ú

Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #99

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tricia, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger Stripes

Tiger Stripes Well-Known Member

Here are *2* cases of DNA's being used to solve long-cold cases, both of them announced this evening (one, in Seattle, WA, and one, in Reno, NV):

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ee-help-solve-52-year-old-seattle-murder-case

and

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ation-in-1982-cold-case-killing-at-lake-tahoe

I'm hopeful that, with the recent advances in DNA technology, there will be a familial match *sooner* rather than later (i. e., decades from now). Justice for Libby & Abby!

P.S. Sorry if others have already mentioned either or both of these 2 cases announced today; I'm working to catch up on my WS reading!

8paws, steeltowngirl, ocgrad and 7 others like this.
  2. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Possibly because the person who is the car's registered owner doesn't know who "borrowed" the car for the afternoon. Maybe a car shared by several members of a family, or several people at work, or potentially even stolen.

Over the winter we had a out-of-the-area contractor installing several miles of fiberoptic cable (they had a deal with Verizon to install all through New England). At the end of they day they parked all their work vehicles at a lot near the work site (and us), then carpooled back to the motel. I presume they weren't supposed to use the work vans at other times, but at least twice we saw workers come back in the evening for a van. For all I know they had to pick up materials for the next day or something, but it sure looked like they were borrowing the work truck for personal use.

3. TheVisual

TheVisual Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes! I also see someone behind BG. Maybe he went around Abby and headed for Libby(with the phone) and she jumped at his back to stop him. You can see her face. <modsnipped> I think that is why LE can't put on the whole sequence of BG'steps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019
    DancingMuse likes this.
  4. Tiger Stripes

Tiger Stripes Well-Known Member

Okay, as someone who has lived in Lafayette, IN, and as someone who has brownish hair w/red "highlights" (natural, and not from any artificial substance), I noticed in the first few months of living in Lafayette that *everyone* (homeowners) in that area pours tons of water softener salt into their water to keep their laundry from getting orange-ish/ reddish "rusty" streaks... Also noticed that, during the time I lived there, my hair seemed to have more of the red "highlights" than before or after I lived there. FWIW. MOO.

Btw, Lafayette is just maybe a 15-20 min. drive from Delphi, so maybe some similarities in the water and geological formations in/near the water table in that area.

Tillicum, Sipes, ilovechili and 15 others like this.
  5. mtnlites

mtnlites Mystery Machine Driver

I'd never put any of that together, but after reading here I also realized that my hair is different when I wash it up there. My family always talks about the "hard" water and they have a big thing about drinking from the tap. My hair texture changes when I wash it up there and it also starts getting a little brassy.So there really may be something to that.

Tillicum, Sipes, ilovechili and 12 others like this.
  6. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

That's very interesting, and if so, possibly increases the number of suspects!

JMVHO.

7. TTF14

TTF14 Well-Known Member

Very interesting!

And totally off topic: I'm listening to a really interesting podcast right now about a case that used geological expertise to narrow down the identification of 4 dead bodies (3 of them related, one not) through "isotopes" in/on their hair and teeth which told which regions of the US they were from and could even tell where they'd been living in the 2 weeks to 2 months prior to their deaths. Very educational and fascinating. I haven't finished it, but so far it is really educational in that regard. It is called Bear Brook.

callyn, Mo Thuairim, Gumbeaux and 4 others like this.
  8. FrostedGlass

FrostedGlass Well-Known Member

I hope you can explain this to me because I'm having some sort of a mental block on how they could do that.

We have a BG with one body and 2 faces. Was your #1 guy wearing the same clothes as he was on the bridge? If he wasn't, how did they know how to clear him. If he was, then why are they still showing those same clothes on the latest image? Both people couldn't be wearing the same outfit. MOO

9. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

Hi Ohio, Welcome.:):):)
    I'd also like to welcome you here, with your first post.

8paws, IQuestion, DancingMuse and 3 others like this.
  10. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 Well-Known Member

Deleted

crhedBngr likes this.
  11. ocgrad

ocgrad Well-Known Member

I think thats ok because even if it has been dismantled, burned or sunk, the fact tha
    When it was released the LE officer described someone who came forward, waiting a few months due to fear, as "she." And she gave description to the FBI sketch artist who was said to have been working on the sketch already for about a month.
    The FBI has a program for making photo-like sketches which recently now many state and local LE agencies have also. It has a lot of capabilities including cleaning up and extracting facial images from video. Since the sketch came from the FBI I would be surprised if they didn't use their program but that is just a guess on my part.

Krwiley60 likes this.
  12. pepper 34

pepper 34 Well-Known Member

I had also wondered about this after thinking about it for awhile. But, now, if that's true (that it was just a "misspeak) then I am afraid I have to be a little bit critical of the officer who spoke in the news interview.

"We are still looking for the car" means "We are still looking for the car" in any language, imo.

But, I won't be critical for long (already forgiven, in fact) because I'm aware of the incredible pressure that LE is under on this case and their jobs in general, imo. ...And, some officers are not accomplished or practiced speakers but are excellent in the other aspects of their jobs.

Still, I sure do wish I knew what the officer really meant to say.

13. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

Perhaps BG had spent time in the shed, prior and after the murders:
    where he kept more items, ? cleaned up with a change of clothing.
    It may have been convenient to use this shed, while stalking the trail.
    Maybe LE have found it had been used during this period.
    Way back in the threads, we were informed the owners were not present at their property.
    MOO.

swedeheart, x_files, Sipes and 5 others like this.
  14. sumzero

sumzero Well-Known Member

It wasn't that long ago, was it, that LE said they had no info at all about a vehicle? So, I doubt they have anything more than a vague recollection by a witness who cannot even recall the color. Like sketch #2, LE probably had a good reason to dismiss it all this time. Now, it seems LE is revisiting the info they've collected, throwing anything and everything out there, hoping to get lucky. I think they're desperate for a viable lead.

Suglo and susiQ like this.
  15. ab01

ab01 "What is done in the dark always comes to light"

Different properties IIRC that property was south/ east of the bridge where the owners were down south....moo

Tillicum, ocgrad, IQuestion and 4 others like this.
  16. sumzero

sumzero Well-Known Member

Just remember, LE had to issue a press release right after the PC to clarify some statements Carter made. So, maybe it's Carter who misspoke, not Riley.

MJPeony, Suglo, kc1023 and 4 others like this.
  17. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

If I, and many others could be similar, were witnesses to seeing a car nearby, my report would be very sketchy:
    Colour probably, car not a truck, unknown model but not a sports car etc:(:(
    So if a couple of similar witnesses, gave their report, LE may not have sufficient info to identify this car.
    MOO.

8paws, Alice253, ocgrad and 4 others like this.
  18. ocgrad

ocgrad Well-Known Member

I think what you are seeing is due to the movement and trying to get a still shot frame from the video. I don't know the lingo but it's due to the movement. The video was zoomed a lot since she was so far away, but then to take still shots from it they are even lower definition.

19. ab01

ab01 "What is done in the dark always comes to light"

Correct very low pixels and blurriness from the fact that the phone was not stationary while filming and the screen cap was zoomed moo

20. ilovechili

ilovechili Well-Known Member

I have thought of this too, that they are so vague about DNA that it could just mean it is the girls' DNA, etc. I then think well the perp has to have a pretty good idea whether he left DNA so it is not going to fool him. I mean the perp could be unsure but there is a good chance he knows with regard to semen, saliva, blood, etc. whether he left any. The length of time it has been makes one wonder how much, if any, good quality DNA they have of the perp.

Then on the other hand, how are they clearing people including being sure the first sketch is not the person if not by DNA? An ironclad alibi is possible but how would they even know the person that has that is the person in the first sketch...? DNA seems to be the only positive way...

My apologies if this is redundant, it is a fast moving thread. I am always at least a few pages behind and have not even checked other cases lately in trying to keep up with this and one other one.

8paws, steeltowngirl, MJPeony and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.