GUILTY IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne, 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

This is a vile case and who cannot be failed to be moved by it. Here is a recent article with details of how the offender confessed to LE about the crime:

Tinsley detectives reveal new details about case, suspect

Thanks for sharing jaejae. Poor April :(

...he was in April's neighborhood, far from his own, looking for someone to abduct.

"He was trolling down the street and he told us he saw April walking down the street and he pulled up a block and waited outside his vehicle for her to walk by. He told her to get in the car and she did. He then took her to his trailer in Grabill, the same trailer he was living in [when he was caught]...

"It's scary to think there are people in our society capable of doing this. Had she been five minutes earlier or five minutes later, we probably wouldn't be sitting here today. It could have been anybody, any little kid in that area that day and that was probably not the first time he had gone looking," ...

Miller admitted to Detectives... that, after he snatched and killed April, over the years he had thought about taking a child again. He even went trolling through neighborhoods and parking lots, but he never found an opportunity.

www.wane.com/news/local-news/tinsley-detectives-reveal-new-details-about-case-suspect/1724738759

Victims: Plea deals unsatisfying
Attorneys on both sides say they're necessary

May 05, 2019

"When perhaps the county's most notorious killer was ordered last year to spend 80 years in prison, the mother of the victim wasn't happy.

Janet Tinsley told an Allen County judge in December the sentence spelled out in a plea agreement between prosecutors and defense attorneys was not justice. April Tinsley, 8, was murdered by John D. Miller, 59, and the girl's mother wanted revenge.

“You took her life, and we want yours,” Tinsley said in court. “But, unfortunately, we're not getting that.”

Miller strangled and sexually assaulted April in 1988, and the case went unsolved for 30 years before he was arrested in July at his home in Grabill. He will likely die behind prison walls, but the opposition to the deal that paved his way there is common among victims of crimes, their families and advocates for tougher sentences for criminals.

The sentences are too light, they say. Prosecutors let those accused of crimes off easy and use plea agreements to close cases, padding conviction statistics, they argue.

But defense attorneys and prosecutors say there's more to it. They must carefully weigh the facts of the case, the likelihood of conviction at trial, the cost of pushing forward with the case, sparing victims the ordeal of testifying or sitting through emotional testimony at trial and innumerable other variables.

Moving more cases to trial would clog a court system already filled with cases awaiting resolution, lawyers say...."

Victims: Plea deals unsatisfying | Courts | Journal Gazette

I was not aware of this case and I just heard the story the other day on a podcast I listen to but that episode was released in April of 2018 I believe. At the time of the podcast release the case was still cold and not been solved. I searched on WS to see if I could find any more information and I am so glad they got the guy responsible. What he did was absolutely horrific and made me furious.

Victims: Plea deals unsatisfying
Attorneys on both sides say they're necessary

May 05, 2019

"When perhaps the county's most notorious killer was ordered last year to spend 80 years in prison, the mother of the victim wasn't happy.

Janet Tinsley told an Allen County judge in December the sentence spelled out in a plea agreement between prosecutors and defense attorneys was not justice. April Tinsley, 8, was murdered by John D. Miller, 59, and the girl's mother wanted revenge.

“You took her life, and we want yours,” Tinsley said in court. “But, unfortunately, we're not getting that.”

Miller strangled and sexually assaulted April in 1988, and the case went unsolved for 30 years before he was arrested in July at his home in Grabill. He will likely die behind prison walls, but the opposition to the deal that paved his way there is common among victims of crimes, their families and advocates for tougher sentences for criminals.

The sentences are too light, they say. Prosecutors let those accused of crimes off easy and use plea agreements to close cases, padding conviction statistics, they argue.

But defense attorneys and prosecutors say there's more to it. They must carefully weigh the facts of the case, the likelihood of conviction at trial, the cost of pushing forward with the case, sparing victims the ordeal of testifying or sitting through emotional testimony at trial and innumerable other variables.

Moving more cases to trial would clog a court system already filled with cases awaiting resolution, lawyers say...."

Victims: Plea deals unsatisfying | Courts | Journal Gazette

I can't blame her. He didn't lead them to a body. He didn't come forward and confess. They found him. Should have been the death penalty.

Indiana officers recognized with national policing award for solving April Tinsley case

May 13, 2019

"Nine investigators who helped solve a 30-year-old cold case involving the abduction, rape and murder of a Fort Wayne girl are being heralded as some of the top officers in the country.

The National Association of Police Organizations on Sunday recognized officers with the FBI, Allen County Sheriff's Department, Fort Wayne Police Department and Indiana State Police with an honorable mention for its annual TOP COPS award for the arrest and conviction last year in the 1988 death of 8-year-old April Marie Tinsley...."

Indiana officers recognized with national policing award for solving April Tinsley case

636669019141721294-April-Tinsley.jpg

The Investigation Discovery channel, on Predator at Large, has a show about April Tinsley, coming up now, 8pm MT. It appears to be a new show. I will not be watching myself, but some may be interested.

ABC has a series called "Genetic Detective" and last night's episode was about April Tinsley, and CeCe Moore's work in this case. She has helped to solve so many cases with genetic genealogy. So impressive!

ABC has a series called "Genetic Detective" and last night's episode was about April Tinsley, and CeCe Moore's work in this case. She has helped to solve so many cases with genetic genealogy. So impressive!
I taped it and am watching it right now. I came here to see if anyone had mentioned this episode. So glad she helped them find that monster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back