IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few comments:

1. The bridge is more walking than 'hiking'. You walk down a shortish, flat, maintained trail and then you walk out on the bridge. You return by backtracking. It wouldn't be a satisfying hike to a real hiker. If you're looking for a greater challenge, I suppose you could walk the 505 steps down to the creek in the Mary Gerard Nature Preserve, which begins at the same W300N trailhead.

2. I think the trail was upgraded after the opening of the 25/Hoosier Heartland Highway in 2013. The benches, signage, bridge over the 25 are all fairly recent. I know the bridge has been a 'trail' since 1987 or so but was probably even more low-key until the upgrades.

Yes, he did. One thing that visiting the Monon Bridge makes clear is that BG is a local or has spent enough time in the area to be considered local.

The terrain is difficult. Dense woods even in winter. It is very difficult to orient yourself to the winding river and to navigate the roads around it. The access roads close to the bridge are almost impossible to identify unless you hike in and walk them on foot.

And if you're going to spend a lot of time scouting the area, chances that you'll be seen by someone are very good. The trail is close to the road on the north side. The trailhead where the girls were dropped off is right in front of a Mears house and people are often working outside there. On the south side, the only access is by passing a succession of close-to-the-road residences on 625W. There is no turnaround except by either backing up the road or into someone's driveway.

The cemetery, however, dips down at the back near Ron Logan's pasture gate and you can park a vehicle there without being seen from the road. But there's no clear trail down to the river from there, and it's not easy to get to the bridge. From the looks of it, it seems very unlikely that anyone could drag two adult-size bodies through the dense woods (even in winter) down to the body recovery area -- at least without it being very, very obvious that someone did this.

This was not in any way a casual, opportunistic crime committed by a passerby or transient. It required knowledge of the area and -- this is so important -- loads of confidence in that knowledge.
As a former local and now a frequent visitor, I agree with this excellent description.

If BG had a girlfriend who attended high school in Delphi he would have probably known that there was no school that Monday in February. MOO
Eternal rest grant unto Abby and Libby.[emoji173]

But, BG is a middle-aged man. That's the one physical characteristic that LE has publicly released. I suppose it's not unheard of that a man 45+ years would have a teenaged girlfriend, but it's unlikely and also against the law, unless she's at least the age of consent -- not that BG cares about laws, obviously.

ETA: Most criminals at least like to *appear* that they care about laws publicly, even if they're abducting and murdering young girls privately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO I think LE knows exactly who they are looking at, and they are local. I believe that the perp(s)"used" RL without his knowledge, and he could be being held for his own protection. I also believe that the continued request for information is so when they have their day in court, no one can claim a "rush to judgement" by the prosecution. Tying up loose ends, connecting all the dots, and getting all those ducks in a row!

I'm sure these questions have been discussed at length in our 50 plus threads, but as the case has continued:

1. Why will LE not release COD? Is it because of the girls' age or because this is something only the killer would know? (seems like the Delphi community already knows the COD based on SM rumors)

2. Has LE said definitively they are looking for only one person?

3. Why is LE not saying it either appears to be random or does not? The billboards contradict the theory of it NOT being random, but the multitude of local search warrants support the theory of BG being a local.

I know we don't have a "right" to know the COD, and not that it would really help, but I'm thinking of more recent cases like Vanessa Marcotte and Karina Vetrano, whose COD was released almost immediately.

As I was putting my children on the bus today, I thought to myself "who would know that school was out?" Then I thought~~Bus Driver~~

I don't recall reading anyone mentioning school bus drivers from the area. Has that been mentioned and I just missed it?

Ive always had a feeling that BG is the Dad of one of their friends.

I get the feeling that not many of us believe RL is involved except that he owns the land where the girls were found. Are there any who think he is involved to a deeper degree than that at this time?

I think there are MANY of us who are highly suspicious of RL and his possible involvement. However, the RL angle has been thoroughly discussed and nothing new has emerged since his incarceration. Repeating the same thoughts over and over re: RL seems to initiate lots of argumentative posts, IMO, so I'm content sitting back and reading other's points of view in case there are aspects that I haven't considered.

Never in my wildest nightmares would I have guessed we'd be on thread 59 with no arrest :(. I think this case has gone cold :(.

Ive always had a feeling that BG is the Dad of one of their friends.

First time posting on this thread but I have been keeping up with it almost daily. This was my exact thought! Did one or both of the girls have a friend or classmate that was maybe jealous of them? Or maybe one of the girls was a little mean to someone. So maybe Dad decided to step in and take care of the problem for their kid. Possibility? IMO

He wouldn't have to have a teen girlfriend to get school info
Most schools and Board of Eds post calendars/ schedules on their websites.
PTOs post everything on FB.
Our weekly town paper has the school calendar/schedule in it also.

Foxfire was a muchly loved and respected sleuther eho earned his wings, and went to his heavenly home. Those of is who had the honor of sleuthing with him, miss him a great deal. Excellent logic, terrific instinct.

That's great that there are some sleuthers that still honor him through these threads. It would be interesting to see what his instincts would have been on this particular case.

Web Sleuths seems like a great community, unlike other forums that I've encountered. Although I know things may get heated now and then like other forums, I've noticed that people are still very respectful and hold a degree of civility toward one another on here.

If BG had a girlfriend who attended high school in Delphi he would have probably known that there was no school that Monday in February. MOO
Eternal rest grant unto Abby and Libby.[emoji173]

And that could tie into Valentine's Day somehow.

Grasping at straws here...Was he dating a teacher?

First time posting on this thread but I have been keeping up with it almost daily. This was my exact thought! Did one or both of the girls have a friend or classmate that was maybe jealous of them? Or maybe one of the girls was a little mean to someone. So maybe Dad decided to step in and take care of the problem for their kid. Possibility? IMO

Understanding that stranger things have happened, it's nearly impossible for me to get my head around that as a motive and for such a heinous crime to be committed by someone who is raising children himself.

Yes, I know there is a separate thread for the photo discussion

It appears that BG has his jacket stuffed with things...
We have heard kill kit, puppy, goat, large gun, etc

I remember reading (sorry, can't remember if MSM or rumor mill) that RL owned a gun collection.

What if this local (IMO) knew RL was gone for the day and robbed his home of things to pawn or sell?
What if BG thought that was the reason he was being recorded?

Just another random thought.

Yes, I know there is a separate thread for the photo discussion

It appears that BG has his jacket stuffed with things...
We have heard kill kit, puppy, goat, large gun, etc

I remember reading (sorry, can't remember if MSM or rumor mill) that RL owned a gun collection.

What if this local (IMO) knew RL was gone for the day and robbed his home of things to pawn or sell?
What if BG thought that was the reason he was being recorded?

Just another random thought.

Was RL gone for the day? The only thing proven to be true in his stories is the one he actually didn't give but came out later in court documents - trip to the dump late morning. AFAIK, that's the only verifiable account of his whereabouts that day. If LE verified his other alibis, they never released that publicly.

Was RL gone for the day? The only thing proven to be true in his stories is the one he actually didn't give but came out later in court documents - trip to the dump late morning. AFAIK, that's the only verifiable account of his whereabouts that day. If LE verified his other alibis, they never released that publicly.

You are correct. RL stated that he was in Lafayette until 6:30 but this statement has not been confirmed by LE.

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...rty-where-bodies-of-indiana-hikers-were-found

You are correct. RL stated that he was in Lafayette until 6:30 but this statement has not been confirmed by L

http://www.insideedition.com/headli...rty-where-bodies-of-indiana-hikers-were-found
he also did not state what time he left for lafayette. You could go there and back in as little as an hour, so he could have left as late as 5:30. It would be interesting to know if the searchers saw his truck on the property prior to asking him permission to search at 6:30. His probation violation did not include driving to lafayette, or anywhere else that day outside his trip to the dump.

Hiya, just jumping in here, so forgive me if his was addressed. I'm just wondering why it matters if this guy did or didn't know a school schedule?
Sure it relates to the fact that the girls were there and not in school, but we don't know who this guy is or if he was particularly targeting a child.
Perhaps he was there with his plan, with no particular target and came across the girls and carried everything out.
Again, I don't know all the details, but from what I've quickly skimmed, I don't see any reason to think he was taking advantage of knowing school was out in order to specifically target young girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member