IN IN - Burger Chef murders, Speedway, 17 Nov 1978

I agree with you Cilene. Even though the police and the local news station did not want to listen to your story Gatesareopen, thousands of people still care about these victims and are eager to listen. Your information no matter how old or minute it may seem, will help to corroborate statements made by other citizens and could contain a missing piece of information that can help solve this crime!

I agree with Keystothekiller and Cilene , I would like to hear more from Keystothekiller and gatesareopen on this case. Please dont hold back any information that could help this case go forward. These victims and there families deserve closeure.

I know Jayne's sister and her family, she's a very nice woman. So sad that this case has never been solved. Bump for justice.

I was also born in Speedway and my family was from there. My parents grew up in that area in the 70's and I remember years later my mother often talked about the BC murders and the Speedway bombings. The two most notorious crimes in Speedway's history both happened within 2 months of each other in the Fall 1978.

My mother's friend's father was the man maimed in the Speedway bombings and he later committed suicide. My mother has always believed Brett Kimberlin, convicted in the bombings, was involved in the BC murders as well. Why she believes that, I'm not sure, but her and her friend apparently believe that Kimberlin was involved in the BC murders.

That's their opinion, I'm not sure how that fits in with the theory of the beared man, fair haired man, and the others. I've seen several places online where essentially LE believes they know who is responsible but cannot convict at trial.

Jayne's sister ... I've never spoken to her about all of this and never would bring it up, I've actually known her for many years and only recently learned of the connection. So I don't have any inside information there, but I really feel for her. I hope the scum who committed these acts are brought to justice, and one day we know they will have to answer to God.

I've heard a similar story through the grapevine, but some of the names and places were different. There are so many stories, leads, suspects and theories that as a layman I don't know who to believe. No wonder the police have never solved this one.

I stand by my statements and the people were convicted and in jail long before March of 1989. This man who I believe was involved was out and on the move.

Can someone tell me-who is still alive in case?
fair haired guy
shotgun guy

I dislike the use of the terms fair-haired man, shotgun man and bearded man. Those terms probably generated thousands of useless leads for the police to follow because it describes everyone's shady friend and neighbor. The police should now name their potential suspects by using the politically correct term "Persons of Interest."

A 16 yr. boy and his girlfriend reported they had seen two men parked outside the Burger Chef and gave descriptions to the police but does anyone remember if there was ever a description of the vehicle?

I dislike the use of the terms fair-haired man, shotgun man and bearded man. Those terms probably generated thousands of useless leads for the police to follow because it describes everyone's shady friend and neighbor. The police should now name their potential suspects by using the politically correct term "Persons of Interest."

If there are suspects or suspect-types being "considered," then those terms are specific in terms of the case. It's actually easier to keep track of than Perp-A, Perp-B, etc. People generally won't know of anyone that is a "shotgun man" or "light-haired man" but if they have knowledge of the case, it helps keep them straight.

Anyways...
I was about "negative 6-mos" (so I sort-of existed) at the time of the murders, but I remember people talking about the case just about as far as I can remember. I'm from around Bardstown/Louisville Ky and my father's family came from Indiana and some were in the area when they occurred.

Can I ask a question. Does anyone researching this case know of a possible serial killer in Indiana (Northern if it matters) around 1974? I am still haunted by a case where a 13 year old was brutally murdered.

Really sad that this was not solved,

This is what I learned below:

"I've said many times, down through the years, unless someone confesses, or some policeman proves differently, I'll go to my grave still believing that they killed those kids,” said Detective Ken York.

York was a state police detective on the case from the start. After witnesses helped create composite drawings and clay busts of two men seen at the restaurant just before closing, a tip from an informant led York to a group of men who'd been robbing fast food restaurants. Facing unrelated robbery and firearms charges, the two most likely Burger Chef suspects were offered a deal.

“Total immunity if they would tell what they knew about the Burger Chef case and take a polygraph to back that up, if either one of them could say that neither one of them inflicted a killing injury on one of the victims. Both of them went to prison rather than take a polygraph test or talk about it,” said York.

(This is on page 1 of the thread for reference)

My questions:

1.) When were these men convicted in their crimes in relation to the Burger Chef murders?
2.) What were their crimes and sentences in their convictions? I understand none of them were tried for the Burger Chef murders.
3.) How much time did they serve?
4.) Are any of them still alive? Free now?

The LE investigator believes that these men convicted in the unrelated case could be the Burger Chef kidnappers and killers. My understanding was that the following morning, the restaurant was cleaned up of the blood evidence. Had that not have happened, that evidence could have been help find out who did this horrible crime, and if it was the two suspects in the unrelated conviction who did this. I read somewhere that there may have been up to four perpetrators involved in the Burger Chef murders.

Satch

I learned a couple new facts about the case... maybe this will jog someone's memory.

http://www.wthr.com/story/23973219/2013/11/14/unsolved-burger-chef-murders

There are a lot of interesting comments in the "comments" section for that article.

A former lead LE investigator for this case commented from his Facebook page that the police know the identities of the killers, but could not proceed to trial (possibly related to the cleaning of the restaurant the following morning). Other people reported specific tips they have called in to the Indiana State Police, most I had never heard of before, but they did not receive any follow-up.

I have a hard time believing this was a robbery. Four people were kidnapped, two were shot in the head execution style, one stabbed with a knife, and the other beaten with a chain. That is way beyond robbery. That had to be a planned kidnapping. Then it seems like some of the investigators are suppressing evidence. Maybe we need to focus out a little bit to see whats going on in the background.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.
Back