GUILTY IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne, 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

This case is...wow, to say the least. As soon as I saw the pic of the blanket I thought "cheap motel". I don't know any people who use or used thin paisley blankets in their decor now or in the 90's.
The fact that all of it is close to railroad tracks is captivating. Just wondering if all those tracks are still in use. I don't think they would be mapped if they aren't in use, but I'm clueless when it comes to that stuff. Another question: Why so many railroad tracks? Is that normal? Most places I've lived only had one set.

This case is...wow, to say the least. As soon as I saw the pic of the blanket I thought "cheap motel". I don't know any people who use or used thin paisley blankets in their decor now or in the 90's.
The fact that all of it is close to railroad tracks is captivating. Just wondering if all those tracks are still in use. I don't think they would be mapped if they aren't in use, but I'm clueless when it comes to that stuff. Another question: Why so many railroad tracks? Is that normal? Most places I've lived only had one set.

Good point on the blanket.

I was curious if there is an Adult Foster Care facility in the general area. I don't know why, but I am wondering if the perp is mentally challenged. I know that people can change their writing style to "pretend", it's just something that's nagging at me.

I'm so troubled by this case. Wish one of you experienced sleuthers could do some magical sleuthing and come up with something! If only it were so easy, right?

I am assuming LE thought it being just a coincidence. that the girl taken had the same name as the month?
and taken on Good Friday which was the day Christ was crucified?
It appears to me, that perhaps the notes were written with the opposite hand to help protect the identity, so encase they caught a POI, and had them do a hand written sample, it would appear different?
It does seem to me, the POI lives in the area where the girl lived.
and just wanted to spread out physical evidence he left........
the barn where the note was written was not an accident, but knew in advance it was there........i am pretty sure, but not certain, a note or other calling card was left at the crime scene of April, but only LE would know that........Did apr9il attend a church?
the month of April does seem to have a meaning to this person, the springtime etc.............leaving notes the way he did, and not drawing any suspicion to himself, i would look for a city worker, someone wearing a uniform at the time, that would not look suspicious for him being in the neighborhood.
He does seem to enjoy the tauting of the police, such as BTK did.....
and when the publicity dies down again, he may leave more notes etc.........
ALL MOO AND SPECULATIONS ON MY PART.

I would diffidently look for a member of the girls church, if she attended one, and look at members whom also had a city job, or a job wearing a uniform that would put him in the area without notice, where the notes were left..........

Just saw this case on AMW. WOW! Do we have any SOs that live nearby? Do we know where the barn was located?

i can't believe how brazen this was/is leaving actual pics as well as notes, this is truely so hideous and disgusting, but at the same time i feel it is really solvable

If they have photos of the persons body, have they released what race they think he is?

This is insane. What do they mean they have pics of the killer's body and I am confused by the fact that the writing on the barn was getting darker by the day

Twenty-two years ago this week, April Marie Tinsley was abducted from Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Twenty years ago, her killer left a gloating piece of graffiti taking responsibility for her murder.

Six years ago, he resurfaced in a series of harassing notes and photographs all dropped within 20 miles of where April was last seen alive.

One year ago, the FBI announced its involvement in April's case.

April, you would have been 30 years old this year. Somewhere out there is a sick, broken man still trying to prey on the next generation of Aprils, little girls who by now could have been your own beloved daughters. But there are also many, many more good men and women doing their damnedest to end the sickness. Justice will be done.

FBI - April Tinsley case
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/april09/tinsley040309.html

AMW - April Tinsley case
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=64668

Fort Wayne's The News-Sentinel, about the AMW broadcast and April's grieving father
http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090401/NEWS/904010342

Fort Wayne's The Journal Gazette, FBI profile of killer
http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090512/LOCAL/305129908/1002/LOCAL

AMW segment yields number of tips, 400 DNA samples being processed
http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/89637397.html

CNN - FBI joins hunt for killer who leaves taunting notes
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/04/indiana.fbi.cold.case/index.html

Montgomery County News, comprehensive 3-part article
http://www.montgomerycountynews.net/index.php?module=article&view=495

Very long Topix thread discussing the April Tinsley case
http://www.topix.com/forum/tv/reality/TR2QJ4I4ICALET8HK/

Here is the FBI profile posted at the Journal Gazette.
http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090512/LOCAL/305129908/1002/LOCAL

The one significant advantage that we as criminal behaviorists have in looking at this case is the sheer volume of offender behavior we have to consider. This behavior has been demonstrated over the course of 16 years from 1988, when April Tinsley was abducted, raped and murdered through 2004, when the same individual left messages claiming responsibility for April’s death as well as forensic evidence tying him to that crime. Two tremendous clues he’s provided are his age range and his race. He is Caucasian and would currently be in his 40s or 50s. Age and race are important because they give the police and the public a way to narrow the pool of possible suspects. However, the greatest benefit of being able to see the variety of behavior exhibited over a 16 year period is the way it begins to inform our opinion of the kind of offender he is (not all child sex offenders are the same). It also gives us insight into the underlying personality which drives the decisions he makes, including the way he interacts as a member of a family, a neighborhood, a community and a workforce.

What do we know about April Tinsley’s killer? We call this individual a Preferential Child Sex Offender. By that we mean he has a long-term and persistent sexual desire for children. In this case, the offender has demonstrated a specific sexual interest in little girls who have not yet reached puberty. In other words, he is attracted to hairless, undeveloped girls. This interest will not go away. Girls between the ages of 5 and 10 would greatly appeal to him. This does not mean he cannot interact sexually with adults or even older children, but his overwhelming sexual fantasies and desires focus on young girls. He may be married; however the vast majority of Preferential Child Sex Offenders are not. If he has a long-term intimate adult partner, that partner will have an idea that this individual has a sexual interest in little girls, but may be in denial regarding the extent of that interest or his ability to act on it. This offender may establish relationships that give him access to little girls; for instance, he may date or befriend someone in the little girl’s family. Perhaps he’ll seek employment or volunteer activities that give him proximity to little girls. He will be drawn to places where children congregate – playgrounds, swimming pools, parks, etc. Wherever he goes, if a little girl is nearby, his eyes will follow her. He may go out of his way to interact with her. In an unguarded moment, he may even make a casual sexual reference about a little girl which, if overheard, would strike someone as very inappropriate such as “She’s a sexy little thing, isn’t she?” Most of us do not associate adult attention toward a child with sexual attraction. People noticing his interest in little girls, may simply interpret it as someone who just “loves kids.” This offender prefers the company of children to the company of adults and he may be socially awkward or inappropriate when interacting with adults.

A Preferential Child Sex Offender tends to collect things that serve to support his fantasies and are consistent with his sexual preferences. In this case, since our offender’s preference is for little girls, he may collect images of little girls, perhaps clothed, candid pictures or even child *advertiser censored* and probably both. He may take these pictures himself or he may find them through other sources. He may also collect other items that are arousing to him and remind him of the little girls he wants. These other items could range from articles of clothing to advertisements depicting little girls to Hello Kitty items or any toys that little girls find appealing.

The public tends to think that once a person kidnaps, rapes and kills, he will always kidnap, rape and kill. In reality, a Preferential Child Sex Offender can engage in a lot of different behaviors that satisfy his sexual needs, but do not rise to the level of the prior offense. The offender may substitute nuisance sex offenses like peeping, indecent exposure and leaving obscene notes or sexual items for a child to find. If the item is left in a mailbox or on the front door, the resident may think it was intended for the adult female in the home rather than the little girl who lives there. Oftentimes, these incidents are not reported because the significance of the offense is not recognized by citizens at the time. If the Preferential Child Sex offender has a criminal history, it is more likely to involve sex offenses against children.

After 2004, there has been no known activity by this offender, but we’ve seen gaps of years in his activity before (1990s) and this could be explained in a number of ways: 1) He could be institutionalized (hospital or prison); 2) He could have ongoing access to a victim that satisfies his desire for a child partner through a relationship with the adult caretaker; 3) He could have relocated or, 4) He could be deceased since June 2004.

The primary value of describing this offender is to appeal for the public’s help in identifying him. This offender has demonstrated that he has strong ties to northeast Fort Wayne and Allen County. This is where he likely lives, works and/or shops. You may be standing next to him in line at the grocery store, sitting beside him in the pew at church or working beside him on the production line.

We’ve said that the offender is currently in his 40s or 50s; however, if you know someone who seems to fit the characteristics described above, but is a few years older or younger, please do not hesitate to report this information. If you have any information to provide please contact the tipline 1-866-60April (1-866-602-7745).

•White/Male/Circumcised

•Currently age 40s through 50s

•Lives and/or works in the northeast section of Fort Wayne/Allen County

•Frequents places where children are likely to be – focus on little girls

•Low- to medium-low income

•Owned/borrowed a Polaroid camera in 2004

•Hair on lower legs

•In 2004, possibly owned/borrowed a forest green pickup truck having a matching camper shell with dark tinted windows.

8-year-old April Marie Tinsley was murdered twenty-two years ago this week. One year ago, the FBI became involved, and April's case aired on America's Most Wanted. A rush of tips came in and AMW did a second segment on the case some months later. Over 400 DNA samples from people identified through tips as possible suspects are currently being processed by the Indiana State Police Crime Lab.

April has a thread over in Cold Cases, but as the ongoing work shows, her case isn't really cold at all.

April Marie Tinsley-murdered in 1988 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

From looking at the map, i would guess perhaps he lives/lived in spencerville drove south in 88 abducted the child then took her back to where he was comfortable , in 90 drove south again to leave message on barn door, then in 2004 drove south again to leave the notes, and without knowing, im speculating he left all the notes in 04 on the same day. Then drove back to spencerville which is his comfort zone, where he lived/lives.
2896890.jpg

ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART.

Here is link to my blog on this disturbing case. I have April's picture as well as a picture of the note. http://genkidjericho.blogspot.com/2009/11/1988-murder-of-april-tinsley.html

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local_wane_fort_wayne_tinsley_most_wanted_200903211719
http://clintvanzandt.newsvine.com/_...-turns-hot-the-hunt-for-april-tinsleys-killer
Above are a couple of links I put up with my blog post for April. I hope her killer is caught and brought to justice.
2nd_Note.jpg
April.jpg
2896890.jpg
Barn%281%29.jpg
Bedspread.jpg

I'm glad you found my blog usefull. I found your map interesting. It's weird how all the notes were left between the abduction site and dump site. I agree,this his his comfort zone. I wonder if they could do geographical profile on this case?

I'm glad you found my blog usefull. I found your map interesting. It's weird how all the notes were left between the abduction site and dump site. I agree,this his his comfort zone. I wonder if they could do geographical profile on this case?

I found it very useful, thank you for posting it, and helping to keep this case ongoing.

Do you know, for i have not been able to find out, if the 4 notes left in 04 were the same note as shown, just copies of it?
I chose spencerville, because 3 of the notes and the barn are more or less south of that area, where she was found, two of them are right next to each other, mailbox and bicycle. He left those two first, then drove on further south, left the third note, and then further south toward fort Wayne to leave the last one, and heading back to spencerville. another reason i say perhaps he lives in spencerville , is that is where the body was found, and since he likes to taunt police, she also likes to go by the site, or visit it from time to time to remember things, and not having to worry about driving so far south to do it, less traffic and people where he laid the body.

geographical profile i have heard of this before, in Canada a case i was interested in, they used that to get an idea of where the person my have lived..........i don't know if they have done this or not, not much from LE being released these days, and at least they do have some DNA for the future!
Its been 14 years since the last contact. first 2 then 14.
and 6 since the last.....Hm, not 14 but 6 years since last contact.
this case is confusing, since he likes to taunt the investigators, to him its the ultimate game.

but the notes, and the barn writing.
yes, i know he likes to misspell words......but are there other meanings, connections to his identity in those writings, as another way to taunt the police........The barn note, i know how it is suppose to read, but i see
(Po16) after year?
and instead of i kill 8 year old.
could it be
(I kill 8 yea Po16)?
and the note itself, the third line that suppose to read same.
could it be
(sam e)?
at the end of the note is that suppose to be o7 news?
and the end of the note itself (yoy)?

Nothing to add really other than that is so incredibly creepy. Great blog rpipergirl. Thank you for posting it.

HMMM Mr TT, I wonder if DNA can be obtained from the letters. Today we have touch DNA. All I know about the notes is that they were not all worded the same,so, they were not copies. I am so pleased you all liked my blog. TY so much.

HMMM Mr TT, I wonder if DNA can be obtained from the letters. Today we have touch DNA. All I know about the notes is that they were not all worded the same,so, they were not copies. I am so pleased you all liked my blog. TY so much.

They have DNA from the killer they had reported......for some reason that man that died in 94 confessed to both killings, but then recanted later on.
I am not 100 percent sure, but i believe DNA from the body/body-site and the notes that were left, one with a condom i believe, were all connected with the DNA.......but nothing on file, to connect with any individual.

Would be nice, if they would release the other notes, so we could compare them.

Wold like to see LE go around the area where she was found, and ask persons living in the area at the time, if there still there, to offer to give a DNA sample for comparisons...........any farm houses around there, and that was there at the time......ask them first.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back