his hands of the whole situation rather than have to come up with a more complicated story that risked his illegal travel being scrutinized more heavily.

The timeframe of the disappearance was on the local news the night of the 13th, as well:

Carroll County Sheriff Toby Leazenby said Abigail "Abby" Williams and Liberty "Libby" German were last seen around 1 p.m. when they were dropped off near an abandoned railroad bridge known as "Monon High Bridge," east of Delphi.

The girls were supposed to meet at the same location to be picked up later in the afternoon, but they never showed.

The family contacted police around 5:30 p.m. and crews have been out searching the area around the old railroad bridge. The girl's cell phones are either dead or turned off.

Doesn't seem crazy to me that he realized he was out during that time in violation of his probation and wanted to cover it up.

The FBI agent used "Monon High Bridge Trail" two other times. Since we always separate the bridge from the trail, it stuck out to me that she didn't. I wonder why. Quotes from the doc:

5. Logan's physical build is consistent with that of the male suspect videoed by LG on the Monon High Bridge Trail.

22. Although his exact location cannot be confirmed, the tower data shows that Logan's cell phone was in the Delphi area in the area of the Monon High Bridge Trail.
If he was at home, his phone would likely show up as in the Delphi area, in the area of the Monon High Bridge Trail based on historical tower records. It's notable to me that the notation of him likely being outside of his house is missing from that particular statement.

JMO

Marking beginning of Monday’s WS discussion re: Murder Sheet podcast & Ron Logan Search Warrant so I can catch up on everyone’s comments in order :)

Found Deceased - IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #145

—-

Eta: Might as well bring forward MS podcast link and SW while I’ve got them handy:

“The Murder Sheet obtained a search warrant filed in the Delphi murders.

About two weeks after the murders of Liberty German and Abigail Williams, authorities raided house where Kegan Kline lived with his father. That was February 2017. In this episode, we'll talk about the March 2017 search warrant focusing on Ron Logan, the man who owned the property where the girls were found murdered.”

Ron Logan Search Warrant
https://www.wishtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/LOGAN-WARRANT-final_Redacted.pdf
MARGARITA25, you are the best! At first I thought I couldn't listen to the Murder Street posdcast because I didn't have an Apple account or some special phone....but as usual, the problem was me. (Headslap, Uh, it helps to to turn on the volume button!) Listening to the revelations on the "K" household males
illuminated how dysfunctional, unnatural and evil acts have been brewing for years. A paternal misogynist psychopath and his mini-me offshoot with computer skills....sounds like a dangerous and doomed partnering.
Suddenly, I am more at peace with the long investigation, probably a lot of creeps to arrest.

I wonder if she just didn't know the bridge wasn't part of the trail. The language around the latitude/longitude is strange, too. The coordinates are given in the same sentence as near where the girls were walking, which initially read like those would be the coordinates for the trail/bridge. But then later she referenced the coordinates as where the bodies were found. I guess the purpose is to show the area they died was in the same general location as where they had been walking?

Yes Monon High Bridge Trail is the official name of that particular segment within the 10 mile Delphi Historic Trail system.

Last edited:
Again I often wonder just how comfortable this individual was along that stretch of Deer Creek.

Say he did clean up in the creek a little, line-of-sight someone looking in that direction from the nearby private property on the other side of the creek could have seen him. As we know, nobody was home that day. BG had to have known nobody was home, and therefore would have been able to get the girls across the creek, and maybe he could have cleaned up, too, w/o being seen.
BG almost certainly had blood on him per the RL warrant. He's just killed two kids in broad daylight. He's on private property and he has has to get out of there and get cleaned up or he's literally wearing the evidence of his crime. How's he do this? Did he clean up in the creek? How long do police think the killer was in the general area before he left?

True. But the question remains: Why then was LE never able to point to RL as playing a role in the crime, even as a peripheral accomplice in some sense?

And when he was arrested for his parole violation it was publicly announced it had no connection to the murder investigation. Had he been a suspect they had the opportunity to name him a POI, which they did not.

Indiana State Police

@IndStatePolice
@dbursten says media reports connecting Ronald Logan to #DelphiMurders is FALSE. Probation Violation; no connection to murder investigation

And stated and restated several times, LE does not have authority to “clear” anyone during an open investigation. But throughout the past five plus years they have given absolutely no indication RL was ever a suspect following the SW.

Q. In January 2019, you did an interview with a woman named Angela explaining that Ron Logan has been “covered” and not “cleared”. Have you been able to clear Ron Logan yet?

A. No one is truly “cleared” until we have the alleged responsible party in custody and formal criminal charges are filed by the prosecutor.

Out of curiosity, I reread the podcast transcriptions I posted (which can easily be found in the media thread) many moons ago and found the following information/statements particularly interesting in light of recent developments —

More than 20 people who were contacted by LE in connection to this case were arrested on unrelated charges.

<Snip>

WOW. 20 people connected by law enforcement in connection to the case were arrested, including RL.

Not a good way to foster a spirit of cooperation with the public, in my opinion. Why would anyone want to talk to investigators?

I'm of the opinion that RL heard the murders, which occurred 1/4 mile from his home, while he was home. He may have seen the murderer. Likely he did not share this information with LE because he did not trust LE, and why should he, when he was one of the 20 who were arrested and jailed?

MOO

Last edited:
Same could be asked about a few. They came into contact with the Ks pretty early as well, I believe.

I agree, it's the timing that makes it odd and I don't find the explanation that he just wanted to cover for the probation violation all that satisfactory, but yeah I understand it might be coincidental. Along those lines I'm curious about the 2 texts later that night and where his phone pinged (with the caveat of "on initial exam").

Exactly one week after the murders, almost to the hour, a girl in Galveston (who KAK knew and looked up the day before), who had given her address to a_shots, got off the bus and saw a guy in a ski mask looking in her bedroom window. Are we going to believe that was RL, too? I just don't.

Last edited:
I see your point. My fuzzy thinking was when LE talked to the “cousin” they also asked HIM his whereabouts that afternoon. Well, lo and behold, he was at Ron’s place in Delphi, walking distance from the scene of a murder. Ron actually had a reason to be there. He lived there. Why was the “cousin” there? Oh - to pick Ron up. Ron may have told him to say that if he were questioned. Maybe to protect the cousin more so than himself.

BTW, I am putting quotes around “cousin” since we don’t know the identity of this person. Where I live, we call lots of people “cuz”. It may be a regional thing, but unless I see a family tree for RL, and the “cousin” identified, I apply the grain of salt rule.
Right, good point and good thinking. There is that man I can’t name who is in prison for killing a couple of people who worked at the meat plant and who somehow had spent time at RL’s and something I can’t recall about horses. He’s tall but face looked most like BG video of anyone. MOO.

I noted that, too, and wondered if maybe LE knows something from audio, other videos, or witnesses to make them think BG was following the girls on the trail even before the bridge. DC has said the crime scene starts at the trailhead.

Or eyewitnesses from before the girls were dropped off.

Thanks for the tip about the CS boundary.

BG almost certainly had blood on him per the RL warrant. He's just killed two kids in broad daylight. He's on private property and he has has to get out of there and get cleaned up or he's literally wearing the evidence of his crime. How's he do this? Did he clean up in the creek? How long do police think the killer was in the general area before he left?

Or he had a change of clothes with him. Which makes me wonder if he'd 'set-up' the CS before he stalked and murdered, that day.

"We don't know if the person's a local or a drifter who came in and left," Riley said, as he explained what they were looking for as they look to nearby communities for tips.

"We want to look at any aspect of what somebody might have seen," Riley said, adding that if someone saw a person throwing away a backpack, they'd be interested in tracking that down, too."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer