GUILTY IN - Alexis Oesterle, 15, murdered at her Rockport home, 1 Nov 2009

familyfriend,
Welcome to websleuths. I am so sorry for your loss! And I can feel your anger! This is such devestating news....

What kind of person was this stepfather???? Were there any indications he could be capable of doing something like this?

The step father has been arrested....http://www.14wfie.com/global/story.asp?s=11432119

I grew up with jessica (the mother) and thought of Alexis as a goddaughter. This was a heinous crime...everyone is in total shock...friends of hers are flying driving, caravaning in from all over the country to be with her. I am at a total loss....Alexis Oesterle was sweet, smart, funny, beautiful, spirited and just a total original...and was on her way to becoming a fine young woman.

What is wrong with our society....why do we churn out these demons? These subhuman, disconnected souls that stumble around inside our country, inside our citys, inside our schools, inside our churchs and even inside our own f*king homes! this happened to this little girl in her OWN YARD. Noone heard anything? Nothing? Noone?

I am so f*king furious...and in my short 37 years on this earth...I have never felt this kind of anger...But even though I want nothing more than to be the one handing out the punishment to this waste of flesh.

I cant stop thinking...Why? What is it about the "human condition" that spawns this?

I truely wish I could answer those questions for you. I dont even know how to express my grief for you Alexis and her family and friends. Have you thought about looking into a support group for victims of violent crimes? Having someone that can relate to the feelings of outrage and sorrow and even guidance in the court system may help to enforce emotional strengh needed in the coming days and months.

Family friend, I am so sorry for your loss and that of her family. There is no way to explain or understand such a heinous crime or the beings that could commit these acts.

Is there any news who the truck belongs to> I am afraid there may be an additional body somewhere?

The step father was a monster:

"Jeff Spong, Alexis grandfather, said his daughter Jessica recently had a baby with Shelby and that Alexis and Jessica both were furious with the way he treated the child.
“She caught him abusing the new baby, as in the baby crying on the bed. He got upset and slammed the bed and the baby bounced up in the air,” said Spong.
Spong said his daughter reported Shelby for child abuse many times, but to no avail.
“They did an investigation, child services at her house,” Spong said. “She showed ‘em where Ryan had punched holes in the wall."
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=11446335

Another case of CPS not doing thier job at all!! It makes me furious, now we have another child dead!

The step father was a monster:

"Jeff Spong, Alexis grandfather, said his daughter Jessica recently had a baby with Shelby and that Alexis and Jessica both were furious with the way he treated the child.
“She caught him abusing the new baby, as in the baby crying on the bed. He got upset and slammed the bed and the baby bounced up in the air,” said Spong.
Spong said his daughter reported Shelby for child abuse many times, but to no avail.
“They did an investigation, child services at her house,” Spong said. “She showed ‘em where Ryan had punched holes in the wall."
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=11446335

Another case of CPS not doing thier job at all!! It makes me furious, now we have another child dead!

Hindsight is so clear, but I wish to goodness the Alexis's mother would have done more than call Social Services to report him....I wish she had grabbed her children and left him. I am not condemning her, I have known women in her situation and it is hard, hard, hard for them to break away from the abuser. I am praying for her, because Jessica is going to be feeling the immense grief for her daughter while struggling with the guilt that she couldn't prevent it from happening.

thank you all for your kind words...

I never met the step father and I dont want to release any sensitive information and risk screwing up his trial.....but lets just say he was a freekin weirdo.

The truck didnt belong to him...but another vehicle that was impounded did. There was another young man....a friend of lexis that was at first, a person of interest but now it seems he may be the only eyewitness. It was his truck.

Also the mother was in the process of removing herself and the children from the situation...this all happened so fast....he was mister nice guy at first then slowly his darker side started showing itself.....personally....I think he was coming to kill all of them.

Their will be further charges in this case....and something else strange and unsettling is....this guy supposedly had a previous wife and child that "left him"....and its my understanding that they are now considered missing...

I cant really say much more than that...

thank you all for your kind words...

I never met the step father and I dont want to release any sensitive information and risk screwing up his trial.....but lets just say he was a freekin weirdo.

The truck didnt belong to him...but another vehicle that was impounded did. There was another young man....a friend of lexis that was at first, a person of interest but now it seems he may be the only eyewitness. It was his truck.

Also the mother was in the process of removing herself and the children from the situation...this all happened so fast....he was mister nice guy at first then slowly his darker side started showing itself.....personally....I think he was coming to kill all of them.

Their will be further charges in this case....and something else strange and unsettling is....this guy supposedly had a previous wife and child that "left him"....and its my understanding that they are now considered missing...

I cant really say much more than that...

Wow! First of all, I am so so SO sorry that you and your family and the mother will have to live with this. It is so heinous. It is apparent that you and your family thought the world of her. She was so pretty :( Prayers and condolences :(

I don't want to be to nosy, but... Did Mom know the man's ex and child were "missing" and left him? Or are the police now looking into that situation? This is such a sad situation. Some people can appear so pure and good and then wham :(

I hope death looks like an easy way out for this fella, he deserves all of the criminals in jail that have children this angel's age and can't spend time with them to spend a little time with him :furious:

ETA: Did the eyewitness go to the police? Did they have to come for him? Is he being cooperative? Once again, If I seem to be insensitive, do not mean to be, please just tell me to stop if it's to much!

So sorry for your loss family friend. I can't believe there are so many sickos out there. I'll pray for you and your friend's family.

Hello- I was also a friend of the mother's and knew Lex when she was 2. She was the cutest most precious girl and my heart aches for her mom. I am glad they got the murgerer and he will pay. Prison doesnt like child murderers and he will be punished.
One think I do ask..if anyone has an address to send donations please post it! I have bene looking and cant find one. I will also be asking other friends and when I find it I will post it. I know the mother can not afford a service and would appreciate all the help she can get.

Hello- I was also a friend of the mother's and knew Lex when she was 2. She was the cutest most precious girl and my heart aches for her mom. I am glad they got the murgerer and he will pay. Prison doesnt like child murderers and he will be punished.
One think I do ask..if anyone has an address to send donations please post it! I have bene looking and cant find one. I will also be asking other friends and when I find it I will post it. I know the mother can not afford a service and would appreciate all the help she can get.

So sorry this has hit so close to home for you. I'm sure Lex's Mom is shattered - she obviously knew her husband was dangerous and was trying to do the right thing. I'm thinking that Lex was killed trying to protect that baby. So very tragic.

I'm so sorry.....

WELCOME TO WS!!!!

Oh my god. I am thinking of Jessica's mother right now. She harbored and even loved this man . . . and knowing what an obvious scary control freak he was, she put her whole life on hold for this man.

She gives and gives and gives but does not see or refuses to see her range of choices, one of which is to leave him.

He murders her daughter in a fit of rage. She waited too long. Though Jessica is a legal adult, it's interesting that we only have one comment about the mother who saw her husband's potential for violence and did not get herself and her child away from him.

I AM that mother, who was lucky enough to have children that saved themselves from my abusive ex husband. They left home at very early ages, getting better care from friends' parents than they got at home. And I stayed and stayed until I finally woke up long enough to see my choices, and make them.

My heart goes out for the senseless loss of a life that was just beginning. AND, to the darkness in the heart of Jessica's mother Alexis. One that she is damned to live with forever.

Ryan took the baby how was she to leave with one child and not the other . Until you are in this situation you shouldnt say anything about jessica. You will find everything out after the trial is over. God forbid this happens to you or your family!

I am so sorry to all of Alexis' family and friends. She certainly seemed to be very loved by those who knew her. It seems like it never ends - all of these senseless tragedies.

At this site there are many pictures of this beautiful girl - some with what I am assuming to be her baby sister Aria.
http://rememberalexis.com/

Also, a quick google search turned up a site with many comments by both Ryan's family members and former Navy buddies. The authorities have located his previous wife India; according to his Naval buddies, she left him several years ago taking their son Tyler with her (some of the commenters say that India also had a daughter prior to her relationship with Ryan).

There is also a video of Jessica, Alexis' mom talking about her daughter; it is so sad. If Ryan is indeed guilty, I hope he never sees the light of day again.

From May 2012:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/lo...ring-stepdaughter-ep-444377314-326224251.html

Shelby, 35, was charged with murder, obstruction of justice and two counts of false informing stemming from the Nov. 1, 2009, death in the backyard of his Rockport, Ind. home. The jury found him guilty on all counts.

From June 2012:

http://www.14news.com/story/1883268...-of-killing-stepdaughter?clienttype=printable

Ryan Shelby... has been given 55 years (of a possible 45 to 65 year sentence) on the murder count; 1.5 years on the obstruction of justice charge; 1 year each for two counts of false informing; and 960 days of time-served credit.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back